• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Transdermal Experiment

This...is probably one of the reasons i began this blog....and i am finally getting around to writing about it. I am not certain how i will section this up but it will be in multiple parts as i've been extensively experimenting in this area. Please remember my situation is severe, i've had very little access to medical care and had to get very creative. Please use your intuition and know each of our bodies are so different. But, we already know this.

Lets start. So, i began developing symptoms of mast cell in 2008 but i didn't know and either did any Drs at the time. I would go through periods of losing most foods, medications, supplements etc. In 2013 i went through a seemingly amazing partial remission after being on an antibiotic for a month and a pregnancy that really helped my system. But...it all disappeared and i crashed into the abyss in 2016/2017. My world kept growing smaller and smaller. Maybe you can relate. except for a year of pregnancy, the past decade has meant i mostly take containers of foods places...back when i could. Then in February 2017, it was my last attempt of being out in the world beyond Dr's and hospitals. My husband and i went to a restaurant and i decided to try food something....and it went really bad. I went into tachycardia, couldn't feel my legs, lips swollen and i have never stopped the vertigo that severely began that day...5 years later. My husband believed i was having a panic attack and refused to seek medical care but i knew it was much different and i had no benadryl or anything with me. So i immediately began pressing the spot right under my nose. It is a potential life saving meridian point in sticky situations. I have had to utilize that point along with other maneuvers MANY times as i eventually became allergic/intolerant to most every antihistamine etc. It did help avert more crisis but my body began a cascading mast cell situation over coming months induced by many perfect storms of herxing, lyme treatments, stress and other things that completely collapsed my body to the bedridden state i remain in.

In 2018/2019/2020 i had daily at times back to back to back mast cell episodes in my neuro system that would leave me completely unable to move. Even eating safe foods was dangerous at times and full body hives, swollen lips and at times mildly swelling throat was a common occurrence if i wanted to eat...to maintain life. It felt like russian roulette...like should i chance eating? or chance not eating and eventually wither from blood sugar drops that were now happening every 45 minutes (was told it was adrenal related by cardiologist). My practioner in 2018 did not think there was a high likelihood with the state my adrenals etc were in that i would survive an epi pen attempt. Also, you can't use an epi pen 3 times a day. So, i had difficult choices to make, as some of you can relate. I had to keep that histamine threshold at levels that didn't kill me whilst not being able to tolerate any meds or supplements at this point. I also had severe cognitive issues from the constant inflammation and episodes and so little help. I was disassociated 24/7 for large portions of these years. I had no allergists etc because remember i was constantly sent home and told to get to Mayo clinic somehow by most Drs at this point.

Sooooo....i knew i was going to die if i didn't get some vitamins in me. My D level was a 6 and it is presumed it went much lower than this as i got more severe but was not tested due to obvious reasons. My B12 levels went from 700 to under 400 in 2017 and many levels just absolutely plummeted in me. All of 2019 i worsened extensively. I was having mini seizures in the night. I lay in fetal position with my eyes closed all day shaking violently at times. My neighbor is an acupuncturist and would be called over instead of ambulances at this point...because whats the point? I couldn't handle needles anymore at that point but she would apply points to try, even a little to bring my adrenals back from obvious collapse. She felt helpless though and it pained her greatly to watch me suffer without being able to give my body any herbs. The tachycardia and blood sugar drops every single overnight were very difficult, understatement. My current lyme practioner has said i am the worst metabolic syndrome case shes ever seen. No amount of meditation or neural retraining would alter it significantly. Only tiny temporary amounts. I would awaken unable to move, blurry eyed and in incredible distress...every morning...plus my family left me be. My husband refused to assist me. So i would leave sweet potatoes in here overnight and glasses of water to survive the mornings with so little help or assistance. I began developing large sores in my mouth and other areas in 2019 that it is now thought to be scurvy. I developed rectal bleeding that was incredibly painful. My period mostly ceased in early 2018 for 4 years. It was like i could not produce enough blood (some type of hypovolemia? a theory of mine). I could not move to my side...daily...without my heartbeat going above 175 bpm and massive shortness of breath as well as other things that go along with these states. In June 2019, i attempted to put vitamin C drops on my belly and my throat and lips began swelling. Another similar situation and i had to call ambulance. It was like a bad movie that just kept getting worse. HOW was i going to get these vitamins in me that i needed? And was not absorbing correctly. Dr's knew i needed vitamins, i was routinely told. Iv's were tried with more reactions to most and it felt like people just gave up on my case.

I then heard about the book on Dysautonomia and Thiamine Deficiency. Although i could not read books at all then, i was able to watch some youtube videos on it. I had so many symptoms of berberi, yet no ER tests for that and unless you are a current alcoholic, they really don't explore it much in that setting. I was experiencing mental signs of it, some type of worsening brain swelling/inflammation with intense pain and pressure most hours (bubbles were constantly felt in brain and spine at this time), constant tachycardia and other issues. In December 2020, my lyme practioner confirmed i was onto something, that i absolutely had a overlooked B1 deficiency. Thats been a huge part of this journey for me, looking and listening within more and more. Trusting. My body gives me the information, if i will just listen.

In June 2020, i remember i made a phonecall at midnight to a church ( i am not religious) and someone prayed over me. I left an email of where i wanted my cremated ashes to be placed. I knew i was dying a slow death from severe deficiencies. I could hardly digest food or lift my head up. An attempt at the hospital sent me home crashed further. I prayed every day when i went that it would not be torturous and not be when my daughter was sleeping with me. Then, i got strong inner guidance to re- try magnesium and B complex...on my skin as it felt like i was out of most options. I had attempted this before in 2017. I did raise my D and B levels but quit it because i couldn't figure out what was causing me to worsen. The bottles were retrieved. I decided there was an order to this after some research. Not much because my brain would go black very quickly with thoughts or stimulation at this point. I was NOT going to start with C and D this time but magnesium and B. I also began a few crystals of celtic sea salt on my tongue same week. So, i began. One drop on my knee on B complex. One pump of magnesium lotion on my buttocks. And, from that tiny amount....i felt shifts. Like my bodys cells were desperately soaking these in. I had NO reaction. So that fall i spent building my B up, then i bought a B1 liquid on top of complex because to treat berberi in hospital setting you need HIGH amounts. Which i didn't safely have access to and most likely would cause a cytokine storm in me. I had to explore this as a pioneer and slowly keep adding drops. Within DAYS of starting B1 the severe daily heart pain and related symptoms began diminishing!! The brain swelling and pressure and severe regular pain began shifting within a month. The massive heart rate irregularities from rolling over were now only when i tried to sit up to use restroom. The vein or artery in my left neck was shrinking and no longer hugely pulsating (yes, it was visible daily on outside) especially when i tried to move or sit up for restroom. I was doing something...i was really, really doing something. How was this overlooked?

Here is the book i am referring to:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/...se-dysautonomia-and-high-calorie-malnutrition

Part 2 is next....

Comments

Incredulous and incredible. Your strength, determination, and resourcefulness illustrate the power of the human spirit and the will to want to live despite unimaginable suffering. I have no doubt that some of these modern doctors could learn a thing or two from your experiments.

Hello Sunshine44......I agree, that's quite a story and I'm glad that you were able to figure out the basics of it yourself. Pay attention to what your body is telling you b/c you're the person dwelling in an ill house.

Your life is very small, isn't it? Also, you're still so young. I've used as many as 4 epi-pens at one time myself (well, in a corner ER facility). Even if you could use 3/day the price of them increased dramatically about 2 yrs. ago. It certainly wouldn't be wise to make a steady habit of it...harmful even.

Many meds are now being given by topical application. Let's just say that you're right in the current trend....and it's a huge bonus if it's successful for you. I'm glad.

Just because I don't write doesn't mean that I don't think of you. I'm sorry that you're suffering and do hope that someday you'll find relief in some form...a return to life that is better than what you have today. I sincerely wish you well. Keep fighting!! Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well detailed and I very much concur with Cloudyskies statement.
I would like to write more but it is not a good day in this body, again.
When you are healed you could write a best selling book.
OK need to close my eyes here.
Talk later.

Incredulous and incredible. Your strength, determination, and resourcefulness illustrate the power of the human spirit and the will to want to live despite unimaginable suffering. I have no doubt that some of these modern doctors could learn a thing or two from your experiments.

Thank-you Dave.
I am incredibly grateful for your and others support on this journey past few years. Its an incredibly difficult journey made easier by support groups as this. Wouldn't that be something if i was actually listened to one day?! ha. I have learned so much on this journey, and if my story can even help one other..well, thats good enough to me.

Hello Sunshine44......I agree, that's quite a story and I'm glad that you were able to figure out the basics of it yourself. Pay attention to what your body is telling you b/c you're the person dwelling in an ill house.

Your life is very small, isn't it? Also, you're still so young. I've used as many as 4 epi-pens at one time myself (well, in a corner ER facility). Even if you could use 3/day the price of them increased dramatically about 2 yrs. ago. It certainly wouldn't be wise to make a steady habit of it...harmful even.

Many meds are now being given by topical application. Let's just say that you're right in the current trend....and it's a huge bonus if it's successful for you. I'm glad.

Just because I don't write doesn't mean that I don't think of you. I'm sorry that you're suffering and do hope that someday you'll find relief in some form...a return to life that is better than what you have today. I sincerely wish you well. Keep fighting!! Yours, Lenora.

Thank-you dear Lenora! Your kind words mean so much! Much wisdom, as always :) :heart:

Well detailed and I very much concur with Cloudyskies statement.
I would like to write more but it is not a good day in this body, again.
When you are healed you could write a best selling book.
OK need to close my eyes here.
Talk later.

awww, thank you dear Wolf.
Your words and support mean so much.
Know i am sending you so much healing light today and i am praying more days of ease surface for you soon. Know we are all here for you.

Interesting sunshine. I've had B-1 deficiency show up twice over the years on lab tests................but I havn't had any practitioner mention that it could be a problem. They didn't even suggest that I should take it. I guess they figured only alcoholics could have such a deficiency? Don't know their reasoning but I find it strange in a way they never addressed it. I had to go to ER on DEC. 6 of this last December due to some stranger than usual neurological disturbances. After all the tests were done , I could have swore the attending mentioned I had a b-1 deficiency and I mentioned to her that it has shown up in the past..............but then she got so busy talking about other things, that she never mentioned anything else about it. I will definitely be talking to my primary Dr. about it when I see her next.

Are you still using the transdermal B complex? If so where do you get it from? If this will be talked about in part 2.........no need to reply. thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Interesting sunshine. I've had B-1 deficiency show up twice over the years on lab tests................but I havn't had any practitioner mention that it could be a problem. They didn't even suggest that I should take it. I guess they figured only alcoholics could have such a deficiency? Don't know their reasoning but I find it strange in a way they never addressed it. I had to go to ER on DEC. 6 of this last December due to some stranger than usual neurological disturbances. After all the tests were done , I could have swore the attending mentioned I had a b-1 deficiency and I mentioned to her that it has shown up in the past..............but then she got so busy talking about other things, that she never mentioned anything else about it. I will definitely be talking to my primary Dr. about it when I see her next.

Are you still using the transdermal B complex? If so where do you get it from? If this will be talked about in part 2.........no need to reply. thank you for sharing.

I am sorry for your suffering Tammy :(
I feel this is a common theme in quite a few of us even if our blood levels are ok. I utilize a B1 drop that i put on my legs but there are also powder or pills you can crush up. As noted by those that wrote the book, it cannot be done alone. It needs to be in conjunction with B complex and magnesium and some suggest a few other things as well. All of this stuff works synergistically together. There is also a company that makes a patch B1 (contains only B1).

What is the brand of B1 drops you use?

Herb Sciences, i believe its called high potency but in the scheme of things, to treat true berberi, much higher doses are required. I am still playing with this. I feel when utilized with the other co factors of vitamins that this can be a significant starting point. I mean look what this alone has done for me. I am at 19 drops 3 times a day.

https://www.amazon.com/Thiamine-Alcohol-Free-Digestion-Maintain-Function/dp/B0001ITUR0

Hello @sunshine44.....Because of such a myriad of symptoms (and we all seem to have them in one direction or another), I decided to look at the year you became ill after what would be considered a successful pregnancy. Have you ever checked out something called Sheehan's Sndrome?, as it has to do with cessation of menses and pregnancy. You may find it interesting...or nothing, I don't know.

It's a terrible shame that you don't have more help at home, although the sweet potato idea is a very good one. Are you or are you totally bedridden (see, I always thought you were). Would like to know more about the state you're in.

Your children must help a lot, thank goodness. Nothing from hubby, I take it. At least you're putting your time to good use and helping your doctors as much as possible. I'd say you're doing a great job.

Yes, the transdermal meds/patches seem to help a lot of people and we're getting the amounts in doses we can control. Mg. seems to be something that all of us need in good amounts....true, too much can cause stomach upsets but in many of our cases, what doesn't?

@Tammy, I'm sorry that I wasn't aware of your hospitalization. Very strange that the doctors, nurses...someone wouldn't address your deficiency and you're right, I would certainly bring it up. At best, blood tests are difficult. You can be one point from being red flagged and you aren't....isn't there still a problem somewhere? I hope the transdermal B-1 will help.

Both of you: I hope you have better days ahead. At the very least, I hope you have a springtime shrub right outside your bedroom window. Mine is a bridal wreath and it should be full of blooms this year. Yours, Lenora.

Hi @sunshine44 ..I have a question on the reflexology charts and points....

trying to not overthink things which leads quickly to not thinking clearly.

1) I got entirely disoriented on the right and left foot issue on these charts ..at least this one labels the feet.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/787591...4f3&rec_type=ss&ref=pla_similar_listing_top-1

2) I recall specifically fixing RIGHT side issues by working on LEFT SIDE points- I found that entirely confusing to think about just now.

I' ve got this new topical oil to try and want to apply it somewhere for good effect. Copaiba oleoresin.

Hmmmm @Rufous McKinney , i am not familiar with flipping the sides in a crosshatch way. I know the brain does this and there can be certain ways to navigate this but the chart you sent me, you just work on it vertically. That is at least the way i have studied in reflexology books and so forth.

What are you using copaiba for? pain? Because you want to apply it diluted to the area of pain. Or anxiety etc? Then you can apply to the brain area of your foot and honestly just give your entire foot a nice gentle massage and rub if you can while you do this. Listen within of when you should stop. Either foot would work just fine or you can mix in a little dish and apply to both of your feet :) Copaiba is generally a very safe and neutral essential oil. Hope this helps!

What are you using copaiba for? pain? Because you want to apply it diluted to the area of pain. Or anxiety etc?

well one person has shown up in PR: cured the ME.

I decided to get some and try it...for miscellaneous anything it might help.

I'm considering various locations to apply it, and want to be cautious proceeding.

thanks for your advice!

I'm considering various locations to apply it, and want to be cautious proceeding.

Note to thread: I mostly no longer bother diluting the Copaiba, as I seem to have no reaction to it.

Always fun seeing your home experimentations due to medical abandonment….. actually see the light of day.
I suspect they are using DMSO....

CURIOUS: how you're using B-12? @sunshine44

I got some very pure stuff and "less than a drop" caused me my typical reaction (feel awful).

One whole drop under my tongue was TOO MUCH. So I think: maybe try this topically, maybe I can apply LESS THAN a drop, that way.

That’s amazing rufous. Copaiba is generally very well tolerated undiluted. But I always like to recommend slow and extra cautious with our crowd.

I’m so sorry about your experience with b vitamins 😞 when I try to put a drop in my mouth very very bad things happen. That is still not an option for me. I started with my knee putting a single drop on for weeks. Then to my thighs then eventually moved to belly button and over adrenals at times (adrenals eat through b’ s especially in severe states like mine).

I moved my B levels from under 400 to 1575 just from these bcomplex drops on my SKIN. Please note, I am not a fan of only b12 as from my research and experience we need multiple B’s that aren’t even routinely tested for and they kind of work synergistically I’ve found. I use premier formulas b complex drops around $29.

If you absolutely cannot tolerate b vitamins on your skin, can you tolerate moringa powder in shakes or tea? It’s very high in B vitamins. It’s a whole food source which the body recognizes and appreciates more than all these singular supplement versions nowadays. Moringa powder is used in third world countries to help remedy nutritional deficiencies etc. It’s just like adding hemp protein powder to a shake. I once did 7 tsp a day when I was severe severe for 2 years. I now do 3 a day. Anyways, people use it as a natural multivitamin in a way. Maybe that could assist your sensitive body more. I’m not sure. Might be worth researching.

Interesting, isn't it? What happened to the nasal sprays.

I do wish that researchers would spend their time on pain relief, especially in lieu of our fentanyl mess. I hope you're feeling somewhat better today, @sunshine44. Yours, Lenora

Awfully good point Lenora. They should utilize nasal forms more.

Lenora have you ever tried any of these for pain? I know of multiple people that have received benefits. Let me post links below.

https://voxxlife.com/wellness/pain/

https://gokailo.com/pages/kailo-off...UQ8Bjgl16DBrh9sVxayIIhXHvkvlnXPUaAiRVEALw_wcB

There are more but here are a few to look into.
Safe non drug alternatives to pain relief.

Also, Ive wrote about the Healy device I own which is FDA approved for pain relief. But is more expensive than above options.

Hello @sunshine44. Thanks for the above information.

I have tried aids similar to voxxlife.com, and have found that they help.

I haven't tried gokailo....indeed, this is the first time I've heard of it.

A few years ago, I went to a Pain Specialist. His thoughts were that I should an implant (and this was before my fractured pelvis and other problems). Fine, but after reading about it, I just could bring myself to do it.

Instead of lasting for one year, it only last for mos. in some people....that put me off. I've used Lyrica and also the 4% lidocaine pain patches, that actually worked very well.

Now it's probably time to move on to something else. I've also used specially made creams for pain.....they were fantastic and I should start them again.

I do know that a lot of progress has been made since the early days of gabapentin, but oh, we have so much more to do. Things change and unless you have access to the latest research, you're rather lost. I do know that when I had my worst pain, nothing at all existed (except ice, which was great as a numbing agent). I still resort to it at times today.

Thanks for sending the info sunshine. I'll look into it more carefully. Oh, anything with lidocaine is also good for itching...it's the lidocaine that blocks the itchiness.

You're a sweetheart and I do hope you're feeling better about what happened earlier this week. If we're lucky, the doctor feels worse!

:heart: :heart: Lenora

@sunshine44 Have you used the Kailo?

@lenora What specially made pain creams have worked for you?

I'm working on releasing a frozen shoulder and a knot in my back.

I know this isn't the topic of this thread, and also thank you for all of the information, especially about b vitamins and topical supplementation.

@sunshine44 Have you used the Kailo?

@lenora What specially made pain creams have worked for you?

I'm working on releasing a frozen shoulder and a knot in my back.

I know this isn't the topic of this thread, and also thank you for all of the information, especially about b vitamins and topical supplementation.

Hi there 😊
I have not used kailo but have a few friends that have found relief with that and or voxx life pain patches.

Transdermal is so little talked about yet such an efficient way of integrating nutrients, meds etc in some of our compromised states.

Wishing you the best in finding relief!

Have you ever played with solfeggio frequencies? I utilize these a lot for pain issues. Sounds silly, I know but some greatly assist me.

Hello @maddietod. The cream I've used in the past is available with a prescription through a Compound Pharmacy. You need a prescription and I would ask for it to be sent out on a Monday only, with plenty of ice packs.

It's can't tolerate warm/hot temps. Included are #1- lidocaine, gabapentin, robaxin, mabumatone and prilocaine OR#2 - ketamine, amitryptiline, baclofen, DMS, guafenesin and lidocaine. Both worked well, except the last one was a big messier.. but probably provided greater pain relief.

My neurologist has now been dead for a year. These were the first mixtures that weren't absorbed into the organs of the body and for me, rubbing it on my painful places lasted for at least 6-8 hrs. I found tremendous relief.

I'm sure the ingredients have changed once again...they're finding these specialized creams to be a great help. If you want more info, please contact me. Oh, they're fairly expensive but that may have changed. Yours, Lenora

Blog entry information

Author
sunshine44
Read time
7 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from sunshine44

• Medical update
    Vent and purge post***** Trigger warnings Don’t read further if you...
  • Release into the new
    Well…. My body is STRONGLY feeling the pull of this eclipse. No...
  • Eclipse
    “There will be a time, when the dark finds out that it has been serving...
  • Let it go
    Hi everyone, Starting a new blog entry on it because … well I just am...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...