• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I replace ALL my hormones. This brought me back to life. But is it sustainable for decades?

thingsvarious

I started hydrocortisone (up to 25mg) quite a few years ago now, it has by no means cured me but it got me from being bedbound to being able to be upright! I’m still largely limited by my ME, but I swear the HC is what has helped. I also am on 75mcg thyroxine (couldn’t tolerate pigs hormone as I have a high normal free T3). It was always my FT4 which was low.
I’m now only on 15mg and will be on HC for life because I’ve been on it for so long, I used to worry about being on it long term but I very much had the same mindset as you, I’d rather have limited years being able to feel less deathly than more years on end unable to move from my bed. I also developed osteoporosis from my severe ME as I didn’t develop bone strength during the vital years (I was a teen), I’ve had DEXA scans and my bones haven’t worsened since being on HC.

Can I ask what is the difference between HC and cortisone acetate please? I’m wondering if my HC should actually be 20mg. What doses do you take at what time too as I’ve been taking 15mg in one dose in the morning... (hope you don’t mind all of the qs!).

CA is a prodrug, needs to be activated first either in liver or peripheral tissue -> longer half life and less intense peak and less tissue exposure. 25mg CA = 20mg HC. It is much safer but carries less of a punch and stimulating effect. I dose 30mg/d (=22-25mg HC) split into 5 daily doses. 1. waking ->2. 1h later -> 3. 2h later -> 4. 3h later -> 5. 3h later
Hope that helps

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Pregenolone does nothing other than being a neurosteroid and skyrocketing my progesterone. Improvements in glucocorticoids are slight at best, at least for me.

Does seem individual. For me it improve my low cortisol , progesterone didnt do anything, was expecting it to increase dhea some but didnt. I did find it initially improve mental energy.

thingsvarious

Update, I just got another rounds of bloods. After increasing the ratio of T3 and T4 my SHBG shot up to 45 again

thingsvarious

So is shbg something you are trying to increase or decrease?.
Something I am not too much concerned about. I´d prefer to be it in the middle of the range. It is just interesting to me how heavily it fluctuates if I change any dosage in hormones.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Something I am not too much concerned about. I´d prefer to be it in the middle of the range. It is just interesting to me how heavily it fluctuates if I change any dosage in hormones.

I think its common in guys for shbg to drop when on injectable testosterone, plus if one uses a dht derivitative anabolic it can lower shbg and increase free testosterone. Proviron is commonly used in the TRT world to increase free Testosterone.

Do you find hydrocortisone increases or decreases shbg?

Interesting.
Cheers👍

thingsvarious

I think its common in guys for shbg to drop when on injectable testosterone, plus if one uses a dht derivitative anabolic it can lower shbg and increase free testosterone. Proviron is commonly used in the TRT world to increase free Testosterone.

Do you find hydrocortisone increases or decreases shbg?

Interesting.
Cheers👍
Weirdly, hydrocortisone (I use cortisone acetate) reduced my SHBG from around 50 to 30.

thingsvarious

I guess if it increases the metabolism then theres more demands on other hormones so shbg is reduce so theres more free levels, at a guess🤔
All hormones likely lead to direct changes in the expression of the SHBG gene, although what you say could be an additional factor as well.

amaru7

I can attest to that, HGH is the only thing that gave me serious improvement.

Tried so many supplements, lost so much money, they sound promising on paper but they're good for prevention at best in u experience. (Still taking a few)

Btw, these are not all your hormones by far ;), there are dozens of hormones

In my opinion CFS is often (not always obviously) multiple hormone deficiency (esp. adrenals, perihperal thyroid sensitivity).

I am a medical student in my last year. I replace ALL of my hormones. my energy levels went from the 5th percentile to the 95th percentile.

In early twenties my life was starting to go down the gutter. My life started to fall apart in every domain. I felt like shit. It took me forever to wake up. Freezing all the time. No inner peace. My mind was always racing, nonetheless I was lethargic all day, every day. Everything was drudgery and required a ton of self-discipline. Loads of coffee and painful cold showers were required to get me through life. Each night I was grateful that another day was over. I was just trying to get by. At best.

I started multiple hormone replacement. Whereas before my life was a nightmare, it has been a dream ever since. I have been doing this for some years now.

My question. As I am in my mid twenties, do you think this is sustainable for decades? Will my lifespan increase or decrease because of it?

What I take. But what works for me might not work for others.

I personally need/choose to optimize all hormones but often for many people it is just ONE hormone that is imbalanced/deficient and replacing that is sufficient
Everyone is different, but the target range I aim for is in the upper tertile of the youthful reference range. Just falling somewhere within the reference range is not “optimal”. The reference range covers 95% of the population. Certainly more than 5% of the population have hormones bad enough to warrant intervention.
  • TRT: Test Cyp (50mg subQ 2x/week), HcG (250iu subQ 2x/week), anastrozole (0.25mg 1x/week), dutasteride 0.5mg 1x/week (as my androgens are high I don´t need the DHT).
  • cortisol: cortisone acetate (20mg/d HC equivalent) (split into 4 daily doses)
  • thyroid: 1.25 grains NDT + 6.25mcg T3 (a few hours later in the day)
  • GH: 0.5iu genotropin pfizer (aiming for IGF1 of 250) prebed
  • fludrocortisone 01.mg/d morning
  • melatonin: 0.25mg sublingual prebed
Other stuff I do: keto/paleo, HIIT, weekly rapamycin, a bunch of supplements (all of them together less worth than a slight alteration in hormones), some exercise every day, sleep around 6h (wake up refreshed without alarm -before HRT I needed 8+).

Before hormone replacement I was trying out every nootropic under the sun (modafinil, caffeine, shitty racetams, small doses of MTP, ephedrine). Now I don´t need any (sometimes a little nicotine gum while studying). My cognition is now almost always sharp, no brain fog, great energy, motivated. The combo of good sleep + cardio + keto + good hormones is much healthier and more sustainable than any stims/nootropics. Too bad that so many people focus just on supps and nootropics.

I do everyhing mostly myself because many (not all) endocrinologists are shit. Once I found what works, taking all these hormones takes less than 5min per day and no thought whatsoever. Tiny price for a huge prize.
You can´t outdrug/outbiohack/outlifestyle a bad hormonal profile.

If you are interested I wrote about my experience here.

I also wrote a guide the other day on how I´d go about replacing multiple hormones. It took 1000s of hours to figure out. Hopefully some of you will find value in it.. Here.

Many of you guys will say that I am screwing myself. Well, to them I say that I am aware that this is uncharted territory. I am aware of the risks. But to me the cost-benefit analysis is a no-brainer. If I had to, I would sign a contract to rather live 10 more years with my new vitality and then die instead of living to one hundred with the dreadful state I was in before. Life is about filling time and not passing it.

My goal: to find a great balance between performance/wellbeing and health/longevity.

Why do I post all this?
1) Trying to provide value: Because it does just cost me a little time but perhaps can help others out a lot. Had I known what I know now, it would have saved me lots of money, happiness, effort, researching, experimenting. And suffering
2) Trying to get feedback/criticism/blind spots. I am sure some of you are quite knowledgable and experienced and might give valuable feedback/criticism and point out stuff I didn´t think about. Also as this is rather uncharted territory, do you think this is sustainable for decades? Will my healthspan increase or decrease because of it?

What does this mean for you? Hormones have an INSANE connection to energy levels. Just falling into the normal range is not enoguh. Unfortunately they are VERY neglected. If you have been fatigued for a long time it might be worth looking into your hormones. ANY hormone deficiency (GH/IGF1, sex hormones, thyroid, cortisol) will cause brain fog, subpar cognition, lethargy, anhedonia, low motivation, low mood, fatigue

Again: I personally need/choose to optimize all hormones but often for many people it is just ONE hormone that is imbalanced/deficient and replacing that is sufficient
I've been reading many things of yours recently. This sounds damn sound, I will check out my hormones. Thanks for the contribution.

xks201

But yeah, endocrinology is incredibly complex. Turn one gear and many others are set in motion as well.
I used to replace all my hormones. Then I tested my fludrocortisome and it had no fluoride group. Sure miss the testosterone when it was good.

Ive been on'/ off HCortisone for 8 years, 40+mg to 0, then back on. Safe Uses of HC is a book, (says 35(mg) is a safe long term dose. What is the difference between HC and Cort acetate? I have ''adrenal insufficiency'' or fatigue or whatever, which just took a turn for the worse, IE: Danger Zone. Similar to CF, from West Nile Mosquito most likely.

Avena

I am also curious to hear more about cortisone acetate vs more common cortisones.

Regardig long time use: a Rheumatologist recently mentioned that newer research shows that long time use higher than 5mg Prednisone is more dangerous than earlier assumed. A person I know with rheumo diagnosis has been told to stay as close to 5 mg as possible for a daily dosage, but during symptom flares increase to 40mg and slowly go down again.