• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very noticeable improvements in brain fog using Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oils (which provide a similar dose to B12 injections)

Seems quite steep for non-UK.
Price per one bottle,
Brainstorm 69€ (no 3x2 offer from what I see)
b12oils 49€ (33€ with 3x2)

CCC

I admit this thought makes me nervous, too!

I live in the same country. If the spiders don't get you, there's the snakes, the dingoes and the famed drop bears ;) We're not worried because we have none of those man-eating things like lions, tigers, wolves or real bears.

To be serious, though, I'm more worried about our mate Greg retiring somewhere much nicer. He's really quite amazingly generous with his knowledge.

Tella

That's useful to know.

The methylcobalamin + adenosylcobalamin oil that Greg recommends for ME/CFS is in stock:

https://www.brainstormhealth.co.uk/?s=b12
Why not hydroxycobalamin injections? Ive read they’re the best type and not toxic which other types can be. Are u saying these aren’t effective? They helped me tremendously but I’m now quite stuck and not sure if they’re helping anymore.

Hip

Why not hydroxycobalamin injections?

It is an individual thing, and some people might get better results with one particular form of B12.

But one study found that ME/CFS patients taking methylcobalamin responded better than those taking hydroxocobalamin.

Methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin are the active forms of B12. Hydroxocobalamin and cyanocobalamin are the inactive forms.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Kinda makes me think about what happens if something bad happens to Greg... He does come from a country where even the spiders can kill you. Hope he has somebody to pass the baton onto

I've felt that way about ME/CFS doctors too. Dr Lerner's office isn't too far from where I was born and at one point I was thinking of going there since it's just one state over. When he died, sadly, I wondered if an associate would take over his work but that never seemed to materialize. I guess there was no associate. :(

(Anyway, end of my sidetracking this thread.)

Kathevans

To be serious, though, I'm more worried about our mate Greg retiring somewhere much nicer. He's really quite amazingly generous with his knowledge.

Indeed he is. If you send him your thyroid evaluation, your OAT orNutrEval or Hair Minerals Test, he will work with you individually to assess and guide. He’s a researcher and wants to figure it out and help...

Hip

Sorry to be that guy, but there are some cancer associations to be aware of:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6642017/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30341095/

Yes, I just did a search, and there have been a few threads on the B12 link to lung cancer, like here and here.

Looks like it complicated though, this article says since B12 can reduce the risk of some cancers, while it might raise the risk of lung cancer:
Many studies have found that an increased intake of vitamin B12, folate, and vitamin B6 can lower the risks of breast cancer and cervical cancer.

However, it is not effective for lung cancer. On the contrary, some studies suggest that a long-term use of vitamin B12 supplements can increase the risk of lung cancer, especially in older men.

So you would have to look at the whole picture to determine if B12 can increase or reduce the overall risk of cancer.

The folate supplementation link to colorectal cancer is particularly complex and interesting. Folate is a good preventative of colorectal cancer, BUT, if you happen to have some incipient colorectal cancers already, folate can hasten their growth. This is why nations that have introduced folate fortification of foods have sometimes seen an increase in colorectal cancer diagnoses to begin with, followed by a long-term decrease in colorectal cancer.

Last edited:

dannybex

Sorry to be that guy, but there are some cancer associations to be aware of:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6642017/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30341095/

Here's Dr. Russell-Jones reply regarding these studies:

In paradoxical B12 deficiency, you have very elevated B12 (as most people with CFS have), yet the B12 in inactive, or largely so. This is the same in the studies where they have looked at cancer, and they find this odd curve where cancer rates are higher both at lower B12 and also at higher B12 levels.

As you know B12 is responsible for methylation and methylation is required to suppress the expression of some cancer genes. This then explains why at low B12 levels you get some cancers that are more expressed. It also though explains it at very high B12 levels - such as you see in CFS. Hence the higher the B12, then more of the B12 is inactive, and in OAT you see the traditional markers of B12 deficiency get higher and higher, with MMA being one that most people would know, but there are a whole swag of other markers of B12 deficiency that get paradoxically higher as B12 levels get higher and higher.

Paradoxical B12 deficiency. Hence, as levels get higher, methylation gets lower (as everyone on the Phoenix rising site would know - I presume), and so the ability to turn off cancer genes also gets lower, so the rates get higher.

There are a couple of other quirks, in that certain steroid dependent cancers also have higher incidence in paradoxical B12 deficiency, because COMT, which uses SAM, the "universal methyl donor", is required to inactivate things like estrogen, so one would expect ER+ cancers to be higher in paradoxical B12 deficiency.

Last edited:
@NotThisGuy I am in the UK and get reliable deliveries of Greg's oils. He uses tracked DHL and it takes very approximately 6 or 7 working days to receive the package.

As you're in Germany, have you come across VitaBay's methylcobalamin skin cream on Amazon? It is made there and packs a decent punch at 5,000 micrograms per 0.8 ml. It is also relatively cheap. I have tried this and there is no doubt that it delivers a significant dose of B12 into the body. However I personally discovered a greater need for adenosylcobalamin more than for methylcobalamin which is what this cream contains. This preference is probably a personal quirk of mine rather than something everyone will have.
How were your results. It seems more like a skin repair cream and Is the urea in it safe?

Hip

Has anyone tried "Transdermal B12 Spray" from https://www.salesatdrmyhill.co.uk/transdermal-b12-spray-50ml-48-p.asp ?

It seems good value at £11.50 for 50ml compared to the oil but only if it works! Any experiences?

The specs on Dr Myhill's B12 spray allow comparison with Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oil.

A dose of Myhill's spray contains 5 mg of B12 as methylcobalamin, and the website says about 6% is absorbed. So that's a systemic dose of 0.3 mg.

Greg's transdermal B12 oil contains 2.5 mg per dose, and he told me 80% is absorbed, so that's a systemic dose of 2 mg.

It is odd though that Dr Myhill's spray comes in a glass bottle, as methylcobalamin is very sensitive to light, and can be broken down and destroyed in a matter of hours in bright daylight.

brenda

Has anyone tried "Transdermal B12 Spray" from https://www.salesatdrmyhill.co.uk/transdermal-b12-spray-50ml-48-p.asp ?

It seems good value at £11.50 for 50ml compared to the oil but only if it works! Any experiences?

I have been using this for a couple of weeks and am up to 2-3 squirts but not every day. This is from years ago when I failed to use methb12 on Freddd's protocol and gave up on it. That led to hydroxb12 injections which did nothing. I seem to be fine on it but can't find adrenob12 that I can take. One has unwanted fillers and MegAaol Dibencozide has gluten. If anyone wants a full bottle of that, recently bought and opened but untouched when I saw gluten included, I will sell it for £8.