• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

xrayspex

Hi xrayspex.

When I first accidentally discovered the anti-anxiety effects of NAG, and starting taking around 3 x 700 mg daily, I noticed it would cause some mild depression in me too. So I reduced the dose to 1 x 700 mg, and the depression side effect more or less disappeared, but the anti-anxiety effect still worked.

So you can consider reducing the dose, and seeing if that works for you.

yea I have not tried to do a completely lectin free diet but in retrospect i do seem to do better with less of them on my plate.
I do have a cream I got from UK that has glucosamine and heart chestnut in it that I use on certain joints and have not noticed any depression from that, hopefully its doing something. :)

Has anyone else experienced an increase in anxiety from Arginine Pyroglutamate? I was feeling mildly anxious yesterday and took about a quarter of a teaspoon. Within the next 30 minutes I felt very warm and then lightheaded and moderately to severely anxious. I don't have a method of measuring my blood pressure but my feeling is that the arginine dropped my blood pressure which led to the increased anxiety.

Btw, thanks to @Hip for the original incredible post in this thread. I have been using Turmeric and Flaxseed oil for a couple of weeks now and I think they have helped my anxiety without the blood pressure problems I found with the arginine.

starlily88

Has anyone else experienced an increase in anxiety from Arginine Pyroglutamate? I was feeling mildly anxious yesterday and took about a quarter of a teaspoon. Within the next 30 minutes I felt very warm and then lightheaded and moderately to severely anxious. I don't have a method of measuring my blood pressure but my feeling is that the arginine dropped my blood pressure which led to the increased anxiety.

Btw, thanks to @Hip for the original incredible post in this thread. I have been using Turmeric and Flaxseed oil for a couple of weeks now and I think they have helped my anxiety without the blood pressure problems I found with the arginine.

What kind of Tumeric did you buy? Do you use Flaxseed oil capsules or use the oil on food? Thanks

What kind of Tumeric did you buy? Do you use Flaxseed oil capsules or use the oil on food? Thanks
I started by just taking a teaspoon of turmeric that we had in our pantry. The problem with that is that it does stain your teeth if you're not careful so I was brushing my teeth after each dose which was kind of a pain. After I took it for a couple of weeks and thought it was helping I ordered some turmeric pills. Down here in Australia there are a number of companies distributing Indian organic turmeric in capsules. This is the one I ordered from:

https://organicturmeric.com.au/

We also had some flaxseed oil in our fridge. It's another local brand down here:

https://www.stoneycreekoil.com.au/

I don't much like the taste of flaxseed oil so I'll probably switch to pills once I've finished this oil.

I imagine you can find much the same sort of products easily in the US.

xrayspex

could the arginine raise potential viral titers you might have? and make you feel worse all around including mental health....

Hi @Hip

Thank you for your post. I have been taking turmeric and flaxseed oil for a month now and have seen tremendous & miraculous reduction in brain fog, fatigue and body aches, which I had for more then a decade. I am planning to continue using these for long term. I had a few questions-

1.Since you have been using these for a long time, did you notice any sideffects of using these 2 continuously everyday ( I assume you are still having them , so would be more then 7 years now)

2 I am a male and I was worried about Flaxseed oil causing prostrate or other problems( it being estrogenic). Also, in your experience 2 grams of turmeric everyday is safe for long term consumption?

Thanks again for your post !

Hip

I have been taking turmeric and flaxseed oil for a month now and have seen tremendous & miraculous reduction in brain fog, fatigue and body aches, which I had for more then a decade.

Very interesting, I've not seen than reported before on this thread, but glad you've seen such benefits.

1.Since you have been using these for a long time, did you notice any sideffects of using these 2 continuously everyday ( I assume you are still having them , so would be more then 7 years now)

No side effects at all. Turmeric is regularly used in high quantities in Asian food, and I think has several benefits, like being protective for the brain.

It says here that unlike flaxseed, flaxseed oil doesn't contain phytoestrogens.

@Hip Thanks for your reply. I am from India and we do have lot of turmeric in cooking etc. But I think the high heat in cooking destroys most of its medicinal properties. Taking it raw is what does the trick.

I havent used NAG yet, I do have severe anxiety. I actually started using FO and turmeric for my anxiety, but found them to have unexpected effects on brain fog, body aches and fatigue. They have some effect on anxiety, but not a lot. But getting rid of other symptoms is huge. Thanks again for your experimentation and advice, it has made my life better.

@Hip I have been having turmeric and FO with success for my brain fog and body aches. I wanted to try NAG for my anxiety, and i was wondering if N-Acetyl-D-Glucosamine is same as N-Acetyl-Glucosamine? I was looking at buying this one, but it has an additional D in it. Please let me know if this is the same as the one you recommend. Thanks

Biarritz13

Hello,

I did try this NAG + Curcumin and flaxseed oil but it seems it increased my anxiety to a great extend.

Fortunately I found a relief with the carnivore diet, which matches the hundreds of commentaries on different carnivore Facebook groups : less anxiety or non existant, mental clarity and so on...

What can help for general anedonia? including sexual

Too broad, it depends on the cause. There's no one fixed supplement or set of supplements that work for one particular symptom (e.g. the aforementioned supplements in the beginning of this thread do ZERO for my anxiety, but work great for the OP.)

So first I suggest you do everything you can to find out if your anhedonia is rooted psychologically/physiologically i.e. try to identify the route cause and then work back from there.

Having said that, for me personally, I have found N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine to have intermittent benefit from me (I suffer from very persistent apathy/anhedonia and brain fog which I believe to be due to H2S Sibo.) Using N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine will sometimes give me a sense of wellbeing/pleasure/motivation, but usually it only works when I've abstained from it for a reasonable period of time (the first time I ever used it the effects were super pronounced and I was able to create a good effect for a reasonable period of time.)

Your best bet may be to look at supplements that influence dopamine, that's generally consider to be the neurotransmitter that handles pleasure/motivation/reward and so anhedonia may suggest an issue with dopamine somewhere along the line (however that's a total over simplification of a completely complex system.)

Be sure to do plenty of research prior to messing with anything that field too. Amino acids tend to be harmless e.g. Tyrosine (because you've got rate limiting factors that prevent overproduction etc), but certain supplements e.g. Mucuna/Velvet Bean are regarded as being effective but potentially carrying much more risk with prolonged use.

Good luck!

Hip

the aforementioned supplements in the beginning of this thread do ZERO for my anxiety, but work great for the OP

The anti-anxiety supplements work very well for about 50% of people who try them, judging by the reports in this thread; but for the other 50% they do not work at all. I suspect that they work only in cases where the anxiety is caused by chronic brain inflammation.

I have taken Jarrow NAG 700mg caps twice daily + 1tb spoon flaxseed oil twice daily + 1G caps turmeric twice daily for a week now... No change in my anxiety, ADHD and OCD symptoms.

Hip

I have taken Jarrow NAG 700mg caps twice daily + 1tb spoon flaxseed oil twice daily + 1G caps turmeric twice daily for a week now... No change in my anxiety, ADHD and OCD symptoms.

I would guess your anxiety is probably not underpinned by brain inflammation then, as I suspect NAG and the other supplements work by reducing brain inflammation, which in turn should reduce glutamate in the brain.

Kava kava is an interesting anti-anxiety treatment to look at, which targets GABA receptors. It's banned in Europe, but available in the US.

Hip

Thank you. I'll take a look.

You might also find some of the other anti-anxiety supplements listed in the second post of this thread of interest.

The high-dose transdermal magnesium might be worth looking at. I read that a calming combination used in autism is magnesium + vitamin B6, and I've found this combo effective, when I used high-dose transdermal magnesium plus 100 mg of B6. Such high doses of magnesium inhibit the NMDA receptor.

I take 3g of magnesium citrate daily. I'll look into vitamin B6, to give it a whirl. I've noticed I've been less tired over the past few days. Don't know if this is related to NAG/turmeric/flaxseed oil or not. Will see.
Thank you.