• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will You Be Getting the Covid Vaccine?

Will You Be Getting the COVID Vaccine?

• Total voters

2Cor.12:19

Your description (to me) sounds like you developed POTS from the vaccine which is actually more common than people realize. The fact that it affected your ability to stand and that you are now on a beta blocker 21 years later, sounds like POTS (not panic disorder). Have you ever been diagnosed with POTS?

@Gingergrrl, My inability to stand up was temporary and accompanied the severe panic attacks. The beta blockers were given for an arrhythmia and to help control the panic attacks- along with XANAX, which I’ve finally begun to wean off - ever so slowly, after 20 + years. . The leg weakness I had then was nothing like POTS. I do have POTS now, but it came on many years after that. Was dx’d by my cardiologist who tried beta blocker regimines, compression socks, increased water, salt, etc. Fortunately, mine’s not as bad as some have it and it tends to come and go. I use a cane for my balance problems due to Axonal Polyneuropathy so it comes in handy if my legs get weak.

I can sure see why you don’t want to risk the vaccine. Holding a good thought for you friend and that you’ll stay safe and COVID will disappear.

PS. I should add that when I had the vax reaction, I had yet to be treated for Hashimotos ( which Im sure I’ve had since high school as I was on T meds back then but stopped taking them. That was before they tested for Hashi’s) I also had yet to be diagnosed mixed sleep apnea which I developed when I first got sick with ME/CFS. So both of those conditions can cause anxiety and panic episodes. Once they were successfully treated, my panic attacks improved dramatically. That could have played into the whole vax reaction.

Last edited:

Wayne

I just ran across the below-linked thread on a tinnitus forum. I've had plenty of good reasons for myself to not get a vaccine (including history of anaphylactic shock), but if I hadn't been convinced from my own history, this potential "side effect" would be a clincher.

I got bad tinnitus from a single dose of an anti-nausea medication three years ago, and it's been life altering. Tinnitus is not just a little harmless "ringing in the ears". It can catastrophically upend people's lives in ways that few people without tinnitus are aware of. Some simply can't go on, and commit suicide.

I Got Tinnitus After the Second Shot of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Here's what he said happened to him:

"The high pitch sound is really bad... day 1 after receiving the vaccine, I had flu like symptoms which is normal, fever, headache and body ache. Then 2nd day, I had buzzing sound on both ears and now have high pitch sound. On the early onset, the tinnitus is 5/10 and 9/10 high pitch. -- I took Prednisone for 7 days. No improvement but it got worse."​
Here's one of the replies on that thread:

"How bad is it? And I have heard some people getting tinnitus from COVID-19 vaccines."​
..............................................................................................
BTW, this information on tinnitus is not at all surprising to me. Vaccines are known to be able to induce various kinds of brain and/or neurological damage, which can then easily bring on a tinnitus situation (syndrome?). Tinnitus is a complex condition where there's a lot of disrupted neurological interplay between the brain and the ears.

Also, I've noticed a lot of similarities between ME/CFS and tinnitus. Whereas tinnitus involves some kind of faulty interplay between the brain and the auditory system, ME/CFS often involves--generally speaking--some kind of faulty interplay between the brain and the immune system, the brain and the endocrine system, and the brain and the neurological system.

Last edited:

jen1177

I have significant concerns as to the possibility of human cells incorporating the spike mRNA, considering it's delivered in what is basically an exosome, and it has been proven that the cytosol human cells has endogenous retrotranscriptive ability.
As well, the encapsulated mRNA does not trigger the usual innate PAMP receptors, and will not co-stimulate the T lymphocytes, possibly leading to an aberrant immune response
This concerns me as well, but I have read that the mRNA is broken down after a few days. How they know this, I don't know. What breaks it down, I don't know either. There is a total lack of details about that in the general articles. I was just searching online about the different vaccines and it turns out the ALL contain instructions for the immune system to create the spike protein from SARS-CoV-2.
I had my first Moderna shot just over 2 weeks ago and I had a severe reaction. I am seriously considering not getting the second one since so little is known about how people with ME/CFS and/or autoimmune diseases will be affected. For all I know, my immune system might be so dysfunctional that maybe it won't be able to break down the mRNA like it's supposed to.

jen1177

I just ran across the below-linked thread on a tinnitus forum. I've had plenty of good reasons for myself to not get a vaccine (including history of anaphylactic shock), but if I hadn't been convinced from my own history, this potential "side effect" would be a clincher.

I got bad tinnitus from a single dose of an anti-nausea medication three years ago, and it's been life altering. Tinnitus is not just a little harmless "ringing in the ears". It can catastrophically upend people's lives in ways that few people without tinnitus are aware of. Some simply can't go on, and commit suicide.

I Got Tinnitus After the Second Shot of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Here's what he said happened to him:

"The high pitch sound is really bad... day 1 after receiving the vaccine, I had flu like symptoms which is normal, fever, headache and body ache. Then 2nd day, I had buzzing sound on both ears and now have high pitch sound. On the early onset, the tinnitus is 5/10 and 9/10 high pitch. -- I took Prednisone for 7 days. No improvement but it got worse."​
Here's one of the replies on that thread:

"How bad is it? And I have heard some people getting tinnitus from COVID-19 vaccines."​
..............................................................................................
BTW, this information on tinnitus is not at all surprising to me. Vaccines are known to be able to induce various kinds of brain and/or neurological damage, which can then easily bring on a tinnitus situation (syndrome?). Tinnitus is a complex condition where there's a lot of disrupted neurological interplay between the brain and the ears.

Also, I've noticed a lot of similarities between ME/CFS and tinnitus. Whereas tinnitus involves some kind of faulty interplay between the brain and the auditory system, ME/CFS often involves--generally speaking--some kind of faulty interplay between the brain and the immune system, the brain and the endocrine system, and the brain and the neurological system.

Well, this is terrifying. :) I already have pretty bad tinnitus. It started sometime when I was a small child as I have no memory of not having this high pitched hissy ringing in my ears. It suddenly got worse after I had a barium swallow test to diagnose stomach issues about 6 months ago. It's extremely annoying. If it gets any worse I don't know what I'd do. I can live with it now but it's exhausting. I've also read that tinnitus actually never lets the brain fully relax which impacts sleep quality.

Well, this is terrifying. :) I already have pretty bad tinnitus. It started sometime when I was a small child as I have no memory of not having this high pitched hissy ringing in my ears. It suddenly got worse after I had a barium swallow test to diagnose stomach issues about 6 months ago. It's extremely annoying. If it gets any worse I don't know what I'd do. I can live with it now but it's exhausting. I've also read that tinnitus actually never lets the brain fully relax which impacts sleep quality.
@jen1177 I’ve had non stop tinnitus for at least 15 years. It’s louder when I’m tired. Over the years I’ve adapted to it and only noticed it when it gets louder or when I get several tones going at once. I got my 1st Moderna shot 3 days ago and it hasn’t affected my tinnitus at all. I would be much more afraid of what getting COVID could do as they know now that COVID can cause brain damage among other things.

Wayne

Rick Noack
March 11, 2021 at 9:47 a.m. CST

Denmark and Norway suspend AstraZeneca covid vaccine over blood clot concerns, even as European regulator maintains it is safe

BERLIN — Danish and Norwegian authorities said Thursday that they have temporarily suspended the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, citing concerns over a possible association with blood clots, even as the European Union's regulator found no evidence that the vaccine is unsafe.​
“We are engaged in the largest and most important vaccination rollout in Danish history. And right now, we need all the vaccine doses we can get,” said Soren Brostrom, director of the Danish National Board of Health, in a statement on Thursday. “It is, therefore, not an easy decision to pause vaccination with one of the vaccines. However, because we vaccinate so many people, we also need to react with due diligence when we learn of possible and severe side effects.”​

bensmith

I decided im going to wait. My long haul buddy said its a shit show in norman where i live. He said they have no idea what they are doing, they just randomly throw in amounnts of vax per salien. Sometimes they have given people just salien...tf.

Also, they had 5 people with serious reactions. One had to get cpr.

godlovesatrier

Got my jab on Sunday. Had full viral symptoms overnight, very painful but just shows you how bad the virus must be if our immune systems react this way to it. I had aches and pains the next day and now (day 3) I do feel a lot better, but have fatigue, dizziness and a little nausea. But I am able to compensate with bcaa tablets and some of the herbal remedies I always use to get by. If these don't work I know that there's a bigger problem.

I have a friend with FM and ME who had the exact same response I did, full virus symptoms for 48 hours in her case, so a bit worse than me. Interestingly she's more severe than I am, so that sort of makes sense.

I had the Astra zeneca vaccine, didn't have a choice at the vaccination centre. But was pleased to get one instead of nothing.

Wayne

The below link is a new thread on a tinnitus forum. It seems more and more clear to me the danger to the ears from the COVID vaccines is "relatively" significant.

Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL) After Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Here's the introduction:

I’ve been running the US’s largest and most successful volunteer website to help WA residents directly book COVID-19 vaccines (COVIDWa.com) so it was incredibly ironic that the morning after my 2nd dose of Moderna I began to lose my hearing in one ear. Within 3 days I couldn’t hear anything.​
After a week on Prednisone & Valtrex I regained functional hearing but was left with 30-50 dB loss above 6 kHz and ringing at 11 kHz at 40% volume. I feel lucky that my ENT co-authored the Clinical Practice Guidelines for SSHL but as I sit in session #7 of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy without any improvement I’m starting to run out of options.​

Booble

I'm struggling with deciding what to do. I want to get the vaccine because I want to do my part to eradicate this pandemic and I want to protect myself as well.
But here I am playing through these things:

- I believe allergic to PEG (at least when applied externally) that's in Pfizer
- I was hoping for the J&J but I had a bleeding issue with my virus in Dec/Jan2020 getting many petechiae and pupura
- Moderna -- do I want to add to my tinnitus?

I'm open to advice....

I'm struggling with deciding what to do. I want to get the vaccine because I want to do my part to eradicate this pandemic and I want to protect myself as well.
But here I am playing through these things:

- I believe allergic to PEG (at least when applied externally) that's in Pfizer
- I was hoping for the J&J but I had a bleeding issue with my virus in Dec/Jan2020 getting many petechiae and pupura
- Moderna -- do I want to add to my tinnitus?

I'm open to advice....
@Booble The Moderna also has PEG - PEG is an inactive ingredient used in many products including ibuprofen - here’s a list https://www.drugs.com/inactive/polyethylene-glycol-177.html
If I thought I might have a true allergy to it I would consult my doctor for advice on taking the vaccine.

As for tinnitus with Moderna, I’ve had chronic non stop tinnitus for 20 years and my Moderna shots did not make it any worse.

Hope this helps.

Booble

@Booble The Moderna also has PEG - PEG is an inactive ingredient used in many products including ibuprofen - here’s a list https://www.drugs.com/inactive/polyethylene-glycol-177.html
If I thought I might have a true allergy to it I would consult my doctor for advice on taking the vaccine.

As for tinnitus with Moderna, I’ve had chronic non stop tinnitus for 20 years and my Moderna shots did not make it any worse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this. I used to be a big Advil taker so that would be good news.

I'm not seeing polyethylene glycol in the Advil ingredients. Are you sure about that? Or does it go by another name?

Advil Tablets
acetylated monoglycerides, colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, methylparaben, microcrystalline cellulose, pharmaceutical glaze, pharmaceutical ink, povidone, pregelatinized starch, propylparaben, sodium benzoate, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, sucrose, synthetic iron oxide, titanium dioxide, white wax

Advil Caplets
acetylated monoglycerides, colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, methylparaben, microcrystalline cellulose, pharmaceutical glaze, pharmaceutical ink, povidone, pregelatinized starch, propylparaben, sodium benzoate, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, sucrose, synthetic iron oxide, titanium dioxide, white wax

Advil Gel Caplets
colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, FD&C red no. 40, FD&C yellow no. 6, fractionated coconut oil, gelatin, glycerin, hypromellose, pharmaceutical ink, pregelatinized starch, propyl gallate, purified water, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, synthetic iron oxides, titanium dioxide, triacetin

Hip

When making a vaccination decision, I think one thing that we might consider the possible very long term effects of catching SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

I don't mean long COVID, which can appear immediately after an infection with coronavirus. Rather, I mean a coronavirus-induced illness that might potentially manifest years or even decades after you caught this virus.

There are historical precedents of pandemics triggering chronic diseases which will only manifest many years or decades after catching an acute infection during the pandemic.

In the 1918 Spanish H1N1 influenza pandemic, for example, which infected one third of the world's population and killed 50 million, some survivors years later developed a neurological disease called encephalitis lethargica, an illness which transformed victims into "living statues" who could barely move. There were about a million cases of encephalitis lethargica appearing, some not manifesting until as late as the 1930s — a good decade after the 1918 pandemic.

In the case of the polio epidemics of the past (now eradicated in the West because of vaccines), some children caught poliovirus and got poliomyelitis, but survived. But it seems the virus may have remained living in a dormant state in these polio survivors, because decades later, when they got older, some of these survivors developed an ME/CFS-like condition called post-polio syndrome.

So it is not beyond the realms of possibility that people who caught coronavirus and got over it, and did not get long COVID, may nevertheless potentially still be hit with a coronavirus-induced disease years or decades later.

Indeed, these disease triggering effects of viruses are not limited to pandemics, but also involve ordinary viruses in circulation: for example, you may catch EBV in your 20s, and then in you 40s it triggers multiple sclerosis.

At the moment there is not much to indicate coronavirus will cause very long term issues, so those who've caught coronavirus should not be unduly concerned.

However, the case of encephalitis lethargica has been on the minds of COVID-19 researchers, not least because of the high number of COVID patients who develop neurological symptoms: over 80% of COVID patients in hospital had neurologic manifestations.

So these unknown very long term effects of coronavirus might perhaps be one more consideration in people's vaccine decisions. There are very slight risks to getting a vaccine (and those risks may be higher in people with extreme frailty, or previous allergic responses to vaccination). But there may also be risks of not getting a vaccination, if you catch coronavirus and years later it starts causing health issues.

Booble

Absolutely, @Hip.
I'm in a lucky position where I can take a little extra time to decide which one. There's virtually no COVID-19 right now where I live and I haven't been inside a public area in more than a year. (Nice hubby does the grocery shopping, I do the cooking. We have it down to a science now.)

Thanks for this. I used to be a big Advil taker so that would be good news.

I'm not seeing polyethylene glycol in the Advil ingredients. Are you sure about that? Or does it go by another name?

Advil Tablets

Advil Caplets

Advil Gel Caplets
colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, FD&C red no. 40, FD&C yellow no. 6, fractionated coconut oil, gelatin, glycerin, hypromellose, pharmaceutical ink, pregelatinized starch, propyl gallate, purified water, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, synthetic iron oxides, titanium dioxide, triacetin
Don’t know? It was listed on the above Drugs.com link. Here’s another link - it’s in a lot of laxatives. https://www.healthgrades.com/drugs/medicines-with/polyethylene-glycol-3350

Wayne

New post on a tinnitus forum:

"Wish I had thought to visit TT [Tinnitus Talk] before having the Pfizer vaccine last week. Tinnitus volume gone through the roof 3 days after having it.​
I just can't believe I've not seen anything on the tv news about the vaccine worsening T in the last few months. Yet doing a quick internet search this morning I found article after article mentioning it with numerous comments from people saying they either had T for the first time or their T had worsened after vaccination. Reported to Yellow Card and hoping it's a spike rather than permanent increase."​