• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pictures from Out There (around the nursing home exterior)

I've been meaning to write of late, but time is conspiring against me. Well, it's actually a toss up. The lack of time available versus the distraction of pain.

Do I have time available? Why yes I do. Each of us could squeeze in dozens or hundreds or perhaps even thousands of words per day if we really put our minds to it (and if we weren't in the midst of a horrible PEM session!). And I have been writing, now and again. But looking back on the past couple of weeks, my writing is negatively enhanced…. or perhaps, positively detracted?

So what I will do instead is post pictures I have taken in and around the nursing home property. The idea is that you will come to know where it is I spend most of my outdoor time. Is it important that you know this? Not at all. But a certain percentage of you can't get out and about on your own. And perhaps you're curious what Arizona looks like, the way I see it. My neck of the woods. Why not, right?

Please feel free to ask questions. When questions are asked, I often get down to brass tacks. Or perhaps brass cufflinks. Supplies are limited. Intentions are good.

Much, most, and many of these pictures will involve clouds. Clouds help give perspective. I think. At least for me they do. Plus I love their ever-changing shapes and sizes within the realm of three-dimensionality.

Rainbow Clouds (close proximity storm) Facing East - super picturesque thunderheads nearly above me

IMG_20220819_163643.jpg

My Pedestrian Crossing - facing northwest

IMG_20220821_090019__01.jpg

Green Stuff Grows - if you guessed that all the greenery is unusual, you would be correct... we've had nearly 5 in of rain in the past 2 months! 8.40 inches is our normal yearly tally > facing west-northwest

IMG_20220821_090359__01__01.jpg

Crash Pole Night Splash -

IMG_20220904_212245.jpg

19,000° of Illumination - facing due west > this particular storm occurred during a shift change, so I had many staff members hanging out and watching along with me in front of the building.

IMG_20220909_204141__01.jpg

A Parking Lot Less Paved - facing west-northwest around the back of the building

IMG_20220910_145138__01.jpg

Remnants - facing west southwest > one of the storage units was destroyed by a severe monsoon season thunderstorm

IMG_20220913_110204__01.jpg

Green Growth - facing west northwest > nope, that's not grass in the foreground, just weird green stuff that'll die within the next 30 days and become brown

IMG_20220814_154817.jpg

Palm Spies in The Skies - facing south

IMG_20220820_102124.jpg

Look at Me, I'm Black and White - back parking lot facing east

IMG_20220910_085928__01.jpg

Reflection 3 -

IMG_20220910_085940.jpg

I Represent - facing west southwest

IMG_20220910_144755.jpg

Puddle Plus - facing south-southeast >

IMG_20220912_102148__01.jpg

Canopy Orange'd - facing due west

IMG_20220919_181834__01.jpg

Building (obscured by a cloudscape) - facing south, where I dwell

IMG_20220910_110000.jpg

I hope these pictures are worth a thousand words. Or at least 736 words. The economy here ain't what it used to be. At least, that's what they tell me.

Thank you for checking in.

Take care,
Howard

Comments

This might be a stupid question but.......how is it that some of the sky pictures look like they are spread out like a fan (i don't know another way to describe it) and others aren't? An example of what I'm trying to describe is picture #6 and #12 (counting from top to bottom). has that fanned out perspective of the sky vs the last picture. Is it just the angle that you are holding the phone? Maybe just the formation of the clouds themselves giving it that perpective? I like that fanned out perspective.

We have a lot of green stuff here too in my neck of the desert and also had a LOT of mosquitos for a couple of weeks.

Lots of those yellow flowers too.

I find palms to be interesting trees. Most seem to weather storms well (compared to other trees) and I'm wondering why that is? If they're planted, they seem to be tall from the very start and I wonder why they don't fall over in a heavy breeze. It obviously has to do with the root system

Actually I'm surprised that most trees have a rather spread out (instead of down and deep). We're told it's b/c of the watering, but I don't always buy that. Often those in forests, etc., aren't watered at all. Question being: Why don't the root systems go down in search of water? Is that palms do? You said to ask questions @Howard, so there you have one.

Also, if you're suffering from PEM don't overdo things and don't feel that we need to be entertained. Also, make your forays across the bridge shorter when you start going out again. You know that I'm not trying to spoil your fun....but like everything else, pace yourself.

@Tammy....yes we're plagued with mosquitoes at the present time. Pesky things, aren't they? Well the summer is almost over for those of us who hang around hot climates. We'll soon see what the fall and winter will bring. Take care of yourselves. Yours, Lenora

Really fabulous photos this round, @Howard.

The walls with tree and puddles and clouds are extra striking.

Palm trees just have alot of adaptions to putting up with a sudden intense wind storm.

They are monocots- like a giant grass. So vascular bundles are through the whole trunk, not just a thin layer underneath bark like we see in other trees.

they are very very FIBROUS. so the leaves are incredibly hard to tear up. They put up with alot of wind.

The orioles build nests in palm trees, and they like to make fake nests out of that fiber. which hang beneath giant leaves...hanging nests hard for other birds to enter.

Any orioles around there?

how is it that some of the sky pictures look like they are spread out like a fan

thats the artist thing skies and clouds do...(plus maybe the setting Howard is using)

Perspective 101 its called. There is a horizon which vanishes. and the entire sky also disapperrs into that distant vanishing point. The sky right above our head is close, the sky many miles far distant is far: ifs vanishing. So it narrows and looks fan-like.

That will show up the most in a panoramic or far distant shot, but less so if your looking at the nearby cloud (like Palm Spies. above)

I came back to enjoy the photos again....

and wonder what the yellow flowering plant is, there in a low spot in the field...

maybe is Hooker's evening primrose.

(can you obtain telephoto capacities?

WARNING: the lovely hurricane weather has moved on and its going to get hotter again, hopefully not too intense!

I did think of a question: How are you scheduling your feedings...in between your "field trips" or do you take it with you somehow?

This might be a stupid question but.......how is it that some of the sky pictures look like they are spread out like a fan (i don't know another way to describe it) and others aren't?

Having minor problems of late - ok though. Will explain later. Data issues, health, privacy ..

I think @Rufous McKinney kind of explained it best. Really, it's just the angle at which I'm holding the phone / camera. I suspect. And I think it sort of does a fish-eye effect if I alter the magnification size. Sorry, I'm not very technical. :)

In regards to mosquitoes, there are tons and tons of mosquitoes here. Or there were for most of the summer. Unusual. But none of them bite me. Or sting me. Or whatever it is they do. They land on me, and then they fly away. I am too full of poison. Or something. Other people here, receive bites head to toe.

Any orioles around there?

I've never seen an Oriole here. Although I have seen a couple of Cardinals over the years. Not many, mind you. Hummingbirds? Yes. And of course, I'm watching one of our local Hawks right now. It just landed on the building across the way.

Unfortunately, I am not a bird person. Or a plant person. Really, just a cloud person. :)

HI Howard, Old Boy......I do hope you'll soon feel better.

Yes, that's me, obssessive about things....and then once they've been learned, they're finished. However, while I"m in the clutches of wanting to learn, reading, time flies and it's just me and what my interest happens to be at that moment, week or season.

Sadly, it never included things like being a decent seamstress, painter (except walls, I'm good at them....whole houses, really), but I can get obsessed with trees, flowers, nature generally. More of a hobby, really.

We've been having nothing but beautiful blue skies, no clouds that I can determine. If I ever get off my property again, I'll be sure to notice. The pics have been beautiful. Now forget us and take care of Howard. Yours, Lenora

I've never seen an Oriole here.

mostly black with orange/yellow orange...sort of Jay sized...attractive birds- keep an eye out for them...and those hanging nests! They blow around in wind storms- I'd find them in my yard....

So many ideas, so little energy! Seems as though we contracted the wrong illness.

understatement of the Year...here at least.

QUESTION: how is Karaoke night going?

Yes, what happened to Karaoke night....and now the holidays are coming.

You have plenty to do, Howard. (I see you hiding under your blanket!) Yours, Lenora

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Howard