• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange eye issues

I'm not sure how best to describe this. I've had this issue for a few days where it feels like I'm struggling to focus my eyes on something, but I can actually focus, it's not blurry. But it's just this strange almost woozy feeling to it. A bit like when the sky has that strange ethereal light at sunset and it makes your vision feel a bit funny. But this also feel like there's a pressure just behind my eyes, not painful and very slight.

Aside from being annoying, it's making it difficult to concentrate on anything. Feels like I've got brainfog with it. I've recently been trialling a very lose dose of trace minerals but I can't imagine anything in there could cause this? I recall having something similar about 4 years ago. I went to the opticians at that time but they didn't find anything wrong.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I noticed when I eat gluten it causes Anisocoria - different sized pupils that causes some of the things your talking about esp the additional brain fog. Those days are my googly eye days and makes me feel like I have one eye looking up and one eye looking down. It's very disconcerting and really makes it hard to think clearly. I get it on other days too though but gluten is a definite trigger for me. Maybe the minerals are doing that for you. ??

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

I noticed when I eat gluten it causes Anisocoria - different sized pupils that causes some of the things your talking about esp the additional brain fog. Those days are my googly eye days and makes me feel like I have one eye looking up and one eye looking down. It's very disconcerting and really makes it hard to think clearly. I get it on other days too though but gluten is a definite trigger for me. Maybe the minerals are doing that for you. ??

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had no idea there was a condition where you could get differently sized pupils. I just checked mine and that doesn't to be part of it for me. I guess it's possible it's some effect from the minerals but from my searching, I couldn't find any correlation between any the ingredients and eye issues. Though, as we know, our chronic bodies don't always follow conventional rules!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I couldn't find any correlation between any the ingredients and eye issues. Though, as we know, our chronic bodies don't always follow conventional rules!
No they surely don't. We have to be super sleuths all the time. Hope you can figure this out though.

Do your eyes feel dryer after you take the minerals? Salt, even though I need it, dries out my skin. Maybe one of the minerals is acting the same way for you.

Anyway, just throwing another piece of spaghetti at the wall to hopefully see if something sticks or even lends any clues for your super sleuthing.

Wishful

but I can't imagine anything in there could cause this?
Since we don't understand ME, we don't know that a mineral couldn't cause problems. Small amounts of iodine made a big difference for me. A neighbour had developed a severe anger problem, and a single selenium supplement tablet brought him back to normal. You could try starting/stopping the supplement and see whether the symptoms correlate. That's really the only way to know if it's having an effect on you as an individual.

My ME gives me double-vision, in a form that my optometrist can't measure. No obvious cause for it; I assume it's just some brain cells affected by ME.

LINE

The eyes are sensitive to oxidative stress, so antioxidants should boost protection. I like this product which is a combination of lutein and zeaxanthin which is a licensed formula. I have taken it a few times. Perhaps some beta carotene or vitamin a will help.

https://amzn.to/4bU98z7

JadeD

I get this exact symptom with my migraines both chronic and vestibular migraines. I can get these eye symptoms on a daily basis even on days when I don’t have a classic headache. You don’t have to have a headache with vestibular migraines and it can often cause visual problems among many other symptoms. Sometimes I find it hard to focus on objects far away like my eyes are darting about and not focusing on the whole picture it’s really hard to explain but I also have a pressure sensation and almost like they’re crossed. It’s so weird.

lenora

Hello @Mumbo_Jumbo.....I find that I get something similar to this for a few minutes after I've removed my reading glasses. In my case it clears on its own.

As I get older, I find eye problems abound. I have also complained to my optometrist and get nowhere.
Good luck with finding a cause....and then it will be something else. Yours, Lenora

Wayne

I find eye problems abound.

Hi @lenora -- I recently did a post on how important hyaluronic acid is for eye health. I did a bulk order shortly after on Amazon, and just received it in the mail yesterday. I'm looking forward to mixing it with a lotion and rubbing it on my eyelids every day.

One comment I ran across was by a man who apparently had a very large floater of many years standing go away after a few weeks of using it (can't remember if it was topically or internally). Dr. Berg's video I link to in the above post is pretty encouraging.

BulkSupplements.com Hyaluronic Acid Powder - Hyaluronic Acid Supplements, Hyaluronic Acid 215mg - Hyaluronic Acid Food Grade, Gluten Free - 215mg per Serving, 250g (8.8 oz) (Pack of 1)

Last edited:

lenora

Thanks, Wayne. Apparently castor oil (organic only) is rubbed on the eyelids and that doesn't hurt the eyes....so go for it, good luck and please report back to us. Yours, Lenora

Back