• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diagnosis (there is really something wrong with me) - Pfizer Booster Reaction

Diagnosis

Okay then. And yes people, there is officially something wrong with me. It's not all in my head. I'm not imagining this entire illness. Seriously. The neurologist has made determinations. Medical determinations based upon tried-and-true medical knowledge acquired through years of training, experience, and knowhow!

Yesterday's nerve conduction study indicates that my nerves are not communicating properly with my muscles, and that there is indeed nerve damage, at least and especially in my legs.

I am not exactly sure how to feel about this, I'm really not. But you would think I'd want to scream out to the world, something to the effect of "I told you so!" - but I no longer have that within me, that need for vindication. It seems I continue to evolve. Or perhaps, and again, the news hasn't sunk in yet. Fully.

They will be waiting an additional 10 to 14 days for results of my most recent blood work, so that they may formally name this thing. So now I wait. Which again, doesn't seem to be a big deal after more than a decade trying to identify the problem.

Anyway, the past several days have been quite eventful. I might as well share about that, too, right?

Covid Booster Reaction

Friday's vaccine booster shot did not go swimmingly. Well, the shot itself was fine, but the after-effects were extreme. Or in the least, severe. Shall we go there?

For the most part, the day after was no big deal. Severe headache. Unrelenting. One of the worst headaches I've ever had. But really, I am not typically headache prone. So for you and others, it may have been just a typical everyday happening. Although, the duration was an uneasy dozen hours lasting.

I awoke early the next morning freezing cold, chills upon chills. I had my sheet and my off-green blanket draped across me, so I shouldn't have been that cold. But I soon realized that I was soaking wet… armpit to kneecaps.

Upon further investigation, my extra-absorbent bed "chuck" and sheets were saturated. My feeding formula had leaked all night long, coming back out through my stoma… which is a bad thing. No nutrition, no hydration all night long.

As it turns out, my intestines shut down again. Yep, it's the same thing that happened when I was recently hospitalized for those two weeks with covid.

Fantastic. Right?

At least this time, I was able to hydrate ever-so-slightly. Slow trickle of water to my tube was maintained. However, by Monday, I realized that straight water wasn't cutting it. Not only was I becoming seriously dehydrated, but I felt as though my blood sugar was getting low. I ate a small amount of sugar, hoping it wouldn't provoke my constant nausea.

But the sugar didn't seem to help. And then things got worse. My throat felt like it was closing. Or at least, it felt somewhat constricted. And then I had difficulty speaking clearly. I was having trouble enunciating my words. Then my lips, even more difficulty speaking. My lips weren't doing the right thing. And they were becoming numb.

My CNA came into the room to take my vitals. She noticed my speaking difficulties. And then she was rather shocked to find that my blood pressure was sky-high. Typically, my blood pressure is ground-floor low. So the nurse came in. And it was decided to call 911.

Anyway, additional drama isn't necessary here, because you clearly know I survived this ordeal based upon my writing to you.

So I'm at the hospital and both my medical advocate and Sunshine44 are texting me, when the latter of the two you suggests something. Or rather, she solves the equation. One month ago I happened to have one Skittle candy and I reacted very poorly, but I thought my reaction could have been coincidental. It was one tiny piece of candy! And I've been utilizing Skittles candies for years, as a means to fend-off slight nausea and or low blood sugar. A temporary fix.

But apparently, ever since contracting Covid two months ago…

Anyway, having had four Skittles candies at one time must have pushed my autoimmune system to the brink. At least, that's my best guess.

So yes, that happened. But at least my intestines went back online Tuesday morning. So clearly this is also a kind of autoimmune reaction. I mean, it's more than coincidental that with the Covid virus my intestines shut down, and then with the Covid vaccine booster my intestine shut down again. That just doesn't sound like a normal thing to me.

Appreciation

You know, I'm not going to write too much about this here and now… get overly emotional… But the people here, most of the staff members, really do care about me (and for me). And I can feel it every single day of the week. I am loved.

I'll write about other things later, but this is more or less a 'hot off the presses' kind of thing. At least in my life, and in my world. I think all indications are that I have some type of autoimmune illness (in light of recent evidence and reactions, and potentially based upon whatever official diagnosis they come up with in the next two weeks).

As always, be well and take care,
Howard

20220223_195115~2.jpg

Comments

yeah- we knew that (disorder, some disorder, Howard has an actual disorder)

oh gosh @Howard, that was alot of drama for a short period of time.

Handing you a symbolic Academy Award. Without any Skittles.

My intestines did nothing for at least seven days. Your shut down clearly comes with the extra qualities not fun.

its wonderful to be loved, and to hear about it. So just enjoy it. Wallow in it. Bask.

I suspect there will be considerable fascination to hear about the Diagnosis. Some will be jealous. Others, relieved.

I'd say I"ve never been more curious than I am right now at this moment, to find out.

:thumbsup:

Ran into an interesting quote, about common writing mistakes in science......may I share?

To para-quote Samuel Beckett: Ever written. Ever written badly. No matter. Write again. Write poorly again. Write better.*

*The original is one of my favorite quotes: “Ever tried. Ever failed. No Matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”

Five common writing mistakes new scientists make
By Jacquelyn Gill on August 21, 2018 • ( 47 Comments )

Love this idea of Failing, Better. Ever Trying.

HI @ Howard.....More concern you didn't need, did you? I'll be anxious to hear the outcome of your blood tests.

Yes, there's no doubt that the staff really likes (loves) you and it's returned by you. I'm sure that you're Mr. Sunshine and help make their day also.

You're back in the hospital? That's not good, but I'm glad it's nearby and can readily help you.

Thanks for the picture. Glad the angel is lit up and watches you throughout the night...it must give you comfort. Perfect spot for it, I'd say.

I know you were hoping to go outside again soon, and that must be disappointing, but let you mouth heal and no, no more Skittles (thanks, sunshine) for the near future. It's a constant guessing game, isn't it? That's why I've voluntarily given it up....there are just too many reasons. You have extra incentive that I don't have, though.

Are they doing any tests while you're still in? Like maybe that nerve root in your mouth? If you're sent with a good recommendation from other people on a floor, you'll be well treated. Unfortunately I now have a black mark against my name.

While I want you to be in a room by yourself, I also don't want you to be. It's nice to have someone conscious who can really use the call button if necessary. No, don't stay awake....sleep as much as you can, pretend the sun is shining on you and you're getting stronger each day. Even bad days and times pass. A hug. Yours, Lenora.

@lenora - I was only in the hospital overnight. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I kind of rushed through that blog effort. :)

@Rufous McKinney - great quote: lots of failure in writing (and life)... opportunities to learn

@Rufous McKinney - great quote: lots of failure in writing (and life)... opportunities to learn

Your a great writer, this was merely a philosophical 'aside" tied to science writing.

Glad your hospital stay was temporary.

My job is now over! : endless writing things. That were reviewed and edited and returned for more review and edits. In Track Changes (it keeps track of every edit).

In fact, I now recall spending FIVE MONths once, editing semi colons. The report was the size of a large binder. It came with a deadline. Yet, this editing of semi colons resulted in missing an important deadline.

I incinerated that report, it made a huge column of flames.

Hi Howard......I hope you awakened to dry sheets and will have at least a normal day ahead of you.

I'm glad you weren't in the hosp. too long, overnight was good though. Perhaps you'll even make it outside today. Do let us know when you have your test results.

Of course something's wrong with you....even the doctors knew that or tests wouldn't have been ordered. I look at illness this way: It was in my body long before I knew it existed and I lived with it. Somehow we co-habitated. You've been doing it for how many years?

So now the big difference is that you know. Does it make it different from yesterday? Not really....it's just that now you'll deal with the fact and will be somewhat more afraid (maybe). Look to us for help in getting you beyond that....even the doctors. Tell them to put a positive spin on it and it will give you a more positive way of viewing things. A negative one does just the opposite...and I think we'd all agree that it does. Get an extra hug (or give one) from someone...it will make a big difference. Yours, Lenora.

Thinking of you and hoping things are going OK. I know you'll let us know when you are up to it.:hug:

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
4 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard