Active B12 Protocol Basics

Hey everyone

I have a question regarding testing for the methylation mutations. I hope this is the right place to ask this

I haven't done my genetic testing yet, still have to put the money together because it's insanely expensive where I live but I am having terrible histamine problems and chemical sensitivities that are only marginally made better with sulphur foods and I am afraid I might have a problem converting folate to methyl or possibly even B12, as my only source of b12 is meat. The only folate suplements I have been on were folic and folinic. I can't tolerate legumes or greens for a long enough period to even see if I can get benefits from it, but my condition hasn't gotten any better or worse since introducing folinic acid at a 400mcg dosage.

Is there a way I can test with supplements to see if I have that problem? I can purchase 5-Methyltetrahydrafolate with a capsule that contains 400mcg so its not a massive megadose. If I take 1/4, 1/2 etc and have ANY reaction, good or bad, is that a possible sign that I need methylfolate and the other forms I have tried were useless for methylation?

It's only been 5 days since I started the folinic acid and it seems I may have been folate deficient for a few months as the amount of folate in the foods I was sporadically eating were only around 50%, so I assume it might take a while to see any effects from supplementing even folinic?

I did get a CBC done when I was folate deficient and my red blood cells are actually microcytic and my homocystiene was 10.3 (reference 5.0-15.0 umol/L) but I wasn't eating that much protein at the time.

Thanks

Last edited:

pamojja

Is there a way I can test with supplements to see if I have that problem?
I believe that's the only viable way. Even if you had genetic testing showing any potential problems in converting folic acid, it still wouldn't tell you if you would overcome that problem with 400mcg or 5000mcg per day of methylfolate. Only experimenting with slowly increasing doses, monitoring symptoms and regular laboratory markers does.

You should always take some B12 together with folate supplementation.

Where do you life?

I believe that's the only viable way. Even if you had genetic testing showing any potential problems in converting folic acid, it still wouldn't tell you if you would overcome that problem with 400mcg or 5000mcg per day of methylfolate. Only experimenting with slowly increasing doses, monitoring symptoms and regular laboratory markers does.

You should always take some B12 together with folate supplementation.

Where do you life?
I am in South Africa.

If I took a small dose of methylfolate and I get no reaction whatsoever(good or bad), does that mean I don't have a problem converting to methylfolate since I am just giving the body what it already has and uses currently?

Is there no way to test methylfolate and methylcobalamin separately to see first where the problem lies?

Can I not take a small dose of methylfolate for say 2 days to gauge any reaction then stop and wait a few days and try methylcobalamin at a small dose for 2 days to gauge any reaction to find which one I react towards?

Cheers,

EDIT: I have been folate deficient for a few months now, except for some folate from greens and legumes when I can eat them, so I figured taking the folinic acid, I should see SOME reaction but it's just been business as usual, no good OR bad reaction, like it does absolutely nothing :/

Last edited:

pamojja

Everyone is different. But of the 3 main B vitamins I take for lowering homocysteine, I only 'felt' B6 above 200mg, in that I've got dream-recall back (despite having been deficient as a vegetarian for 30 years in B12, I never felt anything from supplementing it).

Choline at one time above 500mg/d gave me tension in my chaw. Now tolerance is increasing again. That's all I've ever 'felt' of any B-vitamins. There are others who are much more sensitive. Only you can find out if you are.

Last edited:
Everyone is different. But of the 3 main B vitamins I take for lowering homocysteine, I only 'felt' B6 above 200mg, in that I've got dream-recall back.
I will keep all this in mind, thanks. Is dream recall methylation specific or something specific to B6 because I only get B6 through foods but the very night I took the folinic acid and every night since then, I have dream recall again, which hasn't happened in month and I changed nothing diet wise either

pamojja

B6 specific. But B-vitamins are of course all interrelated, and anyone missing might impede every other of the Bs. That why it's not only advisable to supplement B12 with B9 (which otherwise may mask a B12 deficiency), but better also with a B-complex with some of all B vitamins.

B_metabolism.png

Hi Fred,
I have a Sulfur Intolerance , SUOX block. I read somewhere that Methyl B12 injections are not good for me but Hydroxy is better. Is that also your knowledge? Just want to double check before I schedule the injections.

pibee

so my very ugly delayed sleep disorder i have since childhood/adolescence, went few days in remission on methylB12, Enzymatic Therapy brand, very high doses (10mg + ). But it didnt stay . This is only thing that ever worked for my sleep shit, EVER.

it still helps but not like first days when i'd fall asleep at 10pm regardless of anything.

It also extremely helps my fatigue!

should i keep upping my dose or what? @Freddd ?

methylfolate i have ugly nasty experience with, think it made me half psyhotic, so i avoid it for now.