• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good reaction to Cellfood- may be oxygenating the body, helping immune system; apparently boosted thyroid & now helping stroke patient

Wishful

There is a chemical difference, and I would assume it is this difference which causes its beneficial effects for me.

In terms of chemical reactions, the difference is extremely small. The chemical reactions will all be the same, but there might be a very slight difference in reaction rate. I think it's extremely unlikely that the deuterium instead of hydrogen is responsible for anything about Cellfood.

No, you can say that the safety of what @Mary's taking is proven. To extend it to all sulfuric acid health products is a bit too broad for me.

Cellfood is basically sulfuric acid with contaminants. That's probably what most chemistry labs would report. I expect it would be hard to notice that the sulfuric acid molecules are slightly heavier.

Hip

I read that the Lumina Health / NuScience Cellfood formula is claimed to have been originally created by one Dr Everett Lafayette Storey, who it is said was awarded the Nobel prize twice, and also worked on the Manhattan Project. Well on the list of Nobel prize winners, there is no Storey listed. And in fact when you search on his name, the only websites which appear are ones about Cellfood. So again, more mystery and misinformation.

Much of the online literature of Storey and Cellfood mentions the same proposed mechanism of action, namely that Cellfood splits the water molecule H2O into oxygen and hydrogen. But as @Wishful touched on earlier, splitting water into oxygen and hydrogen requires energy, and without a source of energy, it cannot be done.

So I doubt that this is the real mechanism of action of Cellfood. But Cellfood may have some other viable mechanism of action, because the following studies suggest it may have positive effects:

On the Italian Cellfood website, there is a list of research studies on Cellfood, and one Italian placebo controlled study on fibromyalgia found Cellfood reduced fatigue levels, which is also what @Mary noticed.

And this study from South Africa looks at the effects of Cellfood on athletic performance; this pdf summarizes the results. It appears lots of blood oxygen parameters like VO2 Max were improved in the Cellfood group compared to controls.

This study found that Cellfood reduced oxidative stress.

Cellfood is also sold under the name of Deutrosulfazyme, and this Italian paper on Deutrosulfazyme concludes:
Taken together, these preliminary data suggests that the Deutrosulfazyme supplementation can be useful in the modulation of oxygen availability i) by facilitating the consumption and ii) by avoiding the unwanted side-effects of the oxygen itself. May be that deutherium sulphate, due to the presence of the isotope of the Hydrogen, plays a role in this action (Figure 5) (9).

However, further studies must be performed in order to confirm the potential use- fulness of DeutrosulfazymeTM in the modulating the oxygen bioavailability in living system, by either in- creasing or decreasing – on demand – the level of this gas, when a condition of hypoxia or hyperoxia do occur, respectively.

So here they are speculating that it may be the deuterium which is specifically involved in creating these effects on oxygen.

And the name "Deutrosulfazyme" suggests the manufacturers think deuterium sulfate may have some enzyme (catalytic) action.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
And this study from South Africa looks at the effects of Cellfood on athletic performance; this pdf summarizes the results. It appears lots of blood oxygen parameters like VO2 Max were improved in the Cellfood group compared to controls.
I read a summary of this study on the luminahealth.com website (distributor of Cellfood) but could not find the source or citation so I was in the process of trying to track it down, and once I found it, I was going to post it, as these are rather impressive results! But you found it first :)

On the Italian Cellfood website, there is a list of research studies on Cellfood, and one Italian placebo controlled study on fibromyalgia found Cellfood reduced fatigue levels, which is also what @Mary noticed.
Just to clarify, I don't have fibromyalgia, but it has reduced my fatigue levels - and is helping with chronic sinus infections.

Hip

Looks like a rival deuterium sulfate product is Synergy O2, which is described as:
74 trace elements and minerals, amino acids and silica extract from plants, suspended in a solution of deuterium sulfate

The price of Synergy O2 is similar to Cellfood.

There is also an intriguing legal case where NuScience tried to stop two individuals named Robert and Michael Henkel from selling the proprietary formula of Cellfood:
The formula was developed by Everett Storey while he was an officer for Deutrel Laboratories, Inc.

Upon Storey’s death, the laboratory and its business was willed to Lois Ramm; in 1991, she sold the laboratory and all trade secret assets to Jerald Rhoten, who later formed NuScience.

Since 1997, when Rhoten sold the laboratory and assigned the formula to NuScience, CELLFOOD has become the heart of NuScience’s business, which enjoys $350 million in annual sales.

In 2004, Ramm’s will was probated. At that time, her brother, John Henkel, allegedly discovered documents that detailed the trade secret formula; he subsequently threatened Rhoten and NuScience that he would sell or reveal the formula, but was permanently enjoined from doing so by an Iowa state court.

Hip

Searching Google for any accounts of ME/CFS patients benefiting from Cellfood, I found this:
Cellfood gives you a floodgate of energy!

Within a few days, I noticed I had more energy, felt less tired, and needed to sleep less. I was cautious not to begin celebrating too early. But after another week of taking Cellfood, I knew for certain that it was responsible for making me feel more energetic, livelier, and giving me a clearer mind which previously was foggy.

Since experiencing the positive increase in energy, I never gave up ordering Cellfood. Now Cellfood is a major part of my life, and a significant "weapon" against Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Source: here (Amazon reviews)

Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia have been my constant challenge for the past 8 years. I read about the oxygen supplement Cellfood and it made so much sense! The very FIRST time I tried Cellfood, I felt the energy return to my body. My brain-fog cleared. My concentration improved. I now take my Cellfood everyday, several times a day and my quality of life has improved dramatically.

I have fibromyalgia to the point that every cell in my body hurts. It also caused me to feel tense and constricted all over, and my thinking is slow and foggy. After taking Cellfood for just 24 hours I could feel more energy, I felt looser, and my thinking became much clearer. Within a month I wondered if I needed the Cellfood because I felt so much better. I briefly stopped, but soon realised that I need to keep taking it.
Source: here (the above two are testimonials from a Cellfood website)

There are also a few earlier mentions of Cellfood on Phoenix Rising, but not really much in terms of glowing reports.

Wishful

I couldn't find any reason for D2SO4 affecting oxygen levels. However, D2SO4 would immediately split off a D, forming hydronium ions, most with one D and 2 H's per O. So, adding D2SO4 to water would simply provide some deuterium atoms to the body's chemical reactions. Some comments I found:

'An example is the cytochrome P450 system, which apparently does not work very well against deuterated materials.'

'Experiments say you'd have to replace about 25% of the water in your body before you'd notice the effects, which would take about a week of drinking nothing else.'

' Heavy water has a pronounced effect on the mitotic spindle once it reaches a certain proportion of total water and is fatal at that concentration.' [The mitotic spindle is the microtubule-based bipolar structure that segregates the chromosomes in mitosis.]

'Many chemical reactions inside cells will be slower. Cell division is affected most.
Experiments show that 25% deuteration causes sterility, and high concentration (about 50%) of heavy water in the body can kill animals.'

The effects of deuterium are stronger than I expected. None of them sound particularly healthy. If, for some reason, it was the effect of sulfuric acid (light or heavy) that was providing a health benefit, I'd rather take battery acid than Cellfood.

I suppose deuterium could reduce some reactions causing ME, but the amount of D in Cellfood sounds trivial, so I wouldn't expect it to affect ME without also causing other noticeable effects in other body systems.

Hip

Heavy water has a pronounced effect on the mitotic spindle once it reaches a certain proportion of total water and is fatal at that concentration.' [The mitotic spindle is the microtubule-based bipolar structure that segregates the chromosomes in mitosis.]

Yes, heavy water (water which is D2O or HDO rather than H2O) has some adverse effects in the body in high amounts, but there's not enough deuterium present in the water found on Earth to cause significant health issues.

The water we drink mainly contains H2O, but one molecule in every 3,200 is HDO (the semi-heavy water molecule), and one molecule in every 41,000,000 is D2O (the heavy water molecule). So not much deuterium is present.

Similarly, the amount of deuterium introduced to the body by Cellfood would be negligible.

There is actually a Romanian company which sells a deuterium depleted water product called Qlarivia with a reduced amount of deuterium, which is supposed to have health benefits — see this post. But also check out the video of someone drinking pure heavy water, with no noticeable adverse effects.

Last edited:

Hip

I've just ordered some Cellfood, so will be trying it shortly. Probably like most things, it will work for some ME/CFS patients but not others. However, unless you try something, you'll never know if it might work for you.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I've just ordered some Cellfood, so will be trying it shortly. Probably like most things, it will work for some ME/CFS patients but not others. However, unless you try something, you'll never know if it might work for you.
@Hip , I take it 3 x a day, about 10 drops each time in water. @Wayne posted that he tried it several years ago but only took it once a day. He said he did notice a little surge in energy. So, as I know you know, dosing is important. I know I wouldn't have the benefits I do if I only took it once a day. But it can cause a detox reaction - it did for me initially - so I would start with a smaller dose -

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Yes, that’s the sad story. I also ordered Cellfood but haven’t noticed any benefit yet (a couple of weeks).

Hip

@Hip , I take it 3 x a day, about 10 drops each time in water.

Thanks, that's quite a decent dose. I will start slo, but aim for the same dosing, of 10 drops three times a day.

Yes, that’s the sad story. I also ordered Cellfood but haven’t noticed any benefit yet (a couple of weeks).

The field of ME/CFS treatments always seems to be more "back to the drawing board" than a catalogue of successes. After nearly 15 years of ME/CFS, my shelves and cupboards are littered with old jars and boxes of drug or supplement treatments that did not work out. Although there have been a few successes.

But one thing every potential new treatment gives me, even if it does not ultimately work out, is an initial positive feeling of optimism for a few weeks that it might work. Sometimes I think that optimistic feeling alone it worth it!

Wayne

I read that the Lumina Health / NuScience Cellfood formula is claimed to have been originally created by one Dr Everett Lafayette Storey

@Hip, @Mary, if you have any interest in some of the history and/or other specifics about Cellfood, there's a 49-page .pdf file online which is the same publication I still have on my bookshelf after all these years. Below is a brief snippet on some of the history. Here's a link: http://cellfood.microwaterman.com/CellfoodBook.pdf

Re-reading this has me wondering whether Cellfood might be effective for protecting us from EMFs and other kinds of radiation(s). And whether that kind of radiation protection is part of why people feel better when taking it. I myself am particularly concerned about 5g radiation, and am thinking it might be time to revisit this supplement.

Snippet:

After the war, Storey and several of his colleagues encountered a more personal crisis: they were dying of radiation poisoning resulting from their exposure to harmful radiation. It was then that Everett Storey developed the conceptual blueprint for Cellfood. He theorized that the same water-splitting technology that he’d been refining for years could be used to heal a human life.
By utilizing hydrogen’s non-radioactive isotope, deuterium (as deuterium sulfate), and a full blend of required trace minerals, enzymes and amino acids, he would create a solution, an ‘electromagnetic equation’, that could release vital oxygen and hydrogen into his blood stream, remove toxic radiation, rebuild his systems, and return him to health. Everett Storey stated, “It’s time for the general acceptance of the concept that even in some terminal cases, our bodies can— given the essential building blocks— repair and reconstitute every living cell within a span of 11 months.”
The same “water splitting” technology that was employed in the fission trigger technology was incorporated into Cellfood. He thus created an oxygen therapy based on the ability of deuterium ions to self-sustain a catalytic reaction, one in which our internal body water is dissociated into oxygen and hydrogen.

Wishful

He thus created an oxygen therapy based on the ability of deuterium ions to self-sustain a catalytic reaction, one in which our internal body water is dissociated into oxygen and hydrogen.

Well, that part sounds like total nonsense. Even catalyzed reactions require the energy difference between the reactants and the products. As described, it would be a 'free energy' generator, which violates known physics.

The 'electromagnetic equation' that somehow does miraculous things seems like a nonsense marketing term too. My guess is that it worked as a marketing term at that time, and if he created his product today, he would have called it a 'quantum vibrational resonant matrix' or some such thing that has equal (zero) meaning.

Wayne

How quickly would you say the benefits of Cellfood kick in? Is it something that takes weeks to appear, or do you notice the benefits on the same day as taking it, or within a few days?

@Hip, I would usually notice an uptick in energy within about an hour. That would seem to dispel the notion that the benefits mainly derive from the body's utilization of the minerals in the product. Perhaps the minerals are somehow changing the way energy flows in the cells or something--I really have no idea. BTW, I did go ahead and order a bottle for $22.49 on eBay (including shipping).

Reflecting on my experiences from way back when, I remember I had to start out slowly. And as I recall, it was because taking more than a drop or two in the beginning would feel too stimulating for me. I don't think I ever went beyond 4-5 drops at a time, and usually only once a day in the morning. It's possible that taking it later than that may have disrupted my sleep.

Hip

My guess is that it worked as a marketing

I certainly think that the marketing department of Cellfood have gone out of their way to create a product description which tantalizes potential purchasers by throwing in dozens of scientific-sounding ideas, but which probably have nothing to do with the way Cellfood actually works.

I suspect that even the manufacturers do not know how it works, but they have observed that this type of flowery advertising literature is the most effective way of selling the product.

However, since NuScience gets $350 million in global sales from Cellfood (see this post), I presume that income arises from from customers who are finding some sort of benefit.

So I think the bottom line is whether Cellfood results in noticeable benefits, rather than whether any of the scientifically dubious marketing literature is true or not.

Wayne

I just checked whether I'd posted about Cellfood on the old ProHealth forum. Turns out I did a couple of times back in 2008. Here they are...

Hi Rainbow,
I finally got around to doing a bit of research on Cell Food after seeing you mention it again. Am happy to hear you're having continuing success with it. I'm about ready to order some and give it a try. Thought I would paste a Fibromyalgia/Cell Food testimonial below for those who may have an interest. Thanks for posting again on this; I'm hoping it might do some good things for me.
Regards, Wayne
I am 36 years old and I have fibromyalgia since I was about 12. Cellfood has dramatically changed my life. There was a lot of things I couldn't do before, because of pain in all my body. Now I have a normal life. I take Cellfood twice a day (or three times a day when I am very stressed or I do some sport) and all pain has disappeared. It worked from the first day (I began to take it about 20 months ago). I couldn't believe it, since I had tried a lot of products before, without success. Fatigue has not completely disappeared but it was also decreased.
[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2008]
...........................................................................................................​

I've tried both Oxygen Elements Plus (not sure if it's the same thing as MAX) and OxyLift. They both claim to create ozone (O3) in the body. I recently started taking Cellfood, which is supposed to create extra oxygen (O2) in the body. I've discovered that my body likes the Cellfood best, although I did benefit from the other two products.

Wishful

However, since NuScience gets $350 million in global sales from Cellfood (see this post), I presume that income arises from from customers who are finding some sort of benefit.

Well, that's not really much of an argument for its actual effectiveness, since homeopathic remedies have a $5.6 Billion global market...and no scientific evidence that it does anything more than the placebo effect.

I'm not claiming that it doesn't make some people feel better, whether it's placebo effect or some real chemical effect (maybe something leaching out of the plastic bottle, due to sulfuric acid). I'm just surprised that a company can get away with marketing claims that are pure nonsense. I expect that a simple chemical test would show that it doesn't 'release a flood of oxygen' or whatever the claim is, and it certainly isn't splitting water into H2 and O. Where's the government's consumer protection?

Hip

Well, that's not really much of an argument for its actual effectiveness, since homeopathic remedies have a $5.6 Billion global market...and no scientific evidence that it does anything more than the placebo effect.

Good point.

I'm just surprised that a company can get away with marketing claims that are pure nonsense. I expect that a simple chemical test would show that it doesn't 'release a flood of oxygen' or whatever the claim is, and it certainly isn't splitting water into H2 and O. Where's the government's consumer protection?

Some of the studies on Cellfood are summarized in this Italian conference poster, and there is one showing that adding Cellfood to water increases its oxygen solubility. Whether that has any clinical significance, I don't know.

Another study in the poster demonstrates that Cellfood is an antioxidant.

The poster also states that:
Deutrosulfazyme [Cellfood] has been described as an original formula able to both increase oxygen availability and to reduce oxidative stress, two apparently contradictory effects.

Perhaps more significantly for ME/CFS patients is the study in that poster showing that Cellfood reduces lactic acid in athletes.

godlovesatrier

Hey @Mary

Thanks for telling me about this. I hope it doesn't give me any side effects. I will order some. On that note hsa anyone noticed insomnia, terrible hunger pains (due to increased immune function), an exponential dosing effect (evey week that goes by you get a bit more than you did the week before).

I ask about the last one because while it's fantastic at taking you up slowly and bringing you down slowly, which is what we ME people need. It also eans you might have to stop it for a certain number of weeks, if the effects become too much. I have side effects to almost everything so if anyone knows of any that would be great :)

I'm going to order some anyway and give it a go.

thanks!