• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"A Tall Grass Field"

I think I was trying to sound allegorical or something here. I couldn't think of an original ending. Ideas are welcome ...

Walking through a tall grass field, a young man, looking upward, searches for a sign that will indicate if he is moving in the right direction. At that moment, the sky is clear, with nothing in the way that might serve as an interpretation for his next move. Still, determined, the man continues to look upward at the sky in search of a definitive sign. It’s true that he does not know where he’s headed. But why would some external force and not his own logic and intuition propel him forward?

He questions himself for having taken the grass field route: Why did I go that way? What if I had gone the dirt path instead? In an attempt to figure out his problem, he begins to hypothesize and question. But, in fact, there are no signs, no directions in sight; nobody is around to help; and he has never traveled such a journey before. Might things be different if he could locate a guide or a local countryman? He wonders where he can find someone of that nature. In his mind, he knows the possibility is low. Yet he continues to have hope and faith in his new idea. Whilst he keeps thinking of a solution to his predicament, he moves along in a field with no visible end in sight. Before long, his solid legs become weary. Frustrated, he pulls at his long earlobes, scratches his thin beard. Time passes and he eventually stops to rest.

There on the grass field, lying arm over forehead, he ponders his ill-informed decision. The next morning, he remains there, mulling over his choices. What should I do? Hungry and thirsty, he is rapidly losing his senses. I need food. Why is nobody around? Where are the answers I so desperately need? Delirium eventually sets in, his body nearing ill-health.

In the distance, below a large rock wall, sits an old man with his dog. He has a bushel of fruit, jugs of water, and a compass. He has come there for an afternoon excursion. Upon noticing the young man, he immediately comes up and starts toward him. The man, now face down on the ground, is in a desperate struggle. The old man rushes over to help: he feeds the young man, gives him water, and cleans him up. Afterwards, he sends the young man along to where he thinks he will find his way. The young man soon does and arrives home safely.

Many years go by and the young man is now old. He has led a very fulfilling life. He hasn’t forgotten his desperate moment in the field, however, when he was so fortunate for having been rescued. It was a turning point for him. He remembers the experience like it was yesterday.

The man tells his story to a young man, who is his son. He says he had no idea that during his unfortunate situation, there would be someone nearby to aid him. He thinks back and wonders what could have been. “There are no right directions,” he tells his son. “If you keep going forward, the direction you will take is really the only one you could have taken.”

Comments

Oh, wow!

I really liked this allegorical tale! The ending seems to work for me.

I've done some plant surveys where I became absorbed in a Tall Grass Field.

Its another world.

They told us the Spaniards arrived, and on horseback, the horses often disappeared into the Tall Grass Fields.

Botanists debate what the heck grass was that? To grow so tall?

The dirt path is worn. Humans are conspicuous, in how we change the landscape under our feet. Ironic, it becomes bare dirt with repeated passes.

Have you ever encountered the Dead End Trail? It appears that this trail will lead to something or another. the Trail beckons. the path is clear, to step forward.

But it only leads to a dead end. A false start and abrupt end.

You have to turn around, and go back.

An important part of your story is the encounter with a helper.

This running into helpers, is very important part of wandering in Tall Grass Fields.

Or wandering in the night, in deserts for 40 days....

Recognizing Help is part of any challenge. We can miss it entirely.

Paying attention to subtle signs pointing....help us orient Forward. And like I said earlier, sometimes we may have to loop back. Retrace our steps. To make a course correction.

Oh, wow!

I really liked this allegorical tale! The ending seems to work for me.

I've done some plant surveys where I became absorbed in a Tall Grass Field.

Its another world.

They told us the Spaniards arrived, and on horseback, the horses often disappeared into the Tall Grass Fields.

Botanists debate what the heck grass was that? To grow so tall?

The dirt path is worn. Humans are conspicuous, in how we change the landscape under our feet. Ironic, it becomes bare dirt with repeated passes.

Have you ever encountered the Dead End Trail? It appears that this trail will lead to something or another. the Trail beckons. the path is clear, to step forward.

But it only leads to a dead end. A false start and abrupt end.

You have to turn around, and go back.

Thank you. Wow, this sounds interesting. No, I haven’t encountered the Dead End Trail. Tell me more, if there is more to tell.

No, I haven’t encountered the Dead End Trail. Tell me more, if there is more to tell.

oh, well its fairly common to have a trail dead end because in fact there is no swimming hole there.

So the first pass, somebody steps off the main trail, thinking- maybe there is a swimming hole. Opps, no. Turn around go back. Well, over time, fifty other people take teh same steps, wondering if it leads to a swimming spot.

Sometimes it happens by something Scenic Overlook or Cliff-like. Thats it, you can go no further.

I ran into a bear freeway once. Figured this remarkable trail...hiding in remote woods....had grizzly bears traversing it for 10,000 years. Too bad the Grizzley bears in the lower 48 states, did not encounter Helpers.

Blog entry information

Author
Cloudyskies
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Cloudyskies