• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

dandelion discotheque (d'un lit)

My name is Sunshine. I am 40 years old. I am married and have 2 children. I have been a part of this strange club since 2008 but things took a steep decline in 2016. I entered this universe some of you are familiar with. By 2018, i was fully bedridden with a wheelchair to use the potty and could no longer bathe eventually. In the past 3 years i have only left the house by ambulance, to and from, 5 times. I am given spongebaths and hair washed all in bed, as i can since Feb. 2019 fully. I have been meaning to do this on here for quite a few years, so sometimes you just have to start...nOw.

This was the last picture of me standing and going out. I did not know this was to be the case. Its the strangest thing thinking of one of my last days in the real world. When i look in my eyes, i don't seem like someone whom has any idea of the reality getting ready to hit her. I remember i had trouble walking up the driveway to my friends house this night. Exhausted. Beyond. I was taking potatoes with me and would microwave them at peoples house because i could only drink water and eat a handful of foods at this point. My world was slowly crashing in. The kind of crashing that is slow and eerie but also fast and harsh. I remember my conversations this evening. The election was upcoming. I remember my husband asking me to go upstairs to see a remodeling job they had done....i couldn't. The strength was beginning to be rationed. It was November 2nd, 2016. In 3 short months, my entire world will change and i will be homebound and mostly bedridden. I will no longer drive, shower, walk or cook or eat normally like normal people in the very near future. I am also the mother of a 11 and 3 year old at this point. Our entire worlds come crashing in. A part of me, somedays, is forever stuck here, waiting to return to the reality i once knew. Now, many years have passed and i don't like to do the math but you can do the math of how long i have been here.

I look in her eyes and there is this fear of feeling the turbulence no one can quite identify. Yet, there is also this peace over me. The kinda peace that washes over someone when they are swallowed by a raging river and finally just let go. Its coming for me. Little bits of letting go over and over and over again every single day and every single year. Surrendering to whatever is and whatever will be. Because i am here now, i am not there. But i still look at her. I see her last outfit out. I see this life she used to have. Legs that used to walk, hair that used to be washed and a very different reality from today. It makes me realize she has a story to tell. So, i have decided to tell some of it.

Comments

Hello @sunshine44......I'm so sorry that you had to join our "club." Trust me, if I could I would say goodbye to all of you and let you get on with the lives you were having and wanted for so long.

However, for whatever reason, here we are....all in the same place, but not at the same time. We have our good moments and our bad ones, we forgive ourselves and we forgive others, we're grateful, oh so grateful, to those who believe and help us and we learn. Oh, but we learn.

I hope the youngest of you will regain some of your lost health. Try hard to do so.....rest, give the body the rest it probably never had after you had a virus or in multiple cases, viruses. Not just a week, but really, really rest and eat nourishing food, listen to music....do whatever it is that makes you feel relaxed and good, listen to youtube, books on tape....relax and heal.

Meditate, practice breathing if nothing else....work on learning to be alone. None of it is wasted b/c we've learned things that people may not learn until their deaths...or in some cases, never. To me that would be a loss a sorrowful one, every bit as getting ill in the first instance.

If you don't come to at least a moderate standing, there will be time to remake yourself and turn something bad into something that is good for yourself and others. At least that's been my saving grace.

Having children may make us feel guilty because we can't be a good parent (our thought), but the odd thing is that they're even more caring when they're much older, more likely to visit and talk to you and include you in their lives and those of their children. So those small children will grow up to be very capable adults who have compassion for others. We proud that they do.

Friends will do the same, as well as those friends we had much earlier in life. It's not one-sided....they have their problems, too, and I make certain that we share them. We're just comfortable with ourselves and what we have. We've learned and been tempered. At every stage of life, I've kept my friends and they know that I can only do so much, talk for so long, but I can e-mail them as often as they want. We're as close as ever even though we'll probably never see each other again. It's OK....we're there for each other.

I know that I never made my daughters' lives about my illness, I wanted them to be mature and able to have decent jobs to support themselves. I made them go away and find their capabilities. My oldest will soon be 51....and I'm at her wedding. Still at their wedding and somehow the babies they had are in university. It's true that time does pass faster as we get older; somehow we become old. One day we're 40 and the next 70, then 75! Now that's a shock. It could be that I've just been fortunate, I don't know....but I did learn to accept help when it was needed and, as you know, that's not easy. It takes a brave person to say, "Yes, please. If you could help me, I'd be grateful." But then it all becomes so much easier because we're no longer fighting against anything.

We're close to our families...of course we get irritated with them at times, but they're always there for us. We lose our parents, aunts, uncles and other very loved ones....but we mourn and yet still survive. Our daughters have enlarged our world with our wonderful sons-in-law and 4 grandchildren who think we're pretty special....and I have no idea why, but it's good. "Yes, please." It opens a closed door...one that should be wide open. Yours, Lenora

Thank you Lenora. You are so kind with your words. Thank you for sharing your story. It brings me hope about my children that are now 5 (4 fully bedridden) years in this with me. My daughter was 3 when my world collapsed and she has no memories of me walking or outside of this bed. Its so unbelievable to wrap my head around and i deal with alot of ptsd over it. All we can do is the best we can with what we have before us.

Thank you for sharing this intimate portrait, this tiny glimpse of what its been like for you, and how can this be possible?

How do we process what has happened to us? I guess this is part of it, this sharing, this merging together of our stories and the loss.

I'll just tell you I sat here and cried. Its OK. Is your life not worth the tears of a stranger?

Your so beautiful and vibrant there, in the picture. You still are. This is not fair. Nothing about it is. It seems fairness is not truely a commodity we can trade in.

I'm really pleased you're posting here and hope you can share more of your story with us.

Thank you for sharing this intimate portrait, this tiny glimpse of what its been like for you, and how can this be possible?

How do we process what has happened to us? I guess this is part of it, this sharing, this merging together of our stories and the loss.

I'll just tell you I sat here and cried. Its OK. Is your life not worth the tears of a stranger?

Your so beautiful and vibrant there, in the picture. You still are. This is not fair. Nothing about it is. It seems fairness is not truely a commodity we can trade in.

I'm really pleased you're posting here and hope you can share more of your story with us.

so beautifully stated @Rufous McKinney
happy to connect.

It is all so sad. For so many of us. Sometimes, i feel my story is so sad, i can hardly even believe its my own life. I used to lay in back to back ptsd episodes all day long at some point. Would close my eyes and dream my daughter was entering different years each room she would run into... in preschool, kindergarden etc. and i couldn't figure out how old she was and i and would wake up screaming. I couldn't keep track of what year we were in. Or dreams of ambulances taking me away and shes lost in the hospital and i can't get her. Its cruel. Its not ok. But i have to be ok with this life i have been given...as so many of you can relate. Yet somehow, that spirit in us holds on and waits even for one blade of grass to show its lovely head even if we've been in the deepest darkest dungeon for years. :heart:

Blog entry information

Author
sunshine44
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from sunshine44

Back