• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by Howard

Howard
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I've written several blog entries since the last one. Or at least, I tried to. But the words aren't sitting right, serving little purpose beyond their slow meandering into nursing home oblivion. So I am formatting this effort differently. Meanwhile, I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my...
Howard
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
P.E.M. (not so bad) Today was odd. Really, it was. But why cut to the chase when I can offer you a blow by blow detailed account regarding mundane actions that no one possibly cares about? Yes, indeed. There's that. But let's see how this plays out. We'll start out low and slow, going back to...
Howard
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Essentially, Her Idea (not mine) (I am almost afraid to unleash this, but - ) So here's where we're at... Nurse Felicia was doing her thing last night (mind you, she's actively engaged in six overnight shifts per week). With her, I am regularly formula fed, and she as well can procure...
Howard
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
The Day after the Day By noon the intestinal bloating was again becoming intolerable. My go-to cure, ginger powder, wasn't positively impactful in the least. And neither was intestinal massage, applying a heating pad, nor wishful thinking. Heck, as I've just awoken on a Tuesday morning, my...
Howard
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
90% of Everybody Here I have a new friend. His name is Federico. He's a guy. A male. And there aren't many of those here. As it pertains to employees, an easy 90% are women, if not more. And male residents may be outnumbered at an alarming ratio of 3 to 1, but I'm less sure on that one. Either...
Howard
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
November 13th, 2021 Stopping Just Short Not much is happening here. Or if things are actually happening, I'm missing out because ...I am most often fully outdoors, basking in the peacefulness. Today I stayed in the shade from 915am all the way until … until Michaela showed. She hadn't...
Howard
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Somewhat Briefly (my words aren't exactly working, so please bare with me) I've got innumerable crazy good things going on here back at Nursing Home Headquarters Highlights: The appointment with the neurologist went well (tests scheduled).. not all that physically taxing either. My...
Howard
8 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
November 4th, 2021- A Great Great Day!!! Today (Thursday, November 4th) was maybe the best day I've had in the past…. the past several years? Yes, a veritable series of positive events came to pass. So let's dig in, shall we? Slumber Seeking Yesterday I was in the most physical muscle pain...
Howard
2 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I had to share this right now. I went outside today for the first time since 2015 (besides hospital visits via ambulance, etc.). And I spent 77-minutes in the sunshine!!! Exhilarating. Wow! My skin is red and I'm even showing signs of being sunburnt, but heck… Vitamin D, right? The physical...
Howard
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I'm starting to feel a little defeated. I am taking hits from every angle. And I am only able to hold it together because of the people here. You're it. WARNING: I am about to rant and rail. I would expect most of you have dealt with similar obstacles. I am not unique. Still, I wish to share...
Howard
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Critical Mistakes Were Made I don't even know how I am doing this right now. And if I look back only a short ways, I wonder… what the hell is going on in my world? I can barely comprehend all of everything that is happening. The Past 26 Days I voluntarily temporarily moved into a nursing...
Howard
7 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 29th, 2021 I decided to bypass "Part 1: The Everlasting Super Downer" for fear of losing my audience. I hadn't realized how ugly things may seem from the reader's perspective until rereading it just now. I also bypassed "Last Chance to Abandon Ship" - which was intended to be my...
Howard
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 24th, 2021 Warning! Two days worth of incoherent blogging, all in one place. Many many words, probably way too many. Please don't overdo it. A Riddle If Howard watches a silly meaningless football game on the television, which of the following would most likely prevent him from...
Howard
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 22nd, 2021 Don't Go Fund Me The fine people who run the Arizona state healthcare system recently sent me a letter indicating my need to pay $180.90 per month (in order to continue residing in my luxury suite). This is based upon my income. Income? No, I do not have any. So I spoke with...
Howard
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 21st, 2021 - 1133pm Nurses Unmasked Perhaps I am making slight progress socializing the nurses. I have two regulars regularly coming in here, casually removing their masks as they relate.. making sure I am seeing them, making sure that I am catching a glimpse (before putting their...
Howard
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 20th, 2021 Okay then, I just re-read what I wrote here and it's not super-positive sounding - still, be unconcerned. Sometimes these words come from a more emotional place Incommunicado Kind of a nothing day. Someone (I think it was the Physician's Assistant) came in to ask about...
Howard
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 19th, 2021 - Yesterday into Today Better(ness) This morning I achieved total victory, in regards to today's Commode Olympic Event. I did not stumble, nor did I fall. My moves were athletic, while my form was easily maintained. My return to the mattress had me safely landing, face...
Howard
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 13th, 2931 Nope, that's not right. October 18th, 2021 Topical Due to recent self generated turmoil, I am not sure how to approach this blogging effort. I've yet to parse out parameters. Erect boundaries. Or forge an outline. I mean, what can I safely discuss that's not...
Howard
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Nursing Home Motivations: to Write and Wrong I get a lot of things wrong. I'm human. Perhaps I get more things wrong, than right. I don't know. And I don't even know if that matters. But really, what does matter here? What is the point of being alive? Why do we continue pushing forward...
Howard
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
October 12th, 2021 - 2351 hours This was Monday (before my P.E.M. nemesis crushed me full-on into the mattress) Mundane Morning I suddenly came into consciousness at 4:44am for my inconveniently scheduled blood draw. Thankfully, Mr. Phlebotomist spiked me right in the wrist, piercing the vein...
Back