• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rethinking Probiotics.

Oci

Homocysteine normal range is very misleading, because you want it between 6 and 7.5.

The purpose of methylation and chelation (as per Cutler) is to make it endogenously. Some people do well on it though, and some don't.
Thanks Gondwanaland. I realize that my homocysteine has been rarely tested and so will ask my doctor to order a test.
As for glutathione I will wait on that experiment too. My doc wants me to have a supp holiday - in past that has cleared my urinary and other symptoms. So, I've cut out a bunch and feel better already. I agree that it is best to make it endogenously. Oci

Gondwanaland

presence of ammonium sulfate may have altered the ability of the enzymes to react with the phenol
ScratchHead.gif

I was considering to have it compounded together with digestive enzymes, but now I am not sure it will work.

Oci

Today I was very foggy in the head. Couldn't think and have had a headache all day. Tight muscles in neck.

I tried 1/2 pkg VSL#3 again and I'm wondering if it is causing this or is it possibly the B2 (FMN) 18 mg sublingual and/or the sublingual hydroxyB12 1,000 mcg I started a few days ago.

I leave on a trip out west to my daughter's tomorrow and wonder if I should take VSL#3 or perhaps Xymogen ProBioMax instead. It is my sense that perhaps I've overdone the probiotics in a desire to cure my problems! I am also taking Metagenics Ultraflora Women's which contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14 and 1 Primal Defense and 2 Sacch Boulardi - all suggested by my doctor albeit not at the same visit.

My itch and bladder symptoms are certainly better so perhaps it is an oxalate issue and its being helped by the VSL?Or is it the Women's probiotic? I certainly am sleeping.

Any guesses as to what is going on and what to take on this trip? Am I taking too much in the way of probiotics? Thanks, Oci

Gondwanaland

@Oci perhaps your morning fog is to to too much GABA from probiotics
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/probiotics-raise-endogenous-gaba.38022/

I take low dose probx and feel like drugged in the morning, so I am not sure if you lower your intake would change anything

I don't think anyone can answer your questions, sorry

B12 usually helps with getting rid of brain fog

For me personally tight neck usually means slow lymph clearance, and I am right now looking into what to do about it other than http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/bains-dérivatifs-cold-water-therapy.15574/

You could try cold packs in the neck
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...mph-swelling-fever-even-after-stopping.38686/

Gondwanaland

The following has already been said before, but I liked this paragraph by Chris Kresser:
So in terms of foods or probiotics, the species that are notorious for histamine production are Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus reuteri, and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, which is in yogurt and which is one of the reasons why fermented foods are generally off the list with people histamine intolerance.

Neutral species that have been studied include Streptococcus thermophilus, which is also in yogurt, and Lactobacillus rhamnosus.

And then histamine-degrading bacteria stains include Bifidobacterium infantis, which is one of the strains that’s found in breast milk and really important for babies, but it’s also been shown to be really effective in IBS, and I wonder if there isn’t some correlation there between histamine intolerance in some cases and IBS, but it may not have anything to do with that. I mean, Bifidobacterium infantis has a lot of beneficial effects. Bifidobacterium longum, which is a more typical kind of bifidobacteria, and then Lactobacillus plantarum.

Soil-based organisms, which we just discussed, appear to either neutral or histamine degrading, depending on the sources that you look at. In my clinical experience, I think they’re histamine degrading because I see improvement in people that are taking soil-based organisms that have histamine intolerance.

Oci

The following has already been said before, but I liked this paragraph by Chris Kresser:
Thanks, Gondwanaland. I have seen the list before but need to study it a bit. Probiotics is a far more complicated subject than most would think.
I have been having some allergic symptoms and so must pay more attention.
BTW, do you know which probiotics help with sleep? And with anxiety? Would like to know for my daughter. Would help me too!

Gondwanaland

do you know which probiotics help with sleep?
The D-Lactate-free ones helped me for a while, but what really helps is thyroid support. It took me a while to realize that and now I am so happy by increasing my T3! It even helps with degrading amines better, and stomach acid is on the rise too.:thumbsup:

Oci

The D-Lactate-free ones helped me for a while, but what really helps is thyroid support. It took me a while to realize that and now I am so happy by increasing my T3! It even helps with degrading amines better, and stomach acid is on the rise too.:thumbsup:
Very interesting that thyroid support has helped. I have done better on those things as well since taking thyroid.

Please excuse my ignorance but which are the D-Lactate-free ones? Anything that does not have "lacto" in the name?

Gondwanaland

@Gondwanaland What are you doing for thyroid support? Are you taking T3? If so, you must have found a great doctor who was willing to prescribe you T3.
I take compounded T4+T3 plus an extra dose of T3 only after dinner and then I can Sleeeeep :sleep:
It took me 2 years to find this dr., but now I know how to look for good drs: I call the compounding pharmacies and ask for names of drs. who prescribe the stuff I want to take ;)
Please excuse my ignorance but which are the D-Lactate-free ones?
See here. Of course I do not have access to those, but I can order the same combo from a local cmpdg pharmacy.

Oci

I take compounded T4+T3 plus an extra dose of T3 only after dinner and then I can Sleeeeep :sleep:

See here. Of course I do not have access to those, but I can order the same combo from a local cmpdg pharmacy.
Why would T3 in the evening help with sleeeeeeep? I have been taking 2 little pills of natural thyroid when I wake up but pretty close to coffee and then 1 1/2 late afternoon. Maybe I should change times of taking them. My sister just told me that she takes her thyroid when she wakes in the middle of the night so as to be away from anything else that might affect it.
I doubt that I can get in Canada the probiotics you linked but will see if the compounding pharmacy can do it.

Ema

Why would T3 in the evening help with sleeeeeeep?
If you have high cortisol at night, taking T3 at bedtime can help use it up so you sleep better.

Studies have found that taking thyroid hormone at night results in better absorption in general, possibly because of more exposure to the intestinal wall due to slower bowel motility at night as well as higher free T3 levels. It may be that thyroid conversion has a circadian rhythm and it is more active at night, especially in the liver.

Gondwanaland

About these probiotics, they made me sleep great at first, then I would feel drugged in the morning and had to stay much longer in bed, and would have lowered energy for many hours. Also worsened constipation. Perhaps they or something else were interfering with my thyroid at that time when i was relying on them to sleep better, so I will have to retry them once I stabilize on my new thyroid dosing.