• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tingling hand and feet; worsening by folic acid and B12 supplements

Crux

Copper deficiency is another cause of neuropathy and ataxia. ( unsteady gait )

https://www.ijnpnd.com/article.asp?...10;issue=3;spage=154;epage=156;aulast=Acharya

Copper is a trace element required for various enzymatic activities in the body. Copper deficiency myeloneuropathy (CDM) is an entity which presents with spastic paraparesis, sensory ataxia and peripheral neuropathy resembling subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord seen in vitamin B 12 deficiency.

When I was copper deficient, I couldn't look up without becoming dizzy.

Woof!

@Dr.Lynne ]I just don't get this overall dizziness issue. Had a bad day yesterday with dizziness. Didn't even want to go to have lunch with friends, felt like passing out but during lunch I suddenly felt a lot better.

On other occasions, it is exactly the opposite, foods made everything a lot worse because blood gets drawn to the stomach for digestion. Now it made everything better like it has nothing to do with blood pressure or volume. I often have episodes where I feel that foods can make my overall condition a lot better or worse. However, this effect can hardly be repeated by eating the same food again the next day or so. It's like there has to be a longer break or like some chemistry has to charge up again for this effect to recur.

It sounds like you may have more than one thing going on!

In the first case, low blood sugar could explain both your dizziness and your feeling better after eating.

In the second case, I can relate to the sensation of feeling worse when so much circulation and energy goes into digestion, leaving a lot less for everything else. For years, when I was still trying to do more than my body was going to allow, I warned anyone who went out to a restaurant with me that they were going to have to carry me to the car afterwards. As soon as all my energy shifted to digestion, I was no longer able to support my own weight on my legs - they just collapsed!

The best I can tell you from my own experience:
(1) rule out diabetes
(2) make sure you are getting the recommended amount of calcium every day (my preference is Ca++ citrate)
(3) eat large meals only twice a day for a while (breakfast being one of them, to give you a good start) and get the rest of your calories spread throughout the day in small amounts using whole foods that are good for you (e.g.: avocado, walnuts, green smoothies). Think: quality of ingredient, not quantity, and avoid junk foods (chips, soda, sugary baked goods) that cause your body to use up valuable energy with little nutritional payout. I did for a year or so, and it helped greatly. I can now eat three meals a day like everyone else, but then, I'm not working anymore and I meter my energy more carefully.
(4) rest some more, m'dear. Your body is talking to you.
(5) lastly, continue to keep a food and activity journal in your search for clues. You may find certain things put you over your dizziness threshhold when put together with other threshold-tipping things (even if it looks like they don't do it all by themselves). Make sure you include environmental exposures, too (e.g.: fragrances, smoke, cleaners, dust & dustmites, light, starch-containing products...)

Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Last edited:

Jyoti

@Waverunner -- how is it going with the ALA? I got some and it has been miraculous in terms of symptom suffering. What is your experience?

Waverunner

@Jyoti Thanks for asking, I took 600 mg 3 times a day for two days but I started to feel very sick and nauseous, so I had to stop. I also stopped the B12, folic acid, and all the other B vitamins. The tingling got better today and it only affects my feet every now and then but I'm feeling extremely fatigued. Made an appointment with a new doctor next week. I'd like to get a gastroscopy because I feel nauseous after nearly everything I ingest. I also put myself on a stomach-friendly diet now. Will keep you updated once I know more.

Jyoti

Sorry to hear this @Waverunner. How frustrating to not be able to tolerate something that might help! I am glad that the tingling got a bit better and I hope the new doctor is helpful.

Joopiter76

More than 8 years ago, I started on b12 and folate, and I had the same experience as you have. I had a genetic test done, at it showed decreased ability to use the folate and the b12. (No, it was more complicated than that…but I can’t quite remember..the b12 and the folate detoxed the body, but the body wasn’t able to get rid of the garbage? Something like that.) I don’t remember the details any more. But I found this comment from a very clever guy in nutritional medicine:

“Transulfuration pathway –You need to correct this first before using folate and B12. If you don’t do this first, they will just shunt down through transulfuration and cause more issues. Addressing transulfuration involves the following;
o Boosting glutathione, reducing ammonia, and supporting sulphur metabolism
o I know you are tempted to use B12 and folate, but now is not the time – especially for Methylfolate – you may do ok on small amounts of folinic acid, but only if magnesium stores are ok (which you have trouble absorbing).”

this was for me, based on my problems and my genes. I was kind of poisoning myself with those supplements. And it took, as far as I remember, more or less three months to get rid of the tingling again.

Where is the quote from please? Thanks!

Hufsamor

@Joopiter76
It’s this man.
I had appointments through mail back then.
I believe it’s possible to get online sessions?
He was very clever.
And all the things he pointed out then, have turned out to be absolutely correct. Even if I didn’t get rid of my me/cfs, it helped with other problems, and it made me understand more of what was going on in my body

https://elementalhealthandnutrition.com.au/