• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Johnmac

I found B12 really effectual for numerous things, but remethylating didn't do a lot for anxiety (the universal curse of modernity).

I knocked over 90% of my anxiety by:
  • Increasing zinc to 150mg per day (in 3 doses). (You may need to add copper after a while if you do this.) This removed the anxiety's 'jittery' edge.
  • EMDR on any traumas that are hanging around, recent & old - that cleans up the psychological anxiety triggers: the PTSD aspect.
  • The rotation, low-lectin diet. (Peel & pressure cook root veg. Only organic veg & grass fed meat. Eat the same species only every 4 days.) I also ate low-oxalate & low-histamine at first, as both were causing anxiety.
  • Eating every morning first thing—not waiting till lunchtime (as I was doing). A big change from this one.
I basically designed a very simple eating plan involving eating much the same meal 3x/day (you could get more creative, but I couldn't be bothered). The next day the species would be totally different...

This approach initially lowered anxiety, but after a week or so it also began adding happiness--which replaced the anxiety. Most other indicators improved as well: cognition, energy, sleep, eyesight...

I'm not suggesting everyone should do this, or that it's The Answer--just adding my 2c by saying what worked for me.

Rufous McKinney

EMDR on any traumas that are hanging around

what is EMDR?

The eating first thing is good: when you have insulin resistence issues- insulin is very involved in anxiety cycles in my case...eating protein early in the day helps..

Eating alot of roasted root vegetables helped me alot with IBS-d symptoms- reduces wind.

More happiness- that sounds outstanding!!

what is EMDR?

The eating first thing is good: when you have insulin resistence issues- insulin is very involved in anxiety cycles in my case...eating protein early in the day helps..

Eating alot of roasted root vegetables helped me alot with IBS-d symptoms- reduces wind.

More happiness- that sounds outstanding!!

Therapy to target traumatic events and desentisize to them. Is a type of exposure therapy on the hipnotic side. If something really torments you. EMDR can help you accept and move on from it.

Rufous McKinney

Therapy to target traumatic events and desentisize to them. Is a type of exposure therapy on the hipnotic side. If something really torments you. EMDR can help you accept and move on from it.

Ah , yes I've heard of that...there is something helpful going on with that technique and its used here locally by our town psychiatrist.

I have done a bit of that- its part of the Emotional Freedom Technique- tapping.

so the eyes going left and right- this- does some type of short circuting- along with tapping various points etc.

Unless you roll up your sleeves and enter the play pen- one might miss out on some benefits from some of these tricks.

EFT- instead of ignoring or pretending- there is no issue or problem- you directly confront- that there is an issue or problem but you totally and completely accept yourself and the situation.

I can stop bladder spasms- while stuck in a car in San Francisco- trying to get to the other side. You get really uptight- its just so intense going thru massive urban areas and terrifying freeways. So it works at times for- Emergency Stress Reductions. Tap Tap. Repeat chants.

@Hip are you still taking the NAG/chitosan?

I recently took it as a prebiotic gut experiment and noticed pretty phenomenal mental benefits so much that I felt pretty much 100% normal. I started to take it more frequently and would like to make it regular, however it seems like it might have a negative effect on some gut microbes (mainly lactobacillus of concern to me) and intestinal permeability?

The effect of chitosan and other polycations on tight junction permeability in the human intestinal Caco-2 cell line(1)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002364381530133X

These results indicate that oral ingestion of chitosan may have more widespread health effects by altering intestinal barrier function, thus allowing the entrance into the circulation of potentially toxic and/or allergenic substances.

I found that quote and the overall studies fairly crushing overall, how can something that feels so good have a side effect such as that...Perhaps I'm being over-dramatic. Thoughts?

Low Dosage of Chitosan Supplementation Improves Intestinal Permeability and Impairs Barrier Function in Mice
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2016/4847296/

Hip

I recently took it as a prebiotic gut experiment and noticed pretty phenomenal mental benefits so much that I felt pretty much 100% normal.

That's good to hear.

I am still taking N-acetyl glucosamine daily. It's not quite the same as chitosan, so I am not sure if the studies you linked to apply to NAG.

Generally, NAG is considered beneficial for the gut. That was actually the reason I first tried it, to see if it might improve my IBS. I did not notice any gut benefits, but noticed NAG powerfully reduced my anxiety, which I am guessing may be due to its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and possibly have an anti-inflammatory effect in the brain.

Most supplements and drugs have their advantages and disadvantages. NAG reduces the Th17 immune response, which is beneficial in the context of autoimmunity, neuroinflammation, and in the context of coxsackievirus B infections.

But NAG also reduces the Th1 antiviral immune response, which is considered desirable in ME/CFS. Whether it reduces it by an amount which would be significant, I do not know. So there are always pluses and minuses.

That's good to hear.

I am still taking N-acetyl glucosamine daily. It's not quite the same as chitosan, so I am not sure if the studies you linked to apply to NAG.

Yes, you're totally correct. I've been reading to understand further and it seems like the difference is NAG is one of the components of the polysacharide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan said:
Chitosan /ˈkaɪtəsæn/ is a linear polysaccharide composed of randomly distributed β-(1→4)-linked D-glucosamine (deacetylated unit) and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (acetylated unit).

The degree of deacetylation (%DD) can be determined by NMR spectroscopy, and the %DD in commercial chitosans ranges from 60 to 100%.

Rvanson

I am the 1 of 5 and/or 20 percent who cannot be hypnotized unfortunately, so EMDR didn't work for me. It's always been Eyes Wide Open for me.

Was searching the web for info on cetirizine (Zyrtec) and anxiety/agitation. Was taking it as part of a protocol to lessen potential reactions to the Pfizer vaccine.

Anyhow, just wanted to add my note that it gave me high anxiety and agitation/aggression. These negative effects went away within 24-36 hours after stopping Zyrtec. There are some limited anecdotes of similar reactions found via web search.

Had no impact on ME symptoms.

Thomas

Was searching the web for info on cetirizine (Zyrtec) and anxiety/agitation. Was taking it as part of a protocol to lessen potential reactions to the Pfizer vaccine.

Anyhow, just wanted to add my note that it gave me high anxiety and agitation/aggression. These negative effects went away within 24-36 hours after stopping Zyrtec. There are some limited anecdotes of similar reactions found via web search.

Had no impact on ME symptoms.
I think the exact same thing happened to me but only realized it when I ran out of it and didn’t bother going to buy any more. It feels better without it so I’m stopping it.

vision blue

Do you know if NAG is tolerated by those who are amine (aged food) intolerant? Id like to twke it for the alleged anti-brain hyperexcitability. But its a fermented product basically, like other amines (even tbo can be manufactured with shellfish skeletons, same thing results from fermentation)

Interesting on zyrtec. Been on my list to try at recommndation of allergist who i consult about my probable mast cell issue She too suggests it for covid vax prep as well as to allergic rreactions to chemicals. Have t yet because had bad reaction to other H1 blockers that in the astbi toketated well. So where as befire meclazine made me sleepy, the last time wited up my sympathetic bervous system so much led to an ER visot.

Guwop2

Is anyone taking NAG whose M.E is triggered/made worse by sugar? The Glucose ingredient concerns me because ive managed to largely avoid severe M.E by restricting my diet to foods that are under 10g per 100g carb content - because of the sugar conversion..actual sugar (i.e fruit, sweets, and even carrots) I avoid like plague.

Hi @Hip
After reading this article of 2012
It got my attention because you mentioned amisulpride (solian)
I had found it seemed to really help anxiety and mood on a low dose
I was originally put on 200mg but it made me hyper and prolactin issues
I ended up going onto Clozapine (so I could do my engineering course) able to think as has no cognative impairment.
But discovered that it worked much better with amisulpride added but a low dose of about 1/3 of a 50mg pill about 16.5mg which, like you described had an anti-worry and anti-anxiety affect, very marked.
I have very bad anxiety issues and my psychiatrist says the schizophrenia symptoms I get is caused by the anxiety/Wired like stress (he even said I didn’t have schizophrenia as I have never got voices but more like extreme Anhedonia. )
I also have constant tiredness like CFS
On this basis I have tried your other recommendation of the NAG
This had a remarkable affect which had an experience I’ve got from no other medication in reducing my anxiety by a motivation effect.
But I only need half a Jarrow NAG (700mg) but like you said it works on an empty stomach best in morning. If I have a full pill I get over stimulated.
I’m trying the flaxseed oil now with meal in evening but can’t assess if this is doing much at moment.
I’ve done a lot of Reseach into the causes of my illness which is anxiety/schizophrenia symptoms or phychosis.
I know both types of medication work
Antipsychotics and anxiolytics
Gaba meds (Gabapentin/pregabalin),diazepams
And some antidepressants like mirtazapine and phenelzine(Nardil)
Taking any of the above means I only need half the amount of antipsychotics to work.
The antidepressant are a problem as I’m sensitive to seratonin (Make me high and manic)
The gaba med are a problem as they lower my seizure level so have had to come off them at moment.
My theory of the issue I’ve got is overstimulation of the NMDA receptors and this may be due to
what you said in your other article ‘non standard antianxity treatments’
“The NMDA receptors are overstimulated probably because of the chronic microglial activation that is found in brain inflammation (microglia form part of the brain's immune system). Glutamate and quinolinic acid are produced as a by-product of microglial operation; glutamate will strongly activate the NMDA “receptors, leading to biochemically-created anxiety
New schizophrenia medications are being designed on a glutimate theory of schizophrenia
It’s now known over dopamine activity that was thought to be the cause is wrong. Though dopamine blocking medications did help its thought this was a side affect of the action of these medications.
Quetiapine is an interesting medication as it’s used for all mental illnesses (bipolar mood stabiliser,schizophrenia, anxiety, depression)
Reseach has found it only stays on the dopamine receptor for seconds so it’s not that that’s making it work. It did work when I tried it perfectly with non of the side affects I have got with others (that block dopamine)but unfortunately I was unable to sleep and had bad stomoch reaction so had to abort its use after a week.
My issue if I stop these medications is
1/ get extreme anxiety and wired and hyper vigilant which after 3 days I become exhausted and become ill.
2/ I become rapidly Anhedonic (not able to experience any pleasure)
3/ no interest in food or drink like tea or alcohol
(Part of the Anhedonia) no pleasure can be obtained from anything like favorite foods or drinks or alcohol ( with medication I’m verging on alcoholism so don’t drink anyway)
4/ can’t sleep and have complete sexual disfunction (anhedonia)
5/ become psychotic but not visually or audiary but become mentally confused and thought become paranoid and disordered. Like massive overstimulation (I thought it was over dopamine production)
I believe the problem is caused by the anxiety at its source and I think the anxiety is caused by like what you’ve said “Brain inflammation”and NMDA over stimulation or ‘microglial activation’ but I don’t know what this is yet.
I’ve also had ME/CFS symptoms and had Alice in wonder syndrome as a kid where I was hospitalised for a month (precursor of schizophrenia) this seemed to be caused via a virus
I wouldn’t be suprised if it’s all been caused by an EBV virus like with ME and CFS
If you can give me any other information on your anxiety solutions I would be very grateful and also any information on what you thinks causing it all like the microglial operation?
I’ve suffered for many years now and your NAG idea has made a major difference and is a totally new concept behind what the problem is.
I’ve come to the end of conventional medications having gone through the book BMF A to Z
I’ve not been able to work properly for 20 years due to the side affects of these antipsychotics due to tiredness and lack of motivation etc
I should also mention the origional issue of the schizophrenia was triggered by LSD trip in my 20’s but apart from the brain issue I had all the other type symptoms like anxiety etc before this
Thanks
Gregory Morley

Last edited by a moderator:

Hip

I’ve suffered for many years now and your NAG idea has made a major difference and is a totally new concept behind what the problem is.

I am pleased to hear that you experienced major anti-anxiety benefits from NAG. I still use NAG today as my key anti-anxiety supplement.

I also sometimes suffer from what I believe is mild psychosis-like symptoms. By complete accident, I found one very effective drug for my mild psychosis, which is the diuretic amiloride, at a dose of 5 mg. Within 2 hours this will noticeable reduce or eliminate the mild psychosis symptoms.

Amiloride often comes in a pill with amiloride 5 mg and hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg, and this is what I take. I buy these pills at the usual prescription-free overseas pharmacies. The only side effect I get is that it makes you go to the toilet more, because amiloride is a diuretic.

For years I was clueless as to why amiloride might help my mild psychosis symptoms; I could not figure out the mechanism. But then I learnt that amiloride has effects on the adenosine receptors, and one theory of schizophrenia is based on these adenosine receptors (amiloride is an allosteric inhibitor of antagonist binding on the A1, A2 and A3 adenosine receptors).

I mention amiloride at the bottom of this post, which details the various things that reduce my psychosis symptoms. Other effective substances I find for my mild psychosis are: phosphatidylserine 50 mg to 200 mg, high dose vitamin C 3 grams (needs to be taken 3 times daily to maintain effect), N-acetyl glucosamine and niacinamide 1000 mg.

If you can give me any other information on your anxiety solutions I would be very grateful and also any information on what you thinks causing it all like the microglial operation?

Microglia are the main part of the resident immune system in the brain, and when there is brain inflammation, microglia get activated. Unfortunately when microglia become activated, they pump out lots of glutamate as a by-product of their activation. This flood of glutamate in the brain then over-activates the NMDA receptors, and I think this can cause mental symptoms such as anxiety, and probably other mental symptoms too.

The exact mental symptoms may depend on which part of the brain is in an inflammatory state. The amygdala is one of the key areas linked to anxiety, and I think maybe when there is inflammation and microglial activation in the amygdala, this is when one experiences generalized anxiety disorder.

More and more mental health conditions are being linked to brain inflammation (major depression, OCD, schizophrenia, bipolar and anxiety have all been linked to neuroinflammation).

As for why the brain is inflamed, well, inflammation is simply the immune system in an active state. The active state could be caused by a number of things, but an infection is the most common cause of inflammation. So it could be that in many mental health conditions, there is a viral or bacterial infection in the brain, existing at low levels, but triggering chronic inflammation that leads to mental symptoms.

But we also now know that brain inflammation can be triggered (or worsened) by infection or bacterial dysbiosis in the gut. When the vagus nerve senses infection or inflammation in the gut, it signals this information to the brain, and then the brain in turn will then ramp up its own internal inflammation. So by reducing gut inflammation you can in turn reduce brain inflammation.

I found prebiotics (as well as probiotics) significantly reduced my anxiety levels, and I believe this is because they reduce gut inflammation. Prebiotics are foods that feed the good bacteria in the gut, but starve the bad bacteria which cause inflammation. See this thread.

Regarding your anxiety symptoms: I find it important to distinguish between glutamate-driven anxiety, and a similar mental which is overstimulation/agitation. These two mental states can feel quite similar, but I think they have different causes.

The anxiety I treat using supplements like NAG, turmeric, arginine pyroglutamate nasal sprays, etc.

Whereas in my case, the overstimulation/agitation I think is caused by overmethylation, and the usual way to treat overmethylation is with high doses of niacinamide, a form of vitamin B3. So when I get this overstimulation/agitation mental state, it will take 500 to 1500 mg of niacinamide.

For me the key to distinguishing the generalized anxiety disorder state from the overstimulation/agitation mental state is the agitated feeling. If I feel agitated, then I know I have overstimulation due to overmethylation.

Last edited:

Johnmac

Congratulations on being among the few who are fighting these symptoms. It really is not common.

I don't have these problems so much - I'm an aspie. (I've found that histamine takes me in the direction of loopiness, oxalate in the direction of autism, & salicylate in the direction of depersonalisation, & have gradually tweaked a diet to minimise those 3 chemicals.)

I have a family member with some delusions & paranoia (not too florid) - as well as profound amotivation. She declines to look at the problem, let alone do anything about it. I've had hundreds of hours of conversation with her about this. She'll agree with me to shut me up, & will even agree to act - but never does. She just doesn't seem to know there's a problem. Her delusionality appears to be preventing her from seeing she's delusional, & what this has done to her life.

Can you suggest anything I can do to get her to your stage - to see that the problem exists?

Hip

Can you suggest anything I can do to get her to your stage - to see that the problem exists?

If someone has mental health symptoms on the psychosis spectrum, one of the fundamental characteristics of psychosis is that you not only get reduced ability to understand and correctly interpret events in the outside world, but you also lose your ability to understand your own mind through introspection. This is why people with psychosis may not fully appreciate their situation.

With other mental health conditions like depression, anxiety, etc, usually people are aware of the state they are in. But introspective self-awareness is lacking in psychosis.

Add to that her lack of motivation, and I think it is going to be hard to both make her see there is an issue, and then motivate her to do something. It may also be down to personality: some people just do not enjoy self experimentation with treatments.

Hip

I just wondered if there was some tweak I hadn't thought of.

You might suggest to her some supplements which I found had some anti-psychosis effects, especially the N-acetyl glucosamine, phosphatidylserine, high dose vitamin C and niacinamide mentioned above.

But it sounds like she ought to see a psychiatrist, to see if she can be prescribed something helpful.