• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Symptom? Periphery vision loss in center for 1-2h

linusbert

yesterday evening when watching TV, suddenly i had a spot like the size of my thumb in exact middle of the field of vision. it was on both eyes. it got bigger, then somehow more on the left eye and it was getting so big and weird i feared i might loose vision.
i could not easy use my mobile to make a call because the center focus was missing , it was like the blind spot of the eye was exactly in the middle of my vision so i couldnt see the number i was posting and where my fingers where hitting the screen.
it got better after one hour and probably was gone after 2 hours.
first time i ever had anything like that. i know a bit of blurry vision from time to time, but this was horrific. i actually calmly panicked.
the FOV did not seamed to be much smaller.

i called the ambulance immediately and went to the emergency room, eye doctor did the measurements and couldnt find anything dramatically. she did take her time so i give her that. wasnt rushed.
i didnt go to ER with broken feet and hell of a pain, but this did send me over.

but the neurological doctor , AGAIN , was complete waste of time. instead of doing any imaging to rule out brain damage she just was doing a short finger test. like 1 minute and done. also i was waiting 4 hours for this. where as the eye doc was doing his examination like within 30 minutes.

this is the AI translation of the diagnostics:
1. Anisocoria: It is noted that the pupils are of different sizes (anisocoria), with the right eye (RA) being larger than the left eye (LA). This was not previously known based on the medical history. However, the direct and indirect light reaction of both eyes is normal.

2. No Ptosis: There is no ptosis (drooping of the eyelid). Eye movement is free, there are no double images, and no red desaturation (loss of red color vision). The visual field is intact according to the finger perimetry test.

3. Visual Acuity: The visual acuity (Visus) is normal in both eyes, with a value of 1.0.

4. Intraocular Pressure: The intraocular pressure (Tensio) is 12 mmHg in the right eye and 13 mmHg in the left eye, which is considered normal.

5. Cornea, Anterior Chamber, and Lens: The eyelids are unremarkable, the cornea (HH) is smooth and clear, the anterior chamber (VK) is deep and calm, and the lens is clear.

6. Fundus Examination (HAA):

Right Eye (RA): The fundus examination (HAA) shows clear, normally sized optic discs (papillae), a macula with a foveal reflex (indicating a healthy retina in the center), and the blood vessels are normal. There are no hemorrhages or pathological changes in the retina. A slight shimmering effect is noted at the 5 o’clock position.

Left Eye (LA): Similar findings to the right eye. There is a pigmented round formation at the 6 o’clock position and slight pigmentation at the 4 o’clock position, which may indicate older changes.

the eye diagnosis more detailed translated:
1. Right Eye (RA):

Clear EB: The report begins by stating that the fundus (EB) is clear, meaning it is well visible and free of any opacities.

Papilla r/s/v: The optic disc (papilla, the area where the optic nerve enters the retina) is clear, normal in shape and size.

Macula with Foveal Reflex: The macula (the central area of the retina responsible for sharp vision) shows a foveal reflex, which indicates a healthy retina in the macula area.

Normal Vessels: The blood vessels in the fundus are normal.

No Hemorrhages, No Foramina: There are no hemorrhages and no holes (foramina) in the retina.

NH Degeneration without Foramen: There is a slight degeneration of the retina (NH), but without holes.

Shimmering Effect at 5 O’clock: A slight shimmering effect is noted at the 5 o’clock position (relative to a clock face). This could indicate a minimal change or deposit, but it does not appear to be significant.

2. Left Eye (LA):

Clear EB: The fundus is also clear and free of opacities.

Papilla r/s/v: The optic disc is also clear and normal in size and shape.

Macula with Foveal Reflex: The macula also shows a healthy foveal reflex.

Normal Vessels: The blood vessels are also normal.

No Hemorrhages: There are no hemorrhages.

Pigmented Round Formation at 6 O’clock: A pigmented round formation is noted at the 6 o’clock position. This could indicate an older change, scar, or a pigment epithelium (a layer of cells in the retina). Such formations are often benign but should be monitored.

Slight Pigmentation at 4 O’clock: Another slight pigmentation is noted at the 4 o’clock position. This, too, could indicate an older change.

NH Lies Flat Circularly: The retina lies flat and circularly, meaning it is not detached or showing signs of detachment.

at least i got now a current eye doctor report of my eyes. despite some minor degredations i guess my eyes are fine. none of the biggies.

my interpretation of the situation was that my eye nerve got too less energy to sustain the peripher vision. or maybe my neck was compressing the eye nerve?

this is spooky.
i think i will get a epaper tablet and stop my laptop usage to a big degree. also no evening watching movies anymore when my big light is not on. i did not turn it on because mosquitos.

did you folks have similiar symptoms? whats the meaning of this?
and how can i fix this?

also the eye doctor found some minor scarring and degeneration. i was attributing this to sunlight from tanning and my all day looking at a lamp (monitor/tv)... in evening at bad light situations.

any supplements to help / fix this situation?
btw, i was taking a few days ago a high dose vitamin E supplement. not sure if it is related.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@linusbert- I googled "temporary loss of center field of vision" and found this:

https://www.allaboutvision.com/cond... blindness and blind spots,last up to an hour.

" Temporary blindness and blind spots (particularly in the center of the visual field) are symptoms associated with an ocular migraine. In most cases, only one eye is affected.

An ocular migraine blind spot may start small and grow in size. One episode can last up to an hour. The condition is caused by blood vessel spasms or blood flow issues in the retina. "

Wishful

I was going to suggest that ME affects brain cells, so that could cause those symptoms, but Mary's finding seems to fit much better and is a known condition. Definitely sounds scary though.

Last night I was looking at an indicator LED with my glasses off, and wow were there a lot of floaters drifting and spinning around. I was trying to figure out whether they wer floaters in my eye or dust on my eye, but inside seemed more likely by how they didn't change when blinking. Eye defects are scary.

linusbert

thanks Mary, thats very interesting read!!!

this feeds into a few theories i had. i had the bad light situation which also is described in the article , dark room bright light source (tv, monitor).

yes Wishful, this scared the shit out of me.

i think i fucked my self with UV light, because somehow i was stupid enough to do my 2x10-15 minutes of sun tanking in the previous week without eye protection!!!!! i didnt have a immediate effect, but the MDs observence of spots on the retina is also what i saw on my hands after being in sun. if i overdo it, and 10 minutes can be already overdoing it my skin and surely eyes get trouble.
sometimes i wonder how i can be such a baffoon, i knew it wasnt good the moment i did it, but i let sun shine on my face without protection for a few minutes so i do not get a white face while everything else is brown. i would like to punch myself right now.

maybe it just was another factor which added stress to the eye system. and then the TV give it the final push.

it was also very isolated, i did not have any other symptoms, besides some funny feeling in my head, not spinning but kinda weird. but i didnt have it in the moment, only when i got up later when the doctor team arrived.
what i also had was a thirst sensation despite not being really dehydrated. lasted for a few hours later. maybe i also got hydration wrong somehow.
the 2 days before were really hot. we have a warm peroid right now in germany. i felt the days kinda uncomfort to adjusting to heat the days before.
my bloodpressure and heart rate was lower than usual, i got like 110/70 and 60 , which sound perfectly normal, but my normal is more 130/90 and 80. so blood flow issues indeed could have contributed.

so this is what i will change immediately
- use my sunglasses as default glas for now, they have correct settings as well. that should give my eyes a little rest.
- i'd like to bandage my eyes but i do not have anything to bandage to give them completely darkness
- no more single bright light sources at night, so no more tv at night or i turn on my main lights so i have equal lighting in the room.
- i might get a epaper display and stop using my monitor all day.
funny is i started doing the sabbath where i do not do any electronics at all. God knew why he gave it to us.
- no more hanging in the sun without eye protection!!!!!!!!!!! and definitely not the next 1-2 weeks as my skin is still irritated anyways.

i wonder, the article seams to indicate this being normal medical science. how the crap does the university clinic neither the eye doctor nor the neuro doctor know of it. thats a explanation i would have wanted them to give me.

Last edited:

Florida Guy

I don't know if this is related or not, maybe not but I experience something like that occasionally. In my case its not dark its a little bright area in my vision. It then usually expands and has zig zag patterns that cover part or most of my view. It goes away after an hour or so and has no other symptoms

All I could find out was that this was very similar or the same as what some migraine sufferers get. They call it the aura but its usually accompanied by intense headache pain. In my case, just the visual and no pain. Weird huh?

linusbert

I don't know if this is related or not, maybe not but I experience something like that occasionally. In my case its not dark its a little bright area in my vision. It then usually expands and has zig zag patterns that cover part or most of my view. It goes away after an hour or so and has no other symptoms

All I could find out was that this was very similar or the same as what some migraine sufferers get. They call it the aura but its usually accompanied by intense headache pain. In my case, just the visual and no pain. Weird huh?
creepy!

Mary

Moderator Resource
This just reminded me of something that used to happen to my ex-husband. He would get ocular migraines on occasion, especially when he went too long without eating. e.g., he might have several cups of coffee and cigarettes and not eat till noon or so, by which time his vision would start to go wonky - I can't remember the exact symptoms, but he was told they were ocular migraines - no headache though. So if he made himself eat, kept his blood sugar stable, he'd be okay.

linusbert

This just reminded me of something that used to happen to my ex-husband. He would get ocular migraines on occasion, especially when he went too long without eating. e.g., he might have several cups of coffee and cigarettes and not eat till noon or so, by which time his vision would start to go wonky - I can't remember the exact symptoms, but he was told they were ocular migraines - no headache though. So if he made himself eat, kept his blood sugar stable, he'd be okay.
thats also interesting.
i am loosing weight since month , almost 10kg, probably cut down calories too much. the eyes got better the moment i ate my bread. could be incident but i have a lot of symptoms, actually almost all, which get better after eating.
also i am experimenting with new food sources.

Back