• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why are B12 supplements making my symptoms so much worse?

CSMLSM

Yes it is.
I need time to recover now. Its already been 2 months and 22 days.
I will recover overtime. As soon as my sleep get better, I will recover.
Now I sleep 6 hours but waking up tired.
So need my sleep to recover and be my old self.
I will make it.
I have found CBD taken sublingually helped my sleep quality and duration consistently. Maybe it could help you get some better sleep. I used Dragonfly CBD it is pharma grade and tested. Consistent and get what you pay for with no illegal stuff by accident above stated minimum unlike so many others.

acrosstheveil

Hi,
I just wondered if anyone knew why B12 greatly worsened my symptoms?

I had an adverse reaction to an antidepressant in January, and since I have been struggling with various symptoms. I had covid in march, which made it all worse and I have struggled with fatigue and bad brain fog, depression and there things since.

I took 1000 mcg cyanocobalamin as prescribed by my doctor for my B12 deficiency (my B12 level is 154). I took it for five days, and noticed a worsening of my symptoms straight away.
I quit two weeks ago, but after I quit, I have continued getting worse. Now my condition is really bad.

I have gotten insane anhedonia and total loss of emotions. I cant feel emotions in my body or mind. I can force myself to cry, but I dont feel it, and there is no release. I am just stuck in either this insane dull mode or depression. Its hell. I cant get out. I cant feel any interest, motivation, pleasure, happiness, joy, sadness, anger. I am just stuck in this strange mode.

At one point it felt like my soul just left my body, and it feel so strange now. My sense of touch is greatly diminished and my body almost feels a little numb. When I take a shower it is like I cant feel the warmth properly and it does not make me feel anything good. It is like my presence left. My feet are constantly cold and feel strange, especially under my feet the sensitivity feels less.

It is so strange this disconnection from my body. When i touch my leg it feels dead and not like my leg. All my senses are off.

My arm fell asleep because i was laying on it too long, but it did not prickle as bad as it used to. It probably did, but the feeling was dull and more distant, like i could not reach it properly. Like it was happening in some other strange arm. I also struggled to understand what the feeling was and i could not recognize it at first.
This happened before as well. I had pain in my stomach. The pain was dull and strange and i Did not understand what it was, but then i thought it was a period cramp!

I have many sensations in my body, but now i cant figure out what they are.

After I took the B12 I also got more nerve pain and burning in mye legs that was not there before. I also got a bout of bad akathisia and I still have bad insomnia. I also have bad fatigue.

I am stuck in a state of restlessness. I cant calm down. My body cant feel comfort or calm. I cant calm myself down because my brain does not react to any stimulus that might be calming. I feel trapped. My body does not get tired either, even though I am in a constant restless state with no escape. I have tried blankets, hot bottles and everything. My body does not react to it and I get no emotions and just stay restless.

My smell is gone, and the few things I can smell makes me feel nothing. It is the same with taste.
Basically all senses are dulled and makes me feel no emotions.

My memory is also really bad. My head is a mush and I cant think clearly. I have trouble accessing my toughts and my memories. Sometimes I actually feel like I have dementia. I have lost ability to visualize images in my head, and imagine touch, smell and tase.
I have this bad pressure at weird places in my head. Mostly the back of my head and the palate and nose.

My sexual function has also decreased, and my orgasms are way more muted.

Has anyone experienced this taking B12 supplements when deficient?

What is the mechanism? I keep getting worse after quitting two weeks ago, I dont understand that.

Can this get better and how long will it take?

I also need the B12 for my deficiency. It is to bad to correct by food. What should I do to prevent this from happening again? Is it better with B-complex? Are there other things I need to think about?
i've had all these symptoms from low quality b12. i think some are produced from black mold (Aspergillus Niger) and aren't purified enough. I get all these symptoms from toxic mold exposure as well. one of the worst offenders was Global Healing's B12. I almost had to go to the emergency room I had such a bad reaction.

CSMLSM

Damn !!! I didn't know that, I thought it was water-soluble like the rest of the B complex family. That makes me feel a lot better about not being able to take any for all those years .... thanks !!!!
In fact if your enterohepatic circulation is working correctly (I believe it is not in ME/CFS and dysfuctional HPA axis) you can recycle the B12 the normal liver has before becoming deficient for about 2 years before becoming deficient in it.
However I would consider adding some to your routine if you do not eat animal products often if you have either of these.

It is the largest most complex vitamin we have to absorb I believe.
1660072135749.png

This is a common experience with some people. I can not tolerate more than 250 mcg B12 per week. And it takes me 2-3 days to recover from a single 250mcg dose. For some people, these start-up symptoms go away after a month or two. Some people have to slowly phase-in the B vitamins in order to just be able to tolerate the start-up symptoms.

Here are some related discussions:

B12: a simple 5-second poll for everyone
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/b12-a-simple-5-second-poll-for-everyone.80150/

What is your understanding of the methylation cycle trap or blockage?
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...the-methylation-cycle-trap-or-blockage.83459/

Hi! Me again!
I just wondered How B12 affects the brain. Does it cause depletion of dopamine? I get bad anhedonia and insomnia and restlessness when i take it.
How does it affect neurotransmitters? Or is there another mechanism for this?

CSMLSM

it's pretty messed up that they produce a lot of stuff from black mold such as citric acid as well.
Early stages of genetic engineering lead to this process of using micro organisms to produce things we need like insulin. It is required as there are so many of us and cost is an issue.

GreenMachineX

For those struggling with taking b12, I was one that had to take folinic acid as well, in addition to 1 cap Seeking Health Multivitamin Sensitive to feel moderately well. By no means am I 100%, as more self experimentation is necessary, but doing well enough that I can enjoy where I'm at.

Unsure where to go from here actually...

linusbert

i tolerate whole b-complex better than single vitamins of it. b6 makes me crazy taken alone. b12 alone makes my main symptoms flare up immediately. but with whole complex both b6 and b12 in it are fine.
i even tolerate vitamin D better when taking b-complex.

b12 requires biotin, folate and b6.

also cyanocobalamin is garbage. use hydroxo, adeno and or methyl.

i always would try some multi mineral and multi vitamins to get everything. vitamin co dependencies are pretty deep cascades. also vitamin therapy is dangerous just poppin in some random pills.

GreenMachineX

For those struggling with taking b12, I was one that had to take folinic acid as well, in addition to 1 cap Seeking Health Multivitamin Sensitive to feel moderately well. By no means am I 100%, as more self experimentation is necessary, but doing well enough that I can enjoy where I'm at.

Unsure where to go from here actually...
Wow, I don't remember this post at all 😆
Don't feel as good as that anymore...

TinaT

Just popping in so you can see my signature link. I have extensive info on methylation supplements and how to handle taking them.

Hello. Where do I find your signature links? I don't see them on my phone. I clicked your name and still didn't see them.

Also, I'm about to receive a B12 injection for the first time. I have responded well to sublingual methyl 1000mcg. But 2000 was hell on earth.

Can you recommend a basic protocol of cofactors that might be a good idea to add? I'm terrified of a result like the OP. I am fairly sure I'm B12 deficient. I've read a bunch including a B12 book (which says history plus symptoms is more important than test results for various reasons). I am vegan, have been taking antacids, and had very low intake of B12 for years and even less the last 1.5 years and almost zero for 6 months. I have been tested and am awaiting results. The other thing is that 1000 mcg was REMARKABLE in the improvements -- which is another thing the book said would be relevant. I'm pretty sure this is my issue to some extent. I'm just nervous bc I'm probably deficient in other things bc of the antacids.

I've read a ton on this site about B12 but it's all just SO complex and confusing. Yet, we need B12.

I would try eating liver but I have reflux as part of my symptoms. I've had that bad for over a year. And red meat is a huge trigger, which causes damage every time it happens. (reflux was GONE for one day, despite never leaving before, with 1000 mcg of methyl).

2000 however -- I really should have considered going to the ER.

TinaT

Oh and the injection will be methyl. I can't control the dose -- it's 1000 mcg

linusbert

Hello. Where do I find your signature links? I don't see them on my phone. I clicked your name and still didn't see them.

Also, I'm about to receive a B12 injection for the first time. I have responded well to sublingual methyl 1000mcg. But 2000 was hell on earth.

Can you recommend a basic protocol of cofactors that might be a good idea to add? I'm terrified of a result like the OP. I am fairly sure I'm B12 deficient. I've read a bunch including a B12 book (which says history plus symptoms is more important than test results for various reasons). I am vegan, have been taking antacids, and had very low intake of B12 for years and even less the last 1.5 years and almost zero for 6 months. I have been tested and am awaiting results. The other thing is that 1000 mcg was REMARKABLE in the improvements -- which is another thing the book said would be relevant. I'm pretty sure this is my issue to some extent. I'm just nervous bc I'm probably deficient in other things bc of the antacids.

I've read a ton on this site about B12 but it's all just SO complex and confusing. Yet, we need B12.

I would try eating liver but I have reflux as part of my symptoms. I've had that bad for over a year. And red meat is a huge trigger, which causes damage every time it happens. (reflux was GONE for one day, despite never leaving before, with 1000 mcg of methyl).

2000 however -- I really should have considered going to the ER.

did you try famotidine (like meds)? i did use proton pump inhibitors never worked out. also my reflux seamed to be dependent on the exact food.
tried ranitidine (whcih is in class of famitidine) and that worked wonders.
famo and rani are h2-type histamin blockers.

therefore i think the root cause for my reflux is histamin foods and liberators as well as allergies to foods.

antacids make you deficient in a LOOOT of things including minerals, trace elements and iron and stuff.

"Can you recommend a basic protocol of cofactors" ->
take everything. low dose multi mineral and vitamins including ADEK.
and then give yourself the b12 injections subcutaneous.

Last edited:

TinaT

did you try famotidine (like meds)? i did use proton pump inhibitors never worked out. also my reflux seamed to be dependent on the exact food.
tried ranitidine (whcih is in class of famitidine) and that worked wonders.
famo and rani are h2-type histamin blockers.

therefore i think the root cause for my reflux is histamin foods and liberators as well as allergies to foods.

antacids make you deficient in a LOOOT of things including minerals, trace elements and iron and stuff.

"Can you recommend a basic protocol of cofactors" ->
take everything. low dose multi mineral and vitamins including ADEK.
and then give yourself the b12 injections subcutaneous.

Hello. I could write a book on reflux. I would be writing all day to explain everything I've learned and tried. I've also consulted the top two reflux experts in the country (one in the world) and read both of their books.

Short version is my meds work. I'm desperately trying to stop the meds and get back to normal. I believe and have read that B12 can cause reflux, gasteropstesis and abdominal distension. Short version is I currently believe that B12 deficiency caused those things as I had no other risk factors and the timing makes sense. There is no way I will ever take PPIs.

I was thinking about a multi vitamin. But I read somewhere in here that we shouldn't take folic acid while taking B12. Don't most multi vitamins have those? I ordered one, for this purpose, and it did. Are there any brands that don't?

Also, I now only take pepsid and a product called reflux gourmet at night, before bedtime. So I'm hoping that I'm absorbing most of what I eat during the day, since I think both have very short half lives.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and feedback.

TinaT

Oh the other thing is that I'm nervous about taking a multi without testing to know what is deficient. But then testing for electrolytes, I mean that changes daily or hourly or whatever.

But I would still consider a multi if I could find one without folic acid.

TinaT

Update. I just purchased a multi vitamin and multi mineral, both brands looked decent. Folate is a combo of methylfolate and calcium L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Niacin is niacinamide.

I'm still nervous about taking either of them, especially today, when I just had the shot. If I'm wide awake tonight, I will not know whether it was the shot or knee of these two vitamins. Plus the multi vitamin has 1000 mcg of B12, which I definitely don't think I can tolerate today.

I'm really, really nervous about tonight. And I'm barely awake bc my reaction last night to 2000 mcg of sublingual methyl B12 yesterday morning was SO bad. Serious muscle spasms all over my body.

TinaT

Another update. I am planning to take Ferrasorb in about an hour (iron with cofactors by Thorne). My is also low. Hopefully / maybe those cofactors will help with the B12 situation. But I only take that every other day.

I am praying to God this isn't more complicated. I already seem to feel better just a little while after the shot. But nighttime reflux is always worse. However, pre-existing tinnitis, which was getting much worse, is lower right now. And usually I have some reflux but nothing now. I've also had TERRIBLE abdominal distension, when my stomach should be flat. That's been getting better every day. And I had constipation partly from the meds. Also getting better every day.

The real problem is SLEEP. I'm praying to ever loving God... That I can find a way.

I've also had PEM developing and getting sick very very frequently. I'm a passionate distance runner so this is just killing me. I am wondering whether I can run. But I just got over another sickness (like number #12 or 15 over a year period. I always have more PEM when recovering (intolerable). That *usually* goes away. Anyway this is another obviously huge issue.

First things first -- I just want to sleep tonight. 😢

linusbert

But I would still consider a multi if I could find one without folic acid.
1678388436026.png

I'm really, really nervous about tonight. And I'm barely awake bc my reaction last night to 2000 mcg of sublingual methyl B12 yesterday morning was SO bad. Serious muscle spasms all over my body.
do not take anything if you do not feel comfortable with it.
its a common mistake to just pop pills to get some relief, never works, always bites back.

First things first -- I just want to sleep tonight. 😢
you are agitated right now.
you can take of the stress of trying and instead try to rest or simulate sleeping. sounds like a joke but gives me at least a bit of rest. even if i had the feeling of not sleeping at all... there are those micro sleep moments we dont remember.

my friend had the same problem, she took active vitamins, got better on other things like energy, but couldnt sleep for 3 days.
she had to stop everything. when she could sleep again she went with the inactive vitamins. works better for her.
so maybe get a break of all those things until you stabilize.

Last edited: