• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

PDXhausted

I'm a FUT2 non-secretor (rs601338 AA) and trying to understand the fucosylation stuff. I had no growth of bifidobacterium on a CDSA last year, I have CFS and initially felt much better on amoxicillin, but declined considerably after it damaged my gut.

Are we sure that being a non-secretor means that we want to supplement directly with fucose-containing foods? Do bifidobacterium consume the fucose in the food or the fucosylated compound (which it seems I cannot make)? My knowledge of biochemistry is amateur at best, so this might be a dumb question.

Not sure I'll be able to find a wet nurse... :)

Ripley

Can't hurt to eat a little seaweed, but don't go hiring a wet nurse just yet. :)

Should hear more next week. Stay tuned.

adreno

PR activist
Coffeeberry is apparently a source of mannose, galactose, fucose, xylose, arabinose and glucose. Besides this, it's a very powerful antioxidant. This sounds like a great combo, as the antioxidants can counter the oxidative stress from the immune activation.

I might try this, and combine it with shark cartilage. As I already take egg white protein, the combination of coffeeberry and shark cartilage should get me covered in all the glyconutrients.

Ripley

Just need to check something. Can someone quickly tell me if these foods are of any help/relieve with the symptoms/way to recovery?

- sprouted legumes with the roots
- Licorice
- or in fact any of many other legumes:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legume
- okra
- black currant
- bee honey, bee venom
- Lotus, lotus seeds
- sunflower​

Truth is, we aren't so much after fucose per se as we are fucosylated glycans (i.e. proteins, lipids with fucose molecules). Bacteria metabolize glycans (virtually all prebiotics are glycans), which is helpful because the glycosidic bonds that link these sugars to various molecules are indigestible to us (as they should be if we want our flora to access them).

So, bacteria forage on these glycans and they metabolize them into various things for us. And that way the gut bugs can help us both to exploit fucosylated glycans from plants and add it to the mucosa. It needs the adult flora to do that.

Just having fucose in the gut doesn't necessarily mean it will get added to the gut mucosa.

PDXhausted

Thanks for checking into this @Ripley !

Licorice root extract is a component of Equilibrant, which helps a subset of people with CFS. Though, it has many functions, so hard to say whether the glycans are the part that helps.

Lou

@Ripley, I just had a great idea (!)((mediocre ideas come left and right, but this may be my first great one, ever)).

And the simplest thought spurred the whole thing; I wish all this thread information was condensed, perhaps simplified somewhat, and mostly about steps to take and things to do with minimal (sure, some would be fine) emphasis on the underlying reasoning (not at all to disparage, just the opposite, but there's just a certain number of Vegas(s) out there, as in not many).

Actually, (hope not) this may encourage breaking some forum rule or other so I'm forced to use an extremely complex code you must decipher to consider this grand scheme. Uh, okay, there's things you'd need: like a name (catchy would help); a lot of time on your hands; a really good mind (you got that); a front cover and --this code business is tricky-- you know, one in back, too; things like that.

Know what, if this is too indistinct just pm me, I'll spell the whole thing out. Good luck, hope you'll think it over.

Last edited:

Violeta

@Ripley, I just had a great idea (!)((mediocre ideas come left and right, but this may be my first great one, ever)).

And the simplest thought spurred the whole thing; I wish all this thread information was condensed, perhaps simplified somewhat, and mostly about steps to take and things to do with minimal (sure, some would be fine) emphasis on the underlying reasoning (not at all to disparage, just the opposite, but there's just a certain number of Vegas(s) out there, as in not many).

Actually, (hope not) this may encourage breaking some forum rule or other so I'm forced to use an extremely complex code you must decipher to consider this grand scheme. Uh, okay, there's things you'd need: like a name (catchy would help); a lot of time on your hands; a really good mind (you got that); a front cover and --this code business is tricky-- you know, one in back, too; things like that.

Know what, if this is too indistinct just pm me, I'll spell the whole thing out. Good luck, hope you'll think it over.

Lou, what mushroom are you taking right now?

Vegas

I know that code. It's Navajo. It means: "sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about".

Ha, ha, so get Sushi to read it, we don't have too many Navajo speakers here in Virginia. It's actually encoded in ROT13.

On a serious note, do you get any myoclonus symptoms? The obnoxious jerky, twitchy muscle stuff. I don't recall.