• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Incessant Light / Downgrading on a Sharp Curve

This is The Way of The Weary

I smiled and waved to my all-new roommate as Betsy wheeled me past him. He smiled, too. Great start, right? Then he asked Betsy for the television remote control, the one for the lone television in the room.

Ugh!

"I like to watch television. MeTV. I don't sleep at night, so I need the TV on all the time."

So, that's what happened all night long. Television.

Not only that, he needs all of the lights on all of the time. Why? Not a clue. But fortunately, I'm able to combat the incessant stimulation by flooding my brain with … aural stimulation. Music. Complex music. Oddly structured compositions. Non-standard metal. Deconstructed jazz. And so on.

So I stick the ear buds in my ear holes, then fasten my industrial strength ear muffs to help block out my neighbors motorized bed vibrator, and then it's time to mummy-up!

I don my smooth and silky sleep mask, but the light still finds its way into my eyeballs, just underneath. So, I wrap my faded green blanket around my head. And that's that. Now I just need to sleep.

And I did. For three hours.

The music stopped at 249am, so I restarted it. But because I was angry (not practicing acceptance), I was unable to sleep much at all afterwards.

Then at 628am Betsy came in and woke me up, in a nice way. Gently. Quietly. So I did sleep again after all. Hooray for slumber!

Yes, I feel fatigued and frustrated, but unless this roommate dies sometime soon, I'll need to adapt. Surrender. Let go. And nap outside in the courtyard during the daytime.

At least I have my "Hu" comfort cookies!

Well, no I don't. My little sister forgot to re-order them. She's moving into one of her new houses this week. In the meantime, the 200 relish packets will suffice.

Housed

Oh, by the way… my elderly mother was supposed to move in with my sister right about now, but complications have arisen. My sister has to babysit my niece's two little dogs for the next two months. And apparently, babysitting two little dogs AND my mother (simultaneously) is an impossibility. Sooooo… it'll be another two months before my mother …

Eh. I won't go there. The important thing is that my cookies are on the way. Maybe. And also, that my mother is doing well, mostly hanging out at the park with (or without) her friends. She has a daily destination in this near perfect weather. Motivation. And is deriving satisfaction and joy.

Oh. I'm around a fair amount of elderly folks each and every day, and none seem as positively attuned as my mother.

That was Yesterday

I took several brief naps outside in the courtyard today, doing my best to catch up. Mostly I failed, but I did receive a surprise gift while sunning… a brand new spray bottle filled with cool water. You see, Betsy drove to the store during her lunch break to pick it up for me. Very nice of her, right? I mean, she really didn't have to do that.

Needless to say, the water spray proved invaluable, especially considering the effects of evaporative cooling upon my skin. That's the advantage of the dry desert air. It doesn't take much moisture to cool it. And that's why Evaporative Swamp Coolers used to be so prevalent here… far cheaper than owning and operating air-conditioning units.

419am

It's the guy from that awful 60s sitcom, The Beverly Hillbillies. So I think that means Barnaby Jones is on TV. And my roommate Billy is watching the heck out of it.

I did sleep for nearly four hours. And maybe that's enough. Maybe.

My body says it's not. But why listen to my body?

Billy and I conversed earlier. And again, he seems like a nice fellow… who is afraid of the dark.

But there are no rules against anything here. Nope, absolutely everything is allowed in Roommate Land. EVERYTHING!

Ummm… gonna try to go back to sleep now. My muscles don't like me. Achy. Cramping. Tired.

Six Forty Four

"Stahlwald" is playing loudly into my ear holes as I unwrap the layers encasing my skull. The band is called Nightmarer. Yes, indeed. An organized disorganization of dissonance plummeting beneath the sonic realm of what remains my grasp on realities cruel unusual twisting fateless demise into a riveting daylight consciousness spent napping and mentally collapsing synapses deprived and arriving at wrong conclusions confusions and illusions utilizing the slight of hand to hand her gentle grasp encompasses my essence with warmth and loving and lasting. She's feeling my truth revealed. Her touching. Wordless implications. Sometimes it's nice, plain, and simple. Yes. Let's do that instead.

In any case, I do not believe I slept additionally. My muscles aching. I am full of CFS again after three nights of not sleeping soundly. Reversion… into the version I'm not liking. This happens fast.

Howard Cha

20220303_150041_optimized.jpg

Comments

This is frustrating to read—I feel for you. Though there are no rules where you reside, surely there are humans there who can attend to your particular situation and accommodate your need for no lights on at night while you sleep and a reduction in TV consumption by your new roommate from 24 hours to 12 hours.

I experienced this kind of hell during an extended psych ward stay—both the TV invasion and the light bombing at night from a certified lunatic—but my severely fatigued and symptom-riddled body would not stand for it. Anyway, after becoming emotional with the staff to the point of a near complete breakdown, I got my wishes accepted and could then sleep in peace, though my sleep itself is never peaceful.

I kindly suggest an uprising, taking a stand, so that your physical health does not suffer considerably as a result of that perfectly nice roommate of yours selfishly subjecting you to his quirky, odd, and unintentionally harmful habits.

Oh Howard, i don't like this.
You have come so far.
I agree with the above.
This is not optional but inhumane.
It must certainly be understood by this man
that the lights cannot stay on all night.
Melatonin only produces in darkness.
Can he do a night light?
Talks must be had this weekend.
This is just as important to your recovery
as vitamin D.
How can we assist you?

Hi @Howard......Rules need to be established as soon as your with your new roommate. He doesn't own the room, he's also a patient there and that means he has to learn to share. A night light is a great idea. Surely there must be people who are like you? Have you asked to be moved when they need a new roommate?

My mother used to tell her roommate (who was in a coma) to "shut up" all of the time....well, she did moan and groan a lot (the other occupant). On the other hand she would cover her up and try to comfort her....I think you just get sick of whatever they're doing after a certain time.

One day we went in and asked where Charlotte was...."She died during the night and they got rid of her," was the reply. Really, it made me wonder how she treated us as babies! Actually she liked babies, they never talked back or had thoughts of their own that could be expressed. Anyway, we all survived childhood and actually loved our mother dearly. But she did have a way about her!

I know you can't....but she would have just marched over, taken over the remote control and turned the TV off. End of story...literally. Too bad your Mom can't visit you and talk to your roommate....she may be able to help the situation.

I don't know...your Mom sounds like she's perfectly happy where she is. Of course we don't want her to have a heat stroke in June, but to have access to a park is heavenly. Does your sister live near an area where she can have time to herself (your mother, that is.)? Well, you can't worry about it and sometimes mothers can really take care of themselves.

Perhaps you could spend the night out in courtyard...you won't have to worry about the sun, or the person in the bed beside you. No other suggestions, but he does sound very selfish and rules should be in place. Yours, Lenora.

A good start for the evening/night, Howard. Perhaps you're just too nice...what do you think?

No one wants to be difficult....well, I take that back, roommates there seems to have a special knack, but darn, Howard, if he continues to backtrack put on your snowshoes? You're just a nice fellow. Yours Lenora.

@Cloudyskies

Sorry to hear about your similar difficulties (had similar issues with past roommates here).

My uprising was subtle, or mainly, subliminal. I had a couple of carefully strategized discussions with a friend over the phone. Of course, my roommate is always within earshot… so I'm betting he may have picked up on my clues.

And to everyone else, there are (somewhat unbelievably) no rules in existence governing resident behavior. Can the staff make suggestions? Yes. But the only real option in these situations entails playing a cruel version of Roommate Roulette. As some of you recall, I could do A LOT worse.

@lenora

I have the remote control in my possession, always. When I leave the room I set the channel and volume for him… with assistance from CNA. The volume and on/off controls do not work from my bed, so if I want to change either, I require assistance.

Daytime volume is set at "19" - overnight is a less robust "9" -

My former and now deceased roomie kept the volume between "66" and "99" !!!! -

Yes. My mother is relatively happy, it's mainly a matter of self-neglect. She has memory difficulties, so I must employ various techniques to suss out potential issues… or to figure out who it is that may be taking advantage of her.

My daily management requires no more than 30 minutes, so it's probably that I am sometimes weary of the constant responsibility. If / when anything goes wrong, it's on me. Unfortunately, I am a poor administrator even for myself. My strong suit is abstractions!!! Lol

Thanks for the support, and also, for putting up with my complaining. Overall, I am grateful, because my daily life is pretty darned good here. :)

sorry to bother you again, but this is bothering me- How did this work at my Mom's place?

I think I now have figured it out: the sound for the TV's is on a hand unit thats up by your pillow and thats how different people in multiple rooms watched their own TVs with out the whole place turning into a Frey's Technology Store.

I may have found a quasi solution to your light and sound assault problem:

Three of these, they even come with grommets!

I will sponsor a Go Fund You: tormented bed ridden person seeking sound/light relief in regulated Adult Care Facility- please help.

Ha! Billy the Roommate has been most agreeable. Slept again. YAY!

I think this'll work out.

I used to utilize similar sound proofing in the old pretending-to-be-a-rockstar days! :)

Thx

I used to utilize similar sound proofing in the old pretending-to-be-a-rockstar days! :)

That you achieved some quiet is great news as:

1) it redeems humanity; (that by speaking with roommate, issues can be resolved favorably)

and

2)there actually is an almost fix, as I couldn't not get over that when I typed blankets block sound I found Sound Blankets, under moving cargo?

the first thing I typed was sound and light proof tents. That somehow led to cargo blankets.

OK, @Howard, before Rufous's very good idea is put into motion, two things to think of:

l. Will the overhead tracks be able to support the blankets? It seems to me that one fell on a nurse's head while she was just standing under it.

2. Outgassing can last a really long time on some things...ask the manufacturer about that problem.

3. I know I said two points, but is anyone there capable of hanging these blankets?

4. Would Billy use prayer beads or a rosary quietly? Can you reason with him...for example, can he understand that he's actually training his mind/body to behave this way? (Seems to be a common problem in a Nsg. Home...I wonder why they can't set up a separate TV room.) Whatever happened to your first roommate or don't you care?

5. I'd definitely start checking with the smokers about where they go in the summer. Probably a very small air-conditioned room. Hack, hack....not good for you unless you also wear a gas mask. Yours, Lenora.

Outgassing can last a really long time on some things...ask the manufacturer about that problem

oh I bet those drapes outgas BIG TIME.

Sometimes I think something should just be invented, that I should do this inventing and then kick back and enjoy the proceeds of that success.

So: how many people are sharing a room and bothered by light and noise and need a drop down mini isolating sound and light proof Microcosm.

Hey- let's patent Microcosm.

My strong suit is abstractions!!! Lol
Good use of this word and thank you for teaching me something new (the word), its certainly a word I associate with ME/CFS now :)

the quality of dealing with ideas rather than events.

I am glad to hear you are making progress with your predicament.

Daniel

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
4 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard