• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Carnivore Diet

GreenEdge

How big are your improvements from the carnivore diet? @GreenEdge
See: Improvements from carnivore, I've noticed.

I can't definitively say it's helping to heal ME/CFS, but that thought gives me hope. I read the book What must I do to get well? and how can I keep so? by one who has done it (Elma Fraser Stuart). The (1889) book says it takes about the same amount of time to reverse an illness.

I'm hoping I can speed up healing by correcting nutritional deficiencies with: Hyaluronic acid, omega 3 and liver or taking a quality multi-B vitamin containing: Niacin (B3 as pure Niacin (flush type)) and Thiamine (B1 as Benfotiamine or Allithiamine TTFD).

Last edited:

cheeseater

Nice that the diet is helping you GreenEdge, and who can argue with that? Do not know how old you are, but be sure and keep up on your colorectal health exams, etc. That diet is known to cause problems in that area, not to mention bad cholesterol produced by your liver, that is known to be severe with that sort of diet. atherosclerosis is not fun, either.

Exercise and keeping a healthy weight probably especially important on such a high risk diet, and could delay or eliminate some of those troubles. Good luck!

GreenEdge

@cheeseater, thank you for your concern.

We have all been brain washed by the hysteria caused by Ancel Keys diet heart hypothesis. Every doctor I meet believes in this hypothesis from the 1960's - it has never been proven. Some of us have been following the science and know better... everyone else is still in the dark.

Your doctor is only trying to do their best (whether right or wrong). Remember, it's your body, you are in charge.

Please watch the next 2 minutes of this video:

GreenEdge

Has anyone else noticed improvements from carnivore?

Improvements from carnivore, I've noticed:
  • after 1st month, reduced body odor that's still improving 1 year on. I don't use deodorant anymore.
  • I don't get muscle pain after exercise, unless I workout harder, even then it's very mild.
  • brain health has improved greatly. My mind is sharper. I'm calmer and not depressed.
  • last winter, I didn't get cracked skin on my finger tips and I didn't use moisturizer.
  • I'm slimmer, yet have gained some weight, so I must be stronger*.
  • after 1 year, I'm still seeing improvements.
* That means my very basic weight training program is now working. Whereas before: a year ago I was fitter, doing twice as much as I'm doing now and I had kept that up (as best I could) for many years; I never gained any muscle then.

cheeseater

Yes, propaganda is all around us. Used to be mainly tv, radio and newspapers/magazines. Now one can find propaganda 24/7 on youtube and the internet. Fact is, diet and lifestyle are the main drivers of disease in humans. Common sense has always been a rare commodity. True believers are often simply really paranoid.

GreenEdge

Yes, propaganda is all around us. Used to be mainly tv, radio and newspapers/magazines. Now one can find propaganda 24/7 on youtube and the internet. Fact is, diet and lifestyle are the main drivers of disease in humans. Common sense has always been a rare commodity. True believers are often simply really paranoid.
Who are you calling paranoid?

No, propaganda is very well established in society. It is everyone from your family to your doctor. Including you, as you just demonstrated by your post - You fear heart disease.

People don't start their journey with carnivore, no that's where they end (if they don't fear meat) - if they ever progress beyond vegetarianism. Some go the other direction and eventually exhaust their bodies storage of key vitamins. Then their health really plummets. Vegan is an eating disorder, it leads to anorexia (remember I am formally educated in nutrition).

Q. Do you know which foods are fattening?
A. All processed foods are designed to be additive.
A. The more addictive the food is, the more fattening it is.

GreenEdge

Nice that the diet is helping you GreenEdge, and who can argue with that? Do not know how old you are, but be sure and keep up on your colorectal health exams, etc. That diet is known to cause problems in that area, not to mention bad cholesterol produced by your liver, that is known to be severe with that sort of diet. atherosclerosis is not fun, either.
I am 51. I gave blood last Friday for ME/CFS research. The 2 phlebotomist taking my blood had 14 and 12 years experience. They both commented on how soft and spongy were my blood vessels. As we age, blood vessels get harder. I must be getting younger.
  1. Once I was vegetarian, but unlike many, I did not stop at the first healthy diet I found.
  2. Then I was pescatarian. Maybe that's why I'm still so fond of salmon, because it saved my health.
  3. Then I was low carb pescatarian. I reduced carbohydrates and kept reducing and reducing until it became keto.
  4. Getting to keto was hard. Keto was the most optimum I thought, but also the most difficult to do well. On keto I found that in order to stay ketogenic I needed to be a little bit hungry all the time. After 5 years of keto and an uni education in nutrition, I thought I'd give carnivore a go and have never looked back.
    Keto is both the:
    • Best diet - If you stay in ketosis metabolism. But is the
    • Worst diet - if not in ketosis, because of it's high fat content (fat has the highest energy density), if you overeat calories you will gain weight fast on keto.
Exercise and keeping a healthy weight probably especially important on such a high risk diet, and could delay or eliminate some of those troubles. Good luck!
That's what we're told. :whistle:

GreenEdge

My back is 100% better, I am very relaxed, my muscles are not rigid and they can now be stretched.

When I first started learning to dance, my body was randomly freezing like I was getting Parkinson's disease. I have completed 10 weeks of learning to Tango and that movement issue has now disappeared.

I can't believe how relaxed I feel. My posture as changed along with my voice.
I will be starting level 2 Tango from next week.

And despite these improvements, I still get fatigue.

GreenEdge

Here are some recommended beef cuts to consider:
  • Best rare: Flatiron, Top sirloin, Paleron
  • Best medium rare: - Ribeye / rib steaks, NY strip / shell, Porterhouse / T-bone, Tri-tip, Flank steak, Sirloin flap, Filet mignon, Top round (if not raw), Hanger steak, Chuck eye / chuck steak
  • Best medium: Skirt steak, Chuck short rib, Chuck flap
  • Best well-done: Nil
Topside (Top round) is my current favorite; it's very tender (when seared) but very lean so I combine with brain or suet (served frozen).

Jo86

Has anyone else noticed improvements from carnivore?

Improvements from carnivore, I've noticed:
  • after 1st month, reduced body odor that's still improving 1 year on. I don't use deodorant anymore.
  • I don't get muscle pain after exercise, unless I workout harder, even then it's very mild.
  • brain health has improved greatly. My mind is sharper. I'm calmer and not depressed.
  • last winter, I didn't get cracked skin on my finger tips and I didn't use moisturizer.
  • I'm slimmer, yet have gained some weight, so I must be stronger*.
  • after 1 year, I'm still seeing improvements.
* That means my very basic weight training program is now working. Whereas before: a year ago I was fitter, doing twice as much as I'm doing now and I had kept that up (as best I could) for many years; I never gained any muscle then.
Hi GreenEdge. I'm currently on week 2 of Paul Saladino's "animal based diet", so carnivore + fruit and honey.
I'm not feeling a difference yet ofc, and it's either been far too little time, or the fruit are not allowing for the progress to happen. I've lost 1kg, though.

Saladino argues fruit are "the least toxic carbs". Which, fair enough. Unlike vegetables, they don't produce all the toxins to defend themselves (that veggies do). And to some extent, carbs, even if just a small quantity, do give that little bit of extra energy and allow people not to lose a ton of weight and get some micro-nutrients in.

I eat all meats (no organ, I just can't) so beef, pork, occasional chicken and fish + all dairy products except milk, and then the fruit and 1 tbsp honey. I'm hoping to see some change in the next 2 months. I may cut out the fruit at some point or reduce a lot.

Hi GreenEdge. I'm currently on week 2 of Paul Saladino's "animal based diet", so carnivore + fruit and honey.
I'm not feeling a difference yet ofc, and it's either been far too little time, or the fruit are not allowing for the progress to happen. I've lost 1kg, though.

Saladino argues fruit are "the least toxic carbs". Which, fair enough. Unlike vegetables, they don't produce all the toxins to defend themselves (that veggies do). And to some extent, carbs, even if just a small quantity, do give that little bit of extra energy and allow people not to lose a ton of weight and get some micro-nutrients in.

I eat all meats (no organ, I just can't) so beef, pork, occasional chicken and fish + all dairy products except milk, and then the fruit and 1 tbsp honey. I'm hoping to see some change in the next 2 months. I may cut out the fruit at some point or reduce a lot.
So, a carnivore diet plus fruit and honey? No offense, but that sounds like the opposite of a carnivore diet. :) I am pretty sure that fructose, from both fruit and honey, is the main reason you're not seeing any positive results.

Try to completely eliminate those and include greens instead. It worked very well for me in terms of energy, but every time I fail to stick to it for longer than 3-4 days - my cravings for carbs are way too hard to withstand. :(

Jo86

So, a carnivore diet plus fruit and honey? No offense, but that sounds like the opposite of a carnivore diet. :) I am pretty sure that fructose, from both fruit and honey, is the main reason you're not seeing any positive results.

Try to completely eliminate those and include greens instead. It worked very well for me in terms of energy, but every time I fail to stick to it for longer than 3-4 days - my cravings for carbs are way too hard to withstand. :(
So keto. Meat, dairy, fat and veggies. Yeah, I tried keto a few times. Doesn't actually improve my condition. If any diet can help, it would be carnivore. I'm also suspecting the fruit might be getting in the way but I'll reduce them gradually and check. It makes sense evolutionarily speaking to eat fruit, however, the fructose is a concern.

Does not need to be keto. Honestly, I do not think keto is a viable option long-term.

Just try getting your carbs from greens, not fructose-reach sources.

Here are some recommended beef cuts to consider:
  • Best rare: Flatiron, Top sirloin, Paleron
  • Best medium rare: - Ribeye / rib steaks, NY strip / shell, Porterhouse / T-bone, Tri-tip, Flank steak, Sirloin flap, Filet mignon, Top round (if not raw), Hanger steak, Chuck eye / chuck steak
  • Best medium: Skirt steak, Chuck short rib, Chuck flap
  • Best well-done: Nil
Topside (Top round) is my current favorite; it's very tender (when seared) but very lean so I combine with brain or suet (served frozen).
May I ask if you eat greens at all on this diet?

Jo86

Does not need to be keto. Honestly, I do not think keto is a viable option long-term.

Just try getting your carbs from greens, not fructose-reach sources.
I'm currently going on a personal anti-veggie crusade atm. I've come across a few doctors that talk about the dangers of veggies and how their defense toxins cause all kinds of trouble.

I'm not saying these doctors are the 2nd coming of Christ, however, I've NEVER tried no veggies at all for significant amounts of time, so seeing how good carnivore has been to ppl, and how low inflammation it is, I'm using meats+eggs as my main food, and adding a bit of carbs to the side, rn it's some fruit, a tbsp honey, I might cut them out but I specifically don't want the greens for a few months.

datadragon

Most all Blood Type A's do not do well with Paleo, Carnivore, or low carb diets. The Paleo/Carnivore are suited best for type O's or B's genetics. I certainly get the general thought that early humans ate what was available to them rather than following a diet with all the food always available as today and we are adaptable generally to many types of food at least short term. Also some hunters would have gained energy and nutrients from animal sources eating all of it - organs, fat, muscle meat and bone marrow unlike today. However, metabolism of Blood Type A's is like the opposite to blood type 0. While for blood type 0 the meat accelerates and streamlines metabolism, for people with blood type A the meat, on the other hand, is said it slows down metabolism and calories are stored as fat stores. One cause seems is a different amount of stomach acid that is needed for easy digestion of meat which requires zinc. If you do not make stomach acid you cant absorb zinc, and if you do not absorb zinc you do not make stomach acid as zinc, vitamin B1, and B6 are needed to produce stomach acid. I see the genetics now from researching them such as the low zinc, but need to understand the best ways to balance inflammation with those interesting genetics.

GreenEdge

I'm currently on week 2 of Paul Saladino's "animal based diet", so carnivore + fruit and honey...
Your first hurdle will be food cravings. They should start to diminish from about week 2 and by the time you get to 30 days (of no sweet foods) you will feel free and liberated - able to walk past processed foods at your grocery store and not even feel tempted. After some time you won't even see that stuff as even being food. Until then avoid shopping when hungry because that's when the temptation might become too much.

If fruit and honey helps someone abstain from confectionery or sweetened drinks that's fine but it will soon become a new addiction. If you consume sweet flavors, you will desire sweet flavors. Honey is extremely sweet so will maintain (or create) an addiction to sweet foods.

See 4 minute video: Cocaine vs sugar
or news article: For rats, sweets are the drug of choice

Beware of processed foods and artificial sweeteners. They will fool your senses.
Sugar, fruit and sweetened drinks will make you hungrier. So too carbohydrates.

Last edited: