• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A report about anti-glycation supps Carnosine Beta-Alanine (=methylation?)

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
Just stumbled across this - I am surprised what glycation can do:

https://paleoleap.com/paleo-bones-joints/
In this study, for example, women with Type 2 diabetes had higher bone mineral density at the neck, but “weaker skeletal geometry:” in real-life situations, their bones didn’t hold up as well to stress.
Some studies have suggested that this effect might be caused by advanced glycation end-products

NotThisGuy

I have sick building, lead and mercury environmental exposure + 5 amalgam dental fillings.

As I posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago, at some point I felt my amalgams were actively leaching, and so did my husband in the same days I did (he took 1 dose of B-Alanine).

The hair test I had back in 2013 showed Aluminum in the high red, and a few others in the low green.

Thats horrible.
Your amalgam fillings explain why you never tried ALA.
There is a guy in the yahoo chelation group with high aluminum, it went down the further he progressed mercury chelation.

BTW: here is what cutler is saying about carnosine and chelation:

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/120163.html

In short: he thinks it's not a chelator.

But who knows....

Gondwanaland

There is a guy in the yahoo chelation group with high aluminum, it went down the further he progressed mercury chelation.
Aluminum is easy to get dow with malic acid and/or silica. I have eliminated all aluminum sources in my kitchen long ago - the last one was the moka coffee pot which has been replaced by a glass French press a couple of years ago.

In short: he thinks it's not a chelator.
It might not be, but it activates an inner chelation system probably by skyrocketing glutathione, raising thyroid metabolism, making anti-oxidant mechanisms more available, and above all stopping glycation which is vastly underestimated in the non-diabetic population.

Asklipia

Still improving on carcinine and thiamine.
Interestingly, the only place where I found carcinine for sale outside of Brazil, supersmart.eu, sell an antiglycation formula which associates:
L-carnosine 1000 mg
Benfotiamine 120 mg
Aminoguanidine 100 mg
L-histidine 88 mg
Sodium R-lipoate 80 mg
Guava leaf extract 4:1 80 mg
Yerba mate leaf extract 4:1 60 mg
Pyridoxamine 60 mg
Banaba leaf extract (1% corosolic acid) 10 mg
Other ingredients : Microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide

So it seems thiamine and carcinine are complementing each other.

Gondwanaland

Guava leaf extract 4:1 80 mg
This must explain my crazy cravings for guava fruit, I was in luck they were in season during my experiment...
So it seems thiamine and carcinine are complementing each other.
I think that just like Alpha Lipoic Acid, the way carcinine/carnosine works is by activating B1 o_O ( @Lolinda )
If you look up the supplement Lipothiamine, you will see that it contains ALA

The formula you posted contains carnosine, if it were carcinine a much lower amount would do the job...

Asklipia

I was prescribed ALA in 2005. After 3 days of bliss, feeling NORMAL, I crashed abominably. Now if that ALA had used up my last thiamine resources, it would be an explanation.
These days the past is catching up with me. Lots of unexplained events are finding an explanation, even pertaining to my grand-parents. Very strange. Karma lifting away.
Be well!
:hug:

Asklipia

Are you thinking mB12 used up your thiamine?
Could have. I did not take a lot of MB12, after a couple of weeks I crashed slowly :devil::devil::devil:.
I think I understand now why I was Thiamin Deficient. It was a family thing.

I never thought B12 was the solution, because I think if you have more B12 you will need more folate (B9). If you have more folate, you cannot absorb B1.
Catch 22!

Asklipia

Feel free to share some eyebrow-raising bits if you wish :woot:
No eyebrows yet. Just two tufts of very short but hardy hairs growing at the upper base of the nose. I somehow thought they would have filled up from the temples area, but no, they come from the center. How did yours grow back?
Also a handful of extra pubes! :rofl:

Gondwanaland

:lol:
How did yours grow back?
No idea, 2 or 3 days on glycoxil and I looked in the mirror and saw my eybrows were already extended towards the temples again... They haven't reached their full original extension nor their full volume, but it is a notable improvement. I will try to put some pictures together.

Asklipia

No idea, 2 or 3 days on glycoxil and I looked in the mirror and saw my eybrows were already extended towards the temples again... They haven't reached their full original extension nor their full volume, but it is a notable improvement.
Maybe this did not happen to me because I do not take thyroid meds and I think you do.
So my thyroid could still improve and there is further hope for my eyebrows?
I notice that thyroid hormones inhibit thiamin absorption.

Gondwanaland

Maybe this did not happen to me because I do not take thyroid meds and I think you do.
I do, but most of my thyroid hormones are endogenous since my replacement dose is ridiculously low and obviously I don't tolerate higher dosage for various deficiencies. The 1st evident deficiency when I try to up my dose is B2.
So my thyroid could still improve and there is further hope for my eyebrows?
Please let me know what you find out
I notice that thyroid hormones inhibit thiamin absorption.
Yes, this is a well-established fact.
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/265475
December 18, 1943
THIAMINE DEFICIENCY IN HYPERTHYROIDISM
JAMA. 1943;123(16):1049-1050. doi:10.1001/jama.1943.02840510043011

Abstract
Experimental or spontaneous hyperthyroidism increases the rate of cell metabolism and thus leads to a higher requirement of essential factors involved in the breakdown and resynthesis of metabolites. Among these factors the important role of thiamine is well established. The phosphorylated form of thiamine, diphosphothiamine or cocarboxylase, serves as prosthetic group for the enzymes concerned with the oxidation, carboxylation, decarboxylation, dismutation and condensation of pyruvic acid. Pyruvic acid is an obligatory intermediary in the normal pathway of carbohydrate breakdown and probably in the interconversion of protein, fat and carbohydrate. Conditions that lead to increased cellular metabolism and therefore to increased requirements for essential factors tend obviously to produce a relative deficiency of thiamine.
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/549592
August 1943
INFLUENCE OF THIAMINE ON INDUCED HYPERTHYROIDISM
RAY D. WILLIAMS, M.D.; EDWARD C. KENDALL, Ph.D.
Author Affiliations
Arch Intern Med (Chic). 1943;72(2):185-195. doi:10.1001/archinte.1943.00210080041004

Abstract
A study of the effects of thiamine on hypermetabolism induced by administration of desiccated thyroid gland was suggested by several observations. We noted that the administration of desiccated thyroid to depressed psychotic patients was associated with tachycardia, restlessness and apprehension of a degree which necessitated discontinuance of medication. Other patients, however, who previously had been given thiamine hydrochloride, tolerated the administration of desiccated thyroid well. They were less apprehensive and agitated, although the increase in the metabolic rate and in the cardiac rate were as great as in the previous group of patients.

Eastman

Asklipia

B1 works with magnesium, so you want to make sure that you have enough of that.
Freddd says that B1 aggravates potassium deficiency, so you want potassium too.
I forgot to say that I take magnesium as per Lonsdale recommendation as magnesium/potassium aspartate.
Yes I am sure that Folate + B12 deplete Thiamine, 100 % sure from my personal observation.