1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to Titrate to Get Out of Donut Hole Insufficiency

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Freddd, Apr 2, 2013.

1. zzz0r

zzz0r Senior Member

being scared of all the big doses of folate that some people are mentioning in this thread, I would like to ask a question.
    Lets say that someone uses 800mcg of mfolate for start up and then start up indeed happens then when the first set back happends you realise that this person needs to raise the dose of mfolate in order to control the paradoxial defeciency symptoms. However in order to do that he needs to triple the dose and not just go from 800mcg to 1000mcg. Lets say 2400mcg are enough for him to control the symptoms. Is there any person stayed there and that dose was sufficient for him to control the symptoms, or everyone here need to constantly increase their mfolate doses?
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Hizzz0r. this response from Freddd might be helpful. I'm still in the process of raising my folate, more slowly than was necessary. cheers, ahmo

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/b-12-the-hidden-story.142/page-145
    zzz0r likes this.
  3. zzz0r

zzz0r Senior Member

Thanks Ahmo I have read that post but I could not remember it. Thanks for pointing this out! These doses are scarying me still and I hope when someone manage to find the proper dosage that keeps him out of mfolate defeciency whatever that dosage may be, after an appropriate time of healing he will be able to lower the dosage again..... How much folate are you taking now @ahmo , how old are you and much time are you suffering from cfs?
  4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Hi zzz0r. I'm just at 2.3 mg, tomorrow to 2.4 mg. I'm using both Nutricology MTHF, which is a 500 mcg capsule, and Solgar methylfolate, 800 mcg, which I cut into quarters, so I can increase at 200 mcg increments. When I've added 2 of those pieces, ie. 400 mcg, I next switch to an additional Nutricology, so that makes a 100 mcg increase. If you go further back in the thread I linked, I ask Freddd re increasing dosages. I'd been looking all day for the correct way to go about it, so asked about the relationship between B12/folate and their dosages, resulting in the above answer. It's taken me nearly a year to comprehend, and to experience in my body, the way B12 and folate are interacting, the meaning of the shifting symptoms. On another thread I asked for help understanding my recurrent blood blisters in my mouth, a new symptom. Freddd suggested this might be folate, as a presentation of epithelial cells demonstrating deficiency. This finally sunk in, and I committed to raising my dosages, and have been now doing so successfully.

My limited understanding is that for those of us in this poor methylator cohort, we will always need significant doses of all 4 of the Deadlock Quartet supps (MethylB12, AdenoB12, Methylfolate, L-Carnitine Fumarate), as we don't have what it takes to run our methylation cycle otherwise. That doesn't mean we'll need in the 30 mg range, but quite likely several milligrams rather than micrograms.

I'm 64, crashed with ME/CFS June 2003 in the European heat wave. But I had been "chronically fatigued" for some years before that, had suffered a range of inflammatory ailments throughout my life. I now believe folate/B12 deficiency underlies it all. In fact, though I'd noted it a year ago, when I got my 23andme results, my MTRR mutation is directly linked to inadequate methylation, need for B12. cheers, ahmo
    helen1 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.