• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Gondwanaland

Here you go
You can just change the column order according to your preference.
On another tab you can just add the description of your supplements/medicines
On a 3rd tab you can just add doctors, laboratories, clinics, pharmacies contact info

Kathevans

Does anyone else get acne, mucus drainage, sorethroat or UTI after consuming white rice? cool or hot?

Ok. It could be the white rice. I've been having a lot of mucus drainage and a bit of a sore throat. But I thought it could be all the supps I'm putting into those gel-caps, or possibly a bit of gastritis from the potassium gluconate I've been taking as I increase the methyls. But maybe it's the white rice I've added, too. I've read there can be talc in it as some sort of mixing agent. Maybe that's a reason to rinse it, but I've also read that you don't need to do this anymore.

I really admire those of you who can ask your body, or simply know your body well enough to know what symptom is attached to what. Like you, @ahmo, and @Gondwanaland. As to self-testing, I've been schooled by my much admired bro-in-law, and I've tried the leaning forward or back method (I'm too unstable on my feet) and the finger waved through the finger loop (which I just can't trust given all the arthritis/strength issues in my hands. I even ordered the TruTester, and let me just say, it takes strength, so that's also a definite 'no'! Now I'm on to the pendulum, the weight at the end of a string...Maybe the ouija board is next. :D

@Gondwanaland Your chart is terrific! You've got a lot of information in one chart! I have an Excell week by week thingy that my husband helped me to set up and when I look back over it, I do come to see some things more clearly. So far, this mostly has to do with my B12 and Folate ratios which have gone from 1:1 to 2:1. For me, this difference, even in the tiniest amounts is huge. Pain vs much less pain, etc.

Gondwanaland

Has Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC) already been mentioned?
  • Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC), which is a non-fermentable fiber, has been shown to protect rodent guts from a high fat diet induced increase in gut permeability (Kim. 2012), as in the case of butyrate its efficacy (and when you think about athletes, tolerability) will yet still have to be confirmed in human trials.

About the much touted Oats that I am about to try:

• Oats, maybe due to their beta glucan content and their ability to increase the production of short-chain fatty acids in the large intestine, oats offer protection against alcohol induced increases in tight junction permeability (Tang. 2009); exercise specific studies have yet to be conducted, though.Personally I would yet not be surprised if this would turn out to be very effective (note: as long as they are not cross-contaminated, oats are 100% gluten-free)
Source

Oci

Great idea, Gondwanaland, I've been meaning to do try oats too.

You might also be interested in this article. My family doc who is very integrative urged me to read this. He is a great fan of Michael Ash. See also his other articles.

http://www.ihcltd.co.uk/uncategorized/is-this-a-perfect-functional-meal-for-mucosal-tolerance/

Oh and this is interesting too for me as I have low SIgA. I won't be able to fight off gut pathogens until I can raise it. This article is about autism but applies to me too in terms of my gut.

http://www.ihcltd.co.uk/uncategorized/probiotics-and-autism/

Hmmm. Maybe I'm posting this on the wrong thread?

student

Last edited:

whodathunkit

Wow, @South, thanks for posting that link! I'm quite sure I don't have Lyme (although I have done high-dose C and salt loading with good effect, they were for adrenal fatigue not Lyme), but the money quote in that thread from Rich VanK is
According to the GD--MCB hypothesis (also described in papers at the above site), a person who has inherited the appropriate genomics, when their glutathione is lowered sufficiently, is plunged into a partial block of their methylation cycle. This then forms a vicious circle with the glutathione depletion, and the person now has CFS...this vicious circle is what maintains CFS as a chronic disorder...
Of course the thread is about Lyme but Rich seems to be talking about CFS and Lyme as definitely separate albeit coexisting problems. Also seems (on the surface) to speak to what could cause CFS or at least CFS symptoms in many people who have no apparent viral infections (like me). So maybe if glutathione goes low enough even due to self-induced factors like poor nutrition/crappy lifestyle, poor gut health via abx and other factors, etc., all that plus genetics could explain it for some. I realize I may be overly broad in interpreting this statement in this way since I don't know a dang thing else about the GD-MCB hypothesis and I don't have time to research it right now, but thought it worth remarking upon nonetheless.

whodathunkit

Random thoughts:

Potato hacking really is a great strategy for dropping a few pounds while at the same time helping the gut. Butyrate production demonstrably increased just by 4 days of latest potato hack (no probiotics), as evidenced by the condition of the skin on soles of my feet. Subtle but definite positive difference. Stool consistency also better. I plan to work regular rounds of potato hacking into my normal health routine as an alternative to fasting.

Miyasarin REALLY DOES help resolve doggie diarrhea due to eating nasty, bacteria-laden flotsam found on the ground. Quickly, too. This is born out by multiple informal "trials" done by me and my Bubbas over the past 6 months (or however long it's been since I first purchased Miyasarin). It works better and faster than Immodium, plus the benefits accrue over time. Benefits include better stool consistency overall, and decreased desire to eat nasty, bacteria-laden flotsam at all. The eating still happens mostly when I get lazy about giving regular doses of Miyasarin and other probiotics.

For whatever those two nuggets are worth.

whodathunkit

@Oci, here's a good, comprehensive thread on how to do the potato hack:

http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com/p/the-potato-diet_14.html

A word of caution: educate yourself before you try this, especially if you're acutely ill, have blood sugar issues, or have a lot of food intolerances, etc. It's a rather restrictive short-term health strategy that could cause side effects in a portion of people who try it. A side effect does not usually mean lasting harm, but depending upon the side it might take some time to move away from it. Be aware that what you experience may not be all roses, especially when first starting out.

Make an informed, educated decision before you try.

Oci

@Oci, here's a good, comprehensive thread on how to do the potato hack:

http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.com/p/the-potato-diet_14.html

A word of caution: educate yourself before you try this, especially if you're acutely ill, have blood sugar issues, or have a lot of food intolerances, etc. It's a rather restrictive short-term health strategy that could cause side effects in a portion of people who try it. A side effect does not usually mean lasting harm, but depending upon the side it might take some time to move away from it. Be aware that what you experience may not be all roses, especially when first starting out.

Make an informed, educated decision before you try.

Many thanks, Whodathunkit. I will read but will need to put on the back burner for the moment. I am feeling very hyperthyroid at the moment - hot, anxious, higher heart rate, trouble sleeping, etc. I've dropped my thyroid (ERFA) fairly drastically and will test in a few weeks again. Apparently you have to wait 4 - 6 weeks for accurate results. My freeT3 was very high last test...7.5 (top of range is 6.5) I think my methylation has improved meaning that I need less thyroid supps but who knows!

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit I looked at the article: how/why does this diet work? What makes it special?
Short answer: it provides good starch (RS3) which feeds the good gut bugs, which is beneficial for metabolism and healthy immune function. Plus, the right starch + good gut bugs helps us to endogenously produce beneficial saturated fatty acids such as butyrate.

Plus, unless you have a huge, huge appetite for potatoes, it's short-term calorie restriction. Calorie restriction is good if done episodically and not overdone to the point of deprivation.