• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yes, there is such a thing as space weather & there is a website for it.

News about NASA's Parker Solar Probe brings to mind that, yes, there is such a thing as space weather & there is a website for it.

Space Weather Prediction Center
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

and the solar probe news which prompted me to post here about that,

Dec. 4, 2019

NASA's Parker Solar Probe Sheds New Light on the Sun

View and download multimedia for the Dec. 4, 2019, media teleconference associated with this story.
In August 2018, NASA's Parker Solar Probe launched to space, soon becoming the closest-ever spacecraft to the Sun. With cutting-edge scientific instruments to measure the environment around the spacecraft, Parker Solar Probe has completed three of 24 planned passes through never-before-explored parts of the Sun's atmosphere, the corona. On Dec. 4, 2019, four new papers in the journal Nature describe what scientists have learned from this unprecedented exploration of our star — and what they look forward to learning next.

These findings reveal new information about the behavior of the material and particles that speed away from the Sun, bringing scientists closer to answering fundamental questions about the physics of our star. In the quest to protect astronauts and technology in space, the information Parker has uncovered about how the Sun constantly ejects material and energy will help scientists re-write the models we use to understand and predict the space weather around our planet and understand the process by which stars are created and evolve.

“This first data from Parker reveals our star, the Sun, in new and surprising ways,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for science at NASA Headquarters in Washington. “Observing the Sun up close rather than from a much greater distance is giving us an unprecedented view into important solar phenomena and how they affect us on Earth, and gives us new insights relevant to the understanding of active stars across galaxies. It’s just the beginning of an incredibly exciting time for heliophysics with Parker at the vanguard of new discoveries.”

Though it may seem placid to us here on Earth, the Sun is anything but quiet. Our star is magnetically active, unleashing powerful bursts of light, deluges of particles moving near the speed of light and billion-ton clouds of magnetized material. All this activity affects our planet, injecting damaging particles into the space where our satellites and astronauts fly, disrupting communications and navigation signals, and even — when intense — triggering power outages. It’s been happening for the Sun's entire 5-billion-year lifetime, and will continue to shape the destinies of Earth and the other planets in our solar system into the future.

(quite a bit more at the page)
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019/nasas-parker-solar-probe-sheds-new-light-on-the-sun/
Reactions: Wolfcub

Comments

Respect to that Parker Solar Probe (and the scientists who designed it ) to be able to withstand the incredible temperatures so close to the Sun.

I always think....we, animals, -all life on Earth is made of exploded stars.

I am fascinated with space exploration.

While the conversation is about space weather, this You Tube channel may be of interest,
https://www.youtube.com/user/SpWxfx/about

I am a space weather physicist. You may recognize me from TV shows I've done for The History Channel and The Weather Channel. I've been featured in Popular Science Magazine, and I am a regular on TWiT TV and TMRO Space News. I want to open your world to a new kind of weather that's becoming important to our daily lives. Think of all the technology we take for granted, like GPS & traffic apps on mobile phones, drones & UAVs that fly above our heads, high-altitude airline flights, satellite internet, satellite phones, Direct TV, even SiriusXM Radio -- all of these things are directly affected by Space Weather. As we become more reliant on smart, wireless technologies, our dependence upon Space Weather grows. Even today, emergency radio communications used by disaster relief agencies like the Red Cross depend on it. I'm working to make credible Space Weather forecasts as common as the weather forecasts you see on the evening news. I would love for you to join me on this journey!

and then about space exploration, both the physical exploration of space & about exploring concepts involving space, and futurism,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g
This channel focuses on exploring concepts in science with an emphasis on futurism and space exploration, along with a healthy dose of science fiction. While we explore many concepts and technologies that are far beyond us now, we try to keep everything inside the bounds of known science or major theories. For a complete list of videos visit the Website: www.IsaacArthur.net

Another bit of spaceflight and space exploration news,
European Space Agency, ESA
502K subscribers
NASA PLUM BROOK STATION
Orion’s first taste of space at Plum Brook Station
•Dec 7, 2019

Interview with ESA’s European Service Module test campaign manager Pierre Boisvert held at NASA’s Plum Brook Station in Ohio, USA. The first Orion spacecraft will fly farther from Earth on the Artemis I mission than any human-rated vehicle has ever flown before – but first it will undergo testing to ensure the spacecraft withstands the extremes of spaceflight. Orion will be subjected to temperatures at Plum Brook ranging from –115°C to 75°C in vacuum for over two months non-stop – the same temperatures it will experience in direct sunlight or in the shadow of Earth or the Moon while flying in space. Behind the interview, Orion is being placed in a cage, called the Thermal Enclosure Structure (TES), that will radiate infrared heat during the tests inside the vacuum chamber. The tests that will be run over the next few months will show that the spacecraft works as planned and adheres to the strictest safety regulations for human spaceflight. The European Service Module has 33 thrusters, 11 km of electrical wiring, four propellant and two pressurisation tanks that all work together to supply propulsion and everything needed to keep astronauts alive far from Earth – there is no room for error.

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests