• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Springbok1988

I have been diagnosed with GAD and used to experience panic attacks. This really feels like a panic attack that is ongoing. It doesn’t feel like general anxiety but it doesn’t get my heart going like a panic attack. But in my head it feels exactly like a panic attack. It’s completely overwhelming and intense. I’m not really sure how to describe it. It just never ended. It was hellish. I don’t experience it in the slightest anymore with NAG.

Hip

It just never ended. It was hellish. I don’t experience it in the slightest anymore with NAG.

I know what you mean by hellish. I had moderate to severe GAD for many years, and it was horrible. From the very moment I would wake up, to the last moment before sleep, I'd have this terrible mental tension all day. It felt like form of torture brought down on me by some malevolent being from above.

I can vouch that the NAG seems to wash away the worrying type mental activity.
The first day I used it I just decided to go out for a long walk into town to pick up my prescription and do my shopping. This was unusual as I have not done this for 2years. I felt the usual problems and distractions normally mean I’m not relaxed enough to be worry free to go and do this.
I’m going to try using it at night at a slightly higher dose but the NAG has had a very unusual, unique result and their are zero side affects it seems to wash your brain free of the anxiousness

Yes HIP I’m looking into this as well after reading your posts about it.
I take a high strength probiotic in the evening that designed to be resilient against stomach acid. I’ll probably increase this to more than one.
I’ve looked into leaky gut idea and the best known remady I’ve heard of is the Gundry ‘total restore’which are very low quantities in each capsule and way over priced but the active ingredients are NAG and also L- glutamine which I’ve heard help repair the gut wall but what dose should be taken -I have no idea, some take 1000mg capsules some have 5g I think it’s suppose to help build muscle in people who train.
I will be getting some pre- biotics next.
Because I’m on clozapine I need to drink a lot of Movicol drink for constipation (which I’ve read kills your good bacteria in the gut)
I’ve had gut issues for the last 15 years ( basically constant diareer with the movicol)
So I think any probiotic and pre biotic is going to be worth while.
What’s the best pre-biotic to get ?
Is their a brand you can recomend.

Basically I’ve got to keep experimenting in the main medications to get a significant change
Some on the list are
Lamotrigine (with clozapine)
Quetiapine with Buspirone
Duloxetine
Maybe escitalopram

Bromazapam or diazepam or zopiclone which is surprising I’ve never tried regular use of diazepam.
There’s a few new antipsychotics that look promising but their not yet licences in the Uk
(Lumateperone) (ziprazidone) are two
Possibly topomax (iGaba and neurotransmitter balancing)
Acamprosate all for alcohol
Your idea of Amiloride I’ll look into
Quetiapine XL gave the best sanity I’ve ever tried better than clozapine without the tiredness but I had issues with mini seizures and was unable to sleep for 10 days also major indigestion and dizziness
It may be worth trying this again if the issues I had can be got round.

But I was surprised when the NAG did something quite significant so I’m taking supplements more seriously now. The (Wax matrix ) niacin I also found has a significant affect
I also take 2x caps of Magnesium l threonate ( neuro mag life extension brand) which seems to help me get to sleep their cirtainly no negative affects from them. This is suppose to get the magnesium across the blood brain barrier.
Thanks again HIP
Greg M
Hi HIP,
I’m continuing the search for supplement and pharmaceuticals to resolve the anxiety and stress lifetime issue.
Im investing in a better probiotic namely the
Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS Multivitamin Capsules, 120-Count P30531
Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS Multivitamin Capsules
and once funds are available will be getting the prebiotics and
Swanson Ultra Phosphatidylserine 100mg, 90 SoftgelsSwanson Ultra Phosphatidylserine 100mg,
There’s a lot more on list (Amiloride being one)
Intersestingly I’ve had a very good result from Valarian root 1000mg in morning and it noticeably had a subtle anxiety reducing effect. As usual I was not really aware of any change but the outward affect behaviour changed where I became able to do and feel like doing more jobs. This then made me aware that they had calmed me down and I could put 2&2 together that it was this reduction in stress that allowed me to be able to get some tasks done.
Still it’s only probably 1/4 affective and it seems from what I can find that 1000mg is the maximum that’s safe to take of the valaian root before its hepatic toxicity becomes too high ?
GregM

Attachments

• A9CEBEED-7CC5-4EF3-81DD-0DF7768A4508.jpeg
    A9CEBEED-7CC5-4EF3-81DD-0DF7768A4508.jpeg
    803.3 KB · Views: 17
  • ACBCDB2B-C43A-4410-AE85-246753D5BF74.png
    ACBCDB2B-C43A-4410-AE85-246753D5BF74.png
    405.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 825D8E2B-2B5B-4385-9062-1E2010ABAEAF.png
    825D8E2B-2B5B-4385-9062-1E2010ABAEAF.png
    368.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5B3A41E1-38BF-45D5-BB95-C5D90ABD9422.jpeg
    5B3A41E1-38BF-45D5-BB95-C5D90ABD9422.jpeg
    848.5 KB · Views: 18
  • A1E34ABF-F8E3-4EC1-8419-85A3A7BA87BF.jpeg
    A1E34ABF-F8E3-4EC1-8419-85A3A7BA87BF.jpeg
    635.4 KB · Views: 15
  • C70BCC01-882B-43CD-B983-D026668D04D0.jpeg
    C70BCC01-882B-43CD-B983-D026668D04D0.jpeg
    794.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks HIP for your reply

I discovered this from reading about Abram Hoffer work on treating schizophrenics in the 50’s before the major tranquillisers were invented.

I started with regular niacin but got a bad flush reaction and excruciating itch on my legs.
I then tried nicotinamide but this made me extremely hyper, then hexanicotinate which did nothing then found wax matrix niacin that releases the niacin over 8 hours and could then take the higher doses. It unfortunately did nothing for the mind problems (schizophrenia symptoms over the short term) but I did notice a good anti anxiety affect so have kept using them. The lowering of cholesterol is a bonus and it’s got other health benefits that could increase longevity.
I’ll be trying the pre/pro-biotic next
Then I’ll try the amiloride
I used to buy meds from buy pharma but
Now I make sure everything is okayed with my psychiatrist if it’s anything that needs a prescription in the UK
That way I’m covered
I did try 3g vitamin C as well but didn’t notice much but I’ll also look into the phosphatidylserine
Hello HIP again
I’ve come across (above) some more information that’s in line with your theory
Here’s what you replied to me
D9471C3D-5216-4848-A934-21615D85E09B.png
6B9303BE-EED6-4D79-A186-6AD62383CBBC.png

Mycroglia (brain inflammation in the amygdala)
The Tianaptine works on increasing dopamine in this area and the fear terror part is taken out
This is in the above posts

DE20693B-80A0-40F7-A6CD-4D73CBFC36CB.jpeg
697E7AB9-F44F-422F-B347-4B9425EA7F07.jpeg

Hip

I briefly tried some tianeptine (Stablon) years ago, it seemed to put me in a good mood initially, but then it seemed to cause depression. But this was only a very short test. Tianeptine is also noted to stop working for many people. You can search this forum for more info.

perchance dreamer

I've started taking a Host Defense product called Complete Calm in the evenings and find it very helpful for anxiety and sleep. Since I also take sleep medicine, just a half dose works for me, 1/2 tsp. Here are the ingredients:

Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceus) mycelium, Skullcap (Scutellaria laterifolia) leaf, Holy Basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum) leaf, Passion flower (Passiflora incarnata) leaf, California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica) leaf, Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum s.l.) mycelium, myceliated brown rice

It's a powder, and the taste is exceedingly earthy, which you would expect with the mushroom ingredients. It was pretty bad when I just mixed it with a little water, but now, I mix it with a little plain yogurt, and the taste is okay. Host Defense has a lot of interesting products.

HI HIP
Just to give you an update:
I had to stop the wax niacin 1000-2000mg per day as I think I had an enlarged prostrate and weened out what was causing it as the niacin. ( constant urinating every 1/2 hour.)
Secondly I’ve started the Phosphatidyserine 400mg in morning
You posted on 400mg once or twice a day is that correct?

Phosphatidylserine
400 mg once or twice daily (works best with omega 3 oil)

This PS reduces cortisol which is a stress response and I’ve read it is helping for those with adrenal fatigue. I’ve been through constant high stress /hyper vigilance since childhood which I just call anxiety stress. By lowering the cortisol stress can be lowered.
Secondly it increases acetocholine. For me this is good as the medication (clozapine) I’m on is a strong anticholinergic.
The Phosphatidyserine has seemed to stop me getting the stress feeling building up which tends to start a few hours after getting up in the morning and becomes severe and debilitating which prevents me being able to do anything useful during the rest of the day.
Also I’ve had a marked improvement in my in study work on starting the PSerine
I have IBS for years so I’ve changed from movicol 4X per day to fybogel (ispaghula husk) and less movicol. This has greatly helped the IBS.
I didn’t know this was a prebiotic until I read your post.
It has aspartame in it so I’ll buy some pure powder in future. I believe aspartame distroyed the good bacteria.
I’m taking your recommended prebiotic EPS x2 per day and will get the other prebiotics you said about.
My gut and back end products is greatly improved from before with constant diareer for last 10 years
I also have 1350 mg of valarian root in morning, this does have a gaba calming effect but wears off very quickly.
Can you post any links you have or have done on the Phosphatidyserine and how you think it works. And can you suggest what is a safe max dose.
you have been a great help to me and beginning to understand the neuro chemicals in the brain and body that agrivate stress and anxiety and psychosis
I’ve ordered some Tianaptine as well so again it’s a suck it and see once researched as possible idea via neuro chemistry has some valid argument.
Thanks
Greg M

Hip

Can you post any links you have or have done on the Phosphatidyserine and how you think it works. And can you suggest what is a safe max dose.

You can search the forum for my posts on phosphatidylserine. I am not sure if I have posted anything useful. I only now take low PS doses of about 50 mg daily, as I find the higher 400 mg doses I used to take cause increased anhedonia.

Thankyou for your reply
I have had a result so far with the PSerine
My anxiety has come down a notch
The PSerine initially was stimulating but after a few days started to bring down I think the cortisol levels. (Which decrease hypervigilance (fight or flight response)
As you know I’ve been through hundreds of medications and now a dozen supplements so I’m quite good at assessing any new changes or effects and am quite imune to perceived placebo confusion that a lot get.
I’ve been taking 400mg Swanson PSerine in morning.
I’ve heard it can take a few months to calm the adrenal glands down. But so far so good
The valarian root although initially good turned on itself to produce more anxiety. This has been the experience on all gaba increasing meds as well I.e Gabapentin and pregabalin. (The phenelzine (MAOI )I’m still unsure of but have put it on the shelf for now)
I think my issue is hypervigilance anxiety/stress more than anything.
I’ve got the Tianaptine ready to try in future.
Can you tell me if you’ve tried 5HTP
And or L Theanine or the med Strattera (used for ADHD)
I’ve read that theanine works similar to strattera in increasing norepinephrine.
I’ve only had one med that really increase specifically norepherine called Reboxetine but although very chilled and calming effect I had to stop it due to an unusual side affect as it actually completely stopped the blood going to my testise which was quite scary as I got a shock
Thankyou for all your help
Greg Mor

Hip

Theanine I found only had very weak anti-anxiety effects. With 5-HTP I did not notice much. StratteraI only took for 1 week, it made me more talkative I think.

Thankyou for your reply
I have had a result so far with the PSerine
My anxiety has come down a notch
The PSerine initially was stimulating but after a few days started to bring down I think the cortisol levels. (Which decrease hypervigilance (fight or flight response)
As you know I’ve been through hundreds of medications and now a dozen supplements so I’m quite good at assessing any new changes or effects and am quite imune to perceived placebo confusion that a lot get.
I’ve been taking 400mg Swanson PSerine in morning.
I’ve heard it can take a few months to calm the adrenal glands down. But so far so good
The valarian root although initially good turned on itself to produce more anxiety. This has been the experience on all gaba increasing meds as well I.e Gabapentin and pregabalin. (The phenelzine (MAOI )I’m still unsure of but have put it on the shelf for now)
I think my issue is hypervigilance anxiety/stress more than anything.
I’ve got the Tianaptine ready to try in future.
I’ve read that theanine works similar to strattera in increasing norepinephrine.
I’ve only had one med that really increase specifically norepherine called Reboxetine but although very chilled and calming effect I had to stop it due to an unusual side affect as it actually completely stopped the blood going to my testise which was quite scary as I got a shock
Thankyou for all your help
Greg Mor
HI Hip,
I found out about a supplement called SERIPHOS
By inter plexus. That’s similar to PSerine but works much.quicker and is stronger and works differently.
It’s ingredients is phosphorylase’s serine
My brother has a life time sleep issue and for him he’s getting benefits
Have you tried these and what’s your opinion
View attachment 47902

HI hip,
I’ve had to go back onto the pregabalin as my hypervigilance has now got so bad I’m unable to sleep as I’m having shaking heat seizures on dropping of to sleep every night.
The effect of a 75mg pregabalin at night completely eliminates this.
It’s changed things completely so now everything’s fine like a different reality.
They do do some major changes but they also wear off quick if taken in morning so I can end up more stressed later in day.
But these seem to be on right track
I tried mirtazapine first for sleep which did make me more tired but as I’m so on edge these still didn’t help stop the tension fits.
After several of these mini fits the energy in head seems to get released then I can get to sleep.
Any ideas what’s going on here
I’m really thinking now diazapams or zopiclones might be better than the pregabalin which is an anti convolsant. I may be getting these fits due to the long term use (and then stopping their use) of pregabalin in past.
Thanks
Greg M

Mary

Moderator Resource
HI Hip,
I found out about a supplement called SERIPHOS
By inter plexus. That’s similar to PSerine but works much.quicker and is stronger and works differently.
It’s ingredients is phosphorylase’s serine
My brother has a life time sleep issue and for him he’s getting benefits
Have you tried these and what’s your opinion
View attachment 47902
I've used Seriphos off and on for many years. It's very effective in helping to normalize cortisol levels and at one time my nighttime cortisol levels were quite high, causing severe insomnia. Seriphos, taken paradoxically enough in the morning, helped lower my night time levels. It worked quite quickly, within a few days. I had to experiment to get the right dose. It is more effective for this than phosphatidyl serine. Seriphos is phosphorylated serine (note the spelling difference!)

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Hip - Apologies if this has already been answered in this very long thread but I can't go through it all - have you had any reports about your anti-anxiety supps helping with sleep? I'm going to try your 3 main ones - the NAG, turmeric and flaxseed oil. I don't think I have generalized anxiety, but my sleep lately for unknown reasons is getting worse and worse and my usual stuff is not doing much at all.

Also, how do you take your teaspoon of turmeric twice a day? Do you mix it with something or just swallow it? Thanks!

Hip

@Hip - Apologies if this has already been answered in this very long thread but I can't go through it all - have you had any reports about your anti-anxiety supps helping with sleep?

I can't remember any such reports, but it might be worth a try, to see if it might help insomnia.

NAG is by far the most potent anti-anxiety supplement in my set, so this is the key treatment. It takes about 1 or 2 hours to kick in, so you may want to take it 2 hours before bedtime.

I am used to swallowing unpleasant-tasting herbs by the spoonful, and this is what I do with turmeric: I just place slightly less than a level teaspoon (about 2 grams) of turmeric powder in my mouth, drink some water, swish the water around my mouth, and then swallow. Though turmeric does not taste too bad.

Last edited: