• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very noticeable improvements in brain fog using Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oils (which provide a similar dose to B12 injections)

Johnmac

Aurelius, did you persist with the B12 oils? If so, how did that go? Thanks...

So I have received the B12 oil which @Hip mentioned. I used it yesterday and quite a ride last night. I would be very grateful is some people could help me figure out what was happening:

I took the first dose around 2pm, applied on my biceps.
Because I did not feel any effect from it, I took a second dose around 8pm, applied to same area.
Around 1am/2am I was going to bed. That was the time when some side effects kicked in.

Meds:
- 20mg SSRI

Side effects:
I want to mention first, that I got similar side effects in the past from other supplements/foods, so I am not sure 100% that it was in fact the B12 or some food I ate, or if it was the B12, that it was indeed the substance itself or just my weird body reacting to a substance it doesnt know. I will test this further in the future after I let it settle for a couple of days.
- First side effect was increased irritability in the following sense: imagine feeling the struck of a lightning after hearing the clap of a hand. My wife was doing some things in the bathroom at that time, and I could feel (!) every movement/noise from that.
- I got presleep images. Similar from when you play Tetris or a videogame for too long before sleeping.
- Gasping for air when falling asleep. Similar to the falling sensation that you can get before falling asleep. Every time I was falling asleep I had to immediately come back up with a loud gasp for air.
- Later tachycardia with a hot flush.
- in general increased tenseness / similar to a state of panic, which I was not in.

Effects today:
- I think a feel of improved clearheadedness is there.
- Better yet overall more positive feelings which seem oddly related to past memories (a smell, a song will trigger it).
- Both effects could possible also be due to: Lack of sleep; nice spring air today which I generally enjoy

Again:
I got similar side effects from supplements/food before. As they never had anything in common I never could for the life of me figure out what is the reason. Actually I thought that it had something to do with my stomach/gut. So this now being a transdermal oil is not helping my hypothesis XD
Altough I am not looking forward to it, I will replicate the whole test in the future. But any guesses from other users are more than welcome.

Johnmac

How are you going with the B12 oils now, Balrog?

Thanks....

I started on Greg's B12 oil 6 days ago, one squirt of the adeno/methyl oil daily.

Prior to the oil I had been supplementing with daily 1000mcg cyano injections, methylguard+, neurchondria, and oral B12 tablets (cyanno, methyl, hydrox). This mix was yielding the best results to date but I was not stable (daily fluctuations) and had regular crashes.

The B12 oil is clearly absorbing. A daily squirt has eliminated need for the injections and B12 tablets. I'm still taking the Thorne supplements. I am starting to back slowly off the methylguard+ and based on my T4 labs I will be adding in the ISeMo drops from Greg - ordered.

I am not an expert by any means, just sharing my personal experience. For what it is worth, I have very distinct symptoms that first show-up to tell me I'm in trouble. The most objective are blurred vision, IBS, and balance/stability. I've not had these for 5 days now, and this is the first time my vision has been clear and stayed clear in 3 years. I will obviously be monitoring things closely.

As a side note, I have cooked-up a hypothesis for what I am experiencing (hypothesis - a somewhat educated guess...) I suspect that I was probably born with less than optimal methylation, it seems likely this is a common scenario. This could explain a lifelong cold intolerance, border-line anemia, and anxiety issues but nothing so bad I sought medical help.

In my hypothesis, this inefficiency increased very slowly with age (pretty sure this is well documented). It is certainly true that symptom severity has increased in the last 10 years (I'm 64 now).

Last part of the guess, cancer showed up in 2018 and between it and chemo I was pushed over the edge into full-blown functional B12 deficiency and CFS. I certainly know that since completing chemo in april of 2019 I've been trashed and the B12 supplementation is the only thing that has helped, with the exception of activity management to help disrupt the PEM cycle.

It's obvious there are a lot of different scenarios that lead to this place and I'm not recommending anything, just sharing my experience. Also, it's only been 6 days and I need to see where I'm at later as time goes on. Still, what I'm experiencing so far seems worth sharing.

PS - one other interesting aspect of B12 supplementation has been an obvious increase in metabolism and GI processing. I can also attest to feeling a lot of weird stuff the first 2 days with the oil. I was very sleepy and yet I felt like my body was "buzzing." Regardless of what it really meant, I had the impression lots of things in my body were waking up big time. It was not uncomfortable for me. It felt like I was healing. That only lasted 2 days.

Hip

So, nearly three years on, how did Greg's B12 oils & co-factors pan out?

Still benefiting? Effect on energy? Cumulative or ad hoc?

I was taking the B12 oils for years, and continued to get some benefits.

I found taking the B12 once weekly would have benefits for my brain fog, and I'd notice cognitive decline if I forgot my weekly B12 dose.

But since getting COVID in April 2022, which generally worsened my ME/CFS, I found that these B12 oils no longer seem to give me that cognitive boost.

Last edited:

Jadzhia

I found taking the B12 one weekly would have benefits from my brain fog, and I'd notice cognitive decline if I forgot my dose.

But since getting COVID in April 2022, which generally worsened my ME/CFS, I found that these B12 oils no longer seem to give me that cognitive boost.

Could be your B2 has been tanked after having Covid, if B2 isn't functioning then all the methylation enzymes won't be able to use B12 - there are over 200 of these enzymes.

Johnmac

Thanks Hip - good to know. I assume you were taking the ISeMo & B2 co-factors as specified?

I was taking the B12 oils for years, and continued to get some benefits.

I found taking the B12 once weekly would have benefits for my brain fog, and I'd notice cognitive decline if I forgot my weekly B12 dose.

Hip

I assume you were taking the ISeMo & B2 co-factors as specified?

As far as I was able to notice, Greg's idea of adding B2, iodine, selenium and molybdenum as cofactors to his transdermal B12 oils never really made much difference. I tried the B12 with and without these cofactors, and I seemed to get the same results either way.

(Though I have taken high dose selenium daily for 10 years now without stopping, so that's one supplement I always take. And I usually take folinic acid each day too.)

Johnmac

Thank you Hip. Good to know.

I'm putting together a file of these responses from people who were on the oils several years ago - which will hopefully give a better idea of longterm benefit (or not).

As far as I was able to notice, Greg's idea of adding B2, iodine, selenium and molybdenum as cofactors to his transdermal B12 oils never really made much difference. I tried the B12 with and without these cofactors, and I seemed to get the same results either way.

(Though I have taken high dose selenium daily for 10 years now without stopping, so that's one supplement I always take. And I usually take folinic acid each day too.)

GhostGum

I guess I should add my bit here, since I have been using them for maybe 7+ years, it just so happens I am revisiting this approach and my genetic data lately due to a very rocky year and mental health crisis.

Interestingly years ago though, due to the CFS/brain fog/sensitivity to supplements and who I was at the time I found it hard to juggle contrary information and the supplements themselves, didn't do the daily B2 which I should have been, or add B3 properly and never managed to add folate regularly neither, but I will always remember using that B12 oil and it feeling like having my brain scrubbed clean, and have used it regularly, maybe at least once a week for those years. Maybe this actually got me to moderate recovery back then, since I have ended up travelling, much more clearer cognitive function in general. This has also gradually improved over the years to where I am probably the clearest I have even been in my life, but there are probably all sorts of factors here, brain training, shrooms, iboga, meditation, breath worth and such (the shrooms probably played a role in the crisis this year lol)

Now to current day I was just going over my old emails with Gregg and noticing he emphasized my need for folate due to the DHFR++ plus a couple of the other snps, so will be taking this more seriously moving forward and putting a tighter daily regime together. Only for the first time in all these years too am I doing daily B3, 500-1000mg Niacinamide, this is suppose to be necessary for the DHFR++ as well and I think it is helpful, as Hip said in his initial post I think the B3 seems to smooth over any issues with the B12 causing too much energy, or for me making me a bit flighty. B2 daily now for me too and I guess it is for life.

What is encouraging for me these days is I am not so over sensitive and wont react so much to supplements so maybe I can roll with a solid protocol for the first time and see how it goes, could just be as well that I am supplementing properly and the cycle is going smoothly. Gregg seemed to emphasis daily use in small amounts, even b complex several times a day, so might build up to using a small squirt of B12 daily and see how we go.

I am running with a lot of other things atm though too, have embraced supplements due to the crisis, Nattokinaise, NAC, high quality Turmeric powder, black seed/cbd oil, most of this is to counter the likelihood of some minor long covid. Red light therapy as well, breath work, hopefully some cold showers again soon.

Johnmac

Thank you Ghost Gum - I am glad you chipped in.

We're in similar boats - both using the B12 weekly or so for several years. Greg told me off about this when I told him: "You have a DAILY B12 requirement, not a fortnightly one." I'd assumed I was replete & just needed occasional topping up.

But actually resuming daily B12 (+ co-factors) has helped with a couple of minor ailments, even after 3 weeks. Hasn't impacted my big problems (histamine & salicylate food intolerances; fatigue & brainfog) so far.

BTW, for the B2 I just take a multi-B a couple of times a day.

He's told me not to worry much about folate - different genetics I guess.

One thing that struck me this time is Greg saying that B12 deficiency takes several years, and "You won't notice much while it's happening, & you won't notice much while you're recovering." I think he means it's subtle & slow both ways.

Sounds like you are throwing everything at your issues - well done. I'm in FNQ: it's cold showers most of the year here.

Jo86

Firstly: this video - don't believe this has been posted yet, so here:
(very interesting)

Second: I'm about to place an order for the first time. I'm guessing I need the dual Adenosyl/Methyl B12 along with the cofactors, so:
New Iodide Oil + New Selenite Oil + New Molybdate Oil + New Vitamin D3 Oil.

I'm thinking of going for just one of each, given the price. But is that even clever ? Do you guys reckon it's a good move as a first test, before ordering some more later ? I'm thinking of getting cheaper B2 from amazon or sth to go with that (he also has a B Complex oil on the website).

Third: I haven't read about anyone that had consults with Dr. Russell-Jones, just a few members talking about email exchanges. Did he exchange for free with you ?.. did anyone here attempt to have a standard paid consultation (phone/video) ?

dannybex

Third: I haven't read about anyone that had consults with Dr. Russell-Jones, just a few members talking about email exchanges. Did he exchange for free with you ?.. did anyone here attempt to have a standard paid consultation (phone/video) ?

Yes, he'll answer emails for free, but it's a probably a better idea to join one of the GRJ Facebook groups where you'll probably find your question has already been answered. Here's the main one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/946944078825502/about

I did offer to pay him a very, very nominal fee one time, and he said that if he were to do a typical consult, he suggested it would run a LOT higher -- based on what others were charging.

dannybex

Hasn't impacted my big problems (histamine & salicylate food intolerances; fatigue & brainfog) so far.

One thing that struck me this time is Greg saying that B12 deficiency takes several years, and "You won't notice much while it's happening, & you won't notice much while you're recovering." I think he means it's subtle & slow both ways.

I don't have the quote here, but he's also said that a decent (negative) reaction can mean one's going in the right direction. I'll try and find the quote or quotes in the next couple days.

Re salicylates and histamine: For a few years I thought that glycine (glycination) was the way salicylates were processed, until I had an email exchange with Margaret Moss a couple of months ago. She said the main way sals/phenols are detoxed is via sulfation, then glucuronidation -- and that glycine is a backup.

I emailed her after reading this article, which has all the details (minus the glycination).

https://www.nutritionist-resource.o...i-react-to-histamine-sulphites-and-salicylate

Johnmac

Thanks for the vid - will have a look.

I use methyl/adenosyl - but I do that because I told Greg my symptoms & that's what he recommended. He's very obliging with information - so you could ask him.

I got the ISeMo but I get my D from sunshine (which is the ideal source), plus cod liver oil (which has other benefits). Greg never objected to that. Nor to me getting my B2 from an ordinary multi B.

I ordered one each of the above first time--but now order 2 or 3 at a time because I am confident that it is likely doing a good job. (I had a whole bunch of -B12 symptoms; they have abated somewhat since resuming the oils; progress has been slow but quite distinct--as it is with B12.)

I have no idea if he does paid consults. He has always been incredibly generous with time & info by email, for me.

Hope that helps.

Firstly: this video - don't believe this has been posted yet, so here:
(very interesting)

Second: I'm about to place an order for the first time. I'm guessing I need the dual Adenosyl/Methyl B12 along with the cofactors, so:
New Iodide Oil + New Selenite Oil + New Molybdate Oil + New Vitamin D3 Oil.

I'm thinking of going for just one of each, given the price. But is that even clever ? Do you guys reckon it's a good move as a first test, before ordering some more later ? I'm thinking of getting cheaper B2 from amazon or sth to go with that (he also has a B Complex oil on the website).

Jadzhia

I've only done email exchanges with him, but those have provided plenty to think on. Plus the FB groups contain a wealth of information and quotes from him. People add any new info from their own email exchanges with Greg so they can add to the knowledge we already have.

I was using all the oils at one point, but went back to orals for I/Se/Mo. I found they were making my clothes smell and so now I just use the B12 oil. I have bought the Vit D oil but haven't started that yet, I think I will only need about 3 drops to give me 4000 IU daily, so it shouldn't be too much oil to add in to my regime.

Since my B2 tanked after having Covid, and also unfortunately the B2 pills I was taking seemingly having changed in formulation, I am now experiencing a return of some symptoms I'd gotten rid of many months ago thanks to starting B2! So currently trying to find a good B2 replacement.

Jo86

I did offer to pay him a very, very nominal fee one time, and he said that if he were to do a typical consult, he suggested it would run a LOT higher -- based on what others were charging.
Not gonna lie. The LOT spelled in all capitals there. It scared me momentarily a bit.

I'm imagining the conversation something like: "- So Doctor, what about if I paid you, say, 50 dollars for a consult ? - I'm afraid that offer won't cut it. - Oh. I see. So, how much would you take for one ? - I'd love to be accessible to all but alas time won't allow it, so I have to charge a hefty fee. It's: One. Million. Dollars. - Sigh........... Alright, fine then. Do you take Paypal ?"

Btw thanks a lot for the FB group. I just answered their 007/Secret Agent questions and applied.

Jo86

Apologies if this has been mentioned (I've scoured for it though !) but I've just ordered the full RnB protocol (I + Se + Mo + B12 both forms) and I'd like to know what the best B2 form would be to go along with it.
Preferably the most "bio-available" ofc, and I take it just regular oral is fine. Dr. Russell-Jones gives the dosage for it on the website (first start with 2 mg, etc...), but doesn't mention form.