Blog entries by Cloudyskies

What Happened and Other Stuff
Frohe Weihnachten means Merry Christmas in German. My preoccupation with this newly learned holiday greeting squandered every potential...
Views
Comments
Updated
Everyone knows how unfortunate a visit to the DMV can be—whether it’s dealing with incompetent personnel, not having the proper paperwork...
Views
Comments
Updated
Back by popular demand (well, just Rufous, actually), my Germany stories … I’m the John Bosley in this story, the father figure to the girls. The...
Views
Comments
Updated
Sounds of a galloping horse? Nope. It’s a woman in heels, on a cobblestone street. That’s when the pressure builds—when paranoia sets in because...
Views
Comments
Updated
My experiences while living in Germany again, as an American. This time, a wedding… Considering the work that’s required to fulfill the many...
Views
Comments
Updated
The Question: While in the confines of a foreign country, what can one do to celebrate America’s Independence? The Answer: Commemorate in one’s...
Views
Comments
Updated
I arrived at Berlin’s Tegel airport at eleven in the morning on a Saturday. The American Tourist suitcase by my side, the previous year’s...
Views
Comments
Updated
It’s chocolate madness and the European Parliament’s favorite chair. From the beauteous Grand Palace—the imposing central square cluttered with...
Views
Comments
Updated
Seven dollars. It’s what I had in my wallet, which my son Thomas, 6, hurriedly snatched from my dresser drawer. “Papa, Papa, can I go get an ice...
Views
Comments
Updated
Germany is said to have hundreds of different kinds of cheese. It’s no surprise, then, that the country is the European leader—the Big Cheese—in...
Views
Comments
Updated
My least favorite friend, who once compared my illness with his inability to quit smoking, said to me via group text that “Stephen Hawking was...
Views
Comments
Updated
Unfurnished apartments in Germany come equipped with next to nothing. That means no closets, no kitchen sink, no cabinets, no oven, and no...
Views
Comments
Updated
Ever since Grandpa shoved that first glass of vino under my schnaz, and Grandma scratched together that first scrumptious batch of homemade...
Views
Updated
Publishers and media companies throughout the world came galloping into town on their respective horses to become players in the Frankfurt...
Views
Updated
Of all the great songs on my album of survival at those innumerable family sleepovers, there’s that especially creative yet shameful one that...
Views
Comments
Updated
In America, everyone carries his or her own personal water bottle or coffee around. You’ll see people with them on the streets, in cars, on public...
Views
Comments
Updated
I came across an ad on Facebook for a book about The Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island, USA, in 2003 that killed 100 people and injured many...
Views
Comments
Updated
Another travelogue … Impressive. Panache. Enchanting. Beau monde. Artistic. Paris is all of these things. Its attraction is undeniable. It had me...
Views
Updated