• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non-Standard Anti-Anxiety Treatment

Hi Hip
Is that interstitial cystitis (IC) that you have, which is causing the bladder inflammation?
Apparently its not IC which is a relief, I've been to a urologist my symptoms are as if it's swollen/burnt and I have a tampon up my urethra when its really bad, which isn't too often these days... it is noticeable but not 'painful' anymore!! Had a camera up there and they can't see any problems. Who knows :) But thankyou for your suggestion thats what I thought I had too.
I suspect IC may be causing anxiety via a vagus nerve pathway.
This is interesting as I'd never heard of the vagus nerve and I was at a Chiropractors office yesterday and they did some tests on me and said my anxiety was due to my vagus nerve and proceeded to release it!!!
I've read this is good for coldsores too, not easy to come by though would want to get from a reputable source, would warrant abit more investigation as to how it works.
Thanks for all your time :)

Gijs

''Inflammation is a form of physical stress in the body that directly upregulates levels of stress hormones, including cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. Under chronic conditions of inflammation – as we see when one suffers from digestive problems – our bodies go into “fight or flight” mode, an activated sympathetic state, in which our adrenal glands secrete excessive levels of the hormone cortisol'''.

Well Said Lovingthem... !!! This is the central problem in ME/CFS for a subgroup.

Brain Inflammation and Anxiety
Hello, Hip. Recently purchased everything you've listed in your "Non-Standard Anti-Anxiety Treatment" and have a few questions. Id love it if you could try to answer some before I proceed to take them.

You said "Note that you do not want to totally block NF-κB, because it is needed for other metabolic functions"

I've got curcumin, grape seed extract, ashwagandha, alpha lipoic acid.
Did you see any benefit in taking more than 2 or 3 of the NF-κB blockers?
Find that too many blocked NF-κB completely?
Did you run into any problems too much COX-2 inhibition?

Did you find that of the supplements in the post needed to be taken for several days to see the effect or are they all noticeable on the day you take them?

I Have also acquired all 29 of the supplements you mention in your "Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!" post apart from amisulpride.

Same question about which of these 29. Did some need to be taken for several days to see an appreciable effect?

Buying amisulpride may be a problem for me and take a couple weeks to get to me in in Australia. Did you find that taking amisulpride with the 28 others was a marked difference between taking all others except amisulpride ?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hip

I Have also acquired all 29 of the supplements you mention in your "Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!"

Wow, you must have a significant anxiety!

Did you see any benefit in taking more than 2 or 3 of the NF-κB blockers?

All of these supplements are additive in their effects, I found, so taking several of them will have more anti-anxiety effect than just taking one.

At one stage I was taking the drug sulfasalazine, 500 mg x 3 times daily which is a potent NF-κB inhibitor, I should think quite a bit more potent than the other NF-κB inhibitor supplements. It had a good anti-anxiety effects, and I had no major problems with this. I think its NF-κB inhibition will probably be greater even than taking several NF-κB inhibitor supplements together.

Did you find that of the supplements in the post needed to be taken for several days to see the effect or are they all noticeable on the day you take them?

Most start working within an hour or two. The exceptions are high dose inositol, which takes around 12 hours to kick in, and the probiotics and prebiotics, which take several days to start work, mainly because it takes a while for these probiotics and prebiotics to get your gut into better shape. If you don't have any gut issues, these probiotics and prebiotics may not help much. I have IBS, and I think inflammation in my gut from this worsens anxiety symptoms.

Did you find that taking amisulpride with the 28 others was a marked difference between taking all others except amisulpride ?

From the anxiety perspective, amisulpride was no more effective than the other supplements on my list; however, I was also suffering from some mild anxiety psychosis, which can occur when anxiety levels become extreme (as mine were). Very low dose amisulpride I found helped with this anxiety psychosis, as did several other supplements in my anti-anxiety psychosis list in this post.

Last edited:
Wow, you must have a significant anxiety!

You only stated that you took one of the 29 supplements with a meal(including the supplements from both posts). Did you take the rest on an empty stomach without problems? Was it more efficient to take them without food?

Last edited:
Hello Hip. If one were to take this regime for a day and see no results whatsoever, can they assume that taking them for 2 or 3 days wouldnt be any different?
Also same for your 29 anxiety suppliment list
I know i asked this before but some of the wording in your posts can be interpreted as ambiguous as to if one day of trail would give one a sufficient idea to continue or not
Thanks

Hip

Hello Hip. If one were to take this regime for a day and see no results whatsoever, can they assume that taking them for 2 or 3 days wouldnt be any different?

I found the supplements kick in fast, but I guess it is possible that with other people, they may take a few days to kick in. But if they have not kicked in by 3 days, I would think then they are not going to work for you. The best way to test is to take a lot of the supplements together.

Generally you will not notice the anti-anxiety effect from one supplement, because it is too small on its own (except in the case of NAG, because this is quite potent even on its own). It is the additive effect of taking say 6 to 10 supplements at the same time that has a noticeable anti-anxiety effect.

sflorence

Since alcohol makes many of my symptoms go away, and alcohol seems to be a anti-inflammatory, do you know of any herbs or supplements that effect the same inflammation sites that alcohol does? You seem to be much more well versed in the subject than I.

thanks
@Hip

Hip

do you know of any herbs or supplements that effect the same inflammation sites that alcohol does?

Ethanol acts on the GABA-A receptors, so perhaps consider a herb like kava kava which works on the same receptors (a study shows it up-regulates GABA-A density).

Benzodiazepine drugs also work on GABA-A receptors, but careful with the addition/withdrawal adverse effects.

Baclofen is a drugs which works on GABA-B.

L'engle

moogle
Note that taurine inhibits NMDA receptor stimulation, by sitting on the NMDA receptors, and blocking their activation by glutamate and quinolinic acid.

This post is quite old but I am looking into taurine right now and have been taking small amounts today and yesterday. So does this mean taurine acts on the NMDA side of things? I had thought it worked on the GABA side and so was risky in terms of down regulating gaba in the long term. Perhaps it works on both so is still risky? Do you happen to know if it is safer when cycled off and on to prevent intolerance?

I have been taking high dose magnesium, but I just seem to be needing more and more of it any time I get any vitamin d. Transdermal application of a thick paste of epsom salts and water didn't do anything. I have resorted to very strong epsom salt baths, soaking for more than 2 hours and not having the water very deep so the concentration is strong. Still it only seems to work temporarily and the next day I have leg cramps and need the same amount of magnesium again. I am mainly initerested in taurine's ability to keep magnesium and potassium in cells as this seems to be what I need right now.

I am thinking of trying NAG as well or instead since it doesn't seem to carry the GABA risk. I don't know if it would have the effect on magnesium and potassium that taurine is supposed to though.

Hip

So does this mean taurine acts on the NMDA side of things? I had thought it worked on the GABA side and so was risky in terms of down regulating gaba in the long term. Perhaps it works on both so is still risky? Do you happen to know if it is safer when cycled off and on to prevent intolerance?

I believe it works on both. When I use around 4 grams of taurine for anti-anxiety purposes, it works, but I find if I keep taking the same dose for 4 or 5 days, the benefits slowly decrease, which I think might be due to tolerance. So I think taurine is best used short term for a day or two.

Last edited:

L'engle

moogle
@Hip @Learner1 Anyone happen to know if glycine receptors are subject to down regulation? I looked around a little but didn't find anything conclusive in my quick search.