• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The plausibility of NAC inducing b12 deficiency or 'methyl-trap'

godlovesatrier

My full stack has a fair bit of atp support too, or it should at least. Reishi extract 3x a day, r-ala 3x a day too.

Vitamin e and zinc in the am to reduce very high prolactin levels. No idea if this will significantly reduce them yet.

Currently taking 1g andrographis 3x a day too which I normally can't tolerate but I am trying it again because this stuff is amazing, got rid of some fatigue I had yesterday from a cold.

And the solar ray 24 strain probiotic is amazing, just took it thismorning after switching brands for a month (which went badly) and my depression/anxiety has lifted and I've got loads of energy. It also had an anti inflamatory effect as I felt my body relax.

At the weekends I take the b vitamins, but possibly if I add in cofactors it will allow me to take them without the tiredness and brainfog.

If that doesn't work lithium seems like a good shout.

GreenMachineX

Yes, the introduction of NAC can restore glutathione in a glutathione-depleted cell, thereby allowing the proper utilization of B12 within that cell. But this would not produce B12 deficiency or a "methylfolate trap" in that cell. If anything, it would reverse that cell's B12 deficiency and remove that cell's "methylfolate trap". So the symptoms you are seeing might be more of a "B12 restoration" than a "B12 deficiency".

It would be difficult, if not impossible, to say with any certainty what exactly causes the start-up effects that are associated with NAC. But the most obvious explanation is that the NAC allows cells that are low in glutathione, and possibly deficient in B12, to suddenly start utilizing the B12 from the blood and to break out of its "methylfolate trap".

Note that by the term "methylfolate trap" I am referring to the reduced methylation found in B12 deficiency. (see https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2005.05913.x ) I am NOT referring to the Yasko/Konynenburg/Freddd methylation traps, which are entirely separate, but related, hypotheses. Most posts on Phoenix Rising that mention "methylation trap" are referring to one of the Yasko/Konynenburg/Freddd hypotheses, not to the basic "methylfolate trap" found in B12 deficiency.

Of course, there are other perfectly plausible explanations for the start-up effects of NAC, but they all relate to the restoration of glutathione activity in glutathione-depleted cells.

Hope this helps. Apologies if I haven't been clear enough.

EDIT: clarifications and reference
Would some of that be why whey protein gives me insomnia? It didn't always, just recently after not having it for a year or 2.

GreenMachineX

Could also be a sulfur/thiol sensitivity. I can eat them but if I eat them too consistently I start getting pain in my lungs and migraine headaches. I do have some gene issues with stage 1 and stage 2 liver detoxing as well as CBS mutation so I don't think my system can process an overload of sulfur/thiols.
Like sore when taking a deep breath? Would overconsumption of broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts do this?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Like sore when taking a deep breath? Would overconsumption of broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts do this?

Yeah it feels like lungs are inflamed... almost like they are on fire.

I would say if you are getting this after eating those then I would suspect a sulfur/thiol sensitivity.

GreenMachineX

I would say if you are getting this after eating those then I would suspect a sulfur/thiol sensitivity.

Gotcha, thanks.

Pyrrhus

Could also be a sulfur/thiol sensitivity.
I would suspect a sulfur/thiol sensitivity.

A "sulfur/thiol sensitivity" is often a reference to a cysteine/methionine sensitivity, as is seen with the start-up effects of N-acetyl-cysteine.

In the case of certain vegetables, it can also be a reference to a sulforaphane/glucosinolate sensitivity.

But a cysteine/methionine sensitivity is not related to a sulforaphane/glucosinolate sensitivity, so there is no real basis for a generic "sulfur/thiol sensitivity".

Of course, it's still possible to have both a cysteine/methionine sensitivity as well as a sulforaphane/glucosinolate sensitivity...

I hope this is clear. For more information, see this excellent article:

Is There Really Such a Thing as Sulfur Intolerance? (Minich, 2018)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...hing-as-sulfur-intolerance-minich-2018.86817/

Last edited:

GreenMachineX

A "sulfur/thiol sensitivity" is usually a pseudo-scientific reference to a cysteine/methionine sensitivity, as is seen with the start-up effects of N-acetyl-cysteine.

In the case of certain vegetables, it is usually a pseudo-scientific reference to a sulforaphane/glucosinolate sensitivity.

But a cysteine/methionine sensitivity has nothing to do with a sulforaphane/glucosinolate sensitivity, so there is no scientific basis for a generic "sulfur/thiol sensitivity".

Of course, it's still possible to have both a cysteine/methionine sensitivity as well as a sulforaphane/glucosinolate sensitivity, but that doesn't mean that the two sensitivities are related in any way.

I hope this is clear. For more information, see this excellent article:

Is There Really Such a Thing as Sulfur Intolerance? (Minich, 2018)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...hing-as-sulfur-intolerance-minich-2018.86817/
Would a cysteine and methionine sensitivity result in insomnia when the offending foods are eaten?

Just wanted to add my experience to this-ive had severe b12 deficiency that was mostly resolved symptom-wise after months of treatment. I started taking NAC for 3 days and my symptoms (primarily nerve pain) came back in full force. Before, during and after taking NAC I was still on regular b12 injections. 2 months after taking NAC my symptoms are still not where they were before I took it. Other people on the b12 deficiency subreddit have had this experience too.

GreenMachineX

Just wanted to add my experience to this-ive had severe b12 deficiency that was mostly resolved symptom-wise after months of treatment. I started taking NAC for 3 days and my symptoms (primarily nerve pain) came back in full force. Before, during and after taking NAC I was still on regular b12 injections. 2 months after taking NAC my symptoms are still not where they were before I took it. Other people on the b12 deficiency subreddit have had this experience too.
Yeah, I've read on there whey can cause this as well.