• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Healing Gut: part 2 medicinal mushrooms

Tonight we will explore medicinal mushrooms in healing gut health.

Something modern society has gotten far away from …. Is remembering the healing qualities of many mushrooms. They are in a category of their own food wise, they are not quite a vegetable and they are quite intelligent! I highly recommend the book ‘the fantastic life of fungi’ or in documentary form by Paul stamets, a renowned mycologist. Also, ‘healing mushrooms’ book is great too. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/heali...BoC2v4QAvD_BwE#idiq=27200199&edition=15005010

I am going to share some gems of digestive and mushroom wealth of health below from mushroom revival and flore.

“What is the Gut Microbiome?

The gut microbiome is your gut's various bacteria, archaea, fungi, and viruses. These microorganisms play an important role in helping your body defend itself against illness, break down food, and maintain energy levels.

Your gut microbiome, or flora, is composed of benign and potentially harmful bacteria. All microorganisms living in your gut are balanced in a symbiotic relationship. An imbalance of healthy and harmful bacteria in the gut can lead to poor gut health and digestive complications….

Why is it Crucial to Maintain a Good Gut Microbiome?

Let's look at some of the benefits you'll gain from maintaining a healthy gut microbiota

Support Cognitive Function

Your gut is connected to your brain by a boundless series of nerves, including the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve is responsible for regulating and controlling digestive functions, your heart rate, and your breathing rate—ensuring synchronicity for your body's systems. It also controls reflex actions like coughing, sneezing, choking, swallowing, and vomiting.

There can be significant emotional shifts with gut inflammation, and impairment of your memory and cognitive function. The gut's nervous system is called the enteric nervous system, which sends signals throughout your body to coordinate your cognitive and digestive functions. If the digestive system is out of alignment, these nervous system communications will be disturbed, leading to a decline in cognitive functioning….

How Can Mushrooms Naturally Support Your Gut Health?

Functional mushrooms are known for their health-promoting benefits, and some provide beneficial compounds for gut health.

Contain Prebiotic Fiber That Can Support Your Digestion

The prebiotic fiber in mushrooms is also known as polysaccharides. It can perform the following functions for your digestive system:

Supports the maintenance of healthy gut bacteria, which is beneficial for your immune system
Supports digestive function for improved bowel movements and nutrient absorption

Incorporating functional mushrooms into your diet can support your immune system, weight management journey, and digestive health.

Contain 1,3 1,6 Beta-Glucans and Other Nutrients That Support Your Immune System

1,3 1,6 Beta-glucans are powerful compounds that can support the body’s natural defense mechanisms. Beta-glucans can positively support your immune system health.”

Now we will explore a handful of mushrooms that are well known at assisting the gut and for that matter, entire human microbiome. Sharing from flore.com.

“1. Lion's Mane Mushrooms
First up on our list of best mushrooms for gut health is Lion's Mane. If you're looking for a way to quell inflammation, Lion's Mane may be your new go-to. Inflammation has been linked to a variety of diseases and conditions, from gut-related conditions like ulcerative colitis to cardiovascular disease and even mental health issues like anxiety and depression.
Lion's Mane contains an abundance of antioxidants and antimicrobial properties to combat inflammation. For example, Lion's Mane has been shown to inhibit the growth of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), a type of bad bacteria that infects your stomach. If left untreated, H. pylori can cause stomach ulcers, and it leaves the door open for unfavorable health conditions like gastritis (stomach inflammation) or duodenitis (small intestine inflammation).
One small study also revealed that eating cookies with Lion's Mane in them helped participants feel less irritable and have less anxiety and feelings of depression.

2. Chaga Mushrooms
If you suffer from a condition like Crohn's or ulcerative colitis then you know that the abdominal pain and cramping can be out of this world. So much so that sometimes all you can do is curl up on the couch and hope for the flare-up to be over ASAP! Go out in public? Forget about it. Unless you're okay taking a chance with keeping your bowels in check.

Fortunately for you, Chaga may be one of the best mushrooms for gut health you can take, especially for providing some relief from IBD symptoms. The amount of antioxidants in Chaga mushrooms is off the charts, which can help you fight inflammation, boost immunity, and keep your digestive tract running smoothly.

3. Reishi Mushrooms
Gut dysbiosis (i.e. an imbalanced gut) can lead to a variety of health issues. Fortunately, Reishi mushrooms are great for rebalancing your gut, improving the diversity of its bacteria, and reducing inflammation. And similar to Lion's Mane, Reishi mushrooms can also help you guard against ulcers brought on by H.pylori bacteria.

Want to know something important (and fascinating) about your stomach? Normally, the gaps or holes in your gut's lining will be few and far between. Sometimes though, you can develop cracks in your gut that allow whatever's in it to come spilling out into the bloodstream, which sparks an inflammatory response in the body.
That whole scenario—when you get larger than normal cracks in your gut—is often referred to as leaky gut and can result in symptoms like:
Bloating
Constipation
Diarrhea
Headaches
Fatigue
Skin issues like acne, eczema, and psoriasis
It might even mean joint pain! That's why addressing and fixing leaky gut is super important. Research shows that Reishi mushrooms work to tighten up the intestinal lining and improve intestinal permeability, which are key to healing leaky gut.
Also, do you suffer from candida overgrowth? Reishi mushrooms may hold the key to keeping that at bay and preventing horrible symptoms like oral thrush, bloating, constipation, or vaginal yeast infections and UTIs.

4. Turkey Tail Mushrooms
Some of the best probiotic strains you can have come from the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium families. They're held in the highest regard in terms of good bacteria for gut health. So getting enough of them can do wonders for not just your gut but overall health.

Research shows that Turkey Tail mushrooms not only play a key role in the population of these two key bacterial types but also reduce the number of bad bacteria in your gut. The high amount of prebiotic polysaccharides, fructooligosaccharides, and beta-glucans in Turkey Tail mushrooms also support a healthy immune system and help feed your beneficial and probiotic microbes.

5. Shiitake Mushrooms
Considering the fact that roughly 70% of our immune system can be found in the gut, anything you can do to bolster the GI tract will be a big plus toward helping you achieve optimal immune health.

Similar to the other mushrooms for gut health on our list, Shiitake mushrooms help to improve your gut's bacterial diversity and promote an environment for healthy bacteria to be at their best. Research demonstrates its anti-inflammatory impact and how it protects immune cells from harmful pathogens.

Wrapping Things Up
Outside of the traditional advice like getting more probiotics and prebiotics in your diet, you may want to consider trying something new with mushrooms for gut health.
Keep in mind some of the more noteworthy ones:

Lion's Mane
Chaga
Reishi
Turkey Tail
Shiitake

They're great for boosting the number of good bacteria in your gut, improving your gut bacteria's diversity, and reducing inflammation. All of those factors enable you to maintain optimal gut health, which carries over into many other aspects of your life!”

I couldn’t do mushrooms for quite a few years. But, I can again. And I’m SO grateful. I do believe they assisted me in 2019 when I was in pretty terrible shape with a level 6 vitamin d. I began craving mushrooms and egg yolks as soon as I could reintroduce them and you know when your body talks to you like that… there’s good stuff in these.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. If you have a local farmers market, grab some shitake, if you are a forager you aren’t reading this bc you already know how great these are! Ha! If you have access to oyster mushrooms, sauté some with some chicken! Or make a simple cream sauce: I use bone broth and unsweetened coconut milk. Amend to your liking.

https://www.culinaryhill.com/homemade-cream-of-mushroom-soup/

Add basmati rice or gluten free pasta and some peas or asparagus ir whatever greens you can do. If you have access to mushroom powders, pick one from the list above and try. I love the brand sun potion (expensive fyi), Paul stamets brand, host defense. I personally take Cordyceps and lions mane. Or here is a website that Stephen buhner recommends for getting some of these mushrooms in bulk:

https://1stchineseherbs.com/

You can also start with a tea if you just want to dip your toes in the water. I start with a mug of hot water, mushroom powder, goji berry (liver support), and some raw honey if I have it. If you want something premade, you can also try a sampler like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Mus...-685sk4MhJl4RDS0uOi0353UuTw4_HoxoC7YcQAvD_BwE

It is best to choose mushrooms other than portabella, some of my faves, sigh. …. I still do eat them. But yeah. Not the best many mycologists remind me. I’m still working on this transition. They contain hydrazines.

What are some of your favorite mushrooms? Or recipes? Or routines with them?

They fascinate me to no avail.
I could read about mycelium networks all the live long day. Fungi are truly beyond any other life firm on earth. Did you know some fungi are now digesting plastics in the ocean? 😊
Reactions: andyguitar

Comments

I love chaga tea and drink couple mugs a day heaped teaspoon in each cup... Is this enough to help my gut do u know? I get ibs type symptoms

I mean I guess it’s dependent on concentration of what you are using etc. but I would think any chaga ( if you can tolerate it) is better than no Chaga 😊

Ps. I’ve not been able to tolerate Chaga since 2016. It’s a higher oxalate mushroom which my kidneys aren’t super happy about. But I believe you shouldn’t go over 2000mg a day of Chaga. Obviously, each should do their own research for any food or supplements they intake.

Last edited:
I got really sick after eating shiitakes.....I think its they are high in glutamate. Or maybe its the oxalates.

Recently I';ve taken some beta gluten that came with a supplement which has been helping me out really alot. So I think I can continue with that and see what happens.

Thanks for this interesting post!

I got really sick after eating shiitakes.....I think its they are high in glutamate. Or maybe its the oxalates.

Recently I';ve taken some beta gluten that came with a supplement which has been helping me out really alot. So I think I can continue with that and see what happens.

Thanks for this interesting post!

Everyone has unique dietary triggers. So frustrating 😞 but glad you found something that’s assisting you!

And thanks for being here 💗

I'm really interested in medicinal mushrooms and have experimented with some, but have discovered that chaga has a bad effect on my sleep, even a little first thing in the morning. It's really overly stimulating for me.

I'm really interested in medicinal mushrooms and have experimented with some, but have discovered that chaga has a bad effect on my sleep, even a little first thing in the morning. It's really overly stimulating for me.

I don’t do well with Chaga either 😞 not sure if it’s high oxalates or what for me. But I have really seen improvements in me with lions mane and Cordyceps.

What time of day do you take Lion's Mane, @sunshine44? Do you notice a calming effect or a stimulating one?

I do well with Host Defense Cordyceps powder, but I can only take a tiny amount since I find it very energizing.

What time of day do you take Lion's Mane, @sunshine44? Do you notice a calming effect or a stimulating one?

I do well with Host Defense Cordyceps powder, but I can only take a tiny amount since I find it very energizing.

I was using sun potion for both but now host defense as it’s more affordable snd still a good product. I was living off of donations for sometimes for my supplements when my husband had no income for 2 years. I’m still looking to get my mushroom expenses down though.

I’m amazingly sensitive and was honestly so concerned about introducing both. I mean warm water used to swell my lips and throat! I’ve come a ways. I just went so slow with each. First started on my skin, then the tiniest amounts later in day when my system is strongest. Then eventually I worked up to 1 tsp of lions mane in warm water around 10 am and then similarly at night. Cordyceps I do at same time except 1/2 tsp.

I have some type of undiagnosed adrenal disease and myelin sheath issues as well as no reflexes from Lyme disease 2017 knees and below…. So I think my body wants me to practically mainline these two 😜 lions mane repairs myelin and neurons which I’ve been in desperate need of. The cognitive improvements on it are stellar, even friends and family commented on changes with me cognitively after I began taking it. I have been surprised and not noticed any stimulating effects. And again, I’m incredibly sensitive. If anything, I feel less agitated than I used to. They have been calming for me. Part of that could be I have had such severe cortisol etc depletion issues. I went very very slow building all of this up though.

These are all good things. I remain with this ‘dis’ ease though and have a ways to go. I look at all of these as helpers and medicinal mushrooms have, in my case, been excellent helpers.

I know each of our bodies are so different though. Sending healing vibes your way on your journey. Be safe experimenting with new foods and supplements everyone ✨

Blog entry information

Author
sunshine44
Read time
7 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from sunshine44

• Medical update
    Vent and purge post***** Trigger warnings Don’t read further if you...
  • Release into the new
    Well…. My body is STRONGLY feeling the pull of this eclipse. No...
  • Eclipse
    “There will be a time, when the dark finds out that it has been serving...
  • Let it go
    Hi everyone, Starting a new blog entry on it because … well I just am...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...