• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Sulfur Intolerance is managed with Quercetin. Please help me understand why.

If I eat anything with sulfur in it my finger pip joints swell a little and turn a little red. Chicken effects me the most and eggs come in second. I have no idea why my finger pip joints swell but I believe it may have to do with uric acid or ammonia.

Quercetin allows me to eat as much meat and sulfur as I want and I have no clue why. It seems to have a lot of mechanisms such as improving the methionine cycle, urea cycle, chelating copper and ect. Please if anyone knows why can they help me to figure this out. This seems to be a temporary solution and I would like to really fix my issue.

UPDATE: 8/26/19 - What also seems to work is taking lysine, ornithine and citrulline together.

Last edited:

MTpockets

Quercetin also helps regulate histamine release. A lot of people take it for seasonal allergy relief. Maybe it is helping you that way.

Aerose91

Was going to also say quercetin is a mast cell stabilizer. It's also an antioxidant. Perhaps that's part of the benefit?

UPDATE: 1/22/2020 - Pomegranate also works. There is also the possibility of having dominant sulfur reducing bacteria in my colon and that causes the inflammation that causes the histamine release.

Aerose91

If pomegranate and quercetin both work it could be an antioxidant issue. Buhner recommends both of these for his bartonella protocol

Another possibility- foods high in polyphenols stabalize mast cells
Stabilizing Mast Cells is actually a great thought. I wonder if it has something to do with MCAS. I've tried all types of supplements and strangely only quercetin and pomegranate help with the swelling. They do not help with other symptoms I get when eating sulfur like increased anxiety.

kangaSue

I wonder if it has something to do with MCAS. I've tried all types of supplements and strangely only quercetin and pomegranate help with the swelling.
Have you tried a DAO (diamine oxidase) supplement before?
DAO is an enzyme and nutritional supplement frequently used to treat symptoms of histamine intolerance so can help when you are reacting to food histamines.

DAO is an enzyme and nutritional supplement frequently used to treat symptoms of histamine intolerance so can help when you are reacting to food histamines.
I tried it about five years ago when I wasn't logging my supplements(Now I do). I'm going to assume that it didn't work for me. But you brought back a lot of memories of things I've tried. Only three foods effect me the most and give me the most symptoms the next day. The worst is Unwashed Quinoa, both hands get swollen fingers and I have bad anxiety the next day. The second is chicken which swells both hands fingers but doesn't really give me as much anxiety. Last is eggs which only swell the fingers in one hand and don't give as much anxiety. I did a brief look at Quinoa(A grain) a while back and read that it had sulfur and also saponins that give people issues. The key may be with Quinoa.

The only thing that "may" have helped with the anxiety was TMG and anything that increases choline or acetylcholine. It has a strange effect on me that takes away all my focus so that I can't even drive or watch a tv show. Those effects last as long as I'm taking them and don't help with the swelling from sulfur.

Thanks for your suggestions, they have definitely helped to bring some things to think about.

Now that I think about it, I can always try it again to see if it helps with my runny nose. Thanks again.

Aerose91

The more I see consistent practices helping people here (intermittent fasting, antioxidants, etc) the more I believe MCAS is a big and overlapping issue for all of us. Fixing the gut should help this and it seems to always work for us

The more I see consistent practices helping people here (intermittent fasting, antioxidants, etc) the more I believe MCAS is a big and overlapping issue for all of us. Fixing the gut should help this and it seems to always work for us
I would rate your comment 10/10 if I could.

I agree about the gut needing fixing. I myself have had gut issues since I was a child and am on limited foods due to bloating, gas and upset stomach. I'll shortly be looking into taking single probiotics. Right now I'm testing p5p to see if it helps with my runny nose. It usually takes about six days for me to see effects from supplements. Today is day four.

Aerose91

I would rate your comment 10/10 if I could.

I agree about the gut needing fixing. I myself have had gut issues since I was a child and am on limited foods due to bloating, gas and upset stomach. I'll shortly be looking into taking single probiotics. Right now I'm testing p5p to see if it helps with my runny nose. It usually takes about six days for me to see effects from supplements. Today is day four.
I, too, wonder if I had gut problems since I was a child. I was on antibiotics too much but am curious if I was born with some issues already in place. I always felt like there was something wrong with me in a small way

I, too, wonder if I had gut problems since I was a child. I was on antibiotics too much but am curious if I was born with some issues already in place. I always felt like there was something wrong with me in a small way
hehehe. Welcome to the club.