• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Nursing Home Challenge: Decorate My Wall

Essentially, Her Idea (not mine)

(I am almost afraid to unleash this, but - )

So here's where we're at...

Nurse Felicia was doing her thing last night (mind you, she's actively engaged in six overnight shifts per week). With her, I am regularly formula fed, and she as well can procure supplies from the supply room (when available).

Anyway, I mentioned to her that people want to get me, and give me… things. So I asked her point blank, what "things" could I possibly need?

As each of you know, my phone and tablet seem to be enough. And really, those are the only two things I had when I used to live in a home environment (besides my cat… which isn't an option in the here and now).

So, after near-silent moments ticking away, Nurse Felicia suddenly became brilliant, awashed in luminous light.

"Why don't you ask people to send you pictures, or posters? This room is depressingly barren."

So it is. So it is. Besides the main wall being riddled with bullet holes, the crooked clock, and the splotchy paint/cover up job, there's little to see. In fact, there's no real reason for anyone to keep his or her eyes open.

So what do you think? Decorate my room… adorn my walls.. cheaply?

If this does not sound like an altogether outlandish idea, why not send me something cheap and easy to hang (or adhere) with masking tape, duct tape, or even rogue thumbtacks? A found item in your closet. An old ripped poster that's lost all meaning. A rough sketch of the Juniper tree in your yard. An inspirational saying. Torn pages out of a magazine.

Anything goes!

But here's the thing. In doing so, DO NOT invest more than $5 (that'll likely cover postage, I suspect and hope… ). I'm certain each of us is on a budget, if not penniless.

Dispatching something that's meaningless and valueless is just fine. Really, it is. Why? Besides the obvious reasons, I may be here for an extended period of time. It could be several years running, or it could be months and months less than that (before I fly the coop in some manner).

And truthfully, stuff goes missing here (I sleep with everything important next to me on the mattress or underneath my pillow). So if it's an object affixed to the forward wall, I won't be able to offer protection. That's where the valueless aspect comes into play. Even now, I've worn the same pair of shorts outdoors each of the past 14 days. Nope, I'm NOT losing this pair.

If you choose to participate, I'll offer up the mailing address with a PM request sent. Though with many of you, I already know your names, feel free to use Phoenix Rising aliases! That way, we can bask in the aura of mystery. Or invent a new alias. Riddle me that.

Again, NO OBLIGATION (and really, this could be a particularly stupid assignment .. but I'm forever quite unsure in many regards).

Additionally, many here (staff and residents included) offer to buy me whatever it is that I need or require. But really, THIS is the sort of thing that would help me feel connected. Otherwise, my needs are otherwise being met.

Rest Not Assured

Got my 4 hours of sleep in. Not enough. Never enough. But you play the hand that's dealt. And for me this morning, it was my right hand, the one that blood gave < 421am > And this was NOT a thing, because I was already long awake. My roommate was being attended to earlier. Lights on. Voices talking.

Even so (in a manner exuding high politeness), Jeff tried hushing the staff.

"It's okay, he's wearing headphones," says the inconsiderate somebody.

I was. And still am (..wearing EAR MUFFS). But her words at that volume cannot be entirely muted. Nobody's can.

So I gave seven vials, seven fresh warm offerings to the Lords of Future Recovering. Or the Diagnosticians of Blood Science. Personally, I do not care which. Just please, fix me! Haha.

May the results prove worthy.

Heart Rate Gate

Finally yesterday my heart rate dropped back into the normal range, clocking in at 78bpm's. I'd been averaging in the high 90's range and upwards (past four days), but I felt the sudden shift as I lay outdoors. Literally, within my abdominal cavity there existed prominent movement, gurgling, and a host of odd shifting sensations, each notable in its rarity.

I'm hoping the decreased blood pumping will afford greater physical (muscle) energy. Yes. A lot of this illness is "hope" focused and aligned. I mean, what else is there?

Okay, and yes. Acceptance. Surrender. But sometimes hope is a necessary thing.

Now at long last flatbellied, I may effectively contend with the Angry Return of the Bedsore! Yeah.

Nurse Felicia is going to do what she can to get me a softer mattress. This one's hard as a concrete slab.

Hmmm… Almost time for VITALS! Hooray for Us! Let Vitality Reign!

Okay then, I have this whole other entire entry (entrée) that I was going to present, but it's ever-developing, so let's wait and see, shall we?

Have a joyous day,
Howard

Comments

So what do you think? Decorate my room… adorn my walls.. cheaply?

My dentist has a lot of far side cartoons regarding dentistry on his ceiling over the dental chair. I almost bit his hand once because I was reading them while he was working in my mouth and I started to laugh.

Anyway, this could be fun.

(Hey!!! I found the one that made me laugh on that fortunately, uneventful day.) >>
1637302082003.jpeg

What a brilliant idea!
is there something you absolutely would hate to look at?
Like pink?
Or is everything ok with you?
(I’ve actually been thinking about how you should have a poster to look at, to be somewhere else from time to time, but a patchwork is a much better idea)

edit: a comic was a good idea :D @Judee

What a brilliant idea!
is there something you absolutely would hate to look at?
Like pink?
Or is everything ok with you?
(I’ve actually been thinking about how you should have a poster to look at, to be somewhere else from time to time, but a patchwork is a much better idea)

edit: a comic was a good idea :D @Judee

It doesn't matter. Really. Whatever you think is best. :)

@Judee Dentist? Okay. Perhaps not. But other medical professionals, sure, why not. :)

Yeah... It's 315pm and my appointment was 15 minutes ago and the medical transport has yet to arrive... so yeah. They are still gonna take me there whenever transport arrives .. because..???

Their office closes at 4pm... we are 20 minutes out... so this should be interesting. Probably just a sightseeing trip. Why not right?

good stuff :)

Decorating the wall sounds like an outstanding group project.

Some of us, early on, thought we should send you inflatable life jackets and other flotation devices for the purposes of Escape From Alcatraz.

And rescue bus tickets. The far back bench seat reserved for- the SPRUNG Howard.

And business cards from law firms, already on retainer.

I take it, if I was to find, say, a retro Playboy Calendar for your wall, its vulnerable to being harvested by the late nite crew?

Got many blank walls here, myself. Part of my punishment. I was to do art for my own walls, and well rumors about that not working out well are old news.

Their office closes at 4pm... we are 20 minutes out... so this should be interesting.

Yikes...these situations are when I still get panic attacks. I hate trying to coordinate scheduling for two different entities...it almost never seems to work out for me.

@Howard, you have a really decent attitude about it...at least it looks like you do "on paper." Maybe as my Mom used to say, you're "angry enough to spit nails right now."

Edit: It was nickels not nails. Memory has not been great lately. :(

Last edited:
I take it, if I was to find, say, a retro Playboy Calendar for your wall, its vulnerable to being harvested by the late nite crew

I truly do appreciate the escape plans. Creative :) - Luckily I'm slowly gaining allies as the days pass.

DO NOT spend money.
No, the walls are relatively safe, I suspect. Unless there's serious value involved. With women (almost exclusively) in and out of our room, naked Playboy women may not be appreciated. Perhaps Sears Catalog models (circa 1971) instead!?

@Judee

Still waiting on the medical transport to the appointment. Problem being… their office closed three hours ago!

Disappointed, not angry. I experienced too much joy today to be bothered. My life of late has been a series of fascinating experiences. And I cannot quite put my recent experiences into words. Lots of gratitude though. Nothing much is phasing me.

Do you have any favorite bands you'd care to share names of? If I were to run into any music related free wall paraphenalia?

BTW: that song by the Dead Kennedys?- I had to play this guitar bit from that as its truely amazing, and I guess the famous guy died this week.

I offer up ProRIFF: Holiday in Cambodia- the first 1 minute and twelve seconds of this Cover:

Holiday In Cambodia is sort of a coincidence in that I was checking out this other band, from Texas. Who do some amazing stuff. And have a type of guitar sound which at times is like surf guitar.

(music history detail if interested):

I'm 4 years old, growing up in California and my big brother has surf guitar albums. Dick Dale and the Deltones, that type of thing.

there are these people called beatniks.

So this type of guitar is just imbedded in my toddler genes. and My grandaughter toddler is headed here soon, I'll be able to further corrupt her!

From Texas:

Khruangbin

Bulletin Board & accessories on their way in order to protect those lovely walls. Wouldn't want to damage them. @Judee....comics for ceiling would be a great idea even if squinting up at them.

If the big H. would release his address, cards could cover the BB & it would make it very lively looking. I'm sure plenty of folks on this Forum want to send their best wishes. @Rufous....OK, I live in TX & even watch Austin City Limits on occasion....where do you manage to find these obscure bands? Yours, Lenora.

I truly do appreciate the escape plans. Creative :) - Luckily I'm slowly gaining allies as the days pass.

DO NOT spend money.
No, the walls are relatively safe, I suspect. Unless there's serious value involved. With women (almost exclusively) in and out of our room, naked Playboy women may not be appreciated. Perhaps Sears Catalog models (circa 1971) instead!?

@Judee

Still waiting on the medical transport to the appointment. Problem being… their office closed three hours ago!

Disappointed, not angry. I experienced too much joy today to be bothered. My life of late has been a series of fascinating experiences. And I cannot quite put my recent experiences into words. Lots of gratitude though. Nothing much is phasing me.

Right....I think you'd be safer with the Sears Catalog (and PC to boot). Of course if all else fails, I have a lovely wildflower picture here...Yours, Lenora.

..where do you manage to find these obscure bands?

You Tube memory banks indicated a video had been played before.

OH? I can't remember this song or those people at all. It seems my daughter ran into them, then she forgot their name so : thanks You Tube.

Well, dang, I threw a bunch of art and new age things away when I turned Christian 3 years ago. I had some "vibrational" prints on canvas of Teal Swan's paintings. Supposedly, if you focused on the paintings, you would match the vibration and manifest it. It never worked, lol, and I believe differently now, but I think those paintings would look great on your wall, Howard (oh, but they're in ashes now). Here are some examples: Crete, Positive focus, and comfort.

Crete
1637474580230.png

Comfort
1637474791137.png

Positive focus

1637474847344.png

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
4 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Howard