• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tella

Hi I used to be severe and now am moderate. I believe recovery is possible but depends on many factors and it’s complex and wish each of u and myself only more improvement each day.
I need advice please.
Next week I have a 3 day meeting which I have to attend and I have to speak for half a day twice and one full day. Right now talking and cognitive stuff seems to send me into a crash (not as severe as before) the most and the quickest. I couldn’t talk pretty much at all for months when severe. Now I can handle a few hours. So I’m concerned about the meeting. And I have to sit upright but I currently recline on the sofa most of the day. So do u have any tips that would help me endure it? I’ll get a lunch break when I will try to lie down but otherwise no breaks and it’s a full day thing. I’m willing to use caffeine (don’t drink it), energy drink, anything to help me get through. Healthy, unhealthy, as its just for 3 days. Any ideas? It starts on tue so would appreciate replies.
When I get to my limit when talking my voice changes, I get fatigue and soreness in body, throat n need to lie down, heart rate goes up and I feel shaky, etc. typical stuff. I can’t afford to just stop talking during the meeting so how do I get through it? I also can’t afford to make the people present think I’m sick (they don’t know about it - it’s not an environment where I won’t be allowed to rest or have their sympathy If I’m unwell- quite the opposite so I need to remain calm and appear well too). Thanks in advance!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Have you tried compression stockings? I tried them and they made my bp go up but they also made my heart hurt and I seemed to get an awful type of rebound when I took them off.

However, some people do say they work for them. Also there was a stomach compression thread recently where some people were talking about that.

I also seem to be able to stand longer when I take huperzine A which @Learner suggested. However, it affects my pupils--constricts them massively--and it can make my double vision worse. (I think it is a vasoconstrictor.) This is also suppose to help with cognitive issues.

These are the other things that helps my mind veto my body - licorice, zevia cola, dopa mucuna (sometimes), securil probiotic (which is the same bacteria in emmental cheese).

Man, I dread this for you because even though those things help a little they never help for so many days. Praying God gives you some sort of reprieve or workaround.

If I remember anything else I've seen lately I'll try to remember to come back here and post it.

Also I wouldn't try these things on the day you have to do these presentations in case they work opposite for you or give you some other unbearable reaction. Also don't try them all at once.

Praying.

Last edited:

Tella

Have you tried compression stockings? I tried them and they made my bp go up but they also made my heart hurt and I seemed to get an awful type of rebound when I took them off.

However, some people do say they work for them. Also there was a stomach compression thread recently where some people were talking about that.

I also seem to be able to stand longer when I take huperzine A which @Learner suggested. However, it affects my pupils--constricts them massively--and it can make my double vision worse. (I think it is a vasoconstrictor.) This is also suppose to help with cognitive issues.

These are the other things that helps my mind veto my body - licorice, zevia cola, dopa mucuna (sometimes), securil probiotic (which is the same bacteria in emmental cheese).

Man, I dread this for you because even though those things help a little they never help for so many days. Praying God gives you some sort of reprieve or workaround.

If I remember anything else I've seen lately I'll try to remember to come back here and post it.

Also I wouldn't try these things on the day you have to do these presentations in case they work opposite for you or give you some other unbearable reaction. Also don't try them all at once.

Praying.
Thank you! Yes I was gonna wear some on the day but u convinced me now.
I just wanna thank u that u gave me the best advice I was looking for - praying and trusting God. As I know He will give me strength to go through everything He wants me to do. If not, then it’s not in His plan. I appreciate all your help friend. I’ll do what I can but it’s all in His hands. Couldn’t have gotten a better response and I’m so thankful! Thanks for praying for me
And I appreciate any ideas anyone else may have :)

splusholia

I have this problem with talking too. Throat lozenges can be quite helpful sometimes. Lots of water and electrolytes. Sometimes ibuprofen helps me function for longer, too (as a short term thing).
Can I ask what helped you move to moderate?

I would avoid taking a new herb/supplement for the first time before a talk :( Also taking it in your final days before the talk.

Are you already very aware of how you react to caffeine? I think some people get too anxious or hyped up.

I would avoid carbs.

I think you might need to say that you have allergies and that is why your voice changed?

Rufous McKinney

I have this problem with talking too. Throat lozenges can be quite helpful sometimes.

definately also have something to help the throat....

I've used the elderberry cough syrup- for that purpose...(it boosts the immune system, so I don' t take it often) but its very throat soothing.

I also can’t afford to make the people present think I’m sick

Is there anyone there who could support you a bit during this. For instance, maybe somebody should know this may be difficult for you, and why. Can you sit in a supportive chair? If my body is fully supported I can go longer than on a hard upright type chair.

I pace and move around when I gave presentations alot- back when I could do that. I had to end it because I'd never sleep the night before: ever. I had to do lots of that and it was never a problem,then it got harder.

blueberry

If you already have any kind of mindfulness practice, you may find it helps you get some respite in the moments when you aren't having to talk. It helps me a lot, keeps my attention in the present moment, rather than spinning off into worries about how the whole day is going to go. Good luck with it all.

lenora

Many times adrenaline will kick in and carry us for as long as we have to go. Has there ever happened to you in the past? That's my hope for you at this point.

Also, lozenges meditation, a well prepared speech and blame the changes on allergies. I was going to suggest that you be straight up and tell them you're sick, but I see that wouldn't go over well.

Yes, I'd be leery about caffeine if you haven't actually tried enough to see how it affects your body. I wish you well. Yours, Lenora.

Decaf green tea helps me with alertness and also reducing anxiety. I don't think it has much risk (like caffeine does) but decaf would still have a small amount of caffeine in it.

Say that you sprained your ankle and that's why you are leaning on the chair?