• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improved Me / Warm Regards / Mattress Matters

Notable, not Quotable (Tuesday)

When I wake up in the morning these days everything is fairly decent, everything's pretty darned good for me. I no longer feel as though I am poisoned, my body really doesn't ache much at all, and I am no longer dreading the repercussions of any and all physical movement.

Sure, I can only do so much, but my recovery times are diminishing across the board. Mind you, progress is slow, very very slow. But I don't care, not at all. Slow but noticeable is better than no improvement at all.

Last night I was able to sit up in bed, unsupported, for nearly 60 seconds. And I did not seem to suffer any consequences afterwards. Balance is somewhat difficult, but I'm willing to take on that challenge.

Again, this may not seem like much, but it truly is. I am grateful and thankful and all sorts of things.

Defeat Heat

Summer is creeping up and creeping in, which will likely be a problem. 85 degrees today, near 90 tomorrow, and then gradually cooling as the days move forward. So this will be a test. A precursor to my outdoors post-mortem.

A former rehab resident just sent me a small black umbrella, something I can use to fend off the sunlight. I also plan on attaining a spray bottle, something to put water in and bring outside with me each day. Of course, my outdoor time will gradually become more and more limited. Not immediately, but within a month or two.

Today, Betsy saved me from myself. She came to check on me just after noon, after I'd been in the direct sunlight for the past three hours. She asked how I was doing, and I told her I was okay. It's my natural inclination to tell people that everything is fine. I'm used to doing that. No one wants to hear about me not doing well. If you continually tell people you're not doing well, they'll stop asking you how you're doing. And they'll also stop communicating with you altogether, eventually. Nobody wants to associate with a complainer.

So I am making mental preparations, in hopes that I'll be ready once the heat comes on.

Linda said she would tend to me daily, helping me meet my segmented sunshine needs (assuming the overburdened CNAs aren't able to do so). The reason why I'll need a dedicated person, is that I won't be able to tolerate the 100-degree heat for more than ten minutes or so, nor the intensity of the sunshine burning my skin. So she promised she would bring me out into the courtyard, and then bring me back inside within the requested time frame.

Although, I'm not sure where I'll spend my time once I get back inside. Pickings are slim.

There's the cafeteria area, high ceilings and as spaciously large as a small middle school basketball gymnasium. And then there's a little nook that overlooks the courtyard. And then possibly, there's the front entryway area.

My friend and fellow resident Jillian is more concerned about these things than I am. In any case, she's generally more concerned about everything. But that's something we talk about daily, and she's learning how to let go. The summer is so far away though. Who knows what will happen by then.

Beyond her, Linda and I are still having very involved conversations, almost daily. During the past couple of sessions, she's led the way.. taken the reins. Which pleases me. For a while there, I was too hyped up. Too inspired. Too something. Using too many words way too often.

Balance.

The Middle Road.

Although with me, excess is imminent.

Betsy and I have these pleasingly calm interactions going on all the time now. She's rather introverted, so I do my best to let the conversations flow in a natural way… forcing nothing. Additionally, I'm quite pleased when she goes off in random directions, tangents, and occasional tapestries smoothly woven. I like that she's able to be this way. Comfortable. At ease. And even silly.

Everyone else here, at the facility, comes and goes without any semblance of predictability. A total randomness. Gracing my presence one day, then off on assignment the following three. And I wonder how that works. What makes people desire incessant frequency versus occasional proximity? I mean, I could answer that question, but it's better for me to let these matters play out in a most natural way within this most unnatural habitat. No analyzing. No forcing the issue. Let everything flow unopposed.

Awake Anyway

It's 4:15 a.m. and there's a VERY LOUD conversation taking place out there, in the hallway or thereabouts, between the CNA and a resident… and they are discussing f**** mattresses!

Nope. Obviously this shouting loud conversation can't wait. Apparently, the very best time to talk about mattresses is somewhere between three and five in the morning.

And listening in, what exactly have I learned? Well, I've learned that there are soft mattresses and hard mattresses. I've also learned that there are loud and inconsiderate people galore.

*my personal mattress employees a crater like sinkhole smack dab in the middle.. and this gravity well pulls me down and sucks me in… requiring additional physical effort to extricate myself -

Eh. I've been up since 1:30 a.m. anyway, due to tube feeding failures and complications. I've now resumed feeding (after self-medicating and performing other sorts of related tasks) and hopefully now the damned thing will work and I can go back to sleep. Of course, I will need to combat the tremendous TV volume accosting my ear holes.

And now, suddenly … it's quiet. That must mean everybody is dead. Except for me. No, I'm not dead, I'm just recycling, not succumbing. Huge difference. Perhaps a positive outcome, or a positive end result is in the works.

Take care,
Howard

20220228_122841_2_optimized.jpg

Comments

You might put out feelers for a lighter colored umbrella.....

So nice to read about how much better your doing, sitting up more, gaining strength and internal perspicacity.

That stomach might someday come back online. You might stand yet again.

Over here in what seems to be weekly PEM-land, I'm going to make myself a reminder sign, tape on the refrigerator.

"Do Something"...About "This"...........

Well, i absolutely got tears in my eyes reading about your improvements and sitting up for 60 seconds unassisted. Words don't quite suffice. The same how i felt when you experienced the sun months ago after 6 years...and the raindrops for the first time. It really is a beautiful life. Its incredibly magical to watch whatever is unfolding with you...unfold....no matter how slow. Keep doing what you are doing. :heart:

Also, although it will be a shift to your schedule, you are adaptable and i have faith you will find a summertime routine easily. Nothing is permanent. Great idea to start mentally prepping now. Maybe you can make some music :)

Hi @Howard.....Good to hear from you. Yes, I had already started being concerned about how the summer weather would affect you and your court (um, courtyard) friends. That Phoenix sun does get hot.

Like @sunshine44 said, you'll find a summertime routine. True, it will seem odd at first, but you'll soon fall in. Also, it may then become a social overload (is there such a thing for you?) but you can always escape to your room. At least it's air-conditioned if you need it. Right, I agree with @Rufous McKinney, too....and I'll go one step beyond that, you can join me in exercising (not that much, folks....I'm not crazy).

Perhaps they were actually talking about a new mattress for you. OK, we'll say that "talking" wasn't exactly what was going on, but you get my meaning. All in all it sounds like we had similar nights....not great and mine wasn't caused by loud talking, just my insomniac brain.

All in all, Howard, you're entrance to the place of great doom seems to have been enlightened your life and lifted your burdens immensely. I can't tell you how glad I am for you....who would have known? Stay bucked up buckaroo, although that isn't really realistic all the time, is it?

Are there any other males there...and do they talk? Or are they the strong, silent AZ types who smoke their cigarettes and then seek shelter inside again?

Me? Still healing, getting once/wk. PT today & wouldn't you know it that I hurt like the dickens...but I'm just so thrilled to still be improving. A first, it seems and I like this feeling of the body healing. At least I know it can happen, even at my age. I haven't dug into my party dresses yet, but anything can happen (sometimes sadly). Still wearing nightgowns and I really don't think my sweet hubby can tell the difference. Well, sometimes there isn't much difference apart from not wearing slippers.

Be careful that you don't fall...that could be a real setback for a no. of wks. and you don't want that. So balance well, but carefully. Enjoy those rays, but I'm glad you understand your limits. Above all, Howard, and everyone else....be well! Yours, Lenora.

You might put out feelers for a lighter colored umbrella.....

A lighter colored umbrella would definitely reflect more sunlight, helping to keep the heat off of me, but this umbrella was free. And my whole life revolves around "free" - if it's not free, it's not for me! Lol

@sunshine44

You are correct, everything will work out. I'll end up somewhere doing something during the summer months… :)

@lenora

By the summer time I'm hoping to have my motorized wheelchair online. If not that, being capable of sitting upright in a regulation sized non-motorized wheelchair would help matters substantially.

As it pertains to staffing, there aren't many males here at all. The head maintenance guy and I talk Suns basketball once or twice per week. If not that, a maintenance issue... some complicated repair scheme that needs solving. I chime in (probably unnecessarily) as a means to assert my manliness! LOL

And I'm sure you'll keep improving, that's really the only option available. Steady progress, right? You've always seemed like a motivated person to me. So by all means, keep being motivated!

H

I saw the same photo @Tammy and I never even thought of vertebrae. Of course that's exactly what they are....good catch (and throw H.) Lenora.

Hi @Howard....How are you doing? Is Billy still behaving? Fabulous news if he is, if not we'll have to figure out a "Naughty Boy Plan" and implement it.

Not to be a pain, but is my recollection of the curtain rod assembly (on the ceiling) falling on a nurse right or wrong? If that's the case, it will never hold a much heavier moving drape, although they're a great idea for a hospital/nursing home (without the odor, that is).

How are the days in AZ now...still bearable? We're still in our winter mode...today was in the low 40's and tomorrow in the 70's. Kind of nice to see spring unfurl. No rain though, so drought is a concern.

Big surprise here....our daughter from CA flew in to help celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary. Still bedridden although I'm able to walk without even a walker now and do exercises easily. Residual pain, but nothing like it had been. PT has been gentle and I've had good results...amazing! But gentle is the key (if there is one).

Rod had to put his hammer away for at least 3 mos. Had a collagen build-up on his hand (he gets them) and it causes the fingers to contract into the palm. Treatment is by injections into the collagen and then he went back about 2 days later to have his fingers pulled back and to help break up the collagen.

Lots of hand exercises, braces and assorted metal to use on his hand. Our other daughter has the same problem on both hands. Hand surgery isn't a great thing to have so the injections of an enzyme keeps things moving.

You'll be getting a motorized wheelchair....literally going to be hell on wheels, aren't you? Then you'll attract a whole new group of friends (and you'll keep the old of course). Let us know what's happening...and how you're feeling.
Everyone who writes on the blog, of course. It's good to hear your feelings, essays and anything at all. Wishing you well. Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
4 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard