• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Small Victories

No_more_pain;222652 said:
I went to the local market today with my mother. Whoopy, big deal, right?

Well... for some, that's literally nothing. For others, it is a big deal.

I won't get into the emasculating feeling of being driven around by your mother when you're pushing 40. I won't get into the resistance my brain has to learning how to get around this area that I've lived in for five years now--all I tend to remember is (a) home (b) {a big blur happens here} then (c) destination.

I will however say that it was a nice experience to see this place (for the first time I might add) that I'd been hearing about since before we moved in, in person. A quaint mixture of commercial foods and things prepared fresh there.

Here's how it went:

Drive (technically "be driven") to market, park. Get out of the car, walk in. Grab a basket, carry basket. Look at various foods and goodies, making my Pekingese face as I go (see previous post/blog entry about glasses). Fifteen minutes later, check out, leave with bags. Load car, get in car, drive home.

Here's how it felt:

"Combat diary, day 3... I have no idea where I am. My arm is burning from carrying the supplies, but I dare not drop them - it's the reason we came so far into enemy territory...

The locals stare at me.... I look like one of them, but they can tell there's something different about me. It's only a matter of time before one of them figures it out...

Day 6... I'd almost given up hope when I heard the rescue chopper finally coming. It was all I could do to get the supplies and myself onboard before it took off.

Day 14... I'm told my injuries will take a while to heal. I don't remember the flight home. I know we'll have to go back out there soon. Maybe too soon.... we better have backup next time."

Okay, so maybe that's overstating things a bit.

... but only just a little.

Comments

Clever. And if there is a Chinese-proverb-context for "clever," that's not what I mean. You know what I mean.

Blog entry information

Author
No_more_pain
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs