1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Hip, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I had hellish, unrelenting generalized anxiety disorder for several years, and, having tried hundreds of supplements (as well as SSRI drugs and TCA drugs) in my frantic efforts to treat it, I recently found 3 supplements that seem to pretty much eliminate my anxiety!

• The first and most potent anti-anxiety supplement is N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG), taken at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily (not be confused with glucosamine sulfate, which will not work for this purpose).

• The second most potent is flaxseed oil, one level tablespoon (15 ml) daily. Note that you want flaxseed oil, not flaxseeds.

• The third is the herb turmeric, at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily (turmeric contains 3% curcumin, and many other active ingredients including: demethoxycurcumin, bisdemethoxycurcumin, tumerone, atlantone, and zingiberone). This herb can be bought cheaply as turmeric powder used for cooking.​

My anxiety was so severe that on bad days it would often border on mild psychosis. So it is quite amazing that just by taking these 3 supplements together, I have pretty much eliminated my anxiety disorder symptoms. OK, I still have chronic fatigue syndrome, but ditching the anxiety is a great improvement.

Anti-Anxiety Effects — Mechanism of Action

It is not entirely clear why these 3 supplements work so well for me. They are all anti-inflammatories, and they may work by reducing inflammation in the brain. Recent research has shown that brain inflammation can cause many mental symptoms, including anxiety symptoms, depression, ADHD, and many others. So the anti-inflammatory properties of these supplements may be the mechanism by which they eliminate anxiety.

On a similar note: on days when my sinusitis was worse, my anxiety levels would shoot up. My theory is that in some people, sinus inflammation may be a prime factor causing anxiety symptoms. Perhaps inflammatory cytokines in the sinuses spill over into the brain (the brain is situated just next to the sinuses), precipitating brain inflammation, which in turn leads to the anxiety symptoms. I observed that that N-acetyl-glucosamine dramatically reduced my sinus inflammation, and so this may be the mechanism by which N-acetyl-glucosamine eliminates anxiety symptoms.

Another consideration is that these 3 supplements are all useful for irritable bowel syndrome (which I have), and it may be that their anti-inflammatory action in the gut helps lower overall body inflammation, which can help lower brain inflammation.

By reducing the inflammation causing your anxiety symptoms, you are treating the very source of anxiety, biochemical speaking.

Further Info

The full list of 29 supplements and drugs that, by trial and error, I found had a useful anti-anxiety effect on me is given here:

http://chronicsorethroat.wordpress.com/site-map/treatments/#anti-anxiety-treatments

The most potent anti-anxiety medications I placed at the top of the list (N-acetyl-glucosamine being the strongest, at least for me). I literally tested hundreds of supplements for their anti-anxiety effects, and this list only contains the medications that worked for me. And from the feedback I received, it seems that these supplements are often very effective for others too.

Being "Wired" Related to Anxiety?

I have the impression that the "wired" feeling in ME/CFS patients is related to anxiety. Feeling wired (as in "wired but tired") may be a mild version of anxiety, or be related to anxiety. I certainly find that I never feel wired when I take these anti-anxiety supplements. So these anti-anxiety supplements may also help people eliminate the "wired" state of ME/CFS.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Actually, let me post my full list of 29 anti-anxiety supplements and drugs in this thread.

Note that if for any reason one or more of the top three supplements do not work for you, then substitute them with another medication from this list. It can take a little trial and error before you find the supplements that work best for you. If your anxiety is severe, then you may want to add additional supplements anyway.

Anti-Anxiety Supplements List

The most potent anti-anxiety supplements are those towards the top of the list:

• N-acetyl-glucosamine 1000 mg twice daily (the most potent anti-anxiety treatment)
    • Flaxseed oil 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of this oil daily (taking more may cause diarrhea)
    • Turmeric 1000 mg twice daily (not to be confused with curcumin)
    • Very low dose amisulpride 12.5 to 25 mg daily (more info on this effective drug here)
    • Arginine pyroglutamate 1 heaped teaspoon (5 grams) twice daily
    • Taurine 2 to 4 grams when needed (fast acting; best to use short term for a day or two)
    • Citrulline malate 3 grams twice daily
    • Vinpocetine 10 mg daily (take with food)
    • Vitamin A 25,000 IU daily

Saccharomyces boulardii yeast probiotic 3 capsules daily
    Jarro-Dophilus EPS probiotic 5 capsules daily
    Inulin (prebiotic) 3 heaped teaspoons daily (more info on prebiotics here)
    Inositol powder 2 heaped teaspoons (15 grams) daily
    Choline bitartrate 500 to 1000 mg once or twice daily (treats social anxiety well)

Aloe vera juice 1 tablespoon (15 ml) twice daily
    Transdermal magnesium cream applied to skin once or twice daily (how to easily and cheaply make your own magnesium cream described here)
    Horsetail herb extract 600 mg daily (contains 10 mg of silica)
    Evening primrose oil 5 ml (4000 mg) twice daily

Pregnenolone 25 to 50 mg daily
    Propolis 4000 mg twice daily (but don't take before bed, as it may keep you awake)
    Curcumin 1000 mg once daily
    Terminalia chebula herb 1500 mg twice daily
    Grape seed extract 500 mg once daily

Acetyl-L-carnitine 500 mg twice daily
    L-carnitine 1000 mg twice daily
    Bacopa monnieri herb 1 to 2 grams daily
    Phosphatidylserine 400 mg once or twice daily (works best with omega 3 oil)
    Cetirizine (Zyrtec) or loratadine 10 mg daily (antihistamines have anti-anxiety effects)
    Piracetam 1000 mg has an anti-anxiety effect, especially in combination with choline bitartrate

Note: the horsetail herb extract fights kidney infections; if you have a chronic kidney infection, the inflammation can lead to anxiety symptoms.

The supplement N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG) may not be advisable in Lyme disease, since NAG can feed the bacteria.

Anti-Anxiety Supplements and Drugs That Also Have Anti-Psychosis Effects

It is known that mild psychosis can manifest in people who have severe anxiety disorder. This is sometimes called anxiety psychosis. Along with my severe anxiety levels, I often experienced psychosis symptoms (thankfully relatively mild psychosis), especially on days when my anxiety was more severe than usual.

Psychosis is defined as a loss of contact with reality (involving confused or disorganized thoughts, lack of self-awarenes, lack of insight, unwarranted suspiciousness, paranoia, false beliefs).

Fortunately, I found that certain specific supplements had both anti-anxiety and anti-psychosis effects, and these were very useful for me. The supplements that I found reduced both my anxiety and psychosis symptom are these (listed in approximate order of efficacy):

N-acetyl-glucosamine 1000 mg (or more) twice daily — the best.
    Amisulpride in very low doses 12.5 to 50 mg daily — also excellent. At much higher doses this drug is an antipsychotic, so it is not surprising it helps to reduce psychosis even at very low doses.
    Flaxseed oil one level tablespoon (15 ml) daily (more may cause diarrhea).
    Vitamin C powder 3 grams in a glass of water, taken three times daily — much cheaper if you buy in bulk powder.
    Phosphatidylserine 400 mg once or twice daily (works best with omega 3 oil) — much cheaper if you buy in bulk powder.
    Niacinamide (a form of vitamin B3) 1000 mg twice daily (though I found higher levels of niacinamide may cause some slight emotional blunting, but this side effect will probably not occur in other people).

Note: you do not have to read this whole thread if you think you may want to experiment with these supplements. You can just choose some supplements, and try them out. It generally requires several supplements taken in combination to get a strong anti-anxiety effect.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    robinsonsb, Lotus97 and merylg like this.
  3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Feeling wired can coexist with anxiety..but Ive found it to not always be the case at all.

I can get into this wired but tired but still very happy state at times.. like im on some kind of happy wired drug high. (which also at times can feel like if I'd had a massive boost of caffiene). Ever seen a child who on staying up too late goes all crazy and silly.. starts running about a room making noises or whatever (not all get cracky when over tired and gone into wired, it can be more like a child who's had too much red food colouring and has all this energy which one just cant get out). That's how I sometimes feel...with no negative emotions connected to it.

Other times (it all depends on if I have had anxiety or not as part of my recent ME/CFS symptoms) being wired will increase the anxiety I had at the time. (what im saying.. as if it wasnt there already a bit of anxeity there already, I dont get anxiety with being wired.. wired just intensifies anxiety if its already there).

for myself.. feeling wired occassionally, can be an enjoyable state to be in (as can be very useful as it makes me feel more energy to go and do things which in turn..knowing im doing things without having to push myself is pleasurable, thou the crash from it later can suck).

It is annoying thou if one is wired right before bed..or at other incovenient times...(in those causes it can lead to anxiety esp all if one really wants to do is go to bed and actually sleep).

Great post thou with all those anti anxiety ideas.

aimossy likes this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

One $2 theory I have is that the "wired" feeling in ME/CFS might come from overall brain inflammation — particularly from the brain's microglia cells, activated as part of the inflammatory response, and pumping out lots of glutamate (as they do when they are activated). Glutamate acts as a powerful excitotoxic stimulant in the brain, as it stimulates the NMDA receptors.

So that's an idea I had about the cause of the "wired" feeling: the brain's NMDA receptors overstimulated by the glutamate released by chronically activated microglia during inflammation. One study in Japan did find that microglia are activated in ME/CFS patients.

Perhaps anxiety only arises when this glutamate overstimulation specifically occurs in the amygdala, which is the main area of the brain responsible for mediating anxiety. If the glutamate overstimulation happens in other areas of the brain, then maybe different mental symptoms arise, but not anxiety.

This might explain why sinus inflammation is often linked to anxiety: the sinus cavities lie very close to the amygdala, so inflammation occurring in the sinuses might conceivably precipitate inflammation in the nearby amygdala, causing the amygdala's microglia to activate and pump out glutamate, leading to amygdala overstimulation, and anxiety.

Or something along those lines... This is $2 theory, and you can't get much for $2 these days.

joe12, zzz, Adlyfrost and 8 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi Hip - I'm really pleased to hear that you've got rid of your severe anxiety. That must be a huge relief.

I have just started getting treatment for chronic sinusitis and am very interested in whether the anti-inflammatories that you mention might help with that. I don't want to hijack your thread so I've started another one specifically on that topic if anyone would like to comment.

6. gu3vara

gu3vara Senior Member

Then I guess LDN is a good choice for anxiety as it decreases activation of microglia in the brain. I've been feeling less wired since I'm on it. (Though I added manganese afterward and it caused me to be more agitated, but in a different way).

aimossy likes this.
  7. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    I'm glad to hear you got relief from that horrible anxiety.
    I listen to all the DAN! talks (extremely useful) and Dr. Mary Megson said one time that inflammation in the gut goes everywhere, including the brain.
    She didn't provide a reason why or any proof but it is intriguing.

aimossy likes this.
  8. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Have a look at this, maybe it rings a bell (particularly table 3):
    Mast cell activation disease: a concise practical guide for diagnostic workup and therapeutic options.

Given that you have gastrointestinal issues, I think it would probably be worth giving cromolyn sodium (GastroCrom in the US) a try...

9. Lala

Lala Senior Member

EU
    Hi hip, thank you for all this info, I am glad you improved so much. I just started NAG today. How long does NAG take to start working? Also which brand do you use? I have Jarrow NAG 750mg.

10. globalpilot

Ontario
  11. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Hip really good news that you've found supplements that've helped you. Must admit not heard of
    N-acetylglucosamine, looks quite interesting from the read up.
    Can anyone explain what the N-acetyl means?

I did try N-acetylcysteine (NAC) a couple of times which was disastrous, and to boot didn't realise you shouldn't take it if you have amalgams - double whammy. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the above:)

12. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Haven't felt anything from NAG. Curcumin and Holy Basil, on the other hand, has an anxiolytic effect on me.

13. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    It simply means that the compound is acetylated.

14. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I think a gut connection is certainly possible. There are so many similarities and overlap in neurotransmitters, etc. between the digestive tract and the brain.

I know that for me personally, when I accidentally triggered some major gut issues with a supplement, my mood went haywire. Evened out again when my gut did.

15. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I was replying to you, globalpilot...

16. globalpilot

Ontario
    I actually did do a trial of this years ago. It didn't do anything for me but it certainly would be worth considering for others with gut problems. Maybe a new post with this info would reach more people. It's buried here deep in the thread.

Sparrow - I had a complete resolution of symptoms on a very strict diet years ago. I have always thought there is an overgrowth and I've been addressing that with good success finally after trying many approaches. My doctor thought it was allergies.

xrayspex likes this.
  17. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Thanks nanonug, I am going to look into that. I understand that mast cell activation is associated with IBS, but I had not heard that there was a way to treat this, in the form of cromolyn sodium.

18. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I find my sinusitis / nasal congestion gets rapidly cleared within an hour or so of taking NAG, and my anxiety levels will reduce in the same time period. It is a very noticeable effect for me. Hopefully it will work for you too.

The effects of NAG begin to wear of after around 10 - 12 hours, so that is why you need to take another dose later in the day.

I have just switched to Jarrow NAG 750 mg myself, and I take 2 x 750mg in the morning, and another 750 mg in the evening.

I usually take NAG, flaxseed oil and turmeric together, as these three make up my anti-anxiety armory, and together more or less eliminate my anxiety symptoms.

If I want to be super-chilled out, I will take several more of the anti-anxiety supplements in my above list, in addition.

19. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I have seen a number of articles on the general idea that inflammation in the body's peripheries can significantly affect the brain. These three papers are interesting:

From inflammation to Sickness and Depression: When the Immune System Subjugates the Brain

Cytokines and the Brain: Pathways and Mechanisms for Cytokine Signaling of the Central Nervous System

Cytokine, Sickness Behavior, and Depression

A quote from the second paper: "recent work has demonstrated several routes by which peripheral cytokines can either directly cross the BBB or indirectly signal the brain through other informational substances".

The third paper talks about how pro-inflammatory cytokines in the body can activate the vagus nerve, and this nerve then signals this activation to the brain, and thereby instigates an inflammatory response in the brain.

In other words: you could have inflammation in your gut, and the inflammatory cytokines can travel to and precipitate inflammation in the brain, or can precipitate inflammation in the brain by activating the vagus nerve within the gut (the vagus nerve innervates the gut area).

And I imagine that, if you have inflammation in your sinuses (which are located just millimeters away from the brain), inflammatory cytokines from the sinuses may have a significant inflammatory impact on the brain as well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    aimossy likes this.
  20. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    You may also try ketotifen if you are outside the US.

See more popular forum discussions.