• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pancreas Damage, Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)

grapes

---------------------------------------
Cliff notes for Gallbladder Flush

Step 1
Take malic acid with water twice a day on empty stomach for month or two especially if first time (this dissolves cholesterol deposits over time) (I do just weekly ones but first time I went 8 weeks)

Step 2a
this is about making sure you emptied your colon ... epsom salt, not eating after 6pm night before, no more solid foods

Step 2b
Hour before flush, dissolve 1 tablespoon of epsom salt in warm water and drink

Step 2c
Flush
Mix 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup concentrated lemon juice and drink
Immediately lie down on right side curled up and wait at least 20 minutes
What will you feel ... likely nothing much ... stay close to toilet just in case
(Epsom salt will relax you and may put you to sleep)

After this, you understand process and can modify it accordingly

But if you're not breaking down fats well, wouldn't this be counterproductive?

grapes

Just finished reading this entire string of posts. And I will appreciate any replies to the following....

1) 2015---I had to detox very high copper and lead that was even affecting my brain. That 6 month detox put me down with horrendous and debilitating fatigue the entire 6 months. FAR worse than I read others having with a detox. So to have detox fatigue THAT bad tells me something was wrong underneath in me already.

2) 2016 --my first MAJOR crash of deep debilitating fatigue and took me at least 9 days to fully recover from. Just from lifting rocks onto a lower wall where I had cemented. But I had also just gotten over treating candida from hell due to having overtreated SIBO that happened after the copper detox in 2015.

3) 2016 also had another 6 month copper detox with fatigue from HELL.

4) 2018 presented itself with candida AGAIN but also aspergillus. I also was crashing easily again if I did too much AGAIN. Doc later in 2018 says this was all due to the low bile...as was the SIBO in 2015 after the copper detox...

5) It was the summer of 2018 that I started to see my stools not looking so good--ragged edges and lots of evening gas. All that was leading up to needing to start on Bile in December. I HAVE to have bile or I get nauseous...

6) 2019 has seen three horrid fatigue crashes. WHAT is going on?? Could all of the latter be due to pancreas??

HERE ARE MORE CLUES: I've done four OATS from 2015 until 2019, and all reveal poor breakdown of protein. Pancreatic enzyme problem? I have to say here that just by taking bile, my mid-January 2019 OAT showed improvement in 21 areas!!! That's huge. Yet, I still had two clear problems revealed in urine that I wasn't breaking down protein well...so bile has not changed that. If taking bile has improved 21 OAT results, yet two remain related to protein, could it be my pancreas??

Finally, those two results revealing poor protein breakdown in the 2019 OAT are said to be related to Glutaric Acididosis Type 2. I did find two homozygous mutations. But though they are over the desired range, it's just by 2 and 4 numbers. Just not sure that's enough for this protein problem and exasperating tendency to crash so badly to be from GA2....

BeADocToGoTo1

Hi. I'm thinking you don't understand that "one" capsule of Pure Encapsulations has 17,500 units of Lipase. That's a lot for what I'm learning from you. I can see opening the capsule and pouring part of it into another capsule, then taking that. Heading to the doc tomorrow, by the way, to talk about this.

Not sure how you are calculating that. For 500 units of lipase to start per meal, per kilogram of bodyweight, 17.5k per pill would be okay for anyone weighing 35kg (77 lbs). And since they are not enteric coated ones, a large chunk will likely not even make it past the acid bath.

I take around 100k per meal of enteric coated ones, to give you an idea.

grapes

Not sure how you are calculating that. For 500 units of lipase to start per meal, per kilogram of bodyweight, 17.5k per pill would be okay for anyone weighing 35kg (77 lbs). And since they are not enteric coated ones, a large chunk will likely not even make it past the acid bath.

I take around 100k per meal of enteric coated ones, to give you an idea.

I apologize! I missed that it was saying 500 units PER KILO!! I read too fast. lol

grapes

Went to the doc today. She wants to do an abdominal ultrasound to look at my gallbladder, liver, part of the pancreas, etc. Only after doing that can she order the stool testing, and it's a LOT of information. Looking forward to it.

By the way, this can explain a pancreas problem (if I do have a problematic one) in all this for ME: "Pancreatic dysfunction is frequently associated with elevated copper levels. Normal pancreatic function is highly dependent upon zinc and manganese, both of which are displaced by excessive levels of copper."

i.e. I HAD massively high copper levels a few years ago, and very low zinc.

BeADocToGoTo1

Progress. Although it boggles the mind why they would wait for the easiest and cheapest tests; stool. Your symptoms alone should have made her do them.

For a scan, the MRI of the abdomen with MRCP is highly recommended. It gives a 3D picture of the gallbladder and high resolution liver, pancreas, gallbladder, ducts, stomach intestines. It is what spotted my pancreas damage.

Are they doing an EUS, or is it non-invasive?

grapes

Progress. Although it boggles the mind why they would wait for the easiest and cheapest tests; stool. Your symptoms alone should have made her do them.

For a scan, the MRI of the abdomen with MRCP is highly recommended. It gives a 3D picture of the gallbladder and high resolution liver, pancreas, gallbladder, ducts, stomach intestines. It is what spotted my pancreas damage.

Are they doing an EUS, or is it non-invasive?

It's the hospital system here that requires an ultrasound first. I despise this hospital. She just said ultrasound. So I'll message her with what you recommended.

My Pure Encapsulation Pancreatin Enzymes come tomorrow.

I have also discovered that the protein powder I'm on is a reason I've been feeling very bloated. Didn't feel that with one scoop at 25 mg, but as I tried to go up to 75 on Friday, there came the bloating on Sunday and today. So I'm switching to egg white protein powder which will arrive Thursday.

grapes

DRUM ROLL. My Pure Encapsulations Pancreatic Enzymes came today. And, they are in "acid resistant" capsules. Took my first one with yogurt about 30 minutes ago. So here goes....

BeADocToGoTo1

DRUM ROLL. My Pure Encapsulations Pancreatic Enzymes came today. And, they are in "acid resistant" capsules. Took my first one with yogurt about 30 minutes ago. So here goes....

Perhaps a silly question, but have you checked for lactose intolerance? I usually have to tag on 2-3 lactaids when eating yoghurt to avoid uncomfortable side effects.

grapes

I have done pretty well on the Pure Encapsulations Pancreatic Enzymes since I started May 7th (8 days ago). I had a noticeable decrease in lactic acid climbing--that implies my mito are getting nutrients and performing better.

BUT....I'm now seeing the runs and slight nausea. Nothing else makes sense nor was anything else introduced since I started. And I do see that the runs and nausea can be side effects. So in spite of reading that you can never take too much, it's like I'm taking too much. Pure Encaps has this:

LIPASE 17,500 units
PROTEASE 110,000 units
Amylase 120,000 units

It says the capsules are acid-resistant. I'm thinking of NOT taking any tonite...then start on half of the capsules tomorrow and see.

I also have to say that when I think about it, I've had single episodes here or there the entire 8 days. Slight nausea here or there, elimination issues here or there. Today and another one were quite bad.

Any other ideas??

P.S. And I have also noticed twice that they seem to start a brief detox of some kind. That fits some things I've read, too. I know the symptoms of a detox, as I've had to do that several times the past three years due to candida and two high heavy metals.

Last edited:

BeADocToGoTo1

Not sure who mentioned that you cannot take too much. I notice a burning sensation in the stomach and slight nausea when I take too much. Too little and I notice yellower, softer stool. Initially my body also had to get used to it, but I never got the runs from it though. Usually it slows things down motility wise. I do get intestinal issues from things like yoghurt if I do not take lactose, and I have in the past from probiotics pills. Do you take probiotics? If so, you might want to stop those for a bit.

It could also be a sensitivity to the batch, the brand, to pork products or something unrelated to the pancrelipase. You could try a different brand until you get a prescription version. Do you keep a diary of all the things you eat and drink, medicine and supplements and the symptoms?

grapes

Yes, do take probiotics, but have never had an issue with them like I am with the digestive enzymes. Not sensitive to pork either. So I'm going to stay off of them today, as I'm still seeing issues. Then when I restart, will restart with a different version I have with much lower amounts.

UPDATE: I was off almost two days, and today I started on 1/2 the capsule. No problem. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

BeADocToGoTo1

Yes, do take probiotics, but have never had an issue with them like I am with the digestive enzymes. Not sensitive to pork either. So I'm going to stay off of them today, as I'm still seeing issues. Then when I restart, will restart with a different version I have with much lower amounts.

UPDATE: I was off almost two days, and today I started on 1/2 the capsule. No problem. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the update. I was wondering how you were doing.

One other brand to consider, until prescription, is LifeExtension who also have pancreatic enzyme versions. I have not tried it but a friend has been using them without issues. Enhanced Super Digestive Enzymes is the (silly) name.

grapes

Well, couldn't even tolerate half the dose. So I'm going to stay off awhile and let my system clear out and/or get less sensitive.

BeADocToGoTo1

Well, couldn't even tolerate half the dose. So I'm going to stay off awhile and let my system clear out and/or get less sensitive.

Keep us posted. I cannot remember if you had mentioned this, but have you had a comprehensive stool test done yet that looks for pathogens, bacteria levels, microbiome dysbiosis, SCFA, bile acids, pancreatic elastase, fecal fat distribution. How about an intestinal permeability (leaky gut) test? How about gluten sensitivity?

grapes

Hi. Yes, sent the comprehensive stool test in on Friday which looks at all you mentioned, plus can reveal leaky gut. I don't seem to have issues with gluten directly. Eagerly waiting for the results to come back.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant

According to this site, poor methylation can lead to sludgy bile and gallstones. Taurine can help to increase bile production.
Many people find they have gallbladder sludge from an ultrasound, but what they aren’t told is it is caused by the body using sugar in place of methyl groups or sulfate groups. As the sticky, sludgy bile sits day after week after month after year, it begins to inflame and damage the gallbladder. This is when bile gets dehydrated, cholesterol starts to crystalize and the dreaded gallbladder stones begin to form. Not only does this “sticky” situation prevent adequate detoxification of bile, heavy metals, hormones, drugs and other toxins we need to remove, it will eventually create disease in the organ itself.

So the way we prevent this is through optimizing methylation by increasing taurine, phosphatidylcholine, folate, B12, and TMG. Taurine is produced by the methyl cycle, and when taurine is given to rats with gallbladder sludge, their bile gets slippery again and rescues their liver from damage. The methylation genes PEMT and BHMT are found in the liver and they make choline phospholipids which are necessary to keep the bile flowing. Choline protects the liver and gallbladder against damage from the detergent action of bile and it promotes movement of cholesterol into the bile so it can be removed from the body. When we run out of choline, cholesterol and fat literally get stuck in our liver and muscles, leading to fatty liver disease and muscle damage.

You can get choline from lecithin. NOW brand makes sunflower lecithin in liquid and powder; I recommend the powder for taste. Taking lecithin with a meal can help to emulsify fats, and lecithin has many other benefits. Beware that taurine can lower blood pressure.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Any other ideas??

Many people (including me) use Enzymedica brand digestive enzymes. They're high quality, and acid stable so they start breaking down food immediately when in the stomach. They also don't contain any fillers and come in very small capsules. They have three doses available: Basic, Digest (twice the strength of Basic), and Digest Gold (twice the strength of Digest). Gold includes some extra supplements.

Enzymedica also has Lypo Gold which is a high dose lipase supplement for fat digestion (up to 23 grams of fat digested in 1/2 hour). Some people (including me) don't tolerate it because it causes abdomen pain, others do tolerate it well, and one person even said she uses it instead of Creon.