• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Duration of the Heavy Head / D-lightful / Wound Care

(Tuesday)

20 Minutes

That's the total amount of time I spent supporting the weight of my very own (heavy) head today. In comparison, my historic Daily Head Support Average (over the past seven years) equals two minutes or so. And that involves utilizing the commode.

Beyond that encouraging achievement, I spent over an hour sitting nearly upright in my geriatric chair, rather than slouching far down, as per usual (and fully necessary as not to inspire exhaustion). The chair is at a reclined angle, but even so, my head is well above the level of my feet. Despite enduring all of that, I experienced no dizziness or undue tiredness as a result of my day's efforts.

The thing is… I've been pushing myself a lot harder of late, motivated by the enlivening physical pain (and subsequent anger) I am now often experiencing. But so too is my energy increasing, even considering the decreased caloric intake and lack of quality sleep in recent weeks.

Yes. For me, anger has always been a motivating factor. I know how (and am willing) to physically push myself anyway. That's never been an issue. But right now, my fists are clenched, and I am raring to go. I'm ready to do some damage.

Sourcing the Sun

That's been my only change, the only change in my daily ritual… having been outdoors daily (having averaged 6 hours of direct sunlight exposure) since early November 2021. My intention from the get-go was to expose myself to as much direct sunlight as humanly possible in order to raise my Vitamin D level. But everybody already knows this… my intentions and stated goal. So…

I am rather curious though, as to my current numbers. And also, how high and how far I can push my Vitamin D level. A certain somebody has suggested attempting the Coimbra Protocol, which I've been recently contemplating (massive daily Vitamin D supplementation and other vitamins, closely monitored by a doctor, who as of yet does not exist).

But first off, let's see how far this direct sunlight exposure carries me.

Apple Essence

Someone besides Betsy showered me yesterday. That's an important milestone, because prior to this momentous event, nobody else was willing to put forth that kind of total effort. And that's been a problem for me. We only get two shower days per week, and I rather enjoy the experience.

Mine are scheduled for Sunday and Wednesday. So, if Betsy doesn't work either or both of those days, I go without. But yesterday, Nurse Raleigh put her foot down. Well, both feet down.

The end result? Everclean fragrant blissful relaxation ex-post-facto.

A.S. (after-shower)

The pain scale went underutilized yesterday, meaning.. fewer severe incidents having shorter duration. What I did (and what I am doing) instead is leave my area open and exposed. And each time there's a burning leakage, I am quick to action, dabbing it up.

Enduring Nobody

I've been socializing at a bare minimum of late. And it's not by choice, but maybe people sense things. I mean, it's still pretty much everybody seeing me, but the conversational duration has been notably shortened. Plus, less involvement. Less intensity.

And it's been suggested that those in and around me are possibly sensing my physical discomfort. And much due to this, do not wish to spend as much time with me. Although there may be myriad other reasons, of course.

Then again, each day I am NOT observed as having been outside in the courtyard (staying in bed due mostly to recent complications), there's a subtle underlying panic amongst staff and residents, here on the range.

"What's happened to Howard now?"

People are used to seeing me. So each time I fail to appear they assume I've been whisked away to the hospital again. Or worse. I am responsible for others in that way. A small portion of their well being is reliant upon mine. It seems. In a sense. I suppose.

Bile Burn / Nerve Splurge

Finally the wound care nurse came to see me out in the courtyard yesterday. The pain had become too intense to bear.. yes, truly intensely agonizing, at times.

WOW and OWWW! Meditate. Focus on the pain. Because…

Pain is merely a one way message to the brain, something to make us aware of the trouble.. the particular area is seeking attention. To focus on the pain is to acknowledge its existence, so that maybe the pain signal stops sending.

Razor sharp, it feels as though I am …

Not necessary. Details aren't. I'll save those for the "worst selling novel" version of my recovery. We're all in pain. Life sometimes hurts.

Additionally, I may just be particularly sensitive to pain as a result of my bodily nerve damage related to my inability to process Vitamin D effectively and efficiently (note: my recent research indicates it's a real thing) - so everything pain related may well be imagined! Or enhanced by my naturally heightened sensitivity to across-the-board stimuli.

A Parallelogram Universe

Anyway, Wound Care Nurse is my Former Person. The woman who months ago dumped me. And yes. You've read that right.

In essence, her size, shape, personality, the way she finds motivation, and especially her language presentation (including linguistic command) are eerily similar. I've been witnessing and / or occasionally interacting with Wound Care Nurse since last October.

Recognizing this intuitively, a subtle kind of fear AND attraction existed from Day 1. In the interim, we did once have an intense hour-long everlasting conversation. I kept wanting the conversation to end, and also.. continue.

Really, I know not what to do with her specific type. And yes, there's a type. Many types. Types in Cohesion. Easy Fits. Temporary Fixes.

I need to further explore my personal attractions.. delve deeper into my weaknesses, willingly seek out blind spots and repair gaping holes in my confounding logic.

So yesterday was a day of knowing anticipation, and convoluted fear. Of looking forward and back, simultaneously.

And it's ironic that this wound care person would be snuffing out my pain.. while the other person did much the opposite.

So she takes a look at my unfortunate area, and in so doing, cops a pose. A bend. A stretch. A subtle tilt of the head. Mysterious dark eyes inviting me in. But I fight back. I ignore her touch, her unnecessary glancing physical contact after the fact.

Of course, she knows. At least, she likely knows and senses enough to be dangerous to me. Meanwhile, my intuitive self is overwhelmed. I know this person intimately. Yet, I truly do not. I exhale. I breathe. Awkward words flow out of my mouth. I am no longer clever nor at all amusing.

She's becoming an obstacle to my future sanity. Maybe if I reach out and touch her, my truth shall be revealed.

Of course, the actual Former Person just emailed me in regards to a smattering of my past belongings residing at her residence. It's been a month since the last communique.

UGH… the heat / air-conditioning just came on again, blasting through the vent over my bed! It's 77 mildly stuffy degrees inside this room cocoon at 419am. I am already perspiring slightly, despite only having a plain white sheet draped across my mid-section. So it absolutely CANNOT be The Heat, right? No sane person would request such a thing in this very instance, would they?

Indeed. It seems we have a hopped-up thermostat junky in our midst. There's been incessant on/off action in recent days, driving me mad. Just like that Beatles song (She's so Heavy?).

Yes. It's The HEAT!

So now with minimal efforts my window is flung open.. cool air terminating the sweat. I am enlivened. It's 58° out there. So the cool air current divides and conquers the unnecessary warmth adhering to my skin.

Friday Shorts

93° did me in today at 133pm. So it seems I can handle up to 90° or so before the heat gets too overwhelming. That means I'll likely be done with my All-day Sun Exposure and Outdoor Solitude Experiment in the coming weeks.

(@lenora - no alternate indoor arrangements in place)

By the way, I've been sent gifts from afar, which I'll get into next time. In the next exciting blog entry.

Ohhhh. Now I am listening to the Ultramix of Godflrsh's song "Crush My Soul" - which has me movin' and groovin' on my mattress - so yes, another fine example of my physical improving (genre = industrial techno metal)

4:21:36

That's what time it is right now. And clearly (once again), I am awake way too flipping early on a Saturday morning. And right now in this varied moment, I am almost remembering what it was like to sleep uninterrupted. Back then. Heck. Last year. With the person who didn't love me. Amidst a hopeless situation… ugh

So, is this worse? Probably not. I can cope with the flickering all-night blue light television, but sometimes…

Tonight Nurse Never-Shows-Up (to help with my nightly feed bag change out) distributed meds to my roommate at 121am. Nice. Good. Better late than never. Fine. Whatever. Nothing to see here -

But at that time, my roommate told her that he'd made a mess in his bed. So in turn, the Nurse said she'd hail the CNA, conveying the sense of urgency. Well, apparently she did not.. until three hours later, after my roommate pushed his red "help me" button. That's when the commotion officially began. That's when the nurse came into the room and began deflecting, and joking loudly while insincerely apologizing. Yes, an invertible funfest began in earnest at an ungodly hour. Voices disturbing, despite the engaged earplugs, ear muffs, portable fan, television, and … the F****** HEAT IS BACK ON!!!

Please. Don't mind me… feeling flabbergasted and feeling flambé'd.

It's 8:55 a.m. and I just got the CNA to turn the heat off. Hip hip f***** hooray!!! LOL

Saturday Evening Post Mortem

A night of air-conditioning was had by all. Those incapable of enjoying cool air were blanketed from toe to head. And then blanketed again, by my command.. a thorough draping of the eminent shroud celebrated from corridor to hall and throughout a unit, its members displaced by time and toil.. feebly fending off their own demise.

So now with my thoughts summarily gathered, my aim to post becometh true, in the fairer sense.

Take care,
Howard

The Hollowed Halls -

20211209_095358_hdr_2_optimized.jpg

*probably nothing any of you would do well listening to, except maybe Rufous!

Loud. Pummeling. Repetitive. Heavy as Heck. And one of the very few songs I can / could dance to!

NOT CFS / M.E. friendly!!!

Comments

Temp sensitivities..........cold and hot. It really is a dilemma when you and others in the vicinity have different tolerances to temps. A friend of mine who has physical challenges similar to myself spent the weekend a few weeks ago which she does every once in awhile. We are complete opposites when it comes to temperatures we can deal or not deal with. I swear there is continual heat radiating off her body and generally when I am layered up ............she is in T-shirt.

I keep cold packs for her when she is over to visit. So this particular weekend ......in the a.m I put on my heavy sweater and I turn the heat on to 70 degrees. I usually turn it up higher just early in the morning but I'm compromising for my friends sake. My body doesn't like to be cold. My nervous system just doesn't tolerate it....................and my friends doesn't tolerate the heat. She was already asking me for cold packs in the morning while I was seriously thinking about putting on gloves! What to do............

It's a good thing you are next to the window.

@Tammy. I just got back inside and I'm trying to get them to turn the heat off right now. It's 93 degrees outside. Why do we have the heat on inside the building?

So yes, temperature sensitivity is a real thing... especially here!

I'm pondering your missive, but very low energy here.

so the song will have to wait: I'll schedule a listen, when I next rebound.

and please send Nurse Raleigh! When your through with her, I could use one.

Hi Howard.....Dear, oh dear, it sounds like so many of us are having a rough time of things lately. Is this what Santa brought us this year? Not good, for sure.

Well, how much do you figure your head weighs anyway? (Now that it's clean...and doesn't that feel good?)

You're getting about 100% more care at the facility than you did at home...but I know, you'd rather be well and reliant upon no one. Who wouldn't?

So which wound are you talking about? I'm assuming your stoma and while I have considerable pain, especially at times, I can't relate to stoma pain. I expect it's a form of the same burning paid we feel in so many other areas...and I imagine the area is red and raw. I hope not, but if it is here's hoping the wound expert can help.

Your friends are probably worried and now that it's hot out, there is no common meeting place such as the courtyard. Do you have any favorite people you'd like to see? Such as a one on one (no smoking) visit? Just stay for a short time? At least they can report back to the larger group.

Glad that you're feeling stronger, but do wish you'd be able to gain weight again. So applesauce isn't doing it? Are there any other recommendations?

Visitors: As a take-off from Frank, can you reply...."I've had a few, but too few to mention." Well, mention them and doesn't anything feel good (Ok, better) on the pain? Isn't there a numbing cream they can use to reduce the intensity to zero for a short time....give you a chance to get on top of things again?

Yes, as Tammy said....the heat is a problem. it's either hot or cold....gosh, I wish we'd never been aware of The Three Bears. Ignorance is sometimes bliss. Being in a hot climate (in the summer) ourselves, I do know what you mean. We're constantly looking at the temp. as it's never just right. A fan helps...have you tried yours? Feel better. Yours, Lenora.

Well, how much do you figure your head weighs anyway? (Now that it's clean...and doesn't that feel good?)

I was recently studying the head weight versus posture, diagram.

Basic head, in proper location, is rumored to be twelve pounds.

Most evenings, I"m contemplating how to get the head back onto the location where its twelve pounds, not twenty five (or forty two).

Hi Howard:

Im using you. Do you know that? I'm headed out tomorrow to confront my dental challenge. I've got lists of it.

I broke down sobbing just making the appointment, so unlike you, Im not brave at all.

Yet I have born children, saved the lives of others, stood up in the face of Evil.

So this BS, I say to myself- be more Howardly.

Be more Neal-like.

I'll pull every possible tarot card I can find: to get me thru a dental procedure.

Or in this case, being publicly humiliated that I just let all this go. Because I can't cope. And blame COVID for shutting down my dentist who I already trained up.

Now I have to explain this mouth disaster to a new dentist?

@rufous - You can do this! Your dentist appointment will be fine.

I focus forward... minutes beyond the discomfort, or even the day after (when I'll be recovered). Your discomfort is an impermanent feature. You'll move past and beyond this discomfort in no time! :)

and please send Nurse Raleigh! When your through with her, I could use one

Yes. I appreciate having nurse availability. I have two permanently employed nurses that will help out with just about anything, and then there are also two registered nurses I enjoy.

So which wound are you talking about?

Yes. The stoma area. Fortunately, it's been improving in the past 24 hours. I'll explain in the next blog entry! LOL

Isn't there a numbing cream they can use to reduce the intensity to zero for a short time....give you a chance to get on top of things again?

I don't believe so. And it seems it shouldn't be hurting so badly... based upon the lack of overall concern. So possibly, I'm just being overly sensitive to the pain.

I am still waiting for a gastroenterologist appointment. The wheels turn slowly.

Do you have any favorite people you'd like to see? Such as a one on one (no smoking) visit?

Really, Jillian's the only one who has consistently out here every day (for an hour) hanging out with me. Other residents randomly appear and disappear. Conversations with them last seconds to a half dozen minutes at most.

Basic head, in proper location, is rumored to be twelve pounds.

Most evenings, I"m contemplating how to get the head back onto the location where its twelve pounds, not twenty five (or forty two).

Thank you for that information. O'm going to start utilizing a pillow behind my head to prop myself up... get a better angle. :)

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
7 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard