• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

I am also asking about how to get powder into a capsule because when traveling using a scale would be difficult and putting the powder into a capsule(s) and jsut taking the capsules would be much more convenient.

Hip, Anyone,
Is grapeseed oil or primrose oil a good substitute for flaxseed oil? Would one take the same amount?

I am also asking about how to get powder into a capsule because when traveling using a scale would be difficult and putting the powder into a capsule(s) and jsut taking the capsules would be much more convenient.
To split my Strattera from 60mg to 10mg I use a tiny measuring spoon that's about the right size. There's special sets of tiny measuring spoons that go quite a bit smaller than standard ones. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dash-Smidgen-Pinch-Measuring-Spoon/dp/B002X9I4RC

Hip

What's the maximum NAG to take (daily)?
NAG appears safe even at doses as high as 2300 mg/kg (around 160 grams daily). Though my guess as that there will not be any additional benefit with high doses. 1500 mg two or three times daily is probably the highest you'd need to go to. I have not taken more than this. I only take 750 mg once daily myself now, as my maintenance dose.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
How do you take the flax seed oil? Just poor it in a spoon and swallow it down; mix it with something?

Hip

How do you take the flax seed oil? Just poor it in a spoon and swallow it down; mix it with something?
I buy flaxseed oil in large liter bottles, as this is cheaper (about £20 for a liter in the UK), and then just pour out 15 ml (= one level tablespoon) and swallow the oil neat. The taste is not great, but it's not that bad either. I just drink some orange juice straight after to wash it down. You could of course buy capsules of flaxseed oil, but that is more expensive. Or it might be possible to mix the flaxseed oil with something, like a smoothie perhaps.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
What's your take on psychotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder or anxiety period?
Like, why take supplements the rest of your life when you could (possibly) get to the source of the anxiety and eliminate it or have it under control permanently? Or, try supplements while trying therapy until the therapy is effective, and then drop the supplements?

I'm not Hip, but my own view is that it depends on the cause of your anxiety. I always used to assume that mine was due to my stressful childhood and lack of emotional support, but I now believe that it was actually largely due to the wrong diet. Cutting out gluten, going low-carb and taking gut-healing supplements has calmed me down, and with no side-effects.

I haven't tried NAG, but my oldest cat has been on it for years for her treatment-resistant cystitis!

Hip

MeSci Yes probably not all causes of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) are the same.

I also have adopted certain dietary habits to improve my gut and digestive health, and in particular, to reduce gut inflammation.

It is possible that the often significant anti-anxiety benefits of N-acetyl-glucosamine may be due in part to a gut-healing effect: N-acetyl-glucosamine is a component of mucin, the protective secreted coating of the intestines, bladder and sinuses. The mucin coating fights infections, so if NAG helps produce more mucin, this may have an anti-inflammatory effect in the gut, urinary tract and sinuses, which will help lower overall inflammation in the body and brain, leading to less anxiety.

Last edited:

sregan

Do you have any suggestions who I can seek out regarding N-Acetyl Glucosamine, its just so miraculous the effect it has on all my symptoms - I dont want to stop taking it but, as you can understand the negative health side effects my bodily system is having to it is concerning

Ryan, my suggestion would be to try to build up slowly (maybe start at 50mg then add 50mg per day) and take as little as possible that has the desired effect for you.

sregan

I have been on the Jarrow brand NAG (750) for two days now and it has made a big difference in my symptoms right away. I have had the same effect that Hip talked about where it has reduced inflammation in my sinuses (I can never find anything that actually does that!) and I have a lot more energy. I think I need to take more than two a day, though. Probably more like 4-6 tabs daily spread throughout. I will see what works over the next week or so. I have lyme disease and I have read NAG is contraindicated for Lyme patients. However, I am somehow dubious of this, because I feel so good on this stuff so far. I will report back if I have symptoms though. I wonder if the Lyme depleted my own supply of NAG and that is why this supplement is helping me? I have no idea...anyway, I just wanted to report about my experience.

Please keep us posted!!! I Took my first yesterday and last night slept very very well. MInd was good during sleep and woke feeling good! We need to find out how to take (titrate) this stuff! Liz for you I would recommend (as I did for someone else) find the minimum dose for this stuff to help you. Give it a couple of days off then start @ 50mg and raise 50mg per day until you find a dose that seems to be helping you then stay there and see how it does for the longer term.

I am researching this now. This is a possibility for why it helps:

From: http://www.dadamo.com/btdisease/PathType-read.pl?show=91

"Type Os who consume a lot of grains in their diet are highly susceptible to autoimmune disease. The lectins exacerbate the tendency for hyper-immunity, which is characteristic of autoimmune diseases.I know of many cases of fibromyalgia that have dramatically improved and been relieved by following the Blood Type Diet. Of the foods known to induce joint inflammation, grains certainly top the list. One researcher says of lectins: "Avoidance of these is frequently the only dietary maneuver required, especially in the early cases." Our most common grains contain lectins, and many of these lectins are specifically attracted to sugars, particularly N-acetyl glucosamine (NAG), that are found abundantly in connective tissue. Wheat germ lectin in particular has an affinity for NAG. My suspicion is that a substantial amount of the improvement is simply the result of wheat avoidance, particularly for Type O."

Sounds like the NAG is binding to the lectins and perhaps getting the lectins out of harms way. May also explain why I have been having issues with what seems like connective tissue. All my NAG may be getting gobbled up by these lectins leaving none for other purposes which could be why supplementing can help?

sregan

Wanted to followup that my second day on NAG was very anxious. Not the same as the first. I'm not sure if I took too much or the NAG might have fed gut bugs like some were saying here.

Anyone, How do you use a capsule machine to get, let's say 175 mg. or whatever the amount you want to take of a substance, a specific amount (that will not be filled simply by filling a certain sized capsule) into the capsules? Thanks.

Also, I'm taking clonazepam, Depakote, and risperdal, as I have been since hospitalized about a year ago. My psychiatrist thinks my anxiety caused psychotic behavior - which is how the risperdal wound up there. He's not sure I need the Depakote. So, I just wanted to mention what I'm taking. Because, I've been trying magnesium citrate powder, mixed in milk usually, (it doesn't dissolve), about 500 mg in the morning and 500 mg at night (one teaspoon is about 500 mg), for anxiety, as I have read and heard that magnesium can help for anxiety, (and it may have helped me in the past for this), but after several weeks I do not feel any calmer or more relaxed.

Sregan, I wish you the best, and I hope Hip or someone else here can provide some helpful guidance for you.

Also, I want to get totally off my medication (mentioned above) but when I've tried that in the past, I've wound up hospitalized (against my will). Does anyone here have any idea as to how to get off of, and stay off of medications, and keeping out of the hospital at the same time?

Another one on this site - incredible. "Phoenix Rising" should be renamed "Closed Minds" or "If you get cured from ME, you ain't never had it". Much more accurate description.

In plain English, what are you saying? I just don't understand what you're saying. I would like to....

What do those spoons measure in terms of milliliters or milligrams?
I think a spoon would measure space, milliliters, not milligrams, if I remember correctly from school.
They don't use a standard measurement. But I know that one pill is 60mg, and one spoonful puts an equal amount in 6 capsules, so that works out to about 10mg of my drug per spoonful.

Hip, since you have had the psychosis with the anxiety, why does your list for anxiety and psychosis not comprise the top supplements you mention in the beginning of this thread? (For example, vitamin c.)

Thanks.