• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Progress update 10/9/2017

I feel like I should keep writing these even though they seem somewhat boring. Progress is slow, and I work hard for it in ways people don't see. But it's happening, and it feels like something I wish I'd documented more when I was more severe.

Last month I wrote about a breakthrough regarding my abdomen. The very gentle manipulation techniques my DO taught me caused immense relief and softening of my abdomen that I'd never previously experienced. It affected things on a pretty deep level. I was passing undigested food, had lost all sense of appetite, and had to constantly lay down because my core couldn't sustain holding me upright.

Well now I'm reporting where that's at 5 weeks later.

Significantly improved appetite

The passing undigested food only lasted a day or two. My appetite gradually returned over the course of a couple weeks....and then it kept getting better. The past couple weeks I have been eating a large breakfast every morning, something I haven't been able to do in well over a decade. My previous norm was often waking up slightly nauseous if I even think about food. Sometimes I could force myself to eat a snack, that was it.

Now every morning I'm eating 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast, a cup of hot herbal tea, and occasionally some fruit too like a banana.

Not only that, but I'm eating more food the rest of the day than I did previously. For example, even when I eat a full dinner, I still need pretty close to a full meal as a "bedtime snack".

My body couldn't seem to handle this much food before. Now it craves it. Very similar to how I started craving exercise the second my body could handle it. It's almost like our bodies know what we need or something! ;)

The core weakness has also disappeared. It feels about back to baseline for now.

Difficulty maintaining it

Whenever a structural shift happens, it can always shift back. This is what happens when I'm under significant stress, or work long hours. My abdomen "locks up" again, and it can take several days of efforts to release it.

I tend to need at least half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening to work on it every day to maintain this current state -- more than that if it's locked down. The technique requires a fair bit of physical energy to hover my hands over my abdomen without resting my elbows, and also mental focus. It's freakin' difficult. Whenever I want to give up, I remember how severe my abdominal symptoms have been and decide to press on a little longer.

The rest of the body is involved, too.

It was about a week after I wrote about my abdominal breakthrough that I realized my ribcage felt unusually tight. Like a giant hand had my ribcage enclosed in a fist that was preventing me from breathing deeply. Turns out I could breathe just as much as before, but with my abdomen releasing, my body realized it should be capable of breathing deeper. It was pissed that it couldn't.

So I began doing the same technique I was using on my abdomen, on my chest, too.

The relief has been incredible. It's also linked to emotional stuff, often resulting in crying.

My pelvis is also involved now, too. Working on either my pelvis or my ribcage now tends to result in more releases happening in my abdomen, things that didn't release with direct work.

I think this is what my DO means when he says everything is connected, and every part of the body affects every other part.

Slowly moving forward.

This treatment is boring. When people ask me how I got out of a mostly bedridden state, and I say cranial osteopathy and a lot of meditative work and lifestyle changes, their eyes glaze over and they lose interest so fast.

I get it. It's not something you can try as easily as a supplement. It's messy to navigate, it's a lot of work and it's incredibly invasive to your lifestyle and perspective of self.

But it is moving my health forward.

In the past 5 (ish) months I have started using my hiking poles less and less, after about 6 (?) years of being unable to go anywhere without them.

My crashes look like needing to lay down a lot, not temporary paralysis or being bedridden.

My body is healing. How far this will take me, I don't know, but I'm eager to find out.

Comments

Hi Dainty, what does DO stand for? I've seen several GPs and practitioners over the last few years who have said my gut feels hard to the touch and doesn't feel "right". Inflamed spleen was pointed out a few times when I first went to see my GP but that only seems to bother me when I crash these days. I don't tend towards IBS particularly but the hard gut thing does make me wonder whats going on in there. How are things continuing with this treatment for you? xxx

Hey tooth! DO stands for Doctor of Osteopathy. In the U.S. they are full medical doctors just like MDs and can practice in any field of medicine with all teh same priviledges and experience of MDs. D.O.s that specialize in manual manipulative medicine, however, are like chiropractors for not just your bones but every single tissue in your body. They have EXTENSIVE knowledge of anatomy, and are able to diagnose and treat things most doctors can't.

Outside of the US, D.O.s do not receive any medical training, they only do the manual manipulative medicine and are not full on doctors.

Things have been great! I can't afford to get treated terribly often, but my DO's goal is to work himself out of a job anyway. The breathing exercises he's prescribed me are helping a lot! I make considerable progress every time I go, which is about once every 2-3 months currently due to finances.

Blog entry information

Author
Dainty
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Dainty