• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very noticeable improvements in brain fog using Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oils (which provide a similar dose to B12 injections)

I've been on the protocol for a while. A few months on the cofactors and was on the full dose of B12 for a few weeks but developed worse fatigue. Was told to reduce the B12, which I did, but fatigue has continued. Who knows if worse fatigue is from the protocol or not.
Wouldn't the worsened fatigue be from potassium defiency? To my knowledge fatigue is a normal reaction to getting b12 after a deficiency because the body will start repair work on cells, thereby boosting cell growth, which will take a lot of potassium.

There is a huge thread in here about the struggle to get enough potassium in this situation. You may need as much as 5000 mg a day which is 3 times more than the normal RDI.

I've had a lot of extra fatigue after taking b12. Sometimes I also think that the body just gets tired from the repair work in general.

Artemisia

Wouldn't the worsened fatigue be from potassium defiency? To my knowledge fatigue is a normal reaction to getting b12 after a deficiency because the body will start repair work on cells, thereby boosting cell growth, which will take a lot of potassium.

There is a huge thread in here about the struggle to get enough potassium in this situation. You may need as much as 5000 mg a day which is 3 times more than the normal RDI.

I've had a lot of extra fatigue after taking b12. Sometimes I also think that the body just gets tired from the repair work in general.
Thanks. The FB group people recommend extra potassium. I have a high potassium diet and get 7000 mg from food alone, but I have been supplementing another 500 mg or so most days. I guess 7500 mg still might not be enough?

I guess 7500 mg still might not be enough?
7500 is surely a lot! But as you say, there isn't really such a thing as 'enough' as long as the repair process goes on. It's like feeding baby birds in a nest, no matter how much you give them they will still be hungry because they are growing.

I think GRJ has a good point in taking less b12, and actually that's the strategy I have been using too by staying on sublinguals in stead of oil or injections. Because I already have too much trouble keeping my potassium up as it is.

Apparently the oil is as effective as injections, so maybe try try one or more kind of sublinguals for a start to find something that works, but slower?

At least in my experience the tiredness and the need for potassium is just part of the game and something to accept as a price to pay for the healing. Putting it out will only make it worse.

Artemisia

I think GRJ has a good point in taking less b12, and actually that's the strategy I have been using too by staying on sublinguals in stead of oil or injections.
Do you mean he sometimes recommends people don't take the full dose of his oil? I'm a bit confused because I believe he's said you cannot replete B12 by oral B12 supplements.

Do you mean he sometimes recommends people don't take the full dose of his oil? I'm a bit confused because I believe he's said you cannot replete B12 by oral B12 supplements.
Ah, someone wrote that he recommended to take less further up in the thread. Sorry, I thought that was you.

Nevertheless I think that may be a solution for you to slow things down a bit. Sublinguals may not get you all the way, but in my experience they've worked well enough to do the job at first. Also you could take the oil less frequently.

I'm switching to oil now (just ordered) because by now I can't cover my need with the sublinguals.

Jadzhia

Yes he does, especially at the start of taking B12 oil. This is due to some folks having reactions, so he recommends as little as a pin head of oil to start with if that's what it takes, then gradually build up to the full dose. I imagine that would take some time! Fortunately I was able to start on about half the dose and didn't have too many issues. However some folks definitely do have to go low and slow.

jason30

Taking T3 fixed my brain fog. I am hypothyroid so it's for a good reason, not just randomly taking it, which I don't recommend. Thyroxine (T4) didn't do anything for me so I tried T3 and that has worked really well. Fatigue is another thing, though.
Do you take T3 as a supplement? Or medication through the doc?

Jadzhia

Do you take T3 as a supplement? Or medication through the doc?
Strictly, neither. I have hypothyroidism so was put on Levothyroxine (T4) by my GP, but it didn't do much for me. I discovered that some folks took T3, but in the UK it's really hard to get it prescribed and my GP said I wouldn't get it, so I bought some from an online pharmacy to try, and felt a lot better mentally. My GP knows I take it, but it's not prescribed. I've had to figure out for myself how much to take and how to take it (in 2 daily doses).

jason30

Strictly, neither. I have hypothyroidism so was put on Levothyroxine (T4) by my GP, but it didn't do much for me. I discovered that some folks took T3, but in the UK it's really hard to get it prescribed and my GP said I wouldn't get it, so I bought some from an online pharmacy to try, and felt a lot better mentally. My GP knows I take it, but it's not prescribed. I've had to figure out for myself how much to take and how to take it (in 2 daily doses).
Thanks, the same goes for me (I have hashimoto). My GP don't describe it for me so I am looking for alternatives. Did you bought it from an online pharmacy in the UK?

Jadzhia

Thanks, the same goes for me (I have hashimoto). My GP don't describe it for me so I am looking for alternatives. Did you bought it from an online pharmacy in the UK?
No, have to get it from overseas suppliers. Always a bit of a worry, my most used one has changed payment methods so that none work for me now, and I am scratching around finding other suppliers. Not fun.

Taking T3 fixed my brain fog. I am hypothyroid so it's for a good reason, not just randomly taking it, which I don't recommend. Thyroxine (T4) didn't do anything for me so I tried T3 and that has worked really well. Fatigue is another thing, though.
Would you think that T3 fixes your brain fog for the same reason that iodine or iodide fixes mine? (Well, at least it makes it considerably better...) Seems that it is all related to thyroid metabolism, but I have very little insight in that. I just know that iodine helps for brain fog for quite some people.

Jadzhia

Would you think that T3 fixes your brain fog for the same reason that iodine or iodide fixes mine? (Well, at least it makes it considerably better...) Seems that it is all related to thyroid metabolism, but I have very little insight in that. I just know that iodine helps for brain fog for quite some people.
Good question. I had to think about that for quite awhile. Quite possibly that's true. I also take a small amount of Iodine but wasn't taking any when I originally started T3. From the very first 5 mcg I took, I felt the change in my brain. That never happened taking T4. On T4 I stopped dreaming. T3 brought back dreams vividly. It's odd because T3 clearly gets to my brain but the rest of my hypo symptoms are stubbornly still there.

jason30

No, have to get it from overseas suppliers. Always a bit of a worry, my most used one has changed payment methods so that none work for me now, and I am scratching around finding other suppliers. Not fun.
Thanks, may I receive the overseas supplier by PM? And the supplier which changed payments? It's hard to find a reliable source of T3.