The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Probiotics raise endogenous GABA?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    An easy read :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...help-tackle-social-anxiety-study-reveals.html

dannybex, Waverunner, xena and 4 others like this.
  2. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    I wish it were that simple.

Now that I'm back to trying some individual strains, and I really need GABA, I'm going to try Lactobacillus Rhamnosus for GABA production and increased GABA receptor expression.

It worked on animals.....?

Converts glutamate to GABA, in testing.

Don't know, hope so.

Waverunner, xena and Gondwanaland like this.
  3. LivingwithFibro

LivingwithFibro Lily

Is it really that simple?

4. adreno

adreno PR activist

Yes, your microbiome is involved in neurotransmitter production. Are people still getting surprised about this?

dannybex and Gondwanaland like this.
  5. xena

xena Senior Member

@Crux
    i'm gonna try it too. also because i saw a paper cited showing rhamnosus could degrade mycotoxins in the body (in mice and chickens or something...) i was thinking about

how is it going?

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10381791
    According to wiki [:redface:], hydroxybutyric acids "can be viewed as derivatives of butyric acid". I'm not sure what the significance of 'can be' is in the context of mammalian physiology. Can anyone help?

Butyric acid is a product of gut bacteria, notably Clostridium butyricum - see this thread.

Incidentally, the sodium salt of gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid is sodium oxybate (trade name Xyrem) - see this thread.

Gondwanaland and Sasha like this.
  7. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I am looking for suggestions to counter excessive GABA in the morning following taking probx at bed time in the previous night. At 6:30 I take my T3/T4 replacement which isn't enough anymore to take me out of bed. I will try to take a higher dose of it but I had detrimental effects in the past (tension in the face muscles, i.e. violent teeth clenching :nervous:). I just won't wake up before 10 when I have taken probx. At least I am having interesting dreams and sleeping very well :sleep: ( @JPV )

Oci and JPV like this.
  8. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Gondwanaland likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.