• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Not as Bad as the Sounds / Cookies and Questions Answered

These blog entries wouldn't be about the same darned thing over and over again if different things were happening… here.. at The Facility. Luckily, there are subtle differences, day to day. Or maybe not. Perhaps every blog entry sounds exactly the same.

255am

There's this really loud rhythmic noise that's been sounding off for the past 35 minutes… it sounds like a vacuum cleaner and an oscillating high powered hair dryer combined. Or maybe it's a crowd of people chanting in unison. And despite wearing my all-new sleep mask, I can tell that the lights in my room continue to flash on, then off, but not synchronized with the repetitive noise.

And then my roommate is moaning intermittently, or sobbing, or making amplified gerbil sounds. Meanwhile, the speed of rhythmic oscillating increases, or perhaps it's that the interval shortens. My grasp on reality is tentative.

But hey, I'm not even angry right now. I get it. This is a test. All of this has been a test, up to and including everything having to do with this illness. So the question is… How much can Howard take, and handle?

The feeding formula problems. The succession of missed appointments. Having been unceremoniously dumped…..

< deleted >

Eh. I'd originally listed 37 different horrific/troubling/neglectful/traumatizing life events that have taken place in these past six bed bound years. But each of you already knows (or is able to deduce) what's happened to me within this timeframe.

So let's move past this needless dwelling, this pointless deciphering of the past, shall we?

ANSWER: I think the odd strange oscillating noises were generated from an out of whack CPAP machine (and if the darned thing is IN whack, he's in some serious trouble). Yeah, I saw it sitting out on his nightstand today … tubes and a mask and a bunch of dials on a rectangular shaped box

Questions from the Panel of M.E./CFS Experts:

@lenora

Have you received a poster or two by now? Although it seems you don't have anyone to hang things.

Yes, the guitar poster I posted about (and provided the picture for) previously… and another just arrived item today). But I am waiting until I've received enough items before ensnaring a staff member.

Where are those pleasant nurses, or your friend who represents you?

I see my regular nurse during the graveyard shift five nights per week (and yes, she is both nice, and helpful). And unfortunately, my advocate is greater than 2,000 miles away (my legal advocate/friend is closer.. about 35 miles away, but she's more of an "in case of emergency, break glass'' kind of person .. which is fine and dandy).

@christiankatz

I have more questions. Were you able to sneak out of your room without Jeff knowing you were leaving, and if not, did he know why you left?

I was approached by an assistant director (while I was lounging outside), and she explained that Rosa could move my possessions into my new room immediately… while I remained outdoors, basking in the glorious sunshine.

That evening (after having moved), I asked my favorite nurse to explain my circumstances to Jeff.

"Howard moved because he's l always wanted a window view, and a room suddenly became available… " Both of which were true. I had her leave out the more specific details, the ones that may have been hurtful.

Do you know why 90% of the residents in your wing quit talking? My guess is dementia, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Honestly, I think each of them simply ran out of things to say.

But really, I have no idea at all (why they no longer communicate regularly). Some say a few words, or gesture.

Like someone mentioned before, is it possible for you to try sipping your formula?

I've tried sipping formula. It's just that anything that goes into my stomach (besides applesauce), brings about nausea. And anyway, I tend to (slightly) gag on any fluid.

The Light of Day

This is how my morning started … something I wrote (and sent) as the dawn encroached upon my morning reality:

To whom it may concern,

Apparently, my feeding formula order was never confirmed by < this facility >, so I am officially out of formula. I called the distributor and placed the order just now. I was told my formula and related supplies will arrive in 1 to 3 business days (likely by Friday).

I also requested that < the distributor > go directly through me from now on, so that I may confirm and track my formula/supply orders on my own (going forward). They will contact < the facility > directly if I am not available or responding.

I shall also contact the person who used to be my wife, to see if she has any formula leftover at the house.

Lastly, I have the dentist appointment today.. hoping transport comes through. :)

Howard < blank >
Room xxo
(###) ###-####

Joy of joys… it turns out they had some formula bottles stashed in the nurse's med room, so I was only down and out for a couple of hours. Yay team! So, I do have 4 bottles left, which will carry me into Friday.

The Day Unfolds

Besides the formula feeding debacle… I stayed inside all day because I knew I had a shower scheduled and I knew I had the dreaded dentist appointment to look forward to… except neither of those events happened.

Today's CNA explained that it was my roommate's turn for a shower (it's not), so I missed again. Last week I missed shower time, too… because they changed my shower day when I moved into this room (I did shower the next day).

So, whatever… right? It's just warm wet water. I'll have another chance on Sunday. It's not like I have to wait another six years before I shower again!

Then the whole dentist thing fell through. Again. I'm not going to waste words on that event. Really, there's not much to say. I did, however, become confrontational with the transport dispatcher. Yes, I loudly voiced my displeasure regarding their modes of operation. Then, with my blood pressure peeking, I made an effort to reach out, to share my frustrations.. but nobody was reaching back.

In between these oversights… there was noise. The television played with elevated volume, and seemingly, with an increasingly escalated sense of urgency as the hours progressed (from 8am until 1255pm).

No comment

But really, it wasn't all that bad. I like Westerns, just not that loudly.

Eat This

Oh, and after everything around me fell apart, I took a huge risk. I took a small bite out of a gluten free cookie (similar to an Oreo), and the cookie tasted wonderful.. just like a cookie should. I even swallowed a bit and it didn't make me nauseous.

But… I did experience unwanted side effects almost immediately: lethargy, brain fog, slight confusion… and then, after more closely scrutinizing the ingredients… boom, right there! It was right there all along. Potato. In the cookie. But why?

So the cookies will be donated to my former roommate.

After recovering slightly from the brain fog, I sampled item #2. Bada Bean Bada Boom broad bean snacks. And the first flavor I tried out was BBQ Style.

Taste buds activated. Intermittent intestinal activity noted. Didn't swallow. Felt decent afterwards, until two hours later. A "too full" and icky feeling. Perhaps I overdid it. I am ever so slightly encouraged, though.

Time Passes - Tick, tick, tickkkk...

630pm - Wednesday, Dec 8th ---

They seem to have forgotten about my feeding formula again this evening… but I get to rip open a new bag and keep the formula flowing with my emergency secret stash supply (I no longer miss any feedings, they are merely delayed or incomplete :)).

And damn, it's 10pm now and nobody ever checked to see if I needed formula. I'm not quite sure if we have a real live nurse on duty, as it's been over 12 hours since I last saw one. But I'm okay. I am being fed. My need is being met.

Anything Positive?

Yeah. I texted with a friend. For an hour. It helped. I laughed a bit. And now I'm better able to face The Return of the Blasted Blasting Television (there was a much appreciated quiet interval lasting from 5pm - 8pm).

Today's Texting highlights:

Her - "I was really good at leading a double life"

Me - "I was pretty good at living in double-wides, does that count?"

Her - "I need to be really grounded though"

Me - "Just remember to plug in your third prong"

Her - "It just seems that god had better available options rather than bleeding every month."

Me - "Right, but I think he was trying to give women a break. Give them some ME time away from the menfolk"

Her - "Almost all of my friends with this illness are strange, and have been black sheeps etc."

Me - "That sounds pretty racist to me. Why? They aren't black sheeps, they're African-American Sheeps! Gosh darnit! LOL"

Me - “Thanks for helping me, too. I was in a really crappy place. But now I'm in a karaoke place”

I will attempt to post images of my received gifts later today in an entirely separate post… if I can figure it out why I'm having problems (I think I need to somehow shrink the image file sizes) -

Take care,
Howard

20211209_194305.jpg

Comments

I can’t believe the struggle you go through every day!
I sometimes feels overwhelmed, it’s so much paperwork and different this and thats that needs to be taken care of, but when I read your blog I realise it’s nothing.
And your in a caring home!
You should have nothing to care about and just float through the day!

I have two questions for you.
How’s the situation with your mom for the moment?
And : tell us about your first job ever?
Or something else from the past, something that happened before all this..
A childhood memory?
A dog event?
The time you saved the day?
The situation that you turned into disaster?
The friend you texted with, how did you meet
Make your pick

I think maybe your brain needs a vacation from this place,
I know my brain would have

You should have nothing to care about and just float through the day!

In most respects, I'm doing a lot better in this environment than I was at "home" - having interested people around and being able to interact daily yields untold rewards (I am rather content, or even happy, far more often).

So, the highs are higher and the lows are ceaselessly aggravating, but the ups and downs I am going through currently are more similar to a real life experience, versus the previous six years lacking most forms of normal everyday stimulation.

In regards to the difficulties, I'm at least better equipped to fight past and through than anybody else here (not that I should have to).

And every glorious moment spent outdoors (typically 8 hours per day) outweighs the intermittent awfulness of being in my room.

Thank you for the questions. :)

And I hope you are doing well coping with snow, cold, and other winter related things!

Note to all: I figured out how to compress the images of the Wall Art, so I'll be able to post pictures (I think) ---

I am really happy to hear you have a formula/bag stash....seems important at this place.

I do hope your appointment transportations manifest soon!

I think its pretty important we have friends and support systems given what we go through especially. Your friend sounds a 'bit' interesting though with a former double life :lol:

Also, thats like level 10 eating a bbq bean chip.
Jus sayin.
I think you can do applesauce because its a simply digested one ingredient item. Hint, hint. Do they have natural jello? Collagen and gelatin are soooooo healing for the gut and many issues connected.

HI Howard. You sound......normal, shall we say. You're quite right when you say that life is up and down and you're forgetting all around the woods at times. Still, your big frustration seems to be your lack of formula (please post the name and where to get it...would you do that for us?) It doesn't seem fair that you should starve at the end of the hallway.

Your roommate and his paraphernalia (?) should take a trip out of that lovely window beside you....who would notice? Can you entice him over to your side? Lucky you, you could find him under the tree the next morning and wonder how in heaven's name such a thing could happen, who would do it? the usual criminal mindset of questions. Don't forget to look innocent while this is going on. Just remark that you noticed it had been unusually quiet during the night. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time. The staff, not wanting to have a star taken away, would readily agree that he had seemed somewhat down. It's just a thought.

Just think....someone thought they were escaping him and ended up in Jeff's room, not even by the window.

A thought: What about putting subtitles on the TV for him? Perhaps he doesn't know how it's done and that would help. Also send him a note telling him that the noise bothers you if he can't talk to you normally. What sort of relationship do you have with him anyway? Does he like sports (I hope so).

We could keep him supplied in snacks...would that help, or not? (No, bad idea...he enjoys them in the middle of the night.) To be honest, you haven't exactly told us much about this fellow except that he does walk into and out of the bathroom. My guess is that musical rooms is played very frequently around The Facility.

I'm glad you have some new friends....and that you get along well together, fulfilling each other's needs. That's great going. Keep it up.

@Hufsamor....I enjoyed the pic of the new fallen snow. A pretty scene.
Also, a very important question for you, @Howard: When were you the happiest in your life? Can you remember a moment when you actually stopped & thought about it?

I don't know....you're a guy who has a lot of friends, look on here you have Hufsamor, Christian, Sunshine & Rufous (when she ever gets her fingers on the keyboard. Forgive her, she has been ill) and, of course, me. So there.

Don't get discouraged, each day has its own rhythm it seems. Are you listening to any Xmas carols....although apart from the Chipmunks (and I love them), they can sometimes pull you even lower well, not all. I swear that from Halloween to New Year's its just one big blur for me. It just happens! Yours, Lenora.

I've been trying to think of foods you could try.

Freeze dried fruit might be okay though it probably wouldn't promote peristalses. The other good thing is that most of the time these are just the fruit and no additives but double check before buying any.
Here's just one I found: https://www.amazon.com/Brothers-ALL-Natural-Fruit-Crisps-Variety-Count/dp/B001942GAI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=253ER95OQPRXM&keywords=freeze+dried+fruit+ebt+eligible&qid=1639169335&sprefix=freeze+dried+fruit,aps,204&sr=8-5
Don't do mango though. It is really too sweet and will make your teeth hurt.

There are also fruit leathers but these have more ingredients: https://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Isla...90b6e&pd_rd_wg=H8dRB&pd_rd_i=B001CTO0YA&psc=1

There are also gluten free crackers:https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Mills...s=gluten+free+crackers&qid=1639168785&sr=8-51

Though on this brand, I use the plain sea salt version as it has fewer ingredients. Still the ground seeds can be rough on IBS so I don't eat them often.

This is actually the brand of cracker I use the most. It has the fewest ingredients. To get one box though you would have to build a Fresh order (same if you wanted to try the cracker above this one in plain sea salt. https://www.amazon.com/Good-Thins-G...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I also thought of a 3rd food but have forgotten it again :( so I may post later if it comes back to me again.

Edit: unsweetened chocolate chips...that was the 3rd thing. Not sure if you said you could have chocolate though. Pascha and a few other brands make theirs as allergy free as possible. Research before buying!!!
Enjoy life (not unsweetened) give me a bad headache. I think because their chocolate is mega-fermented. I can smell it when I open the bags.

Also with the fruits I would try freeze dried instead of dehydrated other than maybe the fruit leathers. Just a suggestion. Freeze dried are easier to chew if you did decide you want to swallow some.

Last edited:

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
6 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard