• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by Nico

Nico
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Hey, I've recently started a bit of a "love affair" with BBC online radio. I listened to this podcast tonight. It's 17 minutes long. The topic: solitude. One person interviewed on this radio show is a a woman who chooses solitude. She is content with it. She tells, at the end of the...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
I had a parathryoidectomy in August. The sick parathyroid gland, some other healthy parathyroid tissue, and some thymus tissue will sit in the hospital's path lab for up to 3 years. I contacted Simmaron Research via email to ask if any researchers would be interested in tissue biopsies for...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Hi, I have an appt with Endocrinology 18 April. I have hyperparathyroidism. From what I'm reading so far, surgery seems like the best option. But, I don't think I'm a good candidate for surgery because of the ME/CFS. However, I just wanted to share this new onset...in case someone has...
Nico
2 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I got the flu shot yesterday. I got it after reading a few posts here on PR, and made my decision. I made my decision because I have a super super LOW WBC count, and if I possibly get the flu, I might not be able to fight it like someone with a normal immune system. I consider myself in a high...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I found this posted on Facebook today: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151373264025229&set=o.308253523676&type=1&theater I think the ebook is available now, and it seems access to the hard copy on 12/22 and 12/23 A bit fogged at the moment....so I personally haven't delved into...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I just wanted to share this call for papers...as it may provide an opportunity for someone who is able to, contribute to this call for papers. http://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/cdd/announcement/view/112 This may help broaden the scope of understanding about any dimension of M.E.
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
I just saw this on MSNBC and thought it would be worth sharing. The ME problem is exacerbated - for me - by EMFs...very much like the people in this clip. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43215154#43215154 also of (sad and disturbing) interest...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
This is a wonderful web site for cultural things. I like it because I like hearing French or German... which is a nice neuro-linguistic change. It's great because one can see a lot of interesting things that are usually later at night. I most recently saw: Du Cirque de Demain; which was...
Nico
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Yesterday i heard this radio show from the BBC about Internet addiction. I was worrying that I, too, may have a tendency toward internet addiction. I have family members - in good health - who wake up and go online....and I think could be online for 8, 12 hours a day. I believe one is a true...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
I'm trying to do volunteer work at a local museum, for their library. I've learned some new things, perhaps a lot of new things, and I'm grateful for that. I last about 40 minutes - 60 mins in the library. There is wi fi, and I get so tired from it....today my vision became blurry as I was...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Someone posted this on Facebook today. http://www.themedguru.com/20101124/newsfeature/nibble-chocolate-cut-symptoms-chronic-fatigue-study-86142150.html This was my thought: interesting article...yet cocoa contains l-arginine, which in higher doses can cause problems with some CFS...
Nico
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
So, to continue my time-line: after the work (2001) in the trauma unit (I lasted 6 months) I quit and took time off from working. I had money saved. I moved to Providence, RI. (2002) In RI I tried going running, and that is when I had the heavy leg feeling. It was very strange for me. I...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
This was from the prior post. I can't comment on whether or not vaccines in and of themselves are to blame. I'm not a researcher or scientist. Millions of people are vaccinated. The mistake I made was not waiting to space out the vaccines. I have ADD, and part of ADD is making impulsive...
Nico
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
I wrote this segment about some of my journey. I feel very fortunate that I became ill in my (late) 30's....whereas some of us have been ill for much longer. I felt moved to write this little bit today. I feel very hesitant in some ways to post this because it's an indulgence to me. Even so...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
http://www.upenn.edu/gazette/1109/expert.html
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
:Sign Thanks: I live in a senior/55+ high rise. There is a provision here that lets "kids" like me live here, so long as we are verifiably disabled with a mobility kind of issue. So, here I am. Last night the seniors and another 'youngster' met for a talent night. It was pretty amazing...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Ok, I get the part that if you have a (retro) virus it can be passed along through bodily fluids. I guess there are air-borne viruses which are pretty dramatic: Hanta virus, Ebola virus. I think you just need to take a light wiff and you're hit with these 2. I'm no scientist by any...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
(Inspired by Merry's Posts) It's a Cafe', Named after a dance, The Flyer said "Old Time Music Jam" I'll go This Sunday readied with carry-along food ear plugs cane and hope hope that I will endure the 2 1/2 hours and not fall over in my chair I guess I better arm...
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
I want to thank Cort and whoever else works on this site for the easy chat forums...:thumbs up: :Sign Thanks:
Nico
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
I have a hard time reading longer things. I have had great success with getting books on tape/cd. Also listening to radio shows online, when my eyes need a break from movies. I also listen to regular radio shows on the PBS station.... Here are some favorites: Audiobooks: The Cat...