• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Carnivore Diet

drmullin30

It took me about two months of sugar free/low carb eating before my hunger changed completely. Now my hunger is totally different. For instance, hunger no longer affects my mood e.g. I don't get "hangry". I also don't need to eat nearly as often and some of the foods I used to crave no longer appeal to me.

I still get "cravings" for sweet or crunchy foods (crunch is very hard to find in a carnivore diet pork crackling is good and if you can eat bacon) but it's more like mmmm that smells good instead of aarrrghhh I'm starving and NEED to eat that!

belize44

It took me about two months of sugar free/low carb eating before my hunger changed completely. Now my hunger is totally different. For instance, hunger no longer affects my mood e.g. I don't get "hangry". I also don't need to eat nearly as often and some of the foods I used to crave no longer appeal to me.

I still get "cravings" for sweet or crunchy foods (crunch is very hard to find in a carnivore diet pork crackling is good and if you can eat bacon) but it's more like mmmm that smells good instead of aarrrghhh I'm starving and NEED to eat that!
That is encouraging to know! I heard this term "hangry" before but wasn't sure what it meant. I had to involuntarily fast last night into this afternoon, because of a migraine headache (side effect from an ear drop medication) I was hungry, but nauseous so decided to skip my evening meal, have a cup of broth, and sleep it off. Woke up in full ketosis!

belize44

Well, finally some progress to report. As of today, I have been in Ketosis for two solid days. Slept really well, which is new for me. Since starting this way of eating I have lost a total of 7.5 inches, and around 5 pounds. I have also noticed a decrease in knee pain when climbing the stairs. I still have shoulder pain and stiffness, worse since stopping Oxalates, so I have added back a bit of black tea here and there. I still drink decaf coffee with butter and cream.

drmullin30

Well, finally some progress to report. As of today, I have been in Ketosis for two solid days. Slept really well, which is new for me. Since starting this way of eating I have lost a total of 7.5 inches, and around 5 pounds. I have also noticed a decrease in knee pain when climbing the stairs. I still have shoulder pain and stiffness, worse since stopping Oxalates, so I have added back a bit of black tea here and there. I still drink decaf coffee with butter and cream.

I've been using black tea as well to help with the dumping symptoms.

HABS93

I'm just starting today so I'll let you know lol. How much bacon we allowed to eat? What type of meat snacks can you make for in between?

belize44

I'm just starting today so I'll let you know lol. How much bacon we allowed to eat? What type of meat snacks can you make for in between?
I'm not an expert, so I will let others weigh in here. I snack on bacon sometimes, and usually eat until I am full, but not too full.

HABS93

I'm not an expert, so I will let others weigh in here. I snack on bacon sometimes, and usually eat until I am full, but not too full.
Very strange deff feeling those carbs cravings and hunger. Go f yourself candida enjoy the low carbs 😈

belize44

Very strange deff feeling those carbs cravings and hunger. Go f yourself candida enjoy the low carbs 😈
That's the spirit! And those candida thingies really hang on, because I have such strong cravings it is really difficult at times. I think I will try intermittent fasting when those cravings hit.

HABS93

I enjoy ground beef with just butter and salt . It made me full then I got hangry and it got strong. Then disappeared and I feel full again! Going to eat chicken with butter in abit !

belize44

I enjoy ground beef with just butter and salt . It made me full then I got hangry and it got strong. Then disappeared and I feel full again! Going to eat chicken with butter in abit !
Oh, yes, I have found that I quite like butter on meat! And in my coffee with cream. It definitely staves off the hunger pangs for about four hours.

Frunobulax

Does anyone have input into how long it takes before the cravings stop? Last night I dreamed I was at a bakery, lol.

For me it was around 2 months as well.

If I deviate from my diet and eat some carbs, the cravings will return but only for a day or two.

Oh, yes, I have found that I quite like butter on meat! And in my coffee with cream. It definitely staves off the hunger pangs for about four hours.

Bulletproof coffee is a staple for me, and I'll add a genererous amount of butter and cream if I feel hungry. On many days I'll only have a BP coffee at sometime in the morning or midday, and one full meal in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Frunobulax

I don't eat any snacks, I'll have a full meal if I am hungry. And will eat nothing if I'm not, for example when I'm seeing my daughter to school I'll just have a cup of tea for breakfast. But the transition has different rules, so feel free to snack whenever you want to.
  • Bulletproof coffee (with butter) or tea with coconut oil if you crave just a bit of food.
  • Some eggs (which I prefer scrambled in butter).
  • Some people like cocoa butter, which can be added to tea/coffee instead of butter, and I even heard of people who just suck on it as a snack. Not everybody likes the taste, but many people say that they find cocoa butter very satiating, more than butter or coconut oil.
  • I will also sometimes cook meatballs where I'll add various spices to get some variety, that can be kept in the fridge for a few days. They can be eaten cold or microwaved.
  • Oh, and don't forget chaffles. Mix a small cup of grated cheese (mozarella or the like) with salt and an egg, add spices if you want, and throw it in a waffle iron. You can add bacon or something before baking, or let it cool of and use it as bread substitute with butter, cream cheese and whatever toppings you prefer.
  • Homemade bone broth is a classic. Some people put it in a blender and mix it to a creamy consistency. Commercial bone broth often is low fat.
No good answer to the bacon. Most people think that bacon is fine, however some people (me included) are worried about preservatives, sodium nitride mainly. Personally I will eat bacon or other meat with preservatives on occasion, but no more than once or twice a week. I prefer fresh sausages with no preservatives except salt, citric acid and the like, that will keep only a few days. Anything that has a "best before" that is further than a week away will contain preservatives.

Having said that, the biggest step is to transition to keto/carnivore. What I said in the previous paragraph is advanced finetuning. I'd say eat as much and as often as you like (read: whenever you're hungry) while you in transition, including bacon and sausages. Just make sure you eat enough fat. We can do the finetuning 3 months down the road when you're fully fat adapted.

Footnote: Cocoa butter is not carnivore. However, all the major fats contained in it are also part of animal fats, and I'm not aware of any antinutrients (like oxalates). Check out the fat composition on Wikipedia if you want to compare.

Last edited:

HABS93

I don't eat any snacks, I'll have a full meal if I am hungry. And will eat nothing if I'm not, for example when I'm seeing my daughter to school I'll just have a cup of tea for breakfast. But the transition has different rules, so feel free to snack whenever you want to.
  • Bulletproof coffee (with butter) or tea with coconut oil if you crave just a bit of food.
  • Some eggs (which I prefer scrambled in butter).
  • Some people like cocoa butter, which can be added to tea/coffee instead of butter, and I even heard of people who just suck on it as a snack. Not everybody likes the taste, but many people say that they find cocoa butter very satiating, more than butter or coconut oil.
  • I will also sometimes cook meatballs where I'll add various spices to get some variety, that can be kept in the fridge for a few days. They can be eaten cold or microwaved.
  • Oh, and don't forget chaffles. Mix a small cup of grated cheese (mozarella or the like) with salt and an egg, add spices if you want, and throw it in a waffle iron. You can add bacon or something before baking, or let it cool of and use it as bread substitute with butter, cream cheese and whatever toppings you prefer.
  • Homemade bone broth is a classic. Some people put it in a blender and mix it to a creamy consistency. Commercial bone broth often is low fat.
No good answer to the bacon. Most people think that bacon is fine, however some people (me included) are worried about preservatives, sodium nitride mainly. Personally I will eat bacon or other meat with preservatives on occasion, but no more than once or twice a week. I prefer fresh sausages with no preservatives except salt, citric acid and the like, that will keep only a few days. Anything that has a "best before" that is further than a week away will contain preservatives.

Having said that, the biggest step is to transition to keto/carnivore. What I said in the previous paragraph is advanced finetuning. I'd say eat as much and as often as you like (read: whenever you're hungry) while you in transition, including bacon and sausages. Just make sure you eat enough fat. We can do the finetuning 3 months down the road when you're fully fat adapted.

Footnote: Cocoa butter is not carnivore. However, all the major fats contained in it are also part of animal fats, and I'm not aware of any antinutrients (like oxalates). Check out the fat composition on Wikipedia if you want to compare.
I oddly feel weird and shitty at the same time. I don't have to worry about vic C as I already been supplementing that for NAC recycling. I've been on basically low sugar for years as I don't like sweets really. I just add butter to the meat and salt. Water and once a day I drink a collagen with glycine (Pre cursor for NAC) . How do you know if you're eating enough fat ? I basically just add butter . My bowels might need betaine to raise stomach acid. I'm taking 30 days off work to adjust to this as I can't work like this . Unfortunately I think this is the last I'll work as a chef. Ima have to settle on disabilities leaves me 300$ for meat so I'll have to be find deals.

Frunobulax

I oddly feel weird and shitty at the same time. I don't have to worry about vic C as I already been supplementing that for NAC recycling. I've been on basically low sugar for years as I don't like sweets really. I just add butter to the meat and salt. Water and once a day I drink a collagen with glycine (Pre cursor for NAC) . How do you know if you're eating enough fat ? I basically just add butter . My bowels might need betaine to raise stomach acid.

That depends on your kidneys, levels of stomach acid and other metabolic issues. Some people are fine with 60% calories from fat and 35% from protein, others need 75% fat. I'm afraid there is no easy test for this. I'd recommend to weigh your food and enter it into a food calculator for a few days, this will give you an idea where you are. And try to err on the safe side (75% calories from fat).

belize44

I oddly feel weird and shitty at the same time. I don't have to worry about vic C as I already been supplementing that for NAC recycling. I've been on basically low sugar for years as I don't like sweets really. I just add butter to the meat and salt. Water and once a day I drink a collagen with glycine (Pre cursor for NAC) . How do you know if you're eating enough fat ? I basically just add butter . My bowels might need betaine to raise stomach acid. I'm taking 30 days off work to adjust to this as I can't work like this . Unfortunately I think this is the last I'll work as a chef. Ima have to settle on disabilities leaves me 300$ for meat so I'll have to be find deals.
I know what you mean about weird and shitty at the same time! Some days I can swear I have less joint pain, and then others its through the roof! I still have to find the optimum ratio of protein to fat, because after a meal I find that my BP has dropped very low as if it is taking all my energy to digest everything. I try to consume no more than 6 to 8 ounces of meat/fish or whatever at one sitting, with extra butter. Today I had scrambled eggs with leftover bacon and cream cheese and got a low BP even though the bacon was salty and I added salt to the eggs!:(

drmullin30

I eat a lot of jerky. I bought a dehydrator and I use cheap cuts of beef, pork and turkey. This makes for great convenient snacks and is much less expensive than buying it from the store. I also love to fry hamburger with eggs and I often keep a pre-cooked stash of beef hamburger patties ready which I call "meat-cookies". Meat-cookies make great snacks LOL!

For true ketogenic dieting, the experts say you want to have at least 75% of your calories from fat but you may not need that ratio it's very individual. Part of it depends on how quickly or easily your metabolism converts protein to glucose.

I seem to be able to stay in ketosis as long as I eat less than 100 g of carbs per day on my current workout plan. If I workout less, I need to reduce this to stay in a ketogenic state. I also do intermittent fasting (16-8) so that changes things a bit as well and increases your body's ability to switch from fat to carbs faster and easier.

Frunobulax

For true ketogenic dieting, the experts say you want to have at least 75% of your calories from fat but you may not need that ratio it's very individual. Part of it depends on how quickly or easily your metabolism converts protein to glucose.

I seem to be able to stay in ketosis as long as I eat less than 100 g of carbs per day on my current workout plan. If I workout less, I need to reduce this to stay in a ketogenic state.

Short answer: For some people, even small amount of carbs (say 30g) will throw them out of ketosis for days. Other people can eat carbs without any problems and return to ketosis quickly. All depends on metabolic health.

Long version: The key here is insulin levels. If you are insulin resistant, you'll need a lot more insulin to process carbs. You will need up to 10 times the insulin of a healthy patient to process the same amount of glucose, depending on the degree of your insulin resistance. A decent indicator is fasting insulin, where a healthy value is 3-4 mU/l. However, even values up to 20-25 mU/l are considered "normal", because the vast majority of the adult population is insulin resistant and "normal range" is simply what's observed in a population that shows no symptoms. However, very good arguments can be made that people with high insulin should be considered diabetics or at least prediabetics, even though glucose is only moderately raised.

Now, insulin blocks the ability to produce ketones. So two people may eat exactly the same amount of carbs (say 100g). One is insulin sensitive (=not insulin resistant), she/he could be back in ketosis after 8h or so (which is a common value for children who are insulin sensitive), once the glucose is burned off. The other is insulin resistant, and may need 48h or longer to get into ketosis. (There are other hormones involved, including hormones that control how much protein the liver converts to glucose. Insulin is the "master" component, the other hormones get out of whack if insulin is too high. But you can't relate ketosis to insulin levels directly.)

Insulin sensitivity returns, even though it takes years. My fasting insulin is still between 5 and 8 (there is a lot of variation in this value, depending on sleep, stress and the like) after nearly 2 years on low carb. But I'm optimistic that I'll be at healthy levels in a year or two, which will allow me to consume some carbs if I want.

Ben Bikmans new book is an excellent discussion of insulin resistance, highly recommended.

Last edited:

belize44

I often wonder if there is more to the sugar and carb cravings. Some days I mourn the loss as if it were a dear friend or even a family member. I feel like I have lost an intrinsic part of myself when I don't go in the kitchen and bake some cookies or a cake. Sugar and carbs have been my comfort foods for so long I am quite lost without them!

belize44

I've been meaning to ask; are any of you that are practicing the Carnivore diet, female? I have noticed that males seem to have a quicker rate of success with initial weight loss, but I couldn't say if that is certain. I also think that there may be hormonal differences between the two sexes, that make us experience this diet differently. Thoughts?

Back