• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Had a look for a European supplier of potato starch that hasn't been heated above 140 degrees F, or whatever the magic number is...

I contacted Surya Foods about their Island Sun brand. A comment on the Free The Animal blog said they had confirmed this was raw. However, the chap on the phone said he didn't know the temperature because they simply repackage it.

Another member posted here that Rakusen heat their potato starch to 80 degrees C (176 F?).

I don't know if anyone has confirmed the temperature Kocken's potato starch is heated to.

DO-IT, a Dutch company, said their potato starch "has been heated with temperatures of around 150 degrees during drying." I got their details from Realfoods.co.uk, who sell this as their organic potato starch. They sell 1kg for £4.68, which is a fair bit cheaper than the prices I can find Bob's Red Mill for here.

I have compared the DO-IT and Bob's side-by-side in a glass of water, and they behaved similarly. Now I am past the headaches I don't seem to have much reaction to the Bob's starch, so I probably won't notice whether the other works or not.

Ocado stock a lot of Bob's Red Mill stuff, but no potato starch unfortunately...

Ocado stock Kocken's Potatismjol (search under 'potato flour' but it's actually potato starch). It has 80 cals/100g and settles like concrete at the bottom of a glass of water until you stir it, both of which things confirm it's potato starch. I've been using it all year.

One reviewer on the Ocado site is using it to starch her sheets!

jepps

Very interesting report from a user with IBS, who did profit from RS and berberine, and PHD:

http://www.judytsafrirmd.com/gaps-protocol-gaps-diet-gaps-and-safe-starches-massachussetts

I did the gaps diet for like two years. It focused perfectly on removing the foods I couldn’t tolerate, starches via potatoes and grains and also disaccharides. If I ate these foods I got loose stools and diarrhea. But ultimately I don’t think it was actually healing the problem. There are parasites that can cause this problem. There is no info on this fact in scd or gaps books. It will not necessarily go away from the diet. Symptoms subsided on the diet but even after many months a slip would cause misery.

I’m thankful some people have gotten well using gaps but many people end up on it for years just keeping symtoms under control. That was not acceptable to me. I don’t think it needs to take that long and in many cases never occur. I am an herbalist and nutritionist so I searched for helps to speed healing. What ended up doing the trick for me was berberine. It is a chemical constituent of bitter herbs like barberry and goldenseal that have been used to heal dysentery and other intestinal infections for thousands of years. It is a mucous membrane alterative or tonic that doesn’t directly kill microbes but corrects the immune functions and mucous secretion in the gut lining. It increases immunoglobulins and macrophages and is highly anti inflammatory. It closes tight junctions. After taking it for just a few days I was able to eat normally for the first time in years. I had to start with a low dose so I could bear the herx symtoms. I took 1/2 capsule of swansons berberine 400 mg capsules and slowly increased every 5 days or so up to 1 1/2 caps. That has been a couple years ago and I’m still doing well. Maybe I had giardiasis or something who knows. I couldn’t get doctors to take me very seriously just kept telling me I had IBS and testing is very unreliable. People go on for years with negative results often before it is discovered. I don’t like taking toxic drugs anyway. Berberine is awesome and I’d highly recommend a try for anyone with intestinal problems.

I agree that gaps is too low carb. The only significant carb sources are fruit and winter squash maybe. Even winter squash is not very high carb. You have to eat a lot to get much. Fruit is high sugar not a great choice to eat a lot of. It just doesn’t stick with you and sustain you like starches do. The gaps diet did take a toll on my energy, and adrenal status.

Another important aspect about starches that is being discovered is their resistant starch content that feeds microbes in the gut that produce short chain fatty acids butyrate, propionate and acetate which are the primary food and fuel for the colonocytes and is highly anti inflammatory. They are very impotant for health and for building a healthy microbiota. I am so much healthier since I got starches back in my diet.

I understand that there is a point at which you can’t tolerate starches. But the sooner you can the better. For a lot of people gaps is just alleviating symptoms I believe. That is better than nothing but I believe it is not an ideal or healthy diet and itself will cause problems if followed for a long time. My advice would be use it because it is an improvement over active ibd but work diligently to speed healing and get off it. Try berberine and mucous membrane tonic herbs and supps like glutamine

Here is more info about berberine: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ve-been-looking-for.26976/page-95#post-495274

What is berberine: http://www.raysahelian.com/berberine.html

Berberine is a plant alkaloid isolated from the roots and bark of several herbs. Some of these herbs include:

Barberry (Berberis vulgaris), Berberis integerrima. Berbamine and berberine are found in the plant barberry.
Coptis chinensis or Berberis aristata
Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis)
Oregon Grape (Berberis aquifolium)
Phellodendron Amurense
Yerba mansa (Anemopsis californica).

The berberine alkaloid can be found in the roots, rhizomes, stem, and bark of the plants. Berberine-containing plants are used medicinally in many traditional medical systems, including Ayurvedicherbal and Chinese herbal medicine.

Coptis chinensis rhizome -- Golden Thread -- Huang Lian -- Intense yellow color most likely due to high content of berberine, which is very bitter in taste.

Benefits
Some people claim berberine is useful for fungal, candida, yeast, parasites, bacterial and viral infections. Berberine extracts and decoctions have demonstrated antimicrobial activity against a variety of organisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoans, helminths, and chlamydia. Currently, the predominant clinical uses of berberine include bacterial diarrhea, intestinal parasite infections, and ocular trachoma infections.
Berberine has been tested in diabetes, prostate cancer, cardiac arrhythmia and leukemia.

Last edited:

Star-Anise

Hi all! Looking for some recommendations re: use of Larch.

I have been benefiting greatly for some months on Bob's Red Mills Potato Starch - about 5 tsp/day spread throughout day.

Despite the benefits which seem to be in my lower intenstines, I still would have problems when I would eat certain carbohydrates in my small intestinal area - bloating, gas, pain. I thought about looking into possibility of SIBO.

I found great benefit with the Garden of Life probiotic with their Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSOs). I ran out about a week ago, and around that time I thought I would try to introduce small amounts of larch to see if it helped with SIBO.

At first, I really noticed a nice relaxing feeling in my small intestine (started with 1/4 tsp of larch), and my gut/brain symptoms seemed to benefit with increased positive emotions, & clearer head. But after a few days of trying to supplement, now all I have is terrible gas pain & bloating that starts about 4-5 hours after I supplement. As well today, I'm far more lethargic and have a headache, which is rare for me.

Obviously I'm going to decrease or eliminate for the time being the larch. I also am going to start up on the probiotics again - ordered from iHerb, so should have soon.

However, any advice? Any feedback from other people's experience with Larch, and/or treating SIBO?

THANKS all! & Happy holidays :)

S

Sidereal

Hi all! Looking for some recommendations re: use of Larch.

I have been benefiting greatly for some months on Bob's Red Mills Potato Starch - about 5 tsp/day spread throughout day.

Despite the benefits which seem to be in my lower intenstines, I still would have problems when I would eat certain carbohydrates in my small intestinal area - bloating, gas, pain. I thought about looking into possibility of SIBO.

I found great benefit with the Garden of Life probiotic with their Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSOs). I ran out about a week ago, and around that time I thought I would try to introduce small amounts of larch to see if it helped with SIBO.

At first, I really noticed a nice relaxing feeling in my small intestine (started with 1/4 tsp of larch), and my gut/brain symptoms seemed to benefit with increased positive emotions, & clearer head. But after a few days of trying to supplement, now all I have is terrible gas pain & bloating that starts about 4-5 hours after I supplement. As well today, I'm far more lethargic and have a headache, which is rare for me.

Obviously I'm going to decrease or eliminate for the time being the larch. I also am going to start up on the probiotics again - ordered from iHerb, so should have soon.

However, any advice? Any feedback from other people's experience with Larch, and/or treating SIBO?

THANKS all! & Happy holidays :)

S

Hi @Star-Anise, there's been lots of discussion about larch on this thread. I would recommend doing a google site search for larch or LAG. Some people have benefitted, others not. As usual, no blanket advice can be given because of the heterogeneity of this condition which results in us reacting differently to different interventions. Sorry, I know this is vague and not what you were hoping to hear.

jepps

Hello Star-Anise, I´m also profiting from RS and LAG.
Until now I can say: two steps forward, one step back. Sometimes I have increasing inflammation, then I feel better than before. My diagnosis show, that I´m detoxing candida and amalgame, so I understand times of inflammation.
I also take SBO´s and several probiotics. According to SIBO, here users post about their experiences:
http://chriskresser.com/sibo-what-causes-it-and-why-its-so-hard-to-treat

Regards, jepps

Last edited:

jepps

Study about RS, gut flora and liver metabolism:

http://www.fasebj.org/content/28/1_...-urls=yes&legid=fasebj;28/1_Supplement/822.13

Resistant starch (RS) is a fermentable dietary fiber shown to alter gut hormones and modify the gut microbiome. Because RS impacts the gut microbiota, we hypothesize that RS changes gut-derived signals reaching the liver by altering the gut microbiota and, in turn altering liver metabolism. To assess the effects of RS on the liver metabolome under obesogenic conditions, male C57Bl/6J mice were fed a 45% fat diet for 10 weeks supplemented with type 2 RS (10% by wt) or maltodextrin (n=15/group). As expected, increased cecal weights (by 55%, p<0.001) and significant changes in the cecal microbiome were observed. At the phylum level there was an increase in Bacteroidetes (by 53%, p<0.001) and decrease in Firmicutes (by 52%, p<0.001) in the RS-fed group. Despite no differences in food intake, adiposity, liver weights and liver triglycerides, RS mice displayed markedly altered liver metabolites, in particular reduced liver amino acids (reduced 15-52% for all measured amino acids except Gln), creatinine (by 40%, p<0.001) and urea (by 28%, p<0.001). These metabolites were equivalent in RS plasma vs. controls, suggesting that RS effects were due to changes specific to liver AA biochemistry or transport, and not simply due to lower blood AA. Reductions in these nitrogenous metabolites by RS may have implications in the dietary treatment of chronic kidney disease, and should provide important clues about gut-derived signaling pathways that impact the liver.

Last edited:

jepps

and another study about immunity and RS/prebiotics:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23280537

2013 Oct;27(10):1457-73. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4901. Epub 2012 Dec 27.
Prebiotics to fight diseases: reality or fiction?
Di Bartolomeo F1, Startek JB, Van den Ende W.
Author information

Abstract
Bacteria living in the gastrointestinal tract are crucial for human health and disease occurrence. Increasing the beneficial intestinal microflora by consumption of prebiotics, which are 'functional foods', could be an elegant way to limit the number and incidence of disorders and to recover from dysbiosis or antibiotic treatments. This review focuses on the short-chain low-digestible carbohydrates (LDCs) which are metabolized by gut microbiota serving as energy source, immune system enhancers or facilitators of mineral uptake. Intake of foods containing LDCs can improve the state of health and may prevent diseases as for example certain forms of cancer. Given the large number of different molecules belonging to LDCs, we focused our attention on fructans (inulin, fructo-oligosaccharides), galacto-oligosaccharides and resistant starches and their therapeutic and protective applications. Evidence is accumulating that LDCs can inhibit bacterial and viral infections by modulating host defense responses and by changing the interactions between pathogenic and beneficial bacteria. Animal studies and studies on small groups of human subjects suggest that LDCs might help to counteract colorectal cancer, diabetes and metabolic syndrome. The action mechanisms of LDCs in the human body might be broader than originally thought, perhaps also including reactive oxygen species scavenging and signaling events.

aaron_c

Hi Yall,

I apologize that I have not had the time to read through this whole thread. But I read enough to check out Animal Pharm. In particular, I read Part 2: Don't Take Resistant Starch RPS Alone High Dose; Real Whole Food RS3 Greatly Expands the Lean and Immunoprotective Core Microbiota. This seemed to indicate that I should take RS3 with RS2.

I have tried two things so far: First, for maybe a week or so I took a tablespoon of unmodified potato starch (Bob's Red Mill) with each meal. But not much happened, particularly in terms of being able to eat more protein without feeling weird (fuzzy and miserable) in the way that I recognize as very probably ammonia-related.

So I started cooking some of the unmodified potato starch in oil, and taking 1 teaspoon of the regular unmodified potato starch with two teaspoons of the cooked and cooled stuff with each meal. That has sure worked! I can now eat as much protein as I like! Also, I am maybe 80% sure that it initially gave me insomnia, which was fixed by lowering my dose of biotin from 5000 mcg per day down to 150 mcg or so.

I should also mention that I have taken a few caps of Prescript Assist Probiotic (maybe five, total). Interestingly, I had to take it in the morning, or it would cause insomnia...although more of the kind that I associate with not enough glutamine or taurine.

As anyone else had success with this? My apologies if this has been covered already.

PS: I also take a spoonful of psillium husk after meals. I took this with both the uncooked unmodified potato starch and when I started cooking some of it.

PPS: Somewhat Imprecise Directions for Cooking Potato Starch:

1. Put maybe four cups unmodified potato starch in a pot (I am aiming to have it all fit in a quart mason jar at the end) along with enough oil so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan and so that it stirs easily. It ends up being a fair amount of oil. I use high-monounsaturated sunflower oil, as it has a neutral taste and remains liquid in the refrigerator, but one time I used olive oil and once I used ghee. Olive oil tastes bitter, and the ghee became hard in the refrigerator, and I didn't want to put it on the stove to heat it up, lest I break down the RS3.

2. Cook at a lowish temperature (the "simmer" setting, or possibly a little more) for anywhere between ten to thirty minutes. If the bottom gets burned or browned, then you've cooked it too hot or for too long.

3. Once it has cooled on the stove for a little while, I put it through a metal sieve, which strains out hard bits that seem to attach to each other as it cools. This isn't essential, but I prefer it.

4. Store it in the refrigerator for 24 hours (or less?), and you are set! If I have used enough oil in the cooking, there will be a layer of oil on top of the potato starch maybe a couple of millimeters thick. Although I think the lack of this mostly means that you had more hard bits to strain out.

Honestly, I just set out to heat up some potato starch like a cooked potato. I didn't want to cook it in water because I saw discussion about how cooking releases water from the RS matrix and I didn't know if cooking it in water would fail to produce RS3. So I cooked it in oil. Which is all to say that you may not need to follow these directions at all.

Last edited:

Sidereal

In the last couple of months I've had some unexpected success in reducing the inflammatory response to the various prebiotics I've been experimenting with. Instead of taking PS on its own I started combining it with psyllium. I thought psyllium was just a bulking agent of no particular interest to what we're trying to achieve here with microbiome modification but I now see that it was hypothesised in the paleo community that it shuttles RS2 to the distal colon instead of it just burning up more proximally. I don't know if this is an accurate explanation for what happened to me but after a couple of weeks of doing my usual cautious low doses of RS (now combined with psyllium) I noticed that my tolerance to RS was dramatically improved to the point where I could no longer feel anything from taking it. I freaked out initially thinking it had somehow lost its effectiveness because in the past any gains from RS happened only in the context of marked inflammation; I had not been able to dissociate the two. After weeks of useless flailing around I decided to try a huge dose of RS to see what would happen. It worked again. I also got the usual gout symptoms and some mild intermittent malaise but that's about it in terms of side effects.

To summarise, after adding psyllium I was able to increase my dosage of PS from one teaspoon every few days to several heaped teaspoons without getting flattened with a systemic flu-like reaction. I believe this indicates an improvement in intestinal permeability and therefore less LPS translocation to other tissues. This improved tolerance happened practically overnight after several months of being able to take only trivial doses of RS (nowhere near the therapeutic doses used in trials) without feeling like a cytokine storm was happening.

To my surprise I'm now also able to take GOS occasionally which was previously completely intolerable even at a tiny dose. GOS, being the most specifically bifidogenic prebiotic I know of, initially caused severe inflammation, gut pain, low mood/irritability etc. before I had done any substantial work on my gut. I can now also tolerate direct supplementation with B. infantis better than before.

The other thing that has helped my gut was introducing RS3 into my diet (cooked and cooled potatoes, rice and root vegetables every day) which I only did several months into my RS2 experiment. I am able to tolerate more foods now. Prior to that I was eating a somewhat carb restricted diet (~100-150g/day) for about a year after transitioning from 18 months on a VLC ketogenic diet which tore my gut to shreds and resulted in autoimmune and mast cell activation issues on top of pre-existing ME/CFS.

All kinds of interesting symptoms shifts are still happening with various prebiotics. I'm currently experimenting with bitter melon, a TCM prebiotic which appears to be effective for expanding F. prausnitzii and lowering Proteobacteria in the gut. It's too early to judge its effectiveness but it's definitely doing something.

Many of my symptoms including general malaise, cognitive function, PEM and OI have improved over the 8 months of working on the critters but despite a noticeable improvement in the overall quality of life, functional impairment remains essentially the same. I had been functioning at a level of 7 (working full time with difficulty) for a number of years before crashing virtually overnight in 2012 and ending up mostly bedridden. Although I am doing much better these days, I'm still basically confined to my house and nothing I do seems to touch the core symptom of extremely low energy production and rapid fatiguability. I am not sure how energy production could be so profoundly affected by microbial populations in the colon. I know many people who have severe IBS and IBD but are able to function in the world. I personally had much more serious gut symptoms in the early years of my illness when I had relatively mild functional impairment. I know that overt gut symptoms are not a great way of gauging what's going on but I still feel like we're missing some important piece of the puzzle. I don't have any pre- and post-treatment CPET data but I would say that my anaerobic threshold remains unchanged. I still "hit the wall" after the same amount of aerobic activity as before. Walking across the car park, for instance, I notice running out of energy at basically the same spot as always, it's uncanny. Having said that, that same amount of activity results in much less PEM than before the RS, which is not to be sniffed at.

jepps

Sidereal, do you address methylation? Amy Nett (gut-therapeuth) writes:

Methylation is an incredibly complex topic, but there is a connection between methylation and gut issues, and often, both of these need to be addressed. More specifically, if impaired methylation is present, and not addressed, this may limit the body’s detoxification and elimination, making it difficult to treat SIBO. So in that sense, impaired methylation may make SIBO more difficult to treat.

You can also look at how SIBO or dysbiosis may affect methylation. These gut issues may lead to nutrient deficiencies, including B vitamin deficiencies which can then slow methylation.

It’s a complex interplay, and most often both SIBO and methylation should be addressed, particularly if there is a known genetic predisposition to impaired methylation.

And do you address the outcoming infections with herbs like berberine or olive tree extract? We should also address the biofilms with enzymes. This works - after taking the enzymes according to Gestalts thread (thanks, Gestalt!), I detoxified mucus with my stool for several months.

With addressed methylation and addressing the gut you are detoxing metals, this can take a longer time than 8 months. My metal test shows outcoming metals, resulting from dying candida+parasites, since 7 months I´m detoxing candida (according to lab) Mostly the candida is situated deep in the layers of the gut and organs. It can take a long time to mobilize it from there, maybe a year or longer.

You make progress, so your gut will heal. If we were born with the candida, or more worse with the candida-strep-connection (see here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC174431/), we solve a lifetime problem with addressing the gut. Candida+Parasites live in the liver and upper intestine, they have a deep impact in our energy.

As vegas posted: when immunity is better, we are detoxifying more, and with chronic inflammation our toxic burden has been overloaded. As you have less symptomes with detoxification, your stability increases, and this is the right way to normality.

Regards, jepps

Last edited:

Sidereal

Sidereal, do you address methylation? Amy Nett (gut-therapeuth) writes:

And do you address the outcoming infections with herbs like berberine or olive tree extract? We should also address the biofilms with enzymes. This works - after taking the enzymes according to Gestalts thread (thanks, Gestalt!), I detoxified mucus wuth my stool for several months.

With addressed methylation and addressing the gut you are detoxing metals, this can take a longer time thaan 8 months. My metal test shows outcoming metals, resulting from dying candida+parasites, since 7 months I´m detoxing candida (according to lab) Mostly the candida is situated deep in the layers of the gut and organs. It can take a long time to mobilize it from there, maybe a year or longer.

You make progress, so your gut will heal. If we were born with the candida, or more worse with the candida-strep-connection (see here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC174431/), we solve a lifetime problem with addressing the gut. Candida+Parasites live in the liver and upper intestine, they have a deep impact in our energy.

As vegas posted: when immunity is better, we are detoxifying more, and with chronic inflammation our toxic burden has been overloaded. As you have less symptomes with detoxification, your stability increases, and this is the right way to normality.

Regards, jepps

Agreed, it's a long-term project, no question about that.

To address your points, I believe methylation is a misguided approach. I know these protocols are very popular around here so apologies if this offends anybody but I think that of the reams and reams of stuff written about methylation on the internet, most of it makes no sense and simply cannot be so. Most of the SNPs talked about in the alternative medicine community are very common variants. I don't see how they could be playing a major causal role in the modern epidemics of ME/CFS, autism, ADHD, depression, neurodegenerative disorders, autoimmunity and all the other diseases attributed to methylation. I think it is more likely that methylation problems are downstream of the real problem with dysbiosis, infections and intestinal permeability.

I tend to be skeptical of most claims of "detoxification". Reading the various methylation forums it seems to me that much of the time what people attribute to detox is actually a sign of enhanced immune response and resulting inflammation. For people who are not very sick this approach may work out sometimes but for the rest of us the problem is never going to go away unless you fix the gut which is an endless reservoir of LPS and other toxins that will just keep getting recycled to your liver forever unless you can find a way to plug the leaks and keep that stuff out of the systemic circulation.

Having said that, detoxification is occurring, no doubt. Like you, the amount of stuff that has come out of my body while doing the gut protocol has been staggering. I have no problem believing that a huge amount of infections and metabolic waste products can accumulate while we're in a very low energy state for so long. I view ME/CFS as a vicious cycle of sorts. It seems incredibly difficult to break out of it once the body has downregulated to a horrible low level of functioning, a new homeostasis of sorts.

I had a look at berberine a while ago and decided against it on the basis of this paper. There are much better prebiotics out there.

aaron_c

Most of the SNPs talked about in the alternative medicine community are very common variants. I don't see how they could be playing a major causal role in the modern epidemics of ME/CFS, autism, ADHD, depression, neurodegenerative disorders, autoimmunity and all the other diseases attributed to methylation. I think it is more likely that methylation problems are downstream of the real problem with dysbiosis, infections and intestinal permeability.

Hi Sidereal,

Just as a point of clarification, not all methylation-type theories rely on genetics (which, I agree, doesn't yet seem to have borne as much fruit as many had hoped). In Rich van Konynenburg's theory, the methylation cycle block is brought on by a depletion of glutathione, which as I understand it is needed to protect B12 from oxidation among many other things. In the trial of his "simplified methylation protocol," that he talks about in the Sweden lectures, he says that out of 30 people two were cured entirely while eight or nine showed marked improvement. Which is to say that, toxicity cases aside (which I do not believe he treated in any special way in this trial), his theory doesn't seem to be complete enough for most of us. But it seems inaccurate to toss it out based on the discussion around SNPs.

Obviously, methylation dysfunction could still be a downstream effect of gut dysbiosis. I have definitely benefited from RS, and whether "gut medicine" turns out to be the lynchpin or simply a piece of the puzzle, I look forward to learning more.

Lou

Hi Yall,

I apologize that I have not had the time to read through this whole thread. But I read enough to check out Animal Pharm. In particular, I read Part 2: Don't Take Resistant Starch RPS Alone High Dose; Real Whole Food RS3 Greatly Expands the Lean and Immunoprotective Core Microbiota. This seemed to indicate that I should take RS3 with RS2.

I have tried two things so far: First, for maybe a week or so I took a tablespoon of unmodified potato starch (Bob's Red Mill) with each meal. But not much happened, particularly in terms of being able to eat more protein without feeling weird (fuzzy and miserable) in the way that I recognize as very probably ammonia-related.

So I started cooking some of the unmodified potato starch in oil, and taking 1 teaspoon of the regular unmodified potato starch with two teaspoons of the cooked and cooled stuff with each meal. That has sure worked! I can now eat as much protein as I like! Also, I am maybe 80% sure that it initially gave me insomnia, which was fixed by lowering my dose of biotin from 5000 mcg per day down to 150 mcg or so.

I should also mention that I have taken a few caps of Prescript Assist Probiotic (maybe five, total). Interestingly, I had to take it in the morning, or it would cause insomnia...although more of the kind that I associate with not enough glutamine or taurine.

As anyone else had success with this? My apologies if this has been covered already.

PS: I also take a spoonful of psillium husk after meals. I took this with both the uncooked unmodified potato starch and when I started cooking some of it.

Hi aaron_c,

Please tell us what oil you cooked unmodified potato starch in and for how long.

Sidereal

Hi Sidereal,

Just as a point of clarification, not all methylation-type theories rely on genetics (which, I agree, doesn't yet seem to have borne as much fruit as many had hoped). In Rich van Konynenburg's theory, the methylation cycle block is brought on by a depletion of glutathione, which as I understand it is needed to protect B12 from oxidation among many other things. In the trial of his "simplified methylation protocol," that he talks about in the Sweden lectures, he says that out of 30 people two were cured entirely while eight or nine showed marked improvement. Which is to say that, toxicity cases aside (which I do not believe he treated in any special way in this trial), his theory doesn't seem to be complete enough for most of us. But it seems inaccurate to toss it out based on the discussion around SNPs.

Obviously, methylation dysfunction could still be a downstream effect of gut dysbiosis. I have definitely benefited from RS, and whether "gut medicine" turns out to be the lynchpin or simply a piece of the puzzle, I look forward to learning more.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks. I'm familiar with Rich's (RIP) work and have a great deal of respect for him. I've pursued the SMP and other methylation protocols in the past with predictable outcome. My post wasn't intended to be a comprehensive critique.

By the way, if you look at test results people post on these forums, you generally do not see a depletion of glutathione but rather low reduced glutathione and high oxidised glutathione. This is a non-specific finding in many chronic illness states. To my mind it's an indication of abnormal redox status in cells which then raises the question of how to deal with the oxidative stress. I don't see how adding more methyl donors is going to solve the problem for most people in this situation.

aaron_c

@Lou: Thank you for that nudge. I've edited my post above. Hope that helps.

@Sidereal: Thanks for the clarification. I don't want to go off-topic onto the pros/cons of methylation, so I will just say that I have a better understanding of where you are coming from.

jepps

Sidereal, according to my doctor, I have increased metal and overall detox since addressing methylation (but with side effects), and since further addressing the gut with RS+prebiotics I´m detoxing yet more metals with less side effects, so I assume, it´s a good programme. But this is very individual. Thank you for the berberine paper, very interesting:). Regards, jepps

Vegas

In the last couple of months I've had some unexpected success in reducing the inflammatory response to the various prebiotics I've been experimenting with. Instead of taking PS on its own I started combining it with psyllium.

Thank you for your insights. The reduction of inflammatory symptoms is precisely what I am looking for, and such an observation is invaluable to me. I've continued to make inroads in this regard, and I think diminishing the inflammatory response is truly how gains in your fatigue will ultimately be achieved. In my estimation, you are at an earlier junction in the process; I will tell you from personal experience that the gains in energy that you can utilize will be delayed as the natural processes designed to restore homeostatic conditions progresses.

I still think the energy losses are in large part created by the immune response to lipopolysaccharide in the extra-intestinal tissues. It's not simply about the bacterial translocation but the lack of those organisms that promote an anti-inflammatory response in the bowel and perhaps more importantly, in the reticuloendothelial system. I think I can readily correlate my symptoms with those proven symptoms of endotoxin exposure in humans. Loss of energy and the earlier onset of PEM is a feature of this. Sometimes, as the restorative processes continue without inducement by prebiotics/probiotics, you just have to "ride it out," and recognize that immune response is not within your control and the oxidative consequences of gram-negative bacterial translocation require that you minimize your energy expenditure and cut back on those carbohydrates which are so dramatically altering your microbiota and immune response.

For the benefit of those who haven't dealt with this, when endotoxins are mobilized a downward shift in mood is likely, and one of the consequences is that glutathione will be taxed resulting in earlier fatigability; as Dr. Cheney talks about the losses of energy originating in the liver, but this antioxidant resource is distributed to the skeletal muscles and beyond. One may experience lympathic pain and swelling, cytokine symptoms, sometimes headaches, etc. This is the signature of lipopolysaccharide and it will overpower even your enhanced ability to suppress inflammation. I have experienced a significant decrease in all of these symptoms, but the improvement in fatigue was slower to develop, and it frequently re-appeared along with the other symptoms. It has slowly improved both in intensity and the frequency of these "episodes" of heightened immune activation.

I firmly believe that altering gene expression to limit inflammation through manipulation of the microbiome is clearly achievable, I've made huge gains, including in fatigue and PEM, and food sensitivities, my mood continues to improve, and I only have negligible cognitive symptoms.

The prebiotic compounds that are demonstrating anti-inflammatory properties are also the ones that possess anti-tumor capabilities and modulate T regulatory cells, and they are almost universally plant compounds, rich in polysaccharides, particularly n-linked plant glycans. The idea of stimulating Cluster IV Clostridial organisms with a prebiotic is a sound one. These anaerobes, in addition to being unavailable to the masses, should be "cultured" in the intestinal environment. F. Pruasnitzii, which you mentioned is very intolerant of oxygen and can only survive for a few seconds in O2. Obviously, none of us have a good understanding of exactly what dozens or hundreds of organisms we need, so the prebiotic strategy of throwing down the substrate and providing the resources needed to repopulate sounds considerably more logical to me than probiotic supplementation, although this carries its own benefits.

"I now see that it was hypothesized in the paleo community that it shuttles RS2 to the distal colon instead of it just burning up more proximally." I can't say I understand the mechanism of this, but would like to here a bit more about the specifics. I can think of a number of possibilities, but I suspect it has more to do with providing a new mix of polysaccharides accessible by a new set of microbes that participate in the greater process of inhibiting inflammation.

There is likely a detriment to an over-reliance on resistant starch, or solely using this prebiotic because it is not going to used by a number of key organisms (and their partners) that promote the creation of anti-inflammatory molecules. Fortunately, the human intestinal microbiome is built with incredible microbial redundancy with overlapping capacity to promote the host's survival; this perhaps explain why most people never find themselves in such a quandary of being able to restore immunocompetency. I suspect that those with ME/CFS have much more pervasive disruptions of the intestinal microbiome than many other inflammatory disease processes. There are emerging microbial signatures of a number of these pathological conditions and the metabolomic/genomic tools will soon expand our understanding of these processes.

Given that humans have inhabited diverse ecosystems with equally diverse plant resources for hundreds of thousands of years, it is clear that they have survived and prospered on a variety of different plant materials that optimally promoted the intestinal microbiome. In this regard, it may be that a singular plant resource could sustain a population since most all plant matter includes not a singular type of carbohydrate but a significant number of different polysaccharides.

Some of the earliest humans appear to have consumed wood and bark, and when I look at the microbes that have been identified as those most centrally involved in the induction of anti-inflammatory processes, such as the Treg cells which have the ability to produce anti-inflammatory cytokines, I see a central role for the polysaccharides contained in this resource including, wood, bark, mushrooms and lichen growing on these trees. In other words, the organisms are richly encoded with enzymatic abilities to use these materials.

Amylose/amylopectin (starch) is of course just one part of the potato plant. The outer covering as with other whole plant matter, contains insoluble fiber or cellulose. Starch and the bacterial enzymes needed to access this are very widely distributed among the human microbiome. As far as I can tell, many more organisms can use this more "generic" substrate than some other more specialized carbohydrates that are not only resistant to human digestion but substantially resistant to most microbial degradation. Potato starch is very effective in increasing butyrate concentrations, but there is obviously a larger microbial community that requires support and I think singular supplementation can result in an "unbalanced" immune response. The connotation is not that there is anything wrong with potato starch, but the microbes that support the anti-inflammatory response are not universally able to access this starch, there are other polysaccharides or glycans of importance and I think you have likely accessed some of these by taking psyillium.

The colonic microbiome is completely built around carbohydrate metabolism, in this regard so is the host immune system. The commensal, anaerboic, predominantly gram-positive organisms have special chemical abilities to sever the bonds of these carbohydrates that provide a raw material myriad processes. This resistance to human digestion of course gives these carbohydrates special functional abilities, and it is increasingly becoming clear that these organisms shape the entire immune response in ways that has been under-appreciated.

Theoretically a handful of certain microbes involved in the critical role of dampening inflammation could shut down a host of processes that can inhibit the efficacy of the entire community. The restoration of this system involves not only restoring a group of organisms but a host of incredibly complex and interdependent manufacturing process that keep these communities of microbes thriving in times of scare food resources. Carbohydrates are synthesized and interconverted to keep chemical processes moving that keep us and our microbes alive. Some of these products or byproducts are only made available by a limited number of microbes. This includes some of these special carbohydrates that support these critical pieces of the anti-inflammatory network of microbes that are microbially-converted or hydrolyzed into other forms of polysaccharides that can be used as part of the network thereby obviating the need to consume these in the diet regularly.

I don't have time to go into the depression thing now, but when one looks closely at the microbial metabolism of tryptophan/indoleamine and the interrelationships of the organisms that participate in this he or she can visualize the roles of these organisms in suppressing inflammation and neutralizing the effects of LPS. (I think I previously wrote about indoleamine 2, 3 dioxgenase the rate-limiting enzyme in the tryptophan metabolism via kynurenine and LPS...which is central to modulating the immune response, particularly T-cells.) Anyway, a loss of key tryptophan metabolizer (like non-pathological e. coli) would have effects on those microbes that hydrolyze tryptophan to indole because the concentration of indole in the colon serves to amplify the expression of genes involved in strengthening the mucosal barrier an enhancing mucin biosynthesis.

So, for example, someone might get a great boost in mood from commensal e coli (mutaflor) but without one of the indole metabolic partners, it may have no effect. Their are thousands of these relationships. Without looking at the capabilities of C. Butyricium, (AOR 3) I'm willing to bet this organisms plays a major role in the tryptophan metabolism simply based upon the indole odor that stuff creates. :) This of course is just one more piece of the puzzle; this redundant engineering designed to counter the inflammatory response is exquisitely engineered, but broken, this breakdown centers around the organisms that maintain the intestinal epithelium. In this example, the network of organisms helps restore intestinal barrier function and suppress the peripheral immune response by keeping endotoxins from these extraintestinal tissues that precipitate such a strong pro-inflammatory response.

So psyillium is interesting, I think this fits the equation of expanding that core group of microbes that has collapsed. It is a mucillage, something I happen to be using now. Folks will likely find that this list (types of mucillage rich plants) is pretty well-tolerated. This plant also contains some of the other staple substrates for our anti-inflammatory microbes and their microbial partners. Not psyillium per se, but the structural polysaccharides that compose this plant. I can't say I know anything about psyillium or much about botany, or glycobiology, or chemistry for that matter, but a "husk" certainly means you are consuming structural (vs. storage) polysaccharides, I'm assuming it contains hemicellulose and xylan and it certainly includes some polysaccharides that are "resistant" to human digestion and ecologically preserved for microbial use. Other microbes (see Bifidobacteria) will play a role in making this substrate available.

Chitin is another structural polysaccharide along with cellulose, cellobiose, and then there are hemicelluloses such as, mannans, pectins, and glucuronoarabinoxylans...some of these are both storage and structural polysaccharides. (Honestly, I get confused about the categories of all of these materials, so hopefully I got it right). Still, there is a reason I have been talking about XOS and chitin and cellulose derivatives, and that is because these are the resources that best stimulate the expansion of the counter-inflammatory response. Looking at the organisms that have proven to play a part in inducing an anti-inflammatory response, at least in terms of T-regulatory cell differentiation/function, and their enzymatic capabilities, I think that these storage polysaccharides are the most specific substrate for this community. In fact I've been getting very good results from very modest doses of acetylated mannan from aloe vera, for about two months.

I do suspect the effects of psyillium will be highly variable depending upon such factors as ones "immunocompetency" and his or her's own individual microbial balances. Like other resistant prebiotics, it may need to be taken in very modest quantities, and still in others no appreciable effect, perhaps because this does not contain the "missing" polysaccharides. Nevertheless, I think this is likely to be a helpful addition for many and is worth trying. I'll give it a try after looking to see what is in it.

I'm still looking for that optimal mix/dosage of prebiotics that minimizes the inflammatory response. The evidence that particle size of certain polysaccharides can dramatically influence pro vs. anti-inflammatory response is still very intriguing, and I have to wonder how much of this relates to the ability of these molecules to counteract the proinflammatory response in the periphery. Highly sulfated/acetylated may have a role. I think we are looking at a function of the differences in n-linked glycosylation, which is rare among bacteria, and the plant n-glycans mannan, xylose, NAG, fucose, etc., are likely going to be involved.

Vegas

@Lou: Thank you for that nudge. I've edited my post above. Hope that helps.

@Sidereal: Thanks for the clarification. I don't want to go off-topic onto the pros/cons of methylation, so I will just say that I have a better understanding of where you are coming from.

Briefly, with regard to methylation, I think the evidence based upon study of inflammatory disease demonstrates that this is inhibition of dna methylation is a product of dysbiosis. Inhibiting dna and rna synthesis is the most fundamental way of limiting oxidative stress as it inhibits the life-threatening pro-inflammatory immune response and your own ability to exert yourself creating further damage. In fact, I think there is some pretty compelling research that demonstrates that these processes are downregulated as a result of chronic inflammatory processes and there is actually a researcher who has spent his career on this and I think he has proven that inhibition of these reactions is purposeful. One inflammatory disease process after another is now demonstrating perturbations in the one carbon metabolism, this includes cancer. The one carbon metabolism is built around folate, and our intestinal microbes have the capability to synthesize and block the effects of folate and its methylation micronutrient partner, B12.

The microbial folate synthesizers and folate interconverters sense redox stress and anti-oxidant capacity and downregulates this potent immune activator, accordingly. In other words, they make less folate which has a very specific and powerful effect in stimulating macrophage function, in particular. This is life threatening if you don't have the pro-inflammatory microbial community. Same thing with methylcobalamin, as it has been recently discovered that some of these same colonic anaerobes that dampen inflammation also produce B12. I think this argues against vitamin supplementation because this is self-regulated, just as it is coordinated with the creation of the glycoprotein intrinsic factor necessary for absorption of dietary B12 in the stomach or the effects of reduced zinc absorption created by inhibited ATP transport. I could cite multiple examples of how the immune response is suppressed for obvious functional benefit to the host.

We are looking to act upon methylation and histone acetylation at a more fundamental level. I think we are looking to correct the carboxylic acid metabolism that is dictated by the human intestinal microbiome. This is a complex topic, and one I only have a limited handle on, but I will note that abnormal MCT transport has been discovered in muscle tissue in ME/CFS. Butyrate increases the expression of MCT. These monocarboxylate transporters catalyze the transport of L-lactate and pyruvate across the plasma membrane. They are critical in every process that is important in ME/CFS (and life), including energy synthesis/gluconeogenesis, thyroid function, T-cell activation, etc. The list goes on because these processes of immune regulation and energy biosynthesis are necessarily interconnected.

Butyrate supercharges the glutamine metabolism and reduces lactate concentrations. It has only recently been that butyrate induces T cell differentiation that appears to play a vital role in countering the pro-inflammatory response and suppressing auto-immunity. The imbalance of T-regs/T-helper cells seems to be hallmark feature of inflammatory disease processes to include autoimmunity, cancer, and other inflammatory disease processes. (It also turns out that UVB rays play a key role in T-reg cell differentiation, which I previously stated also oxidizes methyltetrahyrofolate). It is important to note, though, that we need not only short chain fatty acids, but the organisms that synthesize them, and the dozens or more of those that support this. Singular organisms have been found to be ineffective at increasing numbers and function of these largely anti-inflammatory cells.