1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ascorbic Acid Worsening Candida

Discussion in 'Fungal Infection (Yeast, Candida)' started by acrosstheveil, Jan 27, 2014.

1. acrosstheveil

acrosstheveil Senior Member

I have had lyme and systemic candida for over 6 years now. I wanted to try ascorbic acid in high doses to help my immune system. It seems to be increasing all of my negative symptoms. Haven't been able to sleep a wink and I feel insanely wired like I do when I eat sugar (which makes candida go out of control).

Could the increased acidity actually be worsening the candida? I now have severely cracked lips which I never had before.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    Candida feeds on sugar. I don't know how it could be making the candida worse unless there is some kind of sugar or dextrose or something that the candida can feed on in it.

I just googled and it said ascorbic acid helps combat candida. I think something else must be going on. Are you adding good bacteria?

It just doesn't make sense.
  3. South

South

When I take something that massively kills off candida, I get wired for two days. Not much out there that massively kills off my candida though, the last time it happened I had started a very low carb diet plus started a strong antifungal, all on the same day. Two days later I was completely wired and could not sleep.

Not sure if your "brand" of candida is maybe very sensitive to ascorbic acid, and thus you are experiencing die off? Just a wild guess. My type of candida does not apparently respond to ascorbic this way - high doses of ascorbic do nothing special for me.
  4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Vitamin C increases the amount of dopamine being converted to norepinephrine.
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  5. acrosstheveil

acrosstheveil Senior Member

i've been taking some vitamin c yesterday and today and my tongue is now covered in white furry mucus. I sure hope this is die off but it really seems like it's making candida flare....
  6. Shellbell

Shellbell Senior Member

Hi Acrosstheveil, according to my practitioners, the Liposomal C will kill off candida. I had massive die-off of candida and pathogens when I started with the lip C and the IVC. When I first started the Lip C, my tongue got very white and then after a few days, it turned pink. Check out references to Dr. Thomas Levy. I know he is specific about what forms of C to take. There are videos to watch on youtube on his work and others.
  7. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I can't take Vit C after about 4pm otherwise I can't sleep - bit like caffeine really.

@adreno
    you said 'Vitamin C increases the amount of dopamine being converted to norepinephrine'
    would that account for my response?
  8. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Yes it might, as norepinephrine promotes wakefulness.
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  9. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @adreno
    thanks - its nice when things make sense:)

I read about people taking 10g of vit c in the evening and think - what!!!
    but again its how different we are
  10. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I can take regular vit c in the evening, but if I take liposomal vit c I can't sleep either.
  11. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    Funny you say that, because I've been having what seems like small candida flareups, though I haven't been having much sugar. However, I have been having vit C lately (to try and increase mineral absorption). Maybe that's the cause.
  12. matters

matters

Agree, maybe a dieoff reaction. I used to freak out when anything made my tongue white. After biting the bullet a few times and continuing the protocol based on research found it would help in the long run.
    I used to think I had some special mutated form of fungus or candida that likes whatever i give it.with all thoughts of gloom and doom.

Try sodium butyrate capsules. Butyrate is a byproduct of bifido, very acidic. If your bifido is low you can "fake it" with supplementation and it should kill or keep candida in check. Getting your gut acidic is key. Candida loves and promotes an alkaline gut environment, it changes your terrain. Oddly your urine will become more acidic. So it really flip flops your system.

Have you tried a Resistant starch protocol? This really helped me, It's for sibo but I think it helps with candida too. It changes your terrain back to acidic, feeds your good guys, and tightens your gut.

http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-to-cure-sibo-small-intestinal-bowel_18.html

See more popular forum discussions.