Blog entries by Cloudyskies

What Happened and Other Stuff
Flagrant misuse of cream cheese is common practice in Germany. It’s also what I’d come to identify as a public health problem for American...
Views
Comments
Updated
The response had been well-nigh instantaneous. Sirens blared in the distance immediately after I ended the call. By the time I made it down the...
Views
Comments
Updated
Gone were the days of cruising through life without having to witness an old man’s bare ass strutting by. The distressing scene in Basic Instinct...
Views
Comments
Updated
My worst year of illness was 2017. For most of that year, I needed help standing up to pee in a bed pan that was two steps to the right of my...
Views
Comments
Updated
The healthy years: a class to kick a*& in Germany … The widely popular Korean martial art Taekwondo mostly involves fast, combative...
Views
Comments
Updated
“I just broke up with George. He said he understands.” “Sorry to hear that,” my wife texted back. It had been a brutal winter. In the front...
Views
Updated
The healthy days: from Germany to ball in Vienna, Austria … It was late on a Friday morning and I was sitting at my work station taking big gulps...
Views
Comments
Updated
How far would you go to to convince someone of something? Early on in my illness, I would stage falls to the floor so my wife would pay attention...
Views
Comments
Updated
The healthy days: an incident in Sicily … Our guidebook was right. It was beautiful, and nearly deserted. As we slowly walked up the rocky path...
Views
Comments
Updated
The healthy days: a little mishap at a Manhattan apartment … When I’m on vacation, I eat like a camel. There’s a lot of gorging and then sitting...
Views
Comments
Updated
I am rather embarrassed to admit that I had three major medical episodes in the past that were all psychosomatic in nature. The first occurred...
Views
Comments
Updated
TENNIS COURT My next door neighbor has a tennis court in his backyard that is visible from my bathroom window. In summer, I sometimes look out...
Views
Comments
Updated
When much of your life has been stripped away, you come to appreciate some of the simplest, most basic things—food and water, the Internet, a warm...
Views
Comments
Updated
It’s 2018. I’m seeing a psychiatrist once every two weeks: a meathead Russian guy with a large pot belly, a thick accent, and a disheveled head of...
Views
Comments
Updated