• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Hip

Any ideas what’s going on here

I can't say that I understand what's going on, but have you looked at kava kava? This herb can be very relaxing for the mind, and unlike benzodiazepines and other herbs which work on the GABA system, kava is not tolerance forming. In fact, it actually increases GABA receptor sensitivity over time. Kava is not available in Europe, but you can buy it from the US. This post lists some suppliers.

Also, N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) might be worth looking into, for its ability to treat the "wired" mental state. See this post:

Five ways to reduce your ME/CFS "wired but tired" hyperaroused brain state

Wayne

Thanks @Hip ! I've ordered all 3 :nerd:

Hi @Mary, @Hip

Just to mention, when I took NAG for the first time, it did seem to help with my sleep. What I noticed even more was when I was walking down the steps that first morning after, I immediately noticed I was less stiff than normal. Perhaps what leads to less morning stiffness for me is the same thing that improved my sleep.

I also remember marveling for several days afterwards how much more fluid my walking and moving was, and I didn't really have that as a significant problem to begin with.

Wayne

I just got the following email this morning. Thought I'd post it here in case anybody had an interest in this free online event...

ne387-771f2e47-dfc8-40de-bc80-c323eecdaa4a-v2

Dear Wayne,

Anxiety can cause all kinds of physical symptoms—a racing heart, sweating, shaking, GI issues, dizziness, and fatigue, just to name a few...

And as anxiety sufferers know, these unpleasant symptoms can, in turn, cause more anxiety, keeping us in a never-ending feed forward cycle!

According to research, unfortunately over time, anxiety and its symptoms can also actually increase our risk for other chronic diseases, and greatly diminish our quality of life.

Fortunately, anxiety can be one of the most treatable conditions out there, provided you actually get treatment, but unfortunately only 37% of those suffering actually receive treatment...

For this reason, I was excited to be able to participate in the 2022 Anxiety Super Conference, a FREE online event happening June 20th-26th, featuring 60+ of the world’s most trusted doctors, psychologists, scientists, researchers, and healers, who will be sharing their time-tested methods for identifying and healing from anxiety, regardless of what form it may take in your life.

-->> Go here to register now!

Here are just some of the fascinating topics covered...
  • Brain function and anxiety
  • Chronic Illness
  • Anxiety after illness or injury
  • Hormones, nutrition and supplements
  • Sleep hygiene and rest
  • Exercise, meditation and breathwork
  • Medication-assisted treatment
  • Gut health and the brain
  • Neuroplasticity
  • Stimulants and substance use
  • Treatment methodologies
  • And much, much more!
This event features 70+ hours of amazing content, including bonus resources like bodywork and mindful movement sessions featuring yoga as well as meditation, to help you connect to your body and start feeling better right away.

So if you know or believe that you suffer from anxiety in any capacity, and would love to address it as a means of fostering better health all around, don’t miss this very special transformational event!

-->> Save your FREE seat at the 2022 Anxiety Super Conference right here!

Wayne

@Mary -- I just ran across a technique I discovered many years ago, and had completely forgotten about. I just tried it again, and I'm able to notice a very noticeable calming effect almost immediately. It made me wonder if you or others would find it helpful for anxiety and/or sleep. It's basically touching your thumb with your middle finger on both hands, and then interlocking them as shown below.

1655662766619.png

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks @Wayne ! I think I notice a slight calming when doing that. Interestingly I recently came across acupressure points in the web of skin between the thumb and forefinger which can be very calming when pressed. So it involves the same area of the hand, just a different technique - but I'll add your technique to my regimen!

I can't say that I understand what's going on, but have you looked at kava kava? This herb can be very relaxing for the mind, and unlike benzodiazepines and other herbs which work on the GABA system, kava is not tolerance forming. In fact, it actually increases GABA receptor sensitivity over time. Kava is not available in Europe, but you can buy it from the US. This post lists some suppliers.

Also, N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) might be worth looking into, for its ability to treat the "wired" mental state. See this post:

Yes
Thanks HIP
I’ve got to try the KAVA and NAC at some point
I’m a bit dejected as nothing has been the magic bullet yet.
I’m not very patient as a lot of these supplements might take months to work and I’m looking for a big change in a few days
However the most useful find I’ve had thanks to your posts is the psyllium husk and probiotic jarro-dophilus and also FOS
My bowls are in a massively improved state now.

I got some lactulose syrup from the doctor, do you know if this is good for gut flora or is bad?
Will it help the gut health like the pro biotics and prebiotics
I’m also trying Ginko Biloba ( natures bounty brand )
I’m not expecting much from this and they were origionally suppose to go in concert with the PSerine I was trying. ( a depressed old dog recipe)
I had issues with the pregabalin and have switched to 300mg Gabapentin at night instead.
This has stopped the mini fits at night and I’m sleeping well again and has removed the anxiety.
It also has drawback of making you tired and lacking motivation generally but the trade off is better than the hyper anxiety.
I’ll look into theand NAC
As always Thankyou for your expert knowledge and insite into the treatment affects of the pharmaceuticals and supplements etc

thanks
GM

Hip

I’m not very patient as a lot of these supplements might take months to work and I’m looking for a big change in a few days

Usually when supplements work for anxiety, they work within a couple of hours, I find.

I find kava kicks in within an hour or two. Although I read that for some people, kava can take a week or two to work, so this may be an exception.

I got some lactulose syrup from the doctor, do you know if this is good for gut flora or is bad?

I don't know.

HI Hip,
Would this kava be okay

1657885538565.png

Do you think a standard brand would work
I’m finding it hard to locate a good source of the kava in UK
What dose of kava do you recomend and can you specify one or two suppliers that I can order from in the UK
Is powder or capsules best and required doseages
Everywhere is sold out and the prices are double what they should be.

Thanks

Hip

Kava was banned in the EU, so I buy it from the US. One of my posts on kava lists various US suppliers. I take 1 to 2 grams of micronized powder.

Thanks for all these threads on your supplements @Hip ! I have pretty severe social anxiety linked with GAD so I'm hoping one of these things help. I know some have mentioned it didn't for them but I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with some kind of chronic inflammation like you since my skin seems to always get inflamed and itchy along side many other symptoms.

I'm going to attempt just getting these all together but wanted to ask how long in between you tried each one before using them all together? I'm trying to keep a log on the benefits of each thing I take so wanted some advice on how long I should give before I start another or if any other people would like to chime in? Thanks!

Hip

I have pretty severe social anxiety linked with GAD

For social anxiety you might look into choline bitartrate, which often works well. Whereas N-acetyl glucosamine etc might be effective for GAD.

Most of the supplements listed start working within an hour or two, so you can try these supplements at any time, and then wait a few hours to see if you notice a reduction in GAD.

For social anxiety you might look into choline bitartrate, which often works well. Whereas N-acetyl glucosamine etc might be effective for GAD.

Most of the supplements listed start working within an hour or two, so you can try these supplements at any time, and then wait a few hours to see if you notice a reduction in GAD.
Alright, I'll take a look at that one too and probably try them both. Thanks!

HI Hip,
Would this kava be okay

View attachment 48367
Do you think a standard brand would work
I’m finding it hard to locate a good source of the kava in UK
What dose of kava do you recomend and can you specify one or two suppliers that I can order from in the UK
Is powder or capsules best and required doseages

Thanks

HI HIP,
Hope you are doing well,
I’ve had issues with the gabapentin 300mg night as it is causing mini type seizures whenever I drop off to sleep every day consistently.
I’m going to change the brand or just go back to the pregabalin. (Which has issues too)
I’ve found that increasing Gaba work to greatly reduce my anxiety but I’ve had issues with both these medications.
I have recently been trying NAC and ginkgo biloba both these but mainly the NAC has an effect on my anxiety I believe NAC is a glutimate inhibitor however the effect seems mild I’ve been taking about 3000mg of NAC per day.
As it’s the Gaba A receptors that seem to help the most with anxiety I’m very interested in KAVA as you think that this increases the gaba receptor sensitivity rather than down regulating their sensitivity( increased tolerance over time)
I’ve noticed all the Gaba increasing supplements like valarian (especially) work for a few days very well then this wears off to being ineffective.

I’m going to ask for quetiapine 25mg and Buspirone to take at night at my next visit to the doctor
if this fails I’ll most likely ask for diazepams having tried everything on the list.
Their might be an antidepressant out their which can help anxiety’s but I don’t get along with seratonin raising medication.
I’ve still got the Tianaptine to try out.
Could you give the KAVA supplier you use at the moment and what type is best for anxiety or GAD (which I believe is what you use it for)
Thankyou
and grateful for your help and advice
Greg M

HI HIP,
Hope you are doing well,
I’ve had issues with the gabapentin 300mg night as it is causing mini type seizures whenever I drop off to sleep every day consistently.
I’m going to change the brand or just go back to the pregabalin. (Which has issues too)
I’ve found that increasing Gaba work to greatly reduce my anxiety but I’ve had issues with both these medications.
I have recently been trying NAC and ginkgo biloba both these but mainly the NAC has an effect on my anxiety I believe NAC is a glutimate inhibitor however the effect seems mild I’ve been taking about 3000mg of NAC per day.
As it’s the Gaba A receptors that seem to help the most with anxiety I’m very interested in KAVA as you think that this increases the gaba receptor sensitivity rather than down regulating their sensitivity( increased tolerance over time)
I’ve noticed all the Gaba increasing supplements like valarian (especially) work for a few days very well then this wears off to being ineffective.

I’m going to ask for quetiapine 25mg and Buspirone to take at night at my next visit to the doctor
if this fails I’ll most likely ask for diazepams having tried everything on the list.
Their might be an antidepressant out their which can help anxiety’s but I don’t get along with seratonin raising medication.
I’ve still got the Tianaptine to try out.
Could you give the KAVA supplier you use at the moment and what type is best for anxiety or GAD (which I believe is what you use it for)
Thankyou
and grateful for your help and advice
Greg M
Update
I’ve stopped the gabapentin and the mini shaking type fits when falling asleep have gone
I have switched back to pregabalin (lyrics) temporarily. These cause a numbing and unpleasant affect and mushy headaches.
I’m only using 50mg at night.
But I’m very sensitive to these.
Plan is to slowly reduce and stop.
I might try lyrica CR (at lowest dose 80mg) (extended release lyrica which may stop the withdrawal issue that occurs the next day)
I’ll most likely try 25mg lyrics tonight.

I was off the lyrica or any Gabapentinoids for six months this year but was eventually unable to function due to the stress and anxiety levels.
Still looking for a solution.
As far as the gut health I’m going to try

Bacillus Coagulans Probiotics

This is said to be the only bacteria strain that can survive the stomach acid.
Also as you mentioned
Bimuno Daily Prebiotic

These two ideas (I think bimuno is similar to to the sun fibre) are ingredients of gundry MD’s biocomplete 3 latest formulation on sale. his last formulation ‘total restore’ had NAG and l-glutimine but at amounts too small to do anything.
Has also butyrate in the biocomplete 3 capsules that is designed to survive down to intestines and repair holes in gut lining.
There’s a video that interesting here

He comes up with some good ideas but they don’t ever prove out to be effective.

I’ll try the 3 ingredients separately and get from other sources

thanks for your endeavours on the anxiety front
I’ve got some KAVA ordered but it’s only the NOW brand off iHerb app
If you can suggest a good type it would be very useful
THANKS
GregM

Hip

If you can suggest a good type it would be very useful

I have not really done enough experimentation with different types of kava to know which might be the best for anxiety. There are many different kava chemotypes, detailed in this post.

I get reasonable calming results from the Borongoru kava and also the Pouni Ono kava I bought from Kalm With Kava. But whether there might be better chemotypes for anxiety, I do not know.

Note: if you want to take kava orally as powder, you need the micronised form.

Note: not all US suppliers will ship to the UK, since selling kava is illegal here.

Hip

@Hip -- In case you're interested, I think this post I made earlier today is relevant to this this discussion on anxiety. I would post it here, but didn't really want to post it twice.

Thanks.

Though when someone has moderate to severe anxiety, they tend to be far, far beyond the help of any relaxation techniques or relaxation gadgets.

For someone who does not have clinical anxiety, but just finds it hard to relax, or finds it difficult to destress after work, such relaxation techniques may be useful. When I was healthy, I found yoga to be a great destress/relaxation technique after coming home from work.

But once you have clinical generalised anxiety disorder, trying to treat that using relaxation techniques is like trying to put out a burning building with a glass of water.

There is whole universe of difference between being a bit stressed or tensed up after work, and severe anxiety generalised anxiety disorder. You would not wish the latter on your worst enemy, it's that awful.

hapl808

You would not wish the latter on your worst enemy, it's that awful.

While we have different ideas about what we'd wish on our worst enemy, I always find those distinctions important.

It's the same issue with ME/CFS vs being run down. And when psychologists confuse being really sad about our health with clinical depression. These are very different conditions, and treatment for one is unlikely to be effective for the other. Like I think all of us could benefit from therapy looking at coping skills for the severely disabled (if such a therapy exists for us), but treatment for clinical depression is unlikely to help us. If I were a psychologist, the first thing I'd recommend for clinical depression is a lot more physical activity - seems about as helpful as most drugs with fewer side effects. Obviously for us, that's the worst recommendation possible.